Who Starts?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Who Starts?

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:17 am
StanM wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:04 am Hall knows the playbook and was moving the chains when he got hurt. He was changing plays at the LOS and showed a lot of poise. I wish that we could have seen a whole game sample.

Dobbs is smart and athletic and looked great with KOC in his ear. This could go south for Dobbs if he shows us the reason he’s been on so many teams in such a short time. Hall looks like protecting the ball and so I think there is some talent there as well. I think things will become more obvious when we have several weeks of Dobbs. At this point I think the fans would go ballistic if they send Dobbs to the bench.
I agree that Hall looked pretty good. He sailed the easy TD over Hockenson but other than that he looked like he was in control and made some nice throws. I definitely wanted to see more from him and I hope he is able to fully recover from his injury.

But I still think the job was never Hall's to lose. Even if he had done well against the Falcons and the Vikings not been forced to use Dobbs, I think KOC would have replaced Hall with Mullens once Mullens was ready unless Hall really lit it up. The same could very well happen with Dobbs if he regresses against the Saints, which is very possible.

It will be interesting to see what happens if all 3 QBs are healthy. Dobbs will have the inside track if he continues to play well, but if I were a betting man I'd say the odds still favor Mullens to take over at QB once he's healthy.
I agree with both of you. I was impressed with Hall. It was a small sample and we saw some good and bad which is expected for any rookie at that position. That play to Matti was great. I don't recall Matti running a route like that this season. It was an easy pass but Hall made that easy play. Even the shorter pass to Mundt was a good pass, catch and run. Seems the coaching had them figured out. But I expect Mullens to get in there once ready to go. I just don't see things breaking as they did for Dobbs week in and week out. Nobody wants to see Mannion in there. I think he played once when Kirk had Covid and it wasn't pretty.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:23 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am Why do people seem to think Dobbs played well? 20-30 for 150 is 5 yards per pass attempt. Not good.
Hall was 5-6 for 78 13 yards per pass attempt. Good.
Did you see the game, or are you just going off a stat line?

Go watch the video I posted. That’s why I think he played well.
I didn't watch the game, but if I had and saw him get 150 yards out of 30 passing attempts I don't think I would have been impressed. We won. He got the job done. That's about it.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:20 pm

I didn't watch the game, but if I had and saw him get 150 yards out of 30 passing attempts I don't think I would have been impressed. We won. He got the job done. That's about it.
Several of those incompletes are drops. He's taking snaps from a center he's never played with. WRs he's never played with. A play book he's had for 4 days. His stats came in 3 quarters. He also had 7 carries for 66 yards and was the Vikings leading rusher. He's responsible for 3 TDs.

I recommend you watch the game.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK then.

Never mind.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:52 am The thing that helped Dobbs the most IMO was his 66 yards and one touchdown rushing. I'm not a huge fan of watching a QB run around trying to make something out of nothing but others are. That adds another level of taking hits. It also adds more wear and tear. He takes more of a chance of getting knocked out of the game. We seen that with Hall. I like a guy with his skill set to be a guy that can come in off the bench and cause havoc. More than likely he is what he is at this point in his career. If he did a turn around the Cards would have kept him and dealt rookie Tune for a better draft pick. I think they took the take it or leave it deal. There season is over anyway. Looks like they are in a race for pick No 1. They can either select the greatest QB ever if he will play for them and trade Murray for a bunch of draft picks or trade No 1 for a bunch of draft picks.
I think that “taking hits” ship sailed a long time ago when Kirk came to the Vikings. He makes Unitas (one of my childhood favorites) look like a statue. Kirk is pretty much a drop back passer like everyone except Tarkenton was in those days. Dobbs becomes a runner when he scrambles and that makes him a fair target but if he is smart about getting out of bounds and avoiding hits by going down I’d say it’s not as bad as Kirk taking shots to the ribs for three hours every weekend.

The intangible is what KOC can do over the headset to help Dobbs. A lot has been said about that this week. The main thing with Dobbs is that he needs to be consistent and protect the ball. Hall threw for something like 78 yards with only one incompletion in eleven plays. That he was on pace to eclipse 300 yards seems like a reasonable assumption.

After this second week of Dobbs we should have a better idea where we’re at.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:29 am
Several of those incompletes are drops. He's taking snaps from a center he's never played with. WRs he's never played with. A play book he's had for 4 days. His stats came in 3 quarters. He also had 7 carries for 66 yards and was the Vikings leading rusher. He's responsible for 3 TDs.

I recommend you watch the game.
Those are reasons why he didn't play well. Not reasons why he did. He did have a lot of rushing yards so in that aspect alone he played well.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:59 am
OK then.

Never mind.
A person doesn't have to watch the game to know if somebody played well or not. Getting 150 yards out of 30 pass attempts is not playing well. Simple as that. He got a lot of rushing yards. That's good.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:20 pm
OK then.

