1st round pick poll

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

If the Vikings stay put at #23, who would be your top choice if they were available?

WR- Quenton Johnston- TCU
11%
CB- Deonte Banks- Maryland
No votes
EDGE- Lukas Van Ness- Iowa
17%
CB- Joey Porter Jr.- Penn St.
33%
WR- Jordan Addison- USC
6%
DL- Calijah Kancey- Pitt
No votes
WR- Zay Flowers- BC
6%
WR- Jaxon Smith-Njigba- OSU
11%
DB- Brian Branch- Alabama
No votes
EDGE- Myles Murphy- Clemson
No votes
QB- Hendon Hooker- Tennessee
11%
EDGE- Will McDonald IV- Iowa St.
6%

Total votes: 18

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

1st round pick poll

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Interested to see who you guys would want the most at #23. My vote went to Joey Porter Jr.

I'm not a huge fan of corner hunting in round 1 again but Porter's ability and the bloodlines here make it a slam dunk for me. He's about the only corner I would take there and after that, prioritize WR. My big board for those guys listed would be:

1.) CB- Joey Porter Jr.
2.) WR- Jordan Addison
3.) WR- Quenton Johnston
4.) DL- Calijah Kancey
5.) DB- Brian Branch
6.) WR- Zay Flowers
7.) EDGE- Myles Murphy
8.) CB- Deonte Banks
9.) WR- Jaxon Smith-Njigba
10.) EDGE- Will McDonald IV
11.) EDGE- Lukas Van Ness
12.) QB- Hendon Hooker
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: 1st round pick poll

Post by Cliff »

If a QB worth taking is there that would be my first pick. I don't know enough to talk about specific players, but they definitely need a CB so I would be ok with that pick. I don't want to see a WR in the first round. They have the best WR in the league who is going to get paid like it soon. KJ got 650 yards and 5 TDs which is solid for a WR #2. They've also got a good pass catching TE. WR #3 can be picked up in another round.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Im scared of picking another 1st rd corner.

Hooker seems about as good as any QB that would still be there at 23, and I think we could pick up a good WR in the 3rd.

I went for Lukas at 23. We need EDGE as much as anything if we want our IOL and DBs to have a chance this year to get out of last place. The guy is crazy good. Jared Allen 2.0. And both Z smith and Hunter could be gone this season.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This is a tough poll because there is only one choice. I chose Van Ness mostly because I think he has the best overall potential to be the most consistent player out of the listed players, but there are many others on the list I would be happy with. I can divide the players into two groups, with the players in the first group being good value choices at #23, and the second group being reach or higher risk picks in the second group.

Good Value Group:
DL- Calijah Kancey- Pitt

Reach/High Risk Group:
WR- Jordan Addison- USC
WR- Zay Flowers- BC

Notice I put all of the WRs in the latter group along with the QB and one of the DE choices. Of the touted receivers, I have seen zero consensus emerge or any compelling case to be made that any of them are special or likely to be impact players as pros. That doesn't mean they aren't good or can't become impact pros, but none of them really stand out in that regard. I know the Vikings need a viable #2 WR to pair with JJ, but if I'm the GM of the Vikings I'm looking for a matchup problem with the #23 pick. None of the WRs on this list are special enough to create that IMHO.

I personally like Hooker, but he's both a huge reach and a huge risk to spend #23 on given he is injured and the offense in which he played in college. He wasn't asked to do a lot of improvisation and unless KOC can accurately assess his ability to do that in some other way than watching his college tape he's a huge risk that high in the draft.

I like McDonald as a player, but not at #23. He's not a complete edge player in that he struggles against the run and he's kind of a tweener. McDonald could turn into a decent pro with good coaching, but either Murphy or Van Ness would be much safer edge prospects at #23.

One guy that isn't on this list that should be is Bijan Robinson. Yes, he is a running back. Yes, that position has become relatively lower valued over the years. And yes, the Vikings arguably have greater needs at other positions where good talent will probably be on the board. But, Robinson is and will be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses with his overall talent and ability to create on his own. If the goal is to find the player who creates the most problems for an opposing team, if Robinson is there at #23 he's a no-brainer from where I sit.

