2024 Free Agents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2024 Free Agents

Post by IIsweet »

The obvious is the assumption that we are trading the picks to move up to 3 or 4. Looking at sites and their early rankings of next year QB class is a significant hit from this years top 6. Only Shadeur grades as high as the 6 this year. However, at this time last year, I doubt Daniels, Nix, and Penix were as high also.
With that being the case, I expect a trade up to 3 or 4. I imagine that KOC and KAM are good with any of the top4. Caleb, Jayden, Drake, JJ.
I have to think that they want Maye or JJ. Maye is the big prototype QB, bigger and more athletic than Cousins, he is closer to Mahomes size. This is also what KOC sees as a former big QB. JJ may have the intangibles of a Tom Brady in being the ultimate competitor.
What would make this draft exciting is if they stay put, trade down at11, still land and elite defender or WR and still get their QB if its Penix or Nix.
Maybe they dealt back into the 1st because they need one of these top WRs because JJ is not going to resign with the Vikings ???
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:52 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm
Do either of you think that the Chargers would deal Herbert? Perhaps our 2 1st rounders and JJ? Then Harbough can select JJ Mc and have his own guy plus fix his cap and WR problem. That could be a gain for both teams. I don't think KAM wants to pay JJ the money he is looking for.
If the Chargers are dealing Herbert, then the GM would need to be drug tested :lol:

That being said, I'm not dealing JJ for him. The 2 1sts and something else, but definitely not JJ in the deal. A Herbert JJ, TJ, AJ and JA would be a lethal offense with O'Connell. But, I think Herbert was probably the reason that Harbaugh took the job to begin with
You're probably right and Herbert won't be available. JJ will need to be part if they want to move up.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:50 pm

I have think that they're contemplating moving up or else they wouldn't have gotten the 1st from Houston. That being said, I agree that it would take a king's ransom to get that 2nd pick which I agree that the Vikings would be foolish to try attain. They can get their choice of Maye or Nix or even Penix in the late 1st.
Do either of you think that the Chargers would deal Herbert? Perhaps our 2 1st rounders and JJ? Then Harbough can select JJ Mc and have his own guy plus fix his cap and WR problem. That could be a gain for both teams. I don't think KAM wants to pay JJ the money he is looking for.
It is my understanding that due to some salary escalators it would be virtually impossible for the Chargers to trade Herbert.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:35 pm The obvious is the assumption that we are trading the picks to move up to 3 or 4. Looking at sites and their early rankings of next year QB class is a significant hit from this years top 6. Only Shadeur grades as high as the 6 this year. However, at this time last year, I doubt Daniels, Nix, and Penix were as high also.
With that being the case, I expect a trade up to 3 or 4. I imagine that KOC and KAM are good with any of the top4. Caleb, Jayden, Drake, JJ.
I have to think that they want Maye or JJ. Maye is the big prototype QB, bigger and more athletic than Cousins, he is closer to Mahomes size. This is also what KOC sees as a former big QB. JJ may have the intangibles of a Tom Brady in being the ultimate competitor.
What would make this draft exciting is if they stay put, trade down at11, still land and elite defender or WR and still get their QB if its Penix or Nix.
Maybe they dealt back into the 1st because they need one of these top WRs because JJ is not going to resign with the Vikings ???
I'm guessing that the speculation we will trade up to pick a QB is accurate and I'm sick over it. There is a good chance that Kwesi is enough of an idiot to package 11-23 and next years likely high first round pick to do this. I'm even more sick over that. I hold out a sliver of hope that we stand pat and take the best QB option available at 11 or BPA and best QB available at 23, but it's just a dream.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Soooooo.....
Would you trade JJ for the 5th pick in the draft, and a future pick?
To me, that's a tough call.
Picks 5, 11, and 23 could very easily turn into a major roster upgrade with an infusion of youth on rookie contracts.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

IIsweet wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:06 pm Soooooo.....
Picks 5, 11, and 23 could very easily turn into a major roster upgrade with an infusion of youth on rookie contracts.
To me that comes down to how much he wants per year. It would also take more than just pick 5.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:14 pm
To me that comes down to how much he wants per year. It would also take more than just pick 5.
If he is asking more than they are willing to pay then they need to get something before he leaves for nothing. Getting nothing but a FA comp pick would be dumb. If you tag him he will ask for a trade like Higgins just did.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:14 pm

If he is asking more than they are willing to pay then they need to get something before he leaves for nothing. Getting nothing but a FA comp pick would be dumb. If you tag him he will ask for a trade like Higgins just did.
So the tag rate is around 22 million and the highest paid WR currently is Tyreek Hill at an average of 30 million a year. How high are you willing to go on a non QB? The cap went up 30 million this year. For me I'd go no higher than 34 million per year which would tie him with the highest paid edge rusher in football. If you have a QB on a rookie deal you can do that though. You just have to make sure you hit on that QB.
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

