Vikings @ Lions post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings @ Lions post game

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:24 pm
Tark wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:21 pm One and done or if we’re lucky, two and barbecue in the playoffs.
Yup, as much as it was just one loss it gave us the feeling of what this season is, I dunno about the rest of you but making the playoffs is great, however knowing you have zero chance is beyond bitter sweet. It’s 10-3 but doesn’t feel like a 10-3 should.
Don't you think the Bengals fans felt the same way last year? I know I thought they were one and done. It's a loss to a division team and they were favored.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

makila wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:43 pm Line play was horrible both passing and running games. Yes two starters injured. Definitely was impactful.

Defense I can't say much about. I am down on it and have been. Do not like the scheme and what it does. Yuck.

Kudos jj on the single game yardage record. Kirk had a heck of a game through the air. Much due to complete lack of run game. He did deliver though. WRs seemed good. Hockenson had the one drop for an easy 1st...

I do not get the 2 pt conversion early in the game. I know in hindsight it made no difference. Still don't get it and didn't think it was smart.
Jefferson is an amazing player. Other receivers showed up too, like Osborne on that TD catch. That one was fantastic.

It's hard to say the Vikings flopped on offense necessarily. The run game was terrible, but the pass game made up for most of those flaws and they scored enough points to win if the Vikings could even put a speed bump on the field on the defensive side of the football.

What Bynum was doing on that first Lions TD will remain a mystery for the rest of time. On the 2nd Lions TD, Metellus comes down into the box area and then does what? The WR on that side runs right by him, then right by Dantzler who lined up 10+ yards deep pre-snap. As the ball sails deep, Metellus is still sitting in an area of the field where literally no Lions players are while Dantzler is beaten and cooked.

These are the best schemes Donatell can devise? Or maybe it's the players? Or maybe both? I find it hard to understand how the defense can remain so horribly incompetent game after game after game. I mean, how many times now have we watched opposing QBs play pitch-and-catch with wide open receivers across the middle of the field? Does Donatell really think his four down rushers are going to get pressure to disrupt those plays? When does he think that is going to happen and even if they eventually do, what is the harm with tightening up coverages? Does he lack faith in his secondary players to actually be able to do what most other NFL defensive secondary players can do? I mean, what is the problem, and why is he doing nothing to address it?

Donatell has literally invented the impossible - a prevent defense that can't prevent anything. It still gives up big passing plays, still leaves receivers so wide open so consistently in the same spots that I bet a undrafted QB could come in and exploit it once he learned the keys to read the defense, and apparently rests on an assumption of pass rush pressure that simply isn't materializing. This is a bad defense plain and simple. If they don't create turnovers, they get cooked like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Something has to be done to switch things up on defense. I refuse to believe the Vikings have a talent deficit on defense to the degree the statistics suggest they have. This seems to be a coaching and/or scheme and/or preparation problem.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:32 pm

That sounds gleeful to you? Was meant to sound like maybe the luck is gone.
The laugh emoji, the exclamation point, just the whole tone. Sh!t like “and you all thought those wins were real.”

You’ve been telling us all season long how big a fraud this team is. Seems to me you’d rather be right than the Vikings win. Well congratulations. I guess you get to gloat now.
You assume a lot dont you. Talk down to anyone that disagrees with you. Just because I know this isnt the Vikings team that will make it to the SB doesnt mean I dont cheer them on, or the good bad fan crap.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

CharVike wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:05 pm
allday1991 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:24 pm

Yup, as much as it was just one loss it gave us the feeling of what this season is, I dunno about the rest of you but making the playoffs is great, however knowing you have zero chance is beyond bitter sweet. It’s 10-3 but doesn’t feel like a 10-3 should.
Don't you think the Bengals fans felt the same way last year? I know I thought they were one and done. It's a loss to a division team and they were favored.
Dont compare us to them. They had a decent Oline and running game. We dont. And I think we might have one of the worst defenses I have seen.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:11 pm
makila wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:43 pm Line play was horrible both passing and running games. Yes two starters injured. Definitely was impactful.

Defense I can't say much about. I am down on it and have been. Do not like the scheme and what it does. Yuck.