I think KAM trades back though. I think he ends up somewhere in the top half of the 2nd with an extra 4th and 3rd. This is a deep draft at CB and WR, and I believe KAM will decide to divide the one player he could take at #23 for another 2-3 players he'll get in rounds 2-4 that most likely will end up being as good or nearly as good. I think if he does this it makes it more likely the Vikings will take a flyer on a QB as well, probably in the 3rd. Hooker might still be on the board and would make a lot more sense there than at #23.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Not much here I like. On D looks like 3-4 again which I hate. We need LBers and a beast NT. My favorite player in this draft is G O'cyrus Torrence 6' 5" 350. That's a mountain man who won't be pushed around. He'll do the pushing. You can live with Bradbury then. If you can't control the LOS you don't have a chance. Not a pretty pick but effective instant starter.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

You guys really like Porter more than Banks?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:11 pm You guys really like Porter more than Banks?
I do. As do most analysts out there.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:28 pm Im scared of picking another 1st rd corner.

Hooker seems about as good as any QB that would still be there at 23, and I think we could pick up a good WR in the 3rd.

I went for Lukas at 23. We need EDGE as much as anything if we want our IOL and DBs to have a chance this year to get out of last place. The guy is crazy good. Jared Allen 2.0. And both Z smith and Hunter could be gone this season.
I dont see them getting rid of both Hunter and Smith. I would have to imagine they keep one preferably Hunter. If we go EDGE in the first round, that would be the only indication both could be gone. But I dont see it happening.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:42 pm This is a tough poll because there is only one choice. I chose Van Ness mostly because I think he has the best overall potential to be the most consistent player out of the listed players, but there are many others on the list I would be happy with. I can divide the players into two groups, with the players in the first group being good value choices at #23, and the second group being reach or higher risk picks in the second group.

Good Value Group:
DL- Calijah Kancey- Pitt

Reach/High Risk Group:
WR- Jordan Addison- USC
WR- Zay Flowers- BC

Notice I put all of the WRs in the latter group along with the QB and one of the DE choices. Of the touted receivers, I have seen zero consensus emerge or any compelling case to be made that any of them are special or likely to be impact players as pros. That doesn't mean they aren't good or can't become impact pros, but none of them really stand out in that regard. I know the Vikings need a viable #2 WR to pair with JJ, but if I'm the GM of the Vikings I'm looking for a matchup problem with the #23 pick. None of the WRs on this list are special enough to create that IMHO.

I personally like Hooker, but he's both a huge reach and a huge risk to spend #23 on given he is injured and the offense in which he played in college. He wasn't asked to do a lot of improvisation and unless KOC can accurately assess his ability to do that in some other way than watching his college tape he's a huge risk that high in the draft.

I like McDonald as a player, but not at #23. He's not a complete edge player in that he struggles against the run and he's kind of a tweener. McDonald could turn into a decent pro with good coaching, but either Murphy or Van Ness would be much safer edge prospects at #23.

One guy that isn't on this list that should be is Bijan Robinson. Yes, he is a running back. Yes, that position has become relatively lower valued over the years. And yes, the Vikings arguably have greater needs at other positions where good talent will probably be on the board. But, Robinson is and will be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses with his overall talent and ability to create on his own. If the goal is to find the player who creates the most problems for an opposing team, if Robinson is there at #23 he's a no-brainer from where I sit.

I think KAM trades back though. I think he ends up somewhere in the top half of the 2nd with an extra 4th and 3rd. This is a deep draft at CB and WR, and I believe KAM will decide to divide the one player he could take at #23 for another 2-3 players he'll get in rounds 2-4 that most likely will end up being as good or nearly as good. I think if he does this it makes it more likely the Vikings will take a flyer on a QB as well, probably in the 3rd. Hooker might still be on the board and would make a lot more sense there than at #23.
Good post, honestly I didnt put Bijan in there because I'd be hard pressed to see him sitting there at 23. I see him going before that. Either someone is taking him quick or someone is trading up to take him. If he makes it to 23, I'd be shocked. But I also wouldnt be opposed to taking him if he somehow did fall.
-Chazz Palminteri
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:42 pm This is a tough poll because there is only one choice. I chose Van Ness mostly because I think he has the best overall potential to be the most consistent player out of the listed players, but there are many others on the list I would be happy with. I can divide the players into two groups, with the players in the first group being good value choices at #23, and the second group being reach or higher risk picks in the second group.

