Do we actually (gulp!) have a decent O-line?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Do we actually (gulp!) have a decent O-line?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PFF overall grades for our offensive linemen through three weeks.

Darrisaw: 75.5 (14th / 70 T)
Cleveland: 68.7 (20th / 73 G)
Bradbury: 69.8 (6th / 35 C)
Ingram: 56.2 (43rd / 73 G)
O'Neill: 75.9 (12th / 70 T)

Darrisaw is trending upward. Against Detroit, he didn't allow a single pressure on 47 pass blocking snaps yesterday, graded at 88.4 per PFF. He was also the Vikings' best run blocker at 86.7.

At the risk of jinxing this, are we FINALLY on the way toward having a good O-line?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Do we actually (gulp!) have a decent O-line?

Post by Texas Vike »

So far, so good... that's all I dare to say!

It's been a pleasant surprise. :v):
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Once Ingram learns the ropes, for the first time since the Birk, and the guy we got from Seatle (Hutchingson?) we will have a legit Oline, both in run and pass protection. Cousins should thrive in that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I’m also starting to think we have one of the best tackle tandems in the nfl in Darrisaw and O’Neill. Something I feel like we haven’t had in a long time. Those two are going to be really good for a long time.

Ezra I feel like is always solid. Isn’t a world beater guard but definitely a solid one.

Ingram I think will come along. I like the flashes he has shown.

The most surprising is clearly Bradbury. I actually thought about it after the Detroit game with him. He hasn’t stuck out like he has in the past and that’s all I can ask for at this point with him. I’ve seen him get forklifted a couple times this year but way less than before. This is also the best guard combo he’s played with since coming in the league. He’s always been a good run blocker but I’ve been impressed with the pass blocking. Maybe KOC noticed something in him we didn’t. It was definitely a head scratcher they didn’t replace him but maybe this is why.

Knock on wood this good OL play keeps going!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Oline Pressure percentage by year (pressure allowed per snap by the Oline):
2022: 83.9
2021: 84.4
2020: 82.9
2019: 83.8
2018: 80.9
2017: 85.6
2016: 82.2
2015: 79.6
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Oline Pressure percentage by year (pressure allowed per snap by the Oline):
Yikes...
Sandpounder27
Rookie

Post by Sandpounder27 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Oline Pressure percentage by year (pressure allowed per snap by the Oline):
Even though our line hasn’t been very good, this seems like extremely high pressure percentages. Is this saying we give up pressure on 80+% of plays for almost a decade?
Sandpounder27
Rookie

Post by Sandpounder27 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:00 pm PFF overall grades for our offensive linemen through three weeks.

Darrisaw: 75.5 (14th / 70 T)
Cleveland: 68.7 (20th / 73 G)
Bradbury: 69.8 (6th / 35 C)
Ingram: 56.2 (43rd / 73 G)
O'Neill: 75.9 (12th / 70 T)

Darrisaw is trending upward. Against Detroit, he didn't allow a single pressure on 47 pass blocking snaps yesterday, graded at 88.4 per PFF. He was also the Vikings' best run blocker at 86.7.

At the risk of jinxing this, are we FINALLY on the way toward having a good O-line?
Using PFF overall rankings it looks like they are better so far. From the very little research I did, last years overall grades were as follows: Darrisaw 71.8, this year 75.5
Cleveland 68.1, this year 68.7
Bradbury 60.2, this year 69.8
Udoh 54.7, this year Ingram 56.2
O’Neil 73.7, this year 75.9
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Darrisaw is on the rise, but Brian O'Neill is still the anchor. He leads all tackles in pass block win rate (97%) through three weeks, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Overall, the Vikings are 4th lowest overall in sack percentage at 3.3%. Some will find fault with that stat. I don’t care. Keeping Kirk upright is key to this team improving. There’s no reason to believe they won’t continue to get better. The Rams won the Super Bowl and didn’t have a single Pro Bowler on the O-line. This system appears to be O-line friendly.

