Should we trade for a Quarterback

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Should we trade for a Quarterback

Post by psjordan »

Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:39 am I think they'll sign some FA (Wentz?) until they know what they have in Hall. If Hall is terrible they may trade for someone. Maybe Tannehill?
Hall would have to be terrible in practice today and tomorrow - trade deadline is tomorrow 4pm.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I'd be pretty sure they won't trade anything for anyone, unless something truly drops into our lap. More likely they are scouring the unsigned crowd to see if ANYONE has ANY experience in our type of offense. It won't be easy for anyone to pick up mid-season, and the more they understand about our system coming in, the better.

Also, Kirk is injured but not gone. He will be a good resource for any new body we add to the QB room. So hopefully they are also looking in the "quick learner" pile.

This is what being a Vikes fan is all about. Lucy keeps putting the ball down, and then just when it's looking good ...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:50 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:45 am

“We just gave up 3 sacks”…..really man? Did we watch the game or look at a box score? One of the 3 sacks was literally when Kirk tore his Achilles and went down in a heap. The other was about 2 plays into Hall coming in the game, not really know what he was doing. The OL has given up 1 legitimate sack in two games. Against fronts of GB and SF. We have the best left and right tackle in the nfl. Bradbury hasn’t given up a single pressure this season (only lineman to do so). Ingram has improved drastically. Cleveland is the #7 guard according to PFF. Like this is the best line we’ve had in a long time and continue to improve every week. Not sure what anyone else is watching right now
We are watching a line that is tied for 16th in sacks allowed and blocks for an average of 3.6 yards per carry. There has been some improvement but let's not get carried away and act like they're the Great Wall of Dallas in the 90s.
Never said that. This league is about what you’re doing now, not 7 weeks ago. Right NOW this line is very good. Performing like a top 10 OL, no doubt over the last few weeks.

Vikings are 3rd in pass protection grade and 7th in pass block win rate. They are also 2nd in run blocking grade with a bad RB.

Not getting carried away, this is just how good their line is performing right now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

I'd also assume (yes, I know what happens when you assume) that the decision not to extend/sign Kirk was the result of a plan at the QB position. It's not like the powers-that-be sat around in a room and said "hey, can we all agree not to extend Kirk and then just wing it at the QB position?"

I'm sure they have names of existing available and to-be-drafted QB's along with the probability of our landing them. In fact there has to be scenarios they have dreamed up under which they get player A, B or C. Nothing is 100% certain, but I'm guessing they have enough faith in a few scenarios to have felt comfortable not extending Kirk.

And of course one of those scenarios was re-signing Kirk, which now seems much less likely.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:21 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:45 am

“We just gave up 3 sacks”…..really man? Did we watch the game or look at a box score? One of the 3 sacks was literally when Kirk tore his Achilles and went down in a heap. The other was about 2 plays into Hall coming in the game, not really know what he was doing. The OL has given up 1 legitimate sack in two games. Against fronts of GB and SF. We have the best left and right tackle in the nfl. Bradbury hasn’t given up a single pressure this season (only lineman to do so). Ingram has improved drastically. Cleveland is the #7 guard according to PFF. Like this is the best line we’ve had in a long time and continue to improve every week. Not sure what anyone else is watching right now
Ezra 7th best in the game? How? He can't hold the point. He's a FA so based on that rating teams will be chasing him offering tons of money. That won't happen just like what Bradberry went through. No teams were chasing him.
Ezra is the 6th best guard in pass pro this year. Teams will probably go after him as a cheaper tackle option because that’s where his original position was.

Not sure why you keep bringing Bradbury up. He’s officially allowed 1 pressure in 169 pass blocking snaps and 0 sacks. Just because he wasn’t good before, doesn’t mean the guy can’t improve. He’s been playing like a top 5 center this year. That’s a fact
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maybe Stafford for nothing. He is a true winner. Rams are done. There's some connections. I wouldn't do it but he probably is available. 7th rounder and go for the ring.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:53 pm Maybe Stafford for nothing. He is a true winner. Rams are done. There's some connections. I wouldn't do it but he probably is available. 7th rounder and go for the ring.
The rams would not trade Matt Stafford away for a 7th rounder….
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:10 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:53 pm Maybe Stafford for nothing. He is a true winner. Rams are done. There's some connections. I wouldn't do it but he probably is available. 7th rounder and go for the ring.
The rams would not trade Matt Stafford away for a 7th rounder….
Not to mention that Stafford went out of the game yesterday with an injured thumb.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

[ArifHasanNFL] Adam Schefter says on MNF that he doesn't expect the Vikings to make a move at quarterback, not seeing any QB out there as an upgrade on who they have in the building. Also said they won't be inclined to move Danielle Hunter
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

The word is they just traded for Josh Dobbs of Arizona, who I know nothing about.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:25 am
[ArifHasanNFL] Adam Schefter says on MNF that he doesn't expect the Vikings to make a move at quarterback, not seeing any QB out there as an upgrade on who they have in the building. Also said they won't be inclined to move Danielle Hunter
Plus if we see an upgrade teams will jam us because we are in a bind. I think giving Hall a week is fine then we get our backup back for the following week if Hall is terrible. Hall is a 3rd string guy who should be watching. He is 25 so he is older than most rookies so that should help I think.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

cogitator wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:41 pm The word is they just traded for Josh Dobbs of Arizona, who I know nothing about.
If we didn't give up too much, I love this trade! A lot of potential. This will be his audition for an extension. He might be a legit starter, or he might be a starter until a newly drafted rookie is ready to go. This is a good move.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

We got Joshua Dobbs, not sure how I feel about this. Best of luck sir!
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:14 pm I'll leave it up to your judgements to decide which options are bad and which are worth looking into. Just wanted to see who MIGHT be available. Here we go:

Tyler Huntley: 25 years old. On the cheap in the last year of his contract-could also be an audition.

Andy Dalton: If we could "pry" Dalton from Carolina, the 36 year old could provide stability. Short, cheap contract.

Cooper Rush: The 30 year old had a few shining moments on the Cowgirls. Cheap contract-possible audition for backup.

Trey Lance: Do we look into the Marshall, MN native's potential? Rookie contract. Worth it? What would it cost?

Russell Wilson: Would Denver trade him? Not sure how the opt-out works and who has control. Age 35-37 seasons.

Davis Mills: 25 year old put up decent numbers with Houston. Cheap contract.

Case Keenum: (HAAHAHHA!) Cheap contract. Full of magic. Could also be decent backup.

Blaine Gabbert: Woof.

Brian Hoyer: Woof.

Mike White: Younger but still...woof.

Jameis Winston: Still only 29. Tons of picks. But can score some points. Cheap contract...audition?

Marcus Mariota: The 30 year old is an interesting option. Decent career. Mobile with decent IQ.

Sam Darnold: 26 years old. Almost as many picks as TDs. Another audition type guy with a little experience.

Malik Willis: Has Indy given up on the 24 year old? Is he even worth looking into?

Jacoby Brissett: Brissett has actually put up decent numbers. 30 and on last year on contract. Audition guy as well.

Thoughts?
All bad options.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:50 pm
cogitator wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:41 pm The word is they just traded for Josh Dobbs of Arizona, who I know nothing about.
If we didn't give up too much, I love this trade! A lot of potential. This will be his audition for an extension. He might be a legit starter, or he might be a starter until a newly drafted rookie is ready to go. This is a good move.
This trade makes a lot of sense. Dobbs is available because of Kyler Murray's return. However, all it will do is help us win a handful of games the rest of the season. No Division title or playoffs and no high draft pick. B