Good Value Group:
DL- Calijah Kancey- Pitt

Reach/High Risk Group:
WR- Jordan Addison- USC
WR- Zay Flowers- BC

My gut feeling is he trades out of the pick as well. Personally I don’t like it but we have lots of holes to fill. Personally I’d like a move aggressive gm who isn’t afraid to move up for someone they like. Only time will tell how this all plays out, but we could of had a starting safety at our first pick last year but traded it for a guy who got beat out by a 4th rounder before he got injured. Also could have had a vertical WR, or a huge fast DT. But we did the old trade 1 player for two and so didn’t get much out of those two. Sure Booth and Cine could become something but signs point to meh, seen enough of Booth to know he has a lot of work and Cine couldn’t win a starting spot convincingly in camp. Sounds like our old regime of finding maybe one starter a draft, we’re teams like KC find multiple each year.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

allday1991 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:19 am

Good Value Group:
DL- Calijah Kancey- Pitt

Reach/High Risk Group:
WR- Jordan Addison- USC
WR- Zay Flowers- BC

My gut feeling is he trades out of the pick as well. Personally I don’t like it but we have lots of holes to fill. Personally I’d like a move aggressive gm who isn’t afraid to move up for someone they like. Only time will tell how this all plays out, but we could of had a starting safety at our first pick last year but traded it for a guy who got beat out by a 4th rounder before he got injured. Also could have had a vertical WR, or a huge fast DT. But we did the old trade 1 player for two and so didn’t get much out of those two. Sure Booth and Cine could become something but signs point to meh, seen enough of Booth to know he has a lot of work and Cine couldn’t win a starting spot convincingly in camp. Sounds like our old regime of finding maybe one starter a draft, we’re teams like KC find multiple each year.
I'm sorry but that is just a bad argument when it comes to Lewis Cine. Do you realize that Kyle Hamilton only started 4 games the entire year (mainly at years end) and played less than 17 snaps a game for a good portion of the early season. So apparently, Hamilton was also "beat out" by someone. So I would have to imagine that if we drafted Kyle Hamilton, he also would've been "beaten out" by a 4th rounder, wouldn't have "convincingly won a starting spot in camp" and could've easily suffered the same freak injury Lewis Cine did.

As for Booth you said you've "seen enough of him". You literally saw him play in two games. One game as a mid-game sub lining up against Stefon Diggs. And the other, starting in the Cowboys game where we literally got beat 40-3 and embarrassed on national TV. How in any way is that "seeing enough" of a rookie cornerback? You judged Andrew Booth on 1.5 games in the middle of his rookie year. If that's not an unfair judgement, I'm not sure what is.

So Cine on 3.5 games and Booth on 1.5 games is what we're making your judgements off of here. For two rookies no less. Sorry but I cant buy into that one even the slightest bit. I'm not sure how anyone can.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 am
allday1991 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:19 am

I'm sorry but that is just a bad argument when it comes to Lewis Cine. Do you realize that Kyle Hamilton only started 4 games the entire year (mainly at years end) and played less than 17 snaps a game for a good portion of the early season. So apparently, Hamilton was also "beat out" by someone. So I would have to imagine that if we drafted Kyle Hamilton, he also would've been "beaten out" by a 4th rounder, wouldn't have "convincingly won a starting spot in camp" and could've easily suffered the same freak injury Lewis Cine did.

