Jets @ Vikings post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Jets @ Vikings post game

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:17 pm I think the Jets are a tough team. They beat the Bills too. I'll take a hard fought win. I also think this team can go far in the playoffs if they block and tackle. Too many missed tackles and I'm not sold on the interior offensive line. Jimmy G is out for the season so that's probably one less team to worry about. We need the NFC East to beat up on each other.
We're done with the NFC east and went 2-2. If we get the Iggles or Cowpukes in the playoffs we will beat them the next time around.
We still have the Giants. Once in the playoffs anything can happen.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:17 pm I think the Jets are a tough team. They beat the Bills too. I'll take a hard fought win. I also think this team can go far in the playoffs if they block and tackle. Too many missed tackles and I'm not sold on the interior offensive line. Jimmy G is out for the season so that's probably one less team to worry about. We need the NFC East to beat up on each other.
I wouldn't write the 49ers off. They are well coached and that D can dominate. The rookie Purdy at QB is a question mark but he did enough for the win. He was mentioned on this board last draft as a possible guy to select. Could be a Cinderella story. That Jet team is tough. They play D and that always keeps you in a game. They have a QB problem but that White throws a nice ball but he struggled down close. Things tighten up as you get closer to the end zone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Patrick Jones is showing a burst from the edge. Year 2 is a big year for players and he's stepping up.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I think this team has the talent (except probably the OL) to make a run at the Super Bowl. What concerns me MORE than the personnel is the coaching. Yes..KOC has brought a close knit winning atmosphere to the team, which is great, but there some things that, I personally don't like.

3rd & short play calling - I know KOC is a passing coach, but C'mon Man! This year this is their play calls on 3rd & short:
3rd & 3 - 1 Run, 10 passes
3rd & 2 - 2 Runs,13 passes
3rd & 1 - 10 Runs, 12 Passes

That's lopsided play calling, and has become way to predictable.

I'm also not a fan of the defensive philosophy of soft coverage and tighten up in the red zone. And PLEASE, blitz more!!

KOC also needs to work on time management.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 pm
We're done with the NFC east and went 2-2. If we get the Iggles or Cowpukes in the playoffs we will beat them the next time around.
Still play the Giants. I wish I shared your optimism.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Watching Get Up on ESPN this morning. Talking about the 49ers and the injury to JG. Saying the 49ers are still in good shape in the 3 horse race of the NFC(with eagles, cowboys). They've said essentially that statement multiple times now.

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am I think this team has the talent (except probably the OL) to make a run at the Super Bowl. What concerns me MORE than the personnel is the coaching. Yes..KOC has brought a close knit winning atmosphere to the team, which is great, but there some things that, I personally don't like.

3rd & short play calling - I know KOC is a passing coach, but C'mon Man! This year this is their play calls on 3rd & short:

I'm also not a fan of the defensive philosophy of soft coverage and tighten up in the red zone. And PLEASE, blitz more!!

The blitz with Hunter up the guy was the first creative defensive play I've seen all year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:52 am I think this team has the talent (except probably the OL) to make a run at the Super Bowl. What concerns me MORE than the personnel is the coaching. Yes..KOC has brought a close knit winning atmosphere to the team, which is great, but there some things that, I personally don't like.

As for play calling... have you seen the interior OL EVER push back the DL? How do you run on 3rd and short when you cannot execute it? They are calling plays to the teams strengths. Kirk is a very accurate passer and this is the scheme. Look at how NE used the short passing game in place of runs for so many years. Definitely not comparing Kirk to TB12 !!!

Agree completely with you on the Defense needing to do more. It is ugly !
As for KOC and time management, he hired Ryan Cordell specifically for this when he got the job. Cordell is the Game Management Coordinator. It is what it is.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Every game lately seems to reinforce this feeling that we are " one and done" in playoffs. Relying on having a lucky horseshoe up yer butt is NOT a gameplan when facing good teams. Its a fun formula for the regular season giggles but no way does this current level of play get us near the Super Bowl. More than anything, its the Defence that needs to up its game and become more consistent.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We all have things we don't like. IMO we have a better shot of making a 3rd and 3 passing than trying to run. We have played against some very good D fronts and I don't think our OL is good enough to open holes when the front is stacked. Bradbury can't hold the point or drive people back. On 3rd and 1 I think it's a good idea to put it up. Play action off that can work great. They know the match ups we have and if they don't think our guys can move people off the ball then why waste the play. I hate our defensive philosophy. This bend but don't break sucks. I like a defense that attacks. However it's hard to argue against 10-2.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Great post. I was saying during the game yesterday, I'm sick of seeing 3rd and 3's and we drop back and everyone is out of the camera because KOC sent everyone on deep routes. Like where is the dump off? Where is the shallow cross? Drives me nuts. You do a good job getting to 3rd and manageable and then make a 3rd down play call like it's 3rd and 15 and not 3rd and 3.