No because I don't like the options at 5 much more than the options at 11.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm
So the tag rate is around 22 million and the highest paid WR currently is Tyreek Hill at an average of 30 million a year. How high are you willing to go on a non QB? The cap went up 30 million this year. For me I'd go no higher than 34 million per year which would tie him with the highest paid edge rusher in football. If you have a QB on a rookie deal you can do that though. You just have to make sure you hit on that QB.
The odds of hitting on a QB are not very good. Even for a team that drafts very well like the 49ers it took a stroke of luck to find a guy that could play decent on a rookie deal. I'm sure they never felt Purdy could play the way he has. Maybe become a backup QB if everything broke perfect. The pros don't know much more than us fans posting on this site and they get to see much more film and talk with the guys. That's why I think the Falcons were smart to sign Kirk. Certainly that doesn't guarantee anything but it's better than lining some stiff up behind center week after week. Plus they keep their pick and can still select a guy to groom or trade it for a mountain of picks. I'd prefer doing that over starting with a blank page and bringing broken down players in hoping they figure it out like Mullens and Darnold. That's called spinning your wheels.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:55 pm

The odds of hitting on a QB are not very good. Even for a team that drafts very well like the 49ers it took a stroke of luck to find a guy that could play decent on a rookie deal. I'm sure they never felt Purdy could play the way he has. Maybe become a backup QB if everything broke perfect. The pros don't know much more than us fans posting on this site and they get to see much more film and talk with the guys. That's why I think the Falcons were smart to sign Kirk. Certainly that doesn't guarantee anything but it's better than lining some stiff up behind center week after week. Plus they keep their pick and can still select a guy to groom or trade it for a mountain of picks. I'd prefer doing that over starting with a blank page and bringing broken down players in hoping they figure it out like Mullens and Darnold. That's called spinning your wheels.
Eventually though you're going to have to develop a great QB in order to win a Super Bowl these days. I wish the Vikings had been throwing more darts at the board in prior years on preparation for Kirk leaving though. I think it was time to move on from Kirk at his age coming off an achilles. I think he will fall off before that contract is up. The Viking have built up a great "nest" for a young QB to come in to and have success. With KOC, McCown, and Darnold to give the young guy guidance and knowledge that's about as good of a situation you can have. They also have great weapons to throw to and two good tackles. The interior offensive line is scary to me but they have time to shore that up.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:26 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 am
Eventually though you're going to have to develop a great QB in order to win a Super Bowl these days. I wish the Vikings had been throwing more darts at the board in prior years on preparation for Kirk leaving though. I think it was time to move on from Kirk at his age coming off an achilles. I think he will fall off before that contract is up. The Viking have built up a great "nest" for a young QB to come in to and have success. With KOC, McCown, and Darnold to give the young guy guidance and knowledge that's about as good of a situation you can have. They also have great weapons to throw to and two good tackles. The interior offensive line is scary to me but they have time to shore that up.
They need to develop a guy that's true. Great can mean something different to every fan. Some think to be great it's Super Bowl victory after Super Bowl victory. There's only one of them right now and I highly doubt there's one sitting in this years draft. Even the one that does it isn't on some team with a bunch of holes. That entire team is strong. They won this years champ game with a dominating defense. They only let the great Lamar put up 10 points. If he is considered great. Mahomes put up 17. That's not a knock on Mahomes but it certainly helps when your D can take over a big game. The Ravens defense is good. Their O couldn't do much. Our IOL will kill us again. We have nothing at LG. I expect some draft pick to be plugged in and be terrible. I'm not as sold on O'Neil as most are. He's certainly not the player he once was when he wasn't giving up a sack. Those days are over. They decided to let Kirk walk. They are the experts. You never know how a year will unfold in the NFC. The Ram squad basically rebuilt in a snap of a finger. They draft very well. Teams with nothing at QB are done before it starts. We'll see what they do.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/3/18 ... ree-agency
Defensive lineman Jonah Williams has been a member of the Minnesota Vikings before. By this time tomorrow, he’ll have already exceeded the time he spent in purple the last time he was here.

Numerous sources are reporting that the Vikings and Williams have agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million deal. The deal won’t have any effect on the Vikings’ potential Compensatory picks, which is something we touched on briefly earlier today.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Nah. Last time the Vikings had 3 1st round picks they got Sharif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, and Cordarrelle Patterson. Not that they'd have the exact same luck but there's more than enough cap space to sign him now, I wouldn't even consider it at this point.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:27 am
Nah. Last time the Vikings had 3 1st round picks they got Sharif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, and Cordarrelle Patterson. Not that they'd have the exact same luck but there's more than enough cap space to sign him now, I wouldn't even consider it at this point.
The amazing thing is Cordarrelle Patterson is still in the league. Before looking it up I would have said he's been gone for awhile. Rhodes had a good career and Floyd was injured. If I was running the team I would certainly listen to trade offers for JJ. If they are looking to get into the top 5 maybe pick 2 or 3 of the draft they may have to deal him to make that move happen. I just can't see paying a WR 35+ mill a year. Yes JJ is one of the best. If Addison continues to improve there is no way they can afford 2 top WRs unless they sacrifice other high paying position like QB, LT, pass rusher ect.........