As for Booth you said you've "seen enough of him". You literally saw him play in two games. One game as a mid-game sub lining up against Stefon Diggs. And the other, starting in the Cowboys game where we literally got beat 40-3 and embarrassed on national TV. How in any way is that "seeing enough" of a rookie cornerback? You judged Andrew Booth on 1.5 games in the middle of his rookie year. If that's not an unfair judgement, I'm not sure what is.

So Cine on 3.5 games and Booth on 1.5 games is what we're making your judgements off of here. For two rookies no less. Sorry but I cant buy into that one even the slightest bit. I'm not sure how anyone can.
Hamilton should have been the pick. Was he perfect and a day one starter? Nope. Cine wasn't even the top backup. The only thing he did well was run his mouth. It was a huge miss by our GM. As was this guard Ingram. He had 3 sacks all by himself by tripping the QB. He needs to block a sack not get one. He's still penciled in as a starter. Do our coaches want to win?
From PFF.
7. KYLE HAMILTON, BALTIMORE RAVENS (82.3)
The top safety in the 2022 rookie class and the 14th pick overall did not disappoint in his rookie year, outside of just not being a full-time starter for the entire season, which is what pushes him down this list a bit. Hamilton started the year in a fairly limited dime safety role, but as the year went on and his impact could not be ignored, he became the Ravens’ primary nickel back in Week 8 and continued to impress.
Hamilton’s size and athletic ability made him a significant asset in defending the run and rushing the passer, posting top-five grades in both while adding a top-10 coverage grade (76.8).
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:11 pm You guys really like Porter more than Banks?
I like Porter's length and size. He brings a bit more physically to the table than Banks, but honestly, I'd be happy with either.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:28 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:10 am

Hamilton should have been the pick. Was he perfect and a day one starter? Nope. Cine wasn't even the top backup. The only thing he did well was run his mouth. It was a huge miss by our GM. As was this guard Ingram. He had 3 sacks all by himself by tripping the QB. He needs to block a sack not get one. He's still penciled in as a starter. Do our coaches want to win?
From PFF.
7. KYLE HAMILTON, BALTIMORE RAVENS (82.3)
The top safety in the 2022 rookie class and the 14th pick overall did not disappoint in his rookie year, outside of just not being a full-time starter for the entire season, which is what pushes him down this list a bit. Hamilton started the year in a fairly limited dime safety role, but as the year went on and his impact could not be ignored, he became the Ravens’ primary nickel back in Week 8 and continued to impress.
Hamilton’s size and athletic ability made him a significant asset in defending the run and rushing the passer, posting top-five grades in both while adding a top-10 coverage grade (76.8).
Not sure what that write up proves? Hamilton was, as they said, in a limited role early on in the year. And then worked his way into making an impact but never starting. How could Lewis Cine ever do that when he had a freak leg injury 3.5 games into his rookie year? Look at the window when they were both healthy. That's 3.5 games. You're basically saying that since Hamilton was a backup in a limited role and Cine was technically the 4th safety for the first 3.5 games of the season, that makes Hamilton the correct pick and makes Cine a "bust that runs his mouth". Another bad argument.

But to be frank, you've been nothing but negative on this board for months. Its getting quite tiring. I cant even post a simple poll without you coming on saying, "nothing here I really like, hate the 3-4". I named 12 of the back half of the 1st round prospects and there's none you like? What do you like at this point? I think it's pretty clear at this rate that no matter who we draft, there's a very high chance you're going to disagree with it. Every thread I look at you're throwing insults out about the GM, complaining about players, etc.

Everyone has the right to be frustrated but your negativity on here right now is overwhelming to say the least.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I went with Johnston. He's got the size, speed and athleticism to be a force opposite Jefferson, and he's really good after the catch. He had some concentration drops at TCU, but that appears to be coachable, as most came as he was changing directions to run after the catch. He needs a bit of polish as a route runner, but with Keenan McCardell coaching him up and JJ helping, I think he could do it.

Porter would be my choice after Johnston. Lots of upside there. I have my doubts as to whether he'll be available at 23, although there is some noise that he's falling for some reason. I know this poll is "if available," but I'm still voting Johnston.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.