Vikings listening to trade offers on Hunter

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings listening to trade offers on Hunter

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Depending on what they're being offered I might be ok with this. He's 28 and often injured. I have grown tired of his malcontent attitude and I'm leery to book him for more years. This pass rush would disappear next year but it might anyway if he gets injured per usual as of the last 3 years.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qcuS0GGJqu
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings listening to trade offers on Hunter

Post by VikingLord »

The biggest problem with trading Hunter now is that it's not like the Vikings could use the draft pick(s) they get in return to draft his potential replacement. They must have felt they could get a deal done and for whatever reason that optimism is gone. Maybe Hunter is insisting on some break-banking deal and the Vikings aren't going to pay that. On the flip side, if Hunter is set on a huge number then any potential trade partner would have to be willing to make the same deal. There are some teams that might do it, but given the fact the Vikings will also want at least a 1st and probably more, they'll have to find a pretty desperate trade partner or a team that just is in love with Hunter.

If the Vikings are going to go big on a deal for anyone it has to be JJ. Hunter is a good DE who is still fairly young, and if I were KAM I might consider a deal that puts him in the top 10 DE's in the NFL, but not more. Not on this defense where it is at right now.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I get the vibe (so obviously no sources beyond my opinion), that Hunter is seeking a significant payday. This is his last, potentially, big nfl contract imho. If the Vikings are reluctant I get it. Their reluctance probably isn't new though, not like he has changed since the season ended.

Draft assets for next year could still help to position to move up for a qb, etc.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He's now refusing to show up to mandatory camp.
mael·strom

Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

No more Thielen, no more Cook, no more Kendricks, no more Smith and now no more Hunter ?

Then why did we keep Cousins ? Why not chuck his big contract too, draft a young QB and rebuild ?

But maybe I'm just a dumb European who doesn't know all the ins and outs of football... :oops:
Tene Quod Bene
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demarates wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:00 pm No more Thielen, no more Cook, no more Kendricks, no more Smith and now no more Hunter ?

Then why did we keep Cousins ? Why not chuck his big contract too, draft a young QB and rebuild ?

But maybe I'm just a dumb European who doesn't know all the ins and outs of football... :oops:
I mean I would think drafting a QB is their plan next year. Nothing they can do about it now. But I dont care about Thielen, Cook or Kendricks anymore. The Vikings are actually better off without them. It's not 2017 anymore, those guys are big names but the play isnt there anymore like it use to be. Many Vikings fans look at this as some sort of rebuild. They are simply dumping aging players with bloated contracts. That's the NFL. Its just that a lot of it happened in one offseason for them.

Hunter on the other hand is still 28 and still highly productive. Harrison Smith is aging but still playing at a very good level. They are dumping the guys that are no longer playing at a high level. That's smart. This team needs to get younger and faster. I agree with every move Kwesi has made this offseason with our vets. I will say I hope they find a way to keep Hunter though.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Demarates wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:00 pm No more Thielen, no more Cook, no more Kendricks, no more Smith and now no more Hunter ?

The reason why they kept Cousins is because he is under contract with a no trade clause. He can't be cut because of the guaranteed money. Our GM created that. The bigger problem is nothing on the bench. We are in a rebuild right now and you are watching it. Our future will be determined based on our drafts. If we are one of the better drafting teams then we will be in good shape. If not then the rebuild will continue well into the future. I would say we were under a rebuild for Speilman's 10 year career. Yes one great season thanks to a miracle. Miracles don't happen often. Beyond that we were a yo yo team. Up and down. But your question wasn't dumb.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Thanks for your feedback, guys.

It's just so frustating that every time they "fix" one problem, two others seem to appear somewhere else.

Like when they draft a promising WR to complement Jefferson (and traded for TJ) and you think : "Awesome, now Cousins will have some elite targets." But then you hear Cook is gone...

ànd our defense (which was not great last season), will have to do without Kendricks and maybe Hunter...

Getting to a complete roster allowing for a balanced team just nevers appears to happen for Minnesota. :wallbang:
Tene Quod Bene
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demarates wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:01 am Thanks for your feedback, guys.

