Vikings at Broncos

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VAVike
Waterboy

Re: Vikings at Broncos

Post by VAVike »

Even with three turnovers we should have / could have won that game.

I thought the play calling in the 4th Quarter was questionable, and I don't know if it's just me, but I think this is a trend with KOC. He seems to play to not lose in the second half rather than capitalizing on what went right in the first half and putting the gas on and his foot on the opponent's throat.

The two very pedestrian looking hand-offs to Mattison to start the second to last drive was when I realized we were going to lose that game. :x
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Just didn’t make enough plays u can’t fumble have punts go into the end zone give up a 75 yard drive etc. I’m sure I’ll catch some flak but Dobbs showed why he is a journeyman made some real nice athletic plays but most of those throws were terrible. Chandler really needs to start I’ve seen enough of mattison. They had their chance.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Knew we would lose. Didnt expect the Oline to fall apart, or the D thats couldnt stop anything in the end. Lucky to get a few more wins, not even a wild card I dont think after watching tonights game.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Raz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 am Just didn’t make enough plays u can’t fumble have punts go into the end zone give up a 75 yard drive etc. I’m sure I’ll catch some flak but Dobbs showed why he is a journeyman made some real nice athletic plays but most of those throws were terrible. Chandler really needs to start I’ve seen enough of mattison. They had their chance.
A lot of thats on KO. COTY my butt
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Raz wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 am Just didn’t make enough plays u can’t fumble have punts go into the end zone give up a 75 yard drive etc. I’m sure I’ll catch some flak but Dobbs showed why he is a journeyman made some real nice athletic plays but most of those throws were terrible. Chandler really needs to start I’ve seen enough of mattison. They had their chance.
Agree and it seems like he's holding the ball too long.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This looked like an early in the year game and why we couldn't win. Sloopy football with penalties putting us in a hole. Mati fumble was a back breaker. Dobbs did ok but handling the snap was a problem twice. He threw a sure interception on the 2nd or 3rd drive but Denver dropped it. Chandler made a nice step up block which allowed Dobbs to throw that dead duck to a wide open Hock. He did have a nice TD run. Powell showed a nice burst on the middle catch and run. Blackmon had a target on him but he played tough for a rookie 3rd rounder. Not much from Addison. More bad than good in this one. I guess Mullens will get a chance now.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

3 turnovers and all 3 turnovers Denver got points off of them.
Hard to win games with turnovers.
Thought the loss was a team effort. Bad play calling again by KOC.
Hopefully we have a good game against the Bears.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Dobbs was brought in to try and salvage our season. Because when Cousins got hurt we really didn’t have any experienced QB’s.
He has won 2 games for us. KOC didn’t do him any favors with his play calling against Denver.
I never thought we was going to win out.
Agree...I have seen enough of Mattison he needs to sit for awhile.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Ty Chandler — 14 touches, 110 yards from scrimmage, 0 fumbles.

Put. The. Man. In.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:21 am Ty Chandler — 14 touches, 110 yards from scrimmage, 0 fumbles.

Put. The. Man. In.
I thought him and Mattison complemented each other well. I agree Mattison needs to be the second option. Demoted, basically. But I don't know that I want Chandler as a "every down" guy. I love how hard Mattison runs and in situations where they need that I think he's the best on the roster. I think if we made Chandler full time and put him in those situations in addition he wouldn't look as great.

I'm not as concerned with Mattison's fumbles. They suck and stay in your memory but he doesn't have more than normal. He's had 2 fumbles in 173 rushes/catches or one every 86 touches. The current top RB in the league has a rate of one fumble every 87 touches. Christian McCaffrey has 3 fumbles over 217 touches or once every 72 touches.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The defense came through over and over again. I won't blame them for not being able to be perfect and giving up a touch down when it might have been at least 2 TDs on top of that for many other defenses in the league.

This is the first game where they really missed Jefferson. They were all over Hockenson and Addison and if Jefferson had been on the field at least one of them would have been open more. I'm not sure where Osborn was but he only had two targets. Maybe still not 100%? I don't recall if he went out. Then there's being able to throw it to a target like Jefferson is huge for a QB like Dobbs in the first place. An WR that can bail you out a little better and consistently complete those contested passes. I think Jefferson's absence was the deciding factor in this game. If he had been in it's a win, I believe.

It's a disappointing loss but giving the ball up 3 times and not taking it back at all is the only stat you even really need to look at. Just having a -1 turn over differential is 70% loss rate. At -3 I think it's 90% or something like that. The Vikings defense worked a miracle just keeping the team in the game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Is it just me, or have the Vikings stopped trying deep passes? I mean, forget completing any deep passes. How about even attempting one in a game?

I don't blame the lack of deep attempts for the loss last night, but it seems like KOC is just crawling into a shell once his team takes the lead with very conservative and predictable playcalling. Runs up the middle on 1st down over and over and over. He's been dancing with the devil the last few weeks playing like he had something to lose in the 2nd halves of games and he finally got burned by it last night.

Turnovers and a failure to execute in the red zone by the offense are the cause of the loss last night, but the undercurrent holding the team back is a lack of aggressiveness on offense and lack of discipline overall. Until those two things are properly addressed we can expect every single game to be close at best regardless of the opponent.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

We were outcoached. Both KO and Flores. Flores had the D playing well, but at times, faltered. Esp when we needed a stop the most. Denver went right down the field and scored a TD. We aernt a good team, maybe average, but not even good.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:37 am We were outcoached. Both KO and Flores. Flores had the D playing well, but at times, faltered. Esp when we needed a stop the most. Denver went right down the field and scored a TD. We aernt a good team, maybe average, but not even good.
Blackmon was in good position on the duck ball TD, but just didn't make the play on the ball and instead took a whack at the receiver's hands. Maybe that is coached, but when Wilson let it fly I was sure it was going to be picked. Hard to blame Flores for that.

Vikings defense also created no turnovers to counter the turnovers Denver's defense created. Pace almost got one but close only counters in horseshoes and hand grenades. Josh M also had a good shot at a pick to keep 3 points off the board at the end of the 1st but he muffed it. That stuff adds up unfortunately.

Also, did anyone notice how few calls Dobbs is getting? That hit that caused the fumble honestly looked like it could have been an ejection, much less an obvious 15 yard penalty. No call. Then later there were two plays where the defender clearly hits Dobbs facemask. One was the duck ball throw he managed to get off to Hockenson for a nice gain, but there was another one as well. If Dobbs is Rodgers or Brady on either of those, the defender would have been locked up in the stadium jail. For Dobbs, no call on either one.

I hate to complain about the refs but at least as far as them protecting the QB goes, they did an a$$ job of that last night as far as Dobbs was concerned.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:37 am We were outcoached. Both KO and Flores. Flores had the D playing well, but at times, faltered. Esp when we needed a stop the most. Denver went right down the field and scored a TD. We aernt a good team, maybe average, but not even good.
Did expect Flores to shut them out? We fumbled on our first possession and I thought we just gave them a TD. But only a FG. That long drive hurt but you will give up something. I thought KO did some good things. Direct snap to Chandler worked. We are playing with a journeyman QB and got beat by one point on the road. We had a chance to still drive down for a FG attempt and win. In that location you can try from 70 yards and have a chance.