Also, I feel like in the last 2 games when they did blitz (which was very rare), they rattled Mac and White. Like to me, the defense looks no different every time we line up. Usually 4 guys on the line rushing 4 and everyone dropping. Sometimes they will bring Zadarius inside but notice he's been very quiet the past couple weeks. I think that's because they are becoming too predictable with him.

I've used this example before but I love watching KC's defense. Yes they get burned at times but they are super aggressive. Constantly giving different looks at the line, constantly blitzing and I dont believe they have the talent we have on defense. It's close but I think Andy Reid notices that if they just sit in coverage and rush 4, they are probably toast. But if they make QBs panic and become multiple with your looks, it helps tremendously.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I know its hard to argue with our 10-2 record, and I worry that our coaches are content knowing that they are cementing in their job security even though they realize their game plan will not work on upper tier teams and post season level of play. I feel like they are showing ownership the limits of what they can accomplish with the lvl of play talent they have been given. Thats not a mindset that satisfies me. Great coaches, ala Bellicheck, take their players and scheme around them every week to exceed expectation. I havent seen much of that from our brain trust yet.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

chicagopurple wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:41 am Every game lately seems to reinforce this feeling that we are " one and done" in playoffs. Relying on having a lucky horseshoe up yer butt is NOT a gameplan when facing good teams. Its a fun formula for the regular season giggles but no way does this current level of play get us near the Super Bowl. More than anything, its the Defence that needs to up its game and become more consistent.
Buffalo, New England and the Jets are good teams.

Not being Pollyanna here. The defense needs to step it up somehow, although I continue to believe it’s a talent/athleticism issue. But the Vikings just went through a 4-game gauntlet against playoff-quality teams and went 3-1. Who among us predicted that?

I’m always optimistic. So I do not believe the Vikings are one-and-done. They’ll be the No. 2 seed assuming things stay on the same track. That means they’ll play the 7 seed at home. I’d be stunned if they lost. Beyond that, I’m not sure the defense is athletic enough to get to the conference championship game. But they keep defying the odds, so nothing would surprise me.

Here’s the other thing. With nine 1-score wins and six 4th-quarter comebacks, this team is battle tested. It’s no accident they’re winning these types of games. KOC and the staff place an incredible amount of emphasis on situational football, devoting most of an entire day each week to it. By contrast, look at Philly. They’ve played only four 1-score games, including their only loss. Dallas has played five. The 49ers only two! If the game is close late, I take the battle tested Vikings. Not a lot of blowouts in the playoffs.

This team is definitely not perfect. We all would have preferred to see the Vikings put the Jets away with a 20-3 lead. But let’s not discount the fact that they built that lead to begin with, and against a top-4 defense. The Vikings can compete. Winning it all is a tall order, but things have gone much better than any of us thought it would. It’s a new day in Minnesota, and I don’t think it’s productive to assume this team will go one-and-done simply because past Vikings teams have.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:51 am

Great post. I was saying during the game yesterday, I'm sick of seeing 3rd and 3's and we drop back and everyone is out of the camera because KOC sent everyone on deep routes. Like where is the dump off? Where is the shallow cross? Drives me nuts. You do a good job getting to 3rd and manageable and then make a 3rd down play call like it's 3rd and 15 and not 3rd and 3.

Also, I feel like in the last 2 games when they did blitz (which was very rare), they rattled Mac and White. Like to me, the defense looks no different every time we line up. Usually 4 guys on the line rushing 4 and everyone dropping. Sometimes they will bring Zadarius inside but notice he's been very quiet the past couple weeks. I think that's because they are becoming too predictable with him.

I've used this example before but I love watching KC's defense. Yes they get burned at times but they are super aggressive. Constantly giving different looks at the line, constantly blitzing and I dont believe they have the talent we have on defense. It's close but I think Andy Reid notices that if they just sit in coverage and rush 4, they are probably toast. But if they make QBs panic and become multiple with your looks, it helps tremendously.
Absolutely. It's one thing that they are passing all the time in these situations, but it always seems to be some low percentage pass play....like you said, like it's 3rd and 15 or 20. My point, you got to call a run every now and then to keep them honest, and when you pass, have a safety dump off option, or call short pass routes.