Donatel needs the axe

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Donatel needs the axe

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:05 am
VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:08 am

The whole team was bad in the first half. I can't lay it all at the feet of the defense. The special teams gave up big plays, the offense turned it over, and the team overall was really bad. The defense did give up over 200 yards in the half, so they don't get a pass, but it truly was a team effort to fall so far behind.
It was a team effort the 2nd half also. The D actually did a great job. Of course the Colts suck which always helps. Regardless of the final outcome this season I want Donatell gone. This bend but don't break BS is the most lame a$$ philosophy I have ever seen. Even the 85 Bears with their personnel would have been crap in this scheme. William Perry would have played DE at 335+ and Dent would have been shifted out of the action. I can't think of one positive aspect of this scheme.
Whatever adjustments were made in the 2nd half worked because the Colts got shut down on offense. I do think Donatell tightened things up greatly because Shelley and Peterson were getting their hands on passes and generally the Vikings were coming up hard to make some stops. It wasn't shut down defense in the 2nd, but I also don't think the Colts went uber conservative on offense, either. The Vikings defense did tighten, and now Donatell needs to show he can keep things tightened up for the remainder of the season.

If the defense does play better from here on out I'd be less inclined to call for Donatell's removal. If he shows he can adjust and things get better, all is forgiven. :govikes:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:44 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:05 am
It was a team effort the 2nd half also. The D actually did a great job. Of course the Colts suck which always helps. Regardless of the final outcome this season I want Donatell gone. This bend but don't break BS is the most lame a$$ philosophy I have ever seen. Even the 85 Bears with their personnel would have been crap in this scheme. William Perry would have played DE at 335+ and Dent would have been shifted out of the action. I can't think of one positive aspect of this scheme.
Whatever adjustments were made in the 2nd half worked because the Colts got shut down on offense. I do think Donatell tightened things up greatly because Shelley and Peterson were getting their hands on passes and generally the Vikings were coming up hard to make some stops. It wasn't shut down defense in the 2nd, but I also don't think the Colts went uber conservative on offense, either. The Vikings defense did tighten, and now Donatell needs to show he can keep things tightened up for the remainder of the season.

If the defense does play better from here on out I'd be less inclined to call for Donatell's removal. If he shows he can adjust and things get better, all is forgiven. :govikes:
There was also more blitzing in the 2nd half. More than ive ever seen Donatell call. If you harass the opposing teams QB, good things happen.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:29 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:44 am

There was also more blitzing in the 2nd half. More than ive ever seen Donatell call. If you harass the opposing teams QB, good things happen.
It has always come down to getting after the QB. If you can't apply pressure your defense is sunk. Every good defense we have ever had it all started with pressure on the QB. That goes for every team in the league. This game comes down to the play at the LOS. You need to win that battle for everything else to fall into place. RBs can't get any yardage when there is nothing there. Last week Cook took a hand off and was surrounded by 3 guys the minute he took a step. It was over. I've had enough of Donatell and his soft scheme. Even if we win the Super Bowl tell him to step down and say he wants to go out on top. If he refuses fire him. I've seen enough of this soft scheme.