Future Viking qb?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Future Viking qb?

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Future Viking qb?

Post by CharVike »

Thank you for posting the article. I was a huge Brad Johnson fan. A later pick who we developed. I thought we finally found our long term starter. I was pissed when we dealt him. We need to get on the QB hunt big time. Every fan will point out there favorite which is fine it's part of the game. I wonder if they will post Kirk's biggest come from behind victory ever as a banner our something. Probably not unless the Wilf's insist then it will be there. Maybe even a statue as you enter the stadium. That will piss a few off. Get the fans in the mood to buy many beers. That will get the cash rolling in.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

He's definitely big enough - 6'5" and 220 pounds.

Not too bad statistically either - https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... ax-johnson

Brad's best attribute was his intelligence. He wasn't a dynamic runner and didn't have a big arm, but he read the field very well and was pretty accurate. According to the article linked by Foreman, Brad coached his son, so it stands to reason Max takes after his father in that regard. Johnson will be entering the 2024 draft so we'll have to see how his final college season plays out and where he lands on draft boards next year, but I'm sure the Vikings scouts will be watching him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:47 am He's definitely big enough - 6'5" and 220 pounds.

Not too bad statistically either - https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... ax-johnson

Brad's best attribute was his intelligence. He wasn't a dynamic runner and didn't have a big arm, but he read the field very well and was pretty accurate. According to the article linked by Foreman, Brad coached his son, so it stands to reason Max takes after his father in that regard. Johnson will be entering the 2024 draft so we'll have to see how his final college season plays out and where he lands on draft boards next year, but I'm sure the Vikings scouts will be watching him.
Intelligence always helps at QB. That seems to be high on the list of features our GM looks for. Perhaps McKee in round 3 or 4 this year as a start. He's big and smart also. I just hope we don't pick one guy and say ok we have our guy. Once you have nothing you need to fill the cupboard. That's us soon. Competition makes guys better or they are out.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I hate to say that McKee is a "match" for Kwesi in being a big and "cerebral" QB. He is graduating from Stanford.
I have others I would prefer such as Hendon Hooker or a number of guys in the 2024 draft.
But... Tanner McKee does probably bring a lot of Kirk Cousins to the position.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 am I hate to say that McKee is a "match" for Kwesi in being a big and "cerebral" QB. He is graduating from Stanford.
I have others I would prefer such as Hendon Hooker or a number of guys in the 2024 draft.
They could go Hooker. There are some players that will be there in round 3. They could skip all these guys this year. You look at the backup they traded for Nick Mullens and maybe they plug him in until they find another. He'll know the offense.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

What round is Max supposed to go in? The fourth? It would be worth it, even if we had to try and get a first Rd or second rd pick next year. Max has all the qualifications, and it would be pretty cool to have him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:19 pm What round is Max supposed to go in? The fourth? It would be worth it, even if we had to try and get a first Rd or second rd pick next year. Max has all the qualifications, and it would be pretty cool to have him.
He suffered an early-season injury in his 3rd season at A&M and I don't think he declared for the draft this year.

The only "Max" the Vikings could take this year at QB would be Max Duggan out of Texas Christian. Duggan reminds me of Tim Tebow in that he's a heck of a competitor and a great guy in the locker room, but he has some limitations at the position that likely will hinder him in the pros.
Last edited by VikingLord on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 am I hate to say that McKee is a "match" for Kwesi in being a big and "cerebral" QB. He is graduating from Stanford.
I'm not so sure McKee's strength is football intelligence.

Put another way, Christian Ponder was apparently very astute when it came to explaining play concepts and talking about the position, but under live fire it was a different story. So it seems to be with McKee, although to be fair to McKee he wasn't surrounded by the best talent at Stanford. Still, McKee had a pretty poor TD-INT ratio during his entire college career, relatively low passing TD totals, and a pedestrian yards-per-completion ratio. A lot of the hype around McKee relates to his size and presumed arm strength that comes along for the ride, but for a bigger guy his downfield production wasn't great. When the rubber meets the road, I'd rather have a QB with exceptional arm talent and recognition who clearly improves the players around him than a QB with exceptional arm strength who struggles with recognition and gets excuses made for his lack of production because the guys around him aren't all that great.

I think McKee will be a throwaway pick as a pro. He'll most likely go in the 2nd round somewhere, be talked about as a potential replacement for some team's starter where he's taken, and never take the mantle. I think his ceiling as a pro is journeyman backup.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

From what I can find on McKee he struggles with accuracy and is a statue. That's not someone worth having even as a developmental back up imo. He compares to Mike Glennon. No thanks.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:49 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:19 pm What round is Max supposed to go in? The fourth? It would be worth it, even if we had to try and get a first Rd or second rd pick next year. Max has all the qualifications, and it would be pretty cool to have him.
He suffered an early-season injury in his 3rd season at A&M and I don't think he declared for the draft this year.