Kudos jj on the single game yardage record. Kirk had a heck of a game through the air. Much due to complete lack of run game. He did deliver though. WRs seemed good. Hockenson had the one drop for an easy 1st...

I do not get the 2 pt conversion early in the game. I know in hindsight it made no difference. Still don't get it and didn't think it was smart.
Jefferson is an amazing player. Other receivers showed up too, like Osborne on that TD catch. That one was fantastic.

It's hard to say the Vikings flopped on offense necessarily. The run game was terrible, but the pass game made up for most of those flaws and they scored enough points to win if the Vikings could even put a speed bump on the field on the defensive side of the football.

What Bynum was doing on that first Lions TD will remain a mystery for the rest of time. On the 2nd Lions TD, Metellus comes down into the box area and then does what? The WR on that side runs right by him, then right by Dantzler who lined up 10+ yards deep pre-snap. As the ball sails deep, Metellus is still sitting in an area of the field where literally no Lions players are while Dantzler is beaten and cooked.

These are the best schemes Donatell can devise? Or maybe it's the players? Or maybe both? I find it hard to understand how the defense can remain so horribly incompetent game after game after game. I mean, how many times now have we watched opposing QBs play pitch-and-catch with wide open receivers across the middle of the field? Does Donatell really think his four down rushers are going to get pressure to disrupt those plays? When does he think that is going to happen and even if they eventually do, what is the harm with tightening up coverages? Does he lack faith in his secondary players to actually be able to do what most other NFL defensive secondary players can do? I mean, what is the problem, and why is he doing nothing to address it?

Donatell has literally invented the impossible - a prevent defense that can't prevent anything. It still gives up big passing plays, still leaves receivers so wide open so consistently in the same spots that I bet a undrafted QB could come in and exploit it once he learned the keys to read the defense, and apparently rests on an assumption of pass rush pressure that simply isn't materializing. This is a bad defense plain and simple. If they don't create turnovers, they get cooked like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Something has to be done to switch things up on defense. I refuse to believe the Vikings have a talent deficit on defense to the degree the statistics suggest they have. This seems to be a coaching and/or scheme and/or preparation problem.
Receivers did well for the most part but I think Vikings will need to find a replacement for Theilen soon since he is declining
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Agreed. Esp. about JJ, man is he fun to watch!

Also agree on the Defense. We didnt have luck on our side, which we usually did this season, and man, did we ever get exposed. Again. The fix for the D wont come this season. Maybe next year we revert to the 4-3, or find a new DC that can get 3-4 to work for us. For a 10-3 team, we sure have holes.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:19 pm

Agreed. Esp. about JJ, man is he fun to watch!

Also agree on the Defense. We didnt have luck on our side, which we usually did this season, and man, did we ever get exposed. Again. The fix for the D wont come this season. Maybe next year we revert to the 4-3, or find a new DC that can get 3-4 to work for us. For a 10-3 team, we sure have holes.
Vikings will have to find another defensive coordinator, Donatell was never a good defensive coordinator so I do not know what the Vikings were thinking hiring Donatell
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:39 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:05 pm
Dont compare us to them. They had a decent Oline and running game. We dont. And I think we might have one of the worst defenses I have seen.
The bengals offensive line was pathetic last year. Not sure what you were watching.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:36 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:57 pm
The laugh emoji, the exclamation point, just the whole tone. Sh!t like “and you all thought those wins were real.”

You’ve been telling us all season long how big a fraud this team is. Seems to me you’d rather be right than the Vikings win. Well congratulations. I guess you get to gloat now.
You assume a lot dont you. Talk down to anyone that disagrees with you. Just because I know this isnt the Vikings team that will make it to the SB doesnt mean I dont cheer them on, or the good bad fan crap.
Literally every week you say the Vikings got “lucky”. 10 wins is way too many wins to be “lucky”. But because the Vikings lost one game to the lions that means our “luck” ran out? Your logic here is honestly laughable
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:34 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Literally every week you say the Vikings got “lucky”. 10 wins is way too many wins to be “lucky”. But because the Vikings lost one game to the lions that means our “luck” ran out? Your logic here is honestly laughable
As are yours. Thanks for the attack though.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not a lot to add.