Never mind.
A person doesn't have to watch the game to know if somebody played well or not. Getting 150 yards out of 30 pass attempts is not playing well. Simple as that. He got a lot of rushing yards. That's good.
Kapp's never mind answer is the right one, I've learned.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:36 pm
Kapp's never mind answer is the right one, I've learned.
If you think so. He did not play well.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:40 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:52 am The thing that helped Dobbs the most IMO was his 66 yards and one touchdown rushing. I'm not a huge fan of watching a QB run around trying to make something out of nothing but others are. That adds another level of taking hits. It also adds more wear and tear. He takes more of a chance of getting knocked out of the game. We seen that with Hall. I like a guy with his skill set to be a guy that can come in off the bench and cause havoc. More than likely he is what he is at this point in his career. If he did a turn around the Cards would have kept him and dealt rookie Tune for a better draft pick. I think they took the take it or leave it deal. There season is over anyway. Looks like they are in a race for pick No 1. They can either select the greatest QB ever if he will play for them and trade Murray for a bunch of draft picks or trade No 1 for a bunch of draft picks.
I think that “taking hits” ship sailed a long time ago when Kirk came to the Vikings. He makes Unitas (one of my childhood favorites) look like a statue. Kirk is pretty much a drop back passer like everyone except Tarkenton was in those days. Dobbs becomes a runner when he scrambles and that makes him a fair target but if he is smart about getting out of bounds and avoiding hits by going down I’d say it’s not as bad as Kirk taking shots to the ribs for three hours every weekend.

The intangible is what KOC can do over the headset to help Dobbs. A lot has been said about that this week. The main thing with Dobbs is that he needs to be consistent and protect the ball. Hall threw for something like 78 yards with only one incompletion in eleven plays. That he was on pace to eclipse 300 yards seems like a reasonable assumption.

After this second week of Dobbs we should have a better idea where we’re at.
That's a good point about taking shots to the ribs vs being smart when you run. I never looked at it that way. Dobbs can avoid the rib shots and look for yardage and take no shots if he chooses.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

OK then.

Never mind.
You’re wrong. You do need to watch, or your comments have zero merit.

Also, what are you saying now?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:25 pm

I made a simple statement he did not play well. You want to throw out his understandable rough start. In analyzing his play you can't do that. It's part of how he played.
Cliff says under the circumstances he played well. Better than expected due to very limited time with the team that kind of stuff. So Maybe he played well considering the circumstances. That's not the same as playing well. He managed to get us a win. I'm good with that. Now he managed to get us another win. I watched and he played very well in the first half. Went into a shell in the 2nd half. Almost cost us the game. I hate KOC's IMO ridiculously gutless choices on punting when every analytic says we shouldn't. Of kicking short FGs on 4th and one.

I think Dobbs has shown himself to be an adequate starting NFL QB this season. I say Dobbs played well overall this most recent game and should continue to start for us even once Mullens and Hall are ready.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:00 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:25 pm

I made a simple statement he did not play well. You want to throw out his understandable rough start. In analyzing his play you can't do that. It's part of how he played.
Cliff says under the circumstances he played well. Better than expected due to very limited time with the team that kind of stuff. So Maybe he played well considering the circumstances. That's not the same as playing well. He managed to get us a win. I'm good with that. Now he managed to get us another win. I watched and he played very well in the first half. Went into a shell in the 2nd half. Almost cost us the game. I hate KOC's IMO ridiculously gutless choices on punting when every analytic says we shouldn't. Of kicking short FGs on 4th and one.

I think Dobbs has shown himself to be an adequate starting NFL QB this season. I say Dobbs played well overall this most recent game and should continue to start for us even once Mullens and Hall are ready.
You made a statement about a guy’s play when you didn’t watch him play. Therefore your statement is complete bullsh*t.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:34 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:00 pm

You made a statement about a guy’s play when you didn’t watch him play. Therefore your statement is complete bullsh*t.
I guess it's not possible to analyze a players play by the stats. Got it. I haven't watched Tyreek Hill play this year except for some highlights. I guess that means I'm not qualified to say he's been playing well. Anybody who says he has been playing well without watching his games from start to finish is talking complete Bullsh#t.
Of course I'm exaggerating to prove a point. I get that if I had watched Dobbs play the Falcons game I would be more qualified to speak on his performance. However, my not having watched the game IMO doesn't 100% invalidate anything I have to say about his performance. If you think my saying he didn't play well means I'm saying he played poorly you are reading too much into mycomment. I by no means am saying he played poorly. It just doesn't seem like he played well. I could be wrong. The box score certainly doesn't tell the whole story. It tells part of the story.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:46 pm Y’all NEED to watch this. It’s almost 40 minutes, but I guarantee you will learn something.

This guy knows what he’s talking about. He’s knowledgeable — far more knowledgeable than anyone doing this kind of analysis for public consumption — and he’s honest. If Dobbs gets it wrong, he calls it and tells you why. He talks about Dobbs’ rough start. But he also makes it clear as to why Josh Dobbs is a pro’s pro. He doesn’t just spout it as a talking-head opinion. He tells you why, in great detail.

At this point, it’s about winning. Now is not the time to see what we have in a rookie. We need a professional quarterback. Watch this video and you’ll see … Dobbs is the guy.

I watched the Video. I saw some good. I saw a lot of bad. He almost blew the first TD pass by throwing it behind the runner. He gritted it out and we got the win. After watching this video am I now qualified to share my opinion? If so I still wouldn't call it playing well. He didn't play bad. He played just well enough for us to win. I'll take it. He looked much better in the first half of the Saints game. I'll blame the second half on KOC.