Future Viking qb?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Future Viking qb?

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:38 pm Maybe bring this guy in. Jordan Ta'amu. He's a dual threat guy and beat out Taylor Heinicke in a competition for the Battlehawks job. He wears No 8 so captain Kirk will need to give that up and we can use No 0, which is now valid, for Kirk since that's how many chances he has left with us. At New Mexico Military Institute he completed 59 percent of his passes for 3,014 yards, 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He added 328 yards and seven touchdowns rushing. Ta'amu moved to Ole Miss in 2017 and as a senior He completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,918 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Ta'amu also finished second on the Rebels with six rushing touchdowns and gained 342 yards on the ground. A shot in the dark but might handle the heavy RPO if that's KOC next step.
I know that KOC and staff no more than I. I hope they know what they are doing... :wink:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:38 pm Maybe bring this guy in. Jordan Ta'amu. He's a dual threat guy and beat out Taylor Heinicke in a competition for the Battlehawks job. He wears No 8 so captain Kirk will need to give that up and we can use No 0, which is now valid, for Kirk since that's how many chances he has left with us. At New Mexico Military Institute he completed 59 percent of his passes for 3,014 yards, 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He added 328 yards and seven touchdowns rushing. Ta'amu moved to Ole Miss in 2017 and as a senior He completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,918 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Ta'amu also finished second on the Rebels with six rushing touchdowns and gained 342 yards on the ground. A shot in the dark but might handle the heavy RPO if that's KOC next step.
I know that KOC and staff no more than I. I hope they know what they are doing... :wink:
Time will tell. I'm not going to knock them for winning 13 and the division title year 1. The big key is to see how our draft picks do year 2. Cine and Booth need to be starters and play average ball. If not there should be concerns.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:41 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:13 pm

Time will tell. I'm not going to knock them for winning 13 and the division title year 1. The big key is to see how our draft picks do year 2. Cine and Booth need to be starters and play average ball. If not there should be concerns.
I agree on both. Hopefully both Star. I don’t recall which one. Seems one had history of medical problems. I may be totally wrong. Maybe just one major injury.

I don’t like going high on a player of talent with a history of problems. Doesn’t do a team any good on injured reserve. Going to look up now.

But hope they shine this yr

They both played 10-11 games last two yrs
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:28 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:41 pm
I agree on both. Hopefully both Star. I don’t recall which one. Seems one had history of medical problems. I may be totally wrong. Maybe just one major injury.

I don’t like going high on a player of talent with a history of problems. Doesn’t do a team any good on injured reserve. Going to look up now.

But hope they shine this yr

They both played 10-11 games last two yrs
Booth had the history of injuries. That's why he slid to round 2. I just hope we don't reach for a QB at 23. That will set us back big time. We have many holes to fill. There will be some good players at our draft slot. I don't want to see another trade down. That pisses me off. My favorite is G O'Cyrus Torrence. This guy can block for the run and pass right now and is a big sized player. If he gets close I hope we move down for him. You won't see him pushed into the backfield.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

On the subject in general. By Alec Lewis, The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/4398991/2023/04 ... ed-article

The Minnesota Vikings want to do this on their own terms.

Fire a random dart at a quarterback? Nope, that’s not going to be the approach of this regime.

Thrust a rookie quarterback into action immediately? Also not the plan.

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made this clear more than a month ago at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“You don’t want to be forced to play the (newly drafted quarterback) on a specific day,” he said then. “You want to grow them in your culture, develop them, have them learn the playbook and eventually take over when that time comes.”

Analysts and fans alike have wondered whether that time might be coming soon.

To start, Kirk Cousins’ contract is set to void after the 2023 season. Additionally, members of the Vikings’ front office have spoken openly about the benefits of constructing a roster with a quarterback on a rookie contract. Pair those two details, and you’ll understand the recent mock draft trend of Minnesota opting for a QB in the first round.

Considering The Athletic’s draft expert, Dane Brugler, published “The Beast” on Monday, I felt it would be worthwhile to dig a bit deeper into the idea.

Specifically, I wanted to consider three questions: What does head coach Kevin O’Connell value most in a quarterback? Is there a quarterback who fits what O’Connell will seek? And, maybe most important, is this draft cycle the right time for the Vikings to chart their future at the position?

On the first topic of conversation — O’Connell’s preferences — the coach told Colin Cowherd last August about the qualities he looks for in young quarterbacks.

“We talk a lot about fundamentals and techniques and how you deliver the football and the rhythm and timing of your ability to be twitchy and to speed it up when you have to,” O’Connell told Cowherd, “and those are all great things. But when the rock leaves your hands, when you throw that football, you have to be in control of it at this level and be able to put it where you want it and be able to do it with different rhythms and timings and anticipations.”

O’Connell spent considerable time working with quarterbacks at the Elite 11 competition and in the private sector before transitioning into coaching in the NFL. His thoughts are byproducts of those experiences and witnessing the developmental arcs of other big-time players.