1. Kirk Cousins did all he could to win this game, as did JJ, Thielen, Osborn and Hockenson. The O-line and Dalvin, not so much.

2. I’m as big a KOC supporter as there is, but he did not have a good game today. Terrible play call on the jump pass. Different game if the Vikes score there. Terrible call to go for two. Robbed the team of momentum. I know the in-vogue thing is to go for two when you’re down 8, but that analytical scenario is for late in the game, not the third quarter. Both those calls, he got cute and outsmarted himself. Hard to believe KOC could get out-coached by Dan Campbell.

3. Worst defensive performance since the Christmas-day debacle in New Orleans two years ago. Horrible.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:13 pm Not a lot to add.

1. Kirk Cousins did all he could to win this game, as did JJ, Thielen, Osborn and Hockenson. The O-line and Dalvin, not so much.

2. I’m as big a KOC supporter as there is, but he did not have a good game today. Terrible play call on the jump pass. Different game if the Vikes score there. Terrible call to go for two. Robbed the team of momentum. I know the in-vogue thing is to go for two when you’re down 8, but that analytical scenario is for late in the game, not the third quarter. Both those calls, he got cute and outsmarted himself. Hard to believe KOC could get out-coached by Dan Campbell.

3. Worst defensive performance since the Christmas-day debacle in New Orleans two years ago. Horrible.
You forgot about the Cowboys game
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:48 pm
quiznut1 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:39 pm One win at most in the playoffs, plain and simple.

We should win the division, but we aren't going further than one win in the playoffs. Too many areas the opposition can expose us, and did today.

JJ - career day, and only bright spot on either side of the ball today.
Cousins did well too with 425 yards and 2 touchdowns so Cousins and Jefferson are the only bright side on either side of the ball
I agree. Cousins did well. Cousins is not the problem. Perfectk no. But not the problem.

The problem is our defense. We need to replace Donatell sp as DC.
I think this is the 4th or 5th strait games this defense gave up 400 plus yards. An all time Viking record..a Viking first.

Detroit earned, deserved today’s game"

I looked at this team as it is from the beginning. When we were 7-1.the only good team we played was the Eagles. They beat us well" I
said this week and earlier. Detroit gave us game 1.

I mentioned the Bills, Jets, Patriots,Will be good tests.

Many responded they were happy at7-1 etc. I was too. But we probably are a a 10-7 team.

With a defense giving up 400 yards a game. We are what we are.

We Easily could go one and done in the play offs.

But a positive.playoffs are a whole new season. What happened during the regular season, doesn’t matter. It’s a whole new season. But the defense needs to find a answer
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:35 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:48 pm

Cousins did well too with 425 yards and 2 touchdowns so Cousins and Jefferson are the only bright side on either side of the ball
I agree. Cousins did well. Cousins is not the problem. Perfectk no. But not the problem.

The problem is our defense. We need to replace Donatell sp as DC.
I think this is the 4th or 5th strait games this defense gave up 400 plus yards. An all time Viking record..a Viking first.

Detroit earned, deserved today’s game"

I looked at this team as it is from the beginning. When we were 7-1.the only good team we played was the Eagles. They beat us well" I
said this week and earlier. Detroit gave us game 1.

I mentioned the Bills, Jets, Patriots,Will be good tests.

Many responded they were happy at7-1 etc. I was too. But we probably are a a 10-7 team.

With a defense giving up 400 yards a game. We are what we are.

We Easily could go one and done in the play offs.

But a positive.playoffs are a whole new season. What happened during the regular season, doesn’t matter. It’s a whole new season. But the defense needs to find a answer
I thought the Les Steckle year was the first but I looked it up but it was points allowed but yeah, this record of Vikings have now given up 400-plus total yards in five consecutive games. That is the longest single-season streak in franchise history which is embarrassing
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:22 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:34 pm

As are yours. Thanks for the attack though.
“The attack”. Why is it that every time someone responds to you they are “attacking” you? Is your skin really that thin? Maybe people are just getting sick of listening to your “luck” rant week after week.
-Chazz Palminteri