Will Levis 1st game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Will Levis 1st game

Post by CharVike »

Levis had 4 TD passes in his first game. I remember him from last years draft so I checked the message board. There's always good input during the draft and a couple said we should take him because we need a guy behind Cousins to take over when the time comes. There was an article posted saying the Vikings were very much interested pre draft. Of course KAM traded our 2nd round pick for stone hands so that also but us in a bind. Hooker was also mentioned but I don't think he has played yet. I watched his highlights against the Falcons and as Levis said during the combine I want to show off my cannon and he did it here. Man can he throw the ball. That always a huge plus because defense need to cover the entire field. Of course the Falcons have no pass rush and Levis could step into every throw. If we draft a guy he better have a rocket arm or at least as good as old man Kirk.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Will Levis 1st game

Post by VikingLord »

For the record, Hockenson has been dominant in his last two games. He's catching everything and getting tough yards after the catch as well.

Not sure what caused his struggles in the earlier part of the season but they seem to be gone now.

As far as Levis goes, I thought he was a good prospect coming out, but was not sold on him in the 1st round and definitely didn't want the Vikings to try to trade up for him if they were set on taking a QB. He went with the first or second pick of the 2nd round, so I don't think KAM could have swung a reasonable trade up to snag him even if he did have the Vikings 2nd rounder last year.

He had a good first game and it will be interesting to see how he does as opposing DCs get more tape on him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:02 pm For the record, Hockenson has been dominant in his last two games. He's catching everything and getting tough yards after the catch as well.

Not sure what caused his struggles in the earlier part of the season but they seem to be gone now.

As far as Levis goes, I thought he was a good prospect coming out, but was not sold on him in the 1st round and definitely didn't want the Vikings to try to trade up for him if they were set on taking a QB. He went with the first or second pick of the 2nd round, so I don't think KAM could have swung a reasonable trade up to snag him even if he did have the Vikings 2nd rounder last year.

He had a good first game and it will be interesting to see how he does as opposing DCs get more tape on him.
It's only 1 game and tape wasn't involved yet. The story is just starting. The draft is always great to follow and the follow up is good discussion points. The guy fell for a reason. Maybe bad interviews or stuff that don't get published. Titian fans must be happy.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

KAM should have pulled the trigger. By the end of this year, barring injury, most will know that. Write that down.

We got a good WR with out first pick in Addison and hes the real deal.

At some point we HAVE to draft our own QB and we just let a good looking one get away
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:08 pm KAM should have pulled the trigger. By the end of this year, barring injury, most will know that. Write that down.

We got a good WR with out first pick in Addison and hes the real deal.

At some point we HAVE to draft our own QB and we just let a good looking one get away
I was huge on Levis last year. Wish we could’ve taken him but it probably would’ve meant missing out on Addison.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

This was his line tonight.
Will Levis
TEAM
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS QBR RTG
22/39 262 6.7 0 1 4-27 34.7 66.4
22/39 235 6.7 0 1 4-27 -- 66.4
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:15 am This was his line tonight.
Will Levis
TEAM
C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS QBR RTG
22/39 262 6.7 0 1 4-27 34.7 66.4
22/39 235 6.7 0 1 4-27 -- 66.4
Looks like he has a Kirk problem and can't perform in prime time. Maybe that's why Kwesi said no thanks we will find a better guy later on.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:02 pm For the record, Hockenson has been dominant in his last two games. He's catching everything and getting tough yards after the catch as well.

Hockenson now leads all NFL tight ends in receptions, on pace for 113 and more than 1,000 yards. Yes, he has more receptions than Travis Kelce.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:30 pm

Hockenson now leads all NFL tight ends in receptions, on pace for 113 and more than 1,000 yards. Yes, he has more receptions than Travis Kelce.
TJ has been a warrior for this team, including playing with what must have been a fairly painful rib injury this last weekend. He's been worth every penny of his extension since he overcame his early-season struggles, and if this team gets to the playoffs and does anything once there this year, Hockenson is going to be a major reason why.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Nice efficient game today for Levis 13/17/158 & 2 TDs. Hard to believe he got beat.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

23-38 327 1 td 1 int Monday night win.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:38 am 23-38 327 1 td 1 int Monday night win.
I don't know what your fascination is with Levis. The Vikings didn't take him but if I'm going to get upset about the Vikings missing on a QB in the draft I'm much more upset they missed on Purdy than on Levis.

Also, the lesson of Mac Jones should be pretty fresh right now. I remember you excoriated the Vikings for not taking Jones, but Jones stinks and the Patriots will likely be moving on from him ASAP. He came out of the gate pretty fast too, albeit on a team that still had a lot of core talent that could cover up his shortcomings.