The only "Max" the Vikings could take this year at QB would be Max Duggan out of Texas Christian. Duggan reminds me of Tim Tebow in that he's a heck of a competitor and a great guy in the locker room, but he has some limitations at the position that likely will hinder him in the pros.
Max Dugan Returns was a really good movie starring Jason Robards, Donald Sutherland, Marsha Mason and Matt Broderick. Probably a better movie than QB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:00 pm
I'm not so sure McKee's strength is football intelligence.

Put another way, Christian Ponder was apparently very astute when it came to explaining play concepts and talking about the position, but under live fire it was a different story. So it seems to be with McKee, although to be fair to McKee he wasn't surrounded by the best talent at Stanford. Still, McKee had a pretty poor TD-INT ratio during his entire college career, relatively low passing TD totals, and a pedestrian yards-per-completion ratio. A lot of the hype around McKee relates to his size and presumed arm strength that comes along for the ride, but for a bigger guy his downfield production wasn't great. When the rubber meets the road, I'd rather have a QB with exceptional arm talent and recognition who clearly improves the players around him than a QB with exceptional arm strength who struggles with recognition and gets excuses made for his lack of production because the guys around him aren't all that great.

I think McKee will be a throwaway pick as a pro. He'll most likely go in the 2nd round somewhere, be talked about as a potential replacement for some team's starter where he's taken, and never take the mantle. I think his ceiling as a pro is journeyman backup.
That's the great thing about the draft. It's always a good read to hear people post their views. Let's face it we can all find the good and bad with every prospect on the board. Also our own personal preferences enter the equation also. I would imagine the interviews that a team has with a player has more of an impact than how high they jumped. What I like is the highlights and low lights posted of the players. I always look at games they play against good teams. Every QB looks great in a 60-0 romp. That's part of the reason I think college ball blows. For the kids sure it's a big party at the game which is great and they should enjoy it. Another pointed out QB Stroud and my feeling is this kid is a potential super star. If the Panthers skip him they are fools. If he becomes a super star then the Bears made a stupid trade.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

https://www.drafttek.com/2023-NFL-Mock- ... und-1b.asp

how would you guys feel about this?
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

Drafts a crap shoot. Hope you get lucky.

I understand the first rounders should be solid picks. But not always true,..Every year there are first round busts..ponder, and one I recall Dennis green picked. Mental health problem.....

No player no matter what round is guaranteed a successful NFL career

We can see the best of the best film and us experts know they are future stars... but so many guys like Mandrich?, ponder,, Leaf, Countless others
High rated stars flop.... but you find later round stars like Russell Wilson’s....wasn’t he worth a first, how about Kurt Warner, wasn’t john Randle worth a first,. Purdy of the 49ers . Mr irrelevant, starting rookie.... Was Adam Thielen worth a first rounder, he was definitely better than a free agent.

My point is. After the fact we see late round picks, mid round picks become solid, elite talents, better than many first or second rounders

There is no answer or solution to the draft. Every team spends countless dollars and hours in studies, research, film, interviews and don’t come up with seven solid picks.

If the Vikings had six picks. Picked the perfect choice for each round could have a hall of fame type draft,

A thought. How many Wide receivers went before Jj Jefferson.

I am on a rant

Closing with this. Where is the expert than can judge the right players to succeed. He would a a priceless choice.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:45 pm Drafts a crap shoot. Hope you get lucky.

I understand the first rounders should be solid picks. But not always true,..Every year there are first round busts..ponder, and one I recall Dennis green picked. Mental health problem.....

No player no matter what round is guaranteed a successful NFL career

We can see the best of the best film and us experts know they are future stars... but so many guys like Mandrich?, ponder,, Leaf, Countless others
High rated stars flop.... but you find later round stars like Russell Wilson’s....wasn’t he worth a first, how about Kurt Warner, wasn’t john Randle worth a first,. Purdy of the 49ers . Mr irrelevant, starting rookie.... Was Adam Thielen worth a first rounder, he was definitely better than a free agent.

My point is. After the fact we see late round picks, mid round picks become solid, elite talents, better than many first or second rounders

There is no answer or solution to the draft. Every team spends countless dollars and hours in studies, research, film, interviews and don’t come up with seven solid picks.

If the Vikings had six picks. Picked the perfect choice for each round could have a hall of fame type draft,

A thought. How many Wide receivers went before Jj Jefferson.

I am on a rant

Closing with this. Where is the expert than can judge the right players to succeed. He would a a priceless choice.
Underwood was the guy. Nobody knows why a player succeeds or doesn't. Even the way success is measured isn't clear. I hear some say stats don't matter unless you win. So if a RB rushes for 200 yards and the team gets beat that 200 yards was worthless. So even that part isn't the same for everybody. Everybody knew Andrew Luck was pick 1 but he never made the Super Bowl. Some would call him a loser or a guy that didn't want to win. He was stuck with a crap team. If the Patriots drafted him he would have multiple SBs IMO. This year there is a QB, Richardson, who some feel could be pick 1. I'm no scout but the guy barley played and his accuracy sucks. Now a teams owner might say pick that guy so we can sell tickets. I'm sure that happens. I think Richardson is a 5th round developmental player. I'm ranting.