On the podcast with Cowherd, O’Connell mentioned Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert and a quality of his that did not initially show up on film.

“Big field vision,” O’Connell called it. “And it’s not always the tall guys — because I am 6-foot-5, and a lot of times I couldn’t see anything. But if guys can see, and if they can feel voids, leverages and techniques — and they’re accurate — then we’re going to be able to get the ball out in rhythm a lot. The pass rush may be humming, but they’re not going to get home in time if we anticipate and see and feel.”

So which quarterbacks in this year’s draft possess these qualities in Brugler’s eyes? Bryce Young, of course.

“Quick-minded player and processes his surroundings extremely well (is “genius level” on the board, according to one NFL GM),” Brugler wrote. “His vision and ability to create out of structure are special … naturally accurate from any arm angle (78 percent adjusted career completion rate).”

Young, though, will likely be gone in the first two selections. So will C.J. Stroud.

Who from the next tier makes sense? Maybe Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker, who Brugler wrote is a “highly efficient passer (who has a) clean load and delivery with a smooth stroke.” Still, there remain questions about his game. “Too many passes sail, forcing receivers to work for the catch,” Brugler wrote. “His decision-making often feels predetermined in Tennessee’s offense.”

Kentucky quarterback Will Levis’ weaknesses seem to speak directly to what O’Connell wants to avoid. “Average passing instincts, decision-making and accuracy,” Brugler wrote. “Doesn’t consistently trust his vision, creating too many hitches/pullbacks with his arm or disruptions in his base.”

Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener could be a possibility in the later rounds. He’s an “efficient field-reader and routinely finds his third or fourth progression on the play,” Brugler wrote.

Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee is another option. “Tall, projectable frame and sees the field well,” Brugler wrote. “His accuracy is above average when he sets his feet and stays balanced through delivery.”

Those names, though, lead us to the broader topic of whether now is really the optimal time for the Vikings to select the guy they hope to be their quarterback of the future.

Cousins is under contract through this season, so a draft pick could sit, learn and adapt to NFL life. But is the rest of the roster good enough to start the rookie QB contract clock now? Moreover, does it make sense to start that clock now even though Cousins’ dead cap hit will be on the books next season?

Let’s glance over at Kansas City’s recent accomplishments for a reference point. In 2017, the Chiefs traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes. He sat behind Alex Smith for a season. Armed with experience, perspective, system familiarity and trust from his teammates, he transitioned into the NFL’s pre-eminent torturer of defenses.

If only it were that simple for all teams trying to build contenders. Not only did the Chiefs select the right guy, but their roster already included Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and Chris Jones. Additionally, once the Chiefs decided to move on from Smith, his contract did not hamstring the roster the following season.

All of that is to say the Chiefs were in prime position to climb up the draft board. To allow Mahomes to sit for a season. To benefit from his rookie contract.

To make such a massive move on their terms.

Are the Vikings?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 am On the subject in general. By Alec Lewis, The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/4398991/2023/04 ... ed-article

The Minnesota Vikings want to do this on their own terms.

Fire a random dart at a quarterback? Nope, that’s not going to be the approach of this regime.

Thrust a rookie quarterback into action immediately? Also not the plan.

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah made this clear more than a month ago at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“You don’t want to be forced to play the (newly drafted quarterback) on a specific day,” he said then. “You want to grow them in your culture, develop them, have them learn the playbook and eventually take over when that time comes.”

Analysts and fans alike have wondered whether that time might be coming soon.

To start, Kirk Cousins’ contract is set to void after the 2023 season. Additionally, members of the Vikings’ front office have spoken openly about the benefits of constructing a roster with a quarterback on a rookie contract. Pair those two details, and you’ll understand the recent mock draft trend of Minnesota opting for a QB in the first round.

Considering The Athletic’s draft expert, Dane Brugler, published “The Beast” on Monday, I felt it would be worthwhile to dig a bit deeper into the idea.

Specifically, I wanted to consider three questions: What does head coach Kevin O’Connell value most in a quarterback? Is there a quarterback who fits what O’Connell will seek? And, maybe most important, is this draft cycle the right time for the Vikings to chart their future at the position?

On the first topic of conversation — O’Connell’s preferences — the coach told Colin Cowherd last August about the qualities he looks for in young quarterbacks.

“We talk a lot about fundamentals and techniques and how you deliver the football and the rhythm and timing of your ability to be twitchy and to speed it up when you have to,” O’Connell told Cowherd, “and those are all great things. But when the rock leaves your hands, when you throw that football, you have to be in control of it at this level and be able to put it where you want it and be able to do it with different rhythms and timings and anticipations.”

O’Connell spent considerable time working with quarterbacks at the Elite 11 competition and in the private sector before transitioning into coaching in the NFL. His thoughts are byproducts of those experiences and witnessing the developmental arcs of other big-time players.