Neither of these guys have anything to do with the Vikings in either case other than they passed on both. The only QB they didn't pass on that was drafted and is on the roster right now is Jaren Hall and unfortunately it doesn't look like we're going to see what he can do for the foreseeable future.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:38 am 23-38 327 1 td 1 int Monday night win.
I don't know what your fascination is with Levis. The Vikings didn't take him but if I'm going to get upset about the Vikings missing on a QB in the draft I'm much more upset they missed on Purdy than on Levis.

Also, the lesson of Mac Jones should be pretty fresh right now. I remember you excoriated the Vikings for not taking Jones, but Jones stinks and the Patriots will likely be moving on from him ASAP. He came out of the gate pretty fast too, albeit on a team that still had a lot of core talent that could cover up his shortcomings.

Neither of these guys have anything to do with the Vikings in either case other than they passed on both. The only QB they didn't pass on that was drafted and is on the roster right now is Jaren Hall and unfortunately it doesn't look like we're going to see what he can do for the foreseeable future.
I'm not upset. I'm only pointing out Levis because he was mentioned on this draft board as a player we should take. It's just side conversation about football. You're correct I wanted us to take Jones. Something went sideways with him and the entire team. This could be his last NFL season. I also wanted Hamilton. I don't know why Hall isn't getting a chance to play. There's nothing to lose at this point because we can't score anyway. But should they let him go out there and take a pounding? He had a concussion in college and one already in the NFL. Perhaps they are concerned about that. It's just idle talk.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:35 am

I'm not upset. I'm only pointing out Levis because he was mentioned on this draft board as a player we should take. It's just side conversation about football. You're correct I wanted us to take Jones. Something went sideways with him and the entire team. This could be his last NFL season. I also wanted Hamilton. I don't know why Hall isn't getting a chance to play. There's nothing to lose at this point because we can't score anyway. But should they let him go out there and take a pounding? He had a concussion in college and one already in the NFL. Perhaps they are concerned about that. It's just idle talk.
Fair enough and that's fine, but Levis isn't a Viking and I doubt he ever will be.

Hall isn't getting a chance to play because Cousins was the clear QB 1 for most of this season and the team has a chance to make the playoffs now that he's out. Had Hall not gotten knocked out of the Falcons game he probably would be starting at QB right now (and most likely struggling), but Dobbs did well enough to get more chances and now that Mullens is healthy and the Vikings still can make the playoffs KOC is going to stick with him to the bitter end I suspect.

To be honest I didn't get the sense that KAM drafted Hall because he really wanted the player Hall. He drafted Hall because the Vikings needed a QB at some point in last year's draft and Hall was value at the spot where they took him. I don't get the sense that the Vikings are all that high on him or have any clear intentions regarding his future with the team. In fact, I think it is likely that KAM might make a play in the first two rounds for a QB in this year's draft and the Vikings will focus on that player as their developmental prospect. That sucks for Hall, but then again, if he's not showing promise in practice and the looks he's getting they're justified in that approach.

Put another way, if Cousins were healthy nobody on this board would be talking about Hall at all. If he were the heir apparent at QB, there very likely would have been more chatter around him even if he wasn't pushing for playing time.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:29 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:25 pm
Fair enough and that's fine, but Levis isn't a Viking and I doubt he ever will be.

Hall isn't getting a chance to play because Cousins was the clear QB 1 for most of this season and the team has a chance to make the playoffs now that he's out. Had Hall not gotten knocked out of the Falcons game he probably would be starting at QB right now (and most likely struggling), but Dobbs did well enough to get more chances and now that Mullens is healthy and the Vikings still can make the playoffs KOC is going to stick with him to the bitter end I suspect.

To be honest I didn't get the sense that KAM drafted Hall because he really wanted the player Hall. He drafted Hall because the Vikings needed a QB at some point in last year's draft and Hall was value at the spot where they took him. I don't get the sense that the Vikings are all that high on him or have any clear intentions regarding his future with the team. In fact, I think it is likely that KAM might make a play in the first two rounds for a QB in this year's draft and the Vikings will focus on that player as their developmental prospect. That sucks for Hall, but then again, if he's not showing promise in practice and the looks he's getting they're justified in that approach.

Put another way, if Cousins were healthy nobody on this board would be talking about Hall at all. If he were the heir apparent at QB, there very likely would have been more chatter around him even if he wasn't pushing for playing time.
Sometimes where a QB gets drafted also plays a major role in their overall success. Purdy looks like he stepped into a perfect setup for him. He's in a great spot for his skill set. Almost looks like a Jimmy G clone style wise who did guide them to a SB. The kid the Panthers took No 1 is in a horrible spot. Lawerence last year was screwed. He's in a better spot now. Hall's ceiling is a backup QB. I think that's why they made the pick. You need somebody who can play a little bit. He made the team because he was a pick and not too many words about his play tells the story. In the situation we are in he may see some time if Mullen gets hurt or when we get eliminated which might not happen until the last week. I can't see Dobbs getting any more time.