We also have to remember, this is a brand-new offensive system that is pretty complex. None of our starters played in the preseason. It might take 5-6 weeks for this offensive unit to truly hit their stride.

Thus far, I’m pretty happy with the play of our O-line.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Sandpounder27 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:16 am
Even though our line hasn’t been very good, this seems like extremely high pressure percentages. Is this saying we give up pressure on 80+% of plays for almost a decade?
Yeah, it'd be good to have some context too. Are those percentages bad? Average? How are pressures measured?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:05 am
Sandpounder27 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:16 am

Yeah, it'd be good to have some context too. Are those percentages bad? Average? How are pressures measured?
That is on me. This is actually the Pass Blocking Efficiency stat where as pressure percentage is the inverse of that. Got them mixed up in my head while typing.

For context, the best Olines top out around 90%, the worst around 80%. The difference of about 4 pressures in a typical game between the best and the worst with the Vikings typically falling in-between in recent years.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Stats aside they passed the eye test and appear to be much improved since last year. Kirk had enough time to move the offense and pull off a last minute win. We hurt ourselves with dropped balls and route running more than anything that can be pinned on the O-line.

The mistakes and unfamiliarity will take care of itself. If we can score quickly on the scripted plays and avoid three and outs and spotting the opponent a couple scores in the first half the pass rush will flourish. I think we’re doing great considering that every system has been overhauled.

Patience, the season is a marathon and not a sprint. Players will go down with injury, matchups will change weekly. Not only do teams have to get in the playoffs but being the top seed helps and this is the time of year that can affect the end of the season if they lose too many games. Not having home field advantage in the playoffs forces teams to play at places like Green Bay in January and Philly regardless of the weather. The building blocks we put down now by stacking up wins will determine our post season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StanM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:37 am Stats aside they passed the eye test and appear to be much improved since last year. Kirk had enough time to move the offense and pull off a last minute win. We hurt ourselves with dropped balls and route running more than anything that can be pinned on the O-line.

The mistakes and unfamiliarity will take care of itself. If we can score quickly on the scripted plays and avoid three and outs and spotting the opponent a couple scores in the first half the pass rush will flourish. I think we’re doing great considering that every system has been overhauled.

Patience, the season is a marathon and not a sprint. Players will go down with injury, matchups will change weekly. Not only do teams have to get in the playoffs but being the top seed helps and this is the time of year that can affect the end of the season if they lose too many games. Not having home field advantage in the playoffs forces teams to play at places like Green Bay in January and Philly regardless of the weather. The building blocks we put down now by stacking up wins will determine our post season.
As usual, you're a voice of reason.

I feel the same way. No, it's not perfect (is it ever?) and there is plenty of room for improvement. But it doesn't take a lot of football acumen to see that the O-line is improved. I'm glad that PFF stats for each player bear it out.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

As usual, I am the resident jinx.

Just when I talk up the O-line, they go out and stink against the Saints. I'm actually kind of relieved that Cousins got out of the game without getting hurt. Dude got bounced like a pinball this game. The running game struggled, too. Of course, the Saints' front 7 are really good, but this was still a poor performance by the O-line.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:04 am As usual, I am the resident jinx.

Just when I talk up the O-line, they go out and stink against the Saints. I'm actually kind of relieved that Cousins got out of the game without getting hurt. Dude got bounced like a pinball this game. The running game struggled, too. Of course, the Saints' front 7 are really good, but this was still a poor performance by the O-line.

Kirk was pressured less this past week than any other week this season, 9th least among QBs in week 4. He was also only hit 3 times (the 3 sacks), which is what he was averaging over the first 3 weeks.

However, the Saints top pass rusher had less pressures than 4 of the Vikings' pass rushers going into the game. By the end of the game only Z was better than Davenport in total pressures, while Cam Jordan increased his pressures from 3 to 9.

So while the numbers indicate it was a good game by the Oline, they made the Saints front 7 look better than they have all season.