On the podcast with Cowherd, O’Connell mentioned Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert and a quality of his that did not initially show up on film.

“Big field vision,” O’Connell called it. “And it’s not always the tall guys — because I am 6-foot-5, and a lot of times I couldn’t see anything. But if guys can see, and if they can feel voids, leverages and techniques — and they’re accurate — then we’re going to be able to get the ball out in rhythm a lot. The pass rush may be humming, but they’re not going to get home in time if we anticipate and see and feel.”

So which quarterbacks in this year’s draft possess these qualities in Brugler’s eyes? Bryce Young, of course.

“Quick-minded player and processes his surroundings extremely well (is “genius level” on the board, according to one NFL GM),” Brugler wrote. “His vision and ability to create out of structure are special … naturally accurate from any arm angle (78 percent adjusted career completion rate).”

Young, though, will likely be gone in the first two selections. So will C.J. Stroud.

Who from the next tier makes sense? Maybe Tennessee quarterback Hendon Hooker, who Brugler wrote is a “highly efficient passer (who has a) clean load and delivery with a smooth stroke.” Still, there remain questions about his game. “Too many passes sail, forcing receivers to work for the catch,” Brugler wrote. “His decision-making often feels predetermined in Tennessee’s offense.”

Kentucky quarterback Will Levis’ weaknesses seem to speak directly to what O’Connell wants to avoid. “Average passing instincts, decision-making and accuracy,” Brugler wrote. “Doesn’t consistently trust his vision, creating too many hitches/pullbacks with his arm or disruptions in his base.”

Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener could be a possibility in the later rounds. He’s an “efficient field-reader and routinely finds his third or fourth progression on the play,” Brugler wrote.

Stanford quarterback Tanner McKee is another option. “Tall, projectable frame and sees the field well,” Brugler wrote. “His accuracy is above average when he sets his feet and stays balanced through delivery.”

Those names, though, lead us to the broader topic of whether now is really the optimal time for the Vikings to select the guy they hope to be their quarterback of the future.

Cousins is under contract through this season, so a draft pick could sit, learn and adapt to NFL life. But is the rest of the roster good enough to start the rookie QB contract clock now? Moreover, does it make sense to start that clock now even though Cousins’ dead cap hit will be on the books next season?

Let’s glance over at Kansas City’s recent accomplishments for a reference point. In 2017, the Chiefs traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes. He sat behind Alex Smith for a season. Armed with experience, perspective, system familiarity and trust from his teammates, he transitioned into the NFL’s pre-eminent torturer of defenses.

If only it were that simple for all teams trying to build contenders. Not only did the Chiefs select the right guy, but their roster already included Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and Chris Jones. Additionally, once the Chiefs decided to move on from Smith, his contract did not hamstring the roster the following season.

All of that is to say the Chiefs were in prime position to climb up the draft board. To allow Mahomes to sit for a season. To benefit from his rookie contract.

To make such a massive move on their terms.

Are the Vikings?
Kewsi talks in circles. For example "You want to grow them in your culture" which is a bunch of nonsense. He signed his prized FA Za'Darius so you would think he fits the culture right? We'll the guy just asked for his release. Is that part of this so called culture? What QB in the draft will complain and begged to be let go. Draft that guy. He fits this so called Culture.
Using the Chiefs as an example and just pointing out the great move of Mahomes is wrong. They make a bunch of great moves. When there OL struggled they didn't sit around wondering what to do. They threw the starting 5 in the garbage and replaced them all in one off season. What is Kewsi doing? Signing and keeping the same stiffs. That don't match in my mind. I would like to see Mahomes behind a garbage OL. The results wouldn't be the same. They weren't once and the Chiefs fixed it in one swing. The Chiefs also had 4 rookies playing in their secondary in packages. Our rookies sat and did nothing for the majority of the season.
Wait Ingram played and sucked. What is the plan now? Sit and hope? That will never work. Re stock now with guys that can play. It's been done before. Kewsi is waiting for it to come to him. That's not a smart guy.
----------------------------
Each of the Chiefs' 10 rookies played a significant role in pushing the team toward its second Super Bowl win in four years. First-round picks cornerback Trent McDuffie and defensive end George Karlaftis were starters on the defense and contributed all season.Feb 12, 2023.
--------------------------------------------------
This article says nothing about any of those things. It's Mahomes and nothing else which is a bunch of BS. The Chiefs have been drafting well. They got rid of that over priced WR but made sure that OL stayed intact. Their D scored a TD in the SB. None of this is mentioned.
Bottom line when you suck in the trenches you are basically done. That's football 101. Here we are year 2 in a 3-4 and were is our NT that will eat up bodies and cave the LOS in. Kewsi is waiting. When we switched that guy needed to be there or don't make the switch. Zero flexibility.