It's just so frustating that every time they "fix" one problem, two others seem to appear somewhere else.

Like when they draft a promising WR to complement Jefferson (and traded for TJ) and you think : "Awesome, now Cousins will have some elite targets." But then you hear Cook is gone...

ànd our defense (which was not great last season), will have to do without Kendricks and maybe Hunter...

Getting to a complete roster allowing for a balanced team just nevers appears to happen for Minnesota. :wallbang:
Partly because the Vikings have seldom faced the fact that they aren't in the championship picture, and allowed themselves to lean in to a rebuild. Danielle Hunter has no value for the 2023 Vikings, because the 2023 Vikings are not competing for a championship with him any more than they are without him.

Danielle hunter is of limited value to the 2025 Vikings because his salary will be massive and very likely not worth the production he will be putting up at that point.

Now is the time to trade him if you can get good return. His career timeline does not align with the Vikings timeline
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Seeing Hunter for Trey Lance rumors...would be interesting for sure!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Hunter will be asking for more money than KAM wants to give.I would think a team with a win now approach would snatch him up right away. With all the other cuts/trades. it makes sense not to sign an aging vet to a long, expense deal. I hope KAM is smart enough to get a 1 rd pick for Hunter, or a high 2nd.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:08 am
Demarates wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:01 am Thanks for your feedback, guys.

Partly because the Vikings have seldom faced the fact that they aren't in the championship picture, and allowed themselves to lean in to a rebuild. Danielle Hunter has no value for the 2023 Vikings, because the 2023 Vikings are not competing for a championship with him any more than they are without him.

Danielle hunter is of limited value to the 2025 Vikings because his salary will be massive and very likely not worth the production he will be putting up at that point.

Now is the time to trade him if you can get good return. His career timeline does not align with the Vikings timeline
I agree with you but the Vikings don't. Kwesi has said in the past that the goal is to have many above average chances to win the super bowl as opposed to going all in for one or two years. I'm sure the Vikings believe they can win it all this year.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

cmoss84 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:24 am Seeing Hunter for Trey Lance rumors...would be interesting for sure!
I saw those rumors and honestly, that would be a terrible trade for the Vikings. Hunter is a proven impact DE in the prime of his career. Lance was a highly speculative first round pick who hasn't done anything as a pro. It's too early to call him a bust, but if any team is seriously considering trading what they consider a potential franchise QB for a defensive end, no matter how good that defensive end is, that right there tells me that team doesn't really believe the QB has the potential to play a high level. Yeah, the 49ers have Purdy and yeah, Purdy played really well last year, but Purdy also has some worrying arm injury concerns and it remains to be seen if he's the long term answer at QB for the 49ers at this point. I doubt they'd feel comfortable shipping a QB like Lance given those questions unless they're pretty sure Lance isn't a viable long-term starter at QB.

Now, there are examples of teams that traded QBs who ended up being very good (Drew Brees comes to mind), but if I'm KAM in this situation I'm going to demand no less than a 1st rounder for Hunter and start from there. DE's like Hunter in the primes of their careers don't fall off trees, so there should be plenty of teams with interest and that creates a seller's market. Start the bidding at a 1st round pick and see where it goes. If it doesn't go anywhere, do what they can to get something done with Hunter that at least keeps him happy for this upcoming season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:47 pm

I agree with you but the Vikings don't. Kwesi has said in the past that the goal is to have many above average chances to win the super bowl as opposed to going all in for one or two years. I'm sure the Vikings believe they can win it all this year.
How is it determined if a team is in the championship picture. Sure there are some teams that have zero chance of even making the playoffs. In our conference there are 2 very well rounded teams the 49ers and Eagles. Then you have the rest of the playoff teams with varying degrees of all around talent. I would consider a playoff team to be in the championship picture. The Eagles marched to the show with a backup QB leading them through the playoffs. The Rams made it with a loser QB. They beat the 49ers who swept them in the season. Not many thought that was possible. Bottom line anything can happen once in the playoffs. A team can get hot and start hitting on all cylinders. We did that in 86 and almost made it. The favored team can fold. We did that in 98.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:47 pm

I believe we can win it all this year.