53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: 53 Man Roster --predictions and developments

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:35 pm Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
Source says #Vikings have waived WR Dan Chisena. Looks like they'll have five wide receivers on 53 at end of day.

Wondering if we may pick up Tyler Johnson, after the bucs cut him. Gophers standout.

Also heard rumors we are in talks with trading for Jalen Reagor of the Ealges, likely due to his PR abilities mostly.
The pick before JJ. Heh.

Johnson could be a nice add if they are gonna add someone to the wr room. Reagor I don't like, however it's a biased opinion due to college. Haha.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:33 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 pm

Can't imagine we'd get more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him.
I think we can do better than that. How about a player instead of a draft pick?
He just doesn't have any value. He is a career backup/third string RB. I hope he makes a lot of money in the NFL, but he will not have a meaningful pro football career.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

https://www.vikings.com/news/roster-mov ... jured-2022
The Vikings on Tuesday announced two trades — and multiple roster moves — to narrow the team to the NFL-maximum of 53 players.

Minnesota traded offensive lineman Jesse Davis to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

The Vikings also traded a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Houston Texans to acquire defensive lineman Ross Blacklock, who was a second-round pick in 2020, and a 2023 seventh-round selection.
We seem to be shedding some contracts, potentially in order to make a move? Watts and Jesse Davis moves help the cap.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:22 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm

You mean Mannion right? The guy thats been a pile of poo since he got here. I bet Mond makes the ps and Mannion's NFL time id done. And thanks to Ricky, this team is way behind the 8 ball starting out with the new management.
IMO they are both terrible, but at least Mond has a bit of upside, is young, and still has the potential to 'figure it out'. He flashes the arm talent, but is still slow in processing information.

But the rumor is that Mannion is the one more likely to be brought to the PS. This is based on the fact that after the Mullens trade, Mond wasn't even taking snaps in practice in the lead up to the Broncos game. Also, Mannion knows the offense well so if Kirk were to get hurt during the first few weeks, he'd be the more likely sub than Mullens, who is still learning our system.
Really strange to give up on a young QB that quickly. Mannion did zero the entire preseason. At least Mond completed a few deep passes and scored a few TDs and has some upside.

Will be interesting to see who picks up Mond.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:00 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:33 pm
I think we can do better than that. How about a player instead of a draft pick?
He just doesn't have any value. He is a career backup/third string RB. I hope he makes a lot of money in the NFL, but he will not have a meaningful pro football career.
He's been a backup only because we have Cook. He's an elite backup RB and would start for half the teams in the NFL.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

As soon as we got down to 5WRs my mind got thinking Tyler Johnson. He's been cut so I guess he hasn't been as good as I expected him to be.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pretty good summary by Ragatz
Will Ragatz
@WillRagatz
·
7m
So, the #Vikings:

- Waived Armon Watts, traded for Ross Blacklock, saving $1.2M
- Traded Jesse Davis, saving $1.5M
- Waived QBs Mond, Mannion
- Kept 5 RB, 5 WRs, 3 TE, 10 OL
- Chose Troy Dye over Blake Lynch
- Kept Luiji Vilain on the 53
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:35 pm As soon as we got down to 5WRs my mind got thinking Tyler Johnson. He's been cut so I guess he hasn't been as good as I expected him to be.
You and me both. I thought he was a lock to be at least a quality 2, but he just couldn't get separation consistently in the pros like he could at Minnesota.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

This is a great link about the cuts and why. A little blurb on each one.
https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/202 ... man-roster
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Really nice trading Jesse Davis so we didn't have to keep him or eat his contract.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm surprised about Otomewo and V Lowe making the 53 and Dye sticking around. I hope Kwesi knows what he's doing waiving Watts and trading for Blacklock who's been a total bust so far. However there's some big savings moving on from Watts. Most people think were getting money together for a significant signing.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:28 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:00 pm

He's been a backup only because we have Cook. He's an elite backup RB and would start for half the teams in the NFL.
And hopefully will. I think we could even get a 3rd, but maybe a 4th. PLus, I am looking forward to seeing Chandler. :govikes:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Wonder who the new WR is.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm
VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:47 pm

I hope Mond gets picked up by another team, Mond is garbage
You mean Mannion right? The guy thats been a pile of poo since he got here. I bet Mond makes the ps and Mannion's NFL time id done. And thanks to Ricky, this team is way behind the 8 ball starting out with the new management.
No, Mond
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:32 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm
The #Vikings are cutting QB Sean Mannion after doing so with Kellen Mond, source said. Mannion could return on the practice squad.
1:48 PM · Aug 30, 2022·TweetDeck Web App Ian Rapoport
Mannion goes to the practice squad? Why?

:wallbang:
I was corrected recently for referring to Mannion as Kirks personal assistant. I admitted that my opinion might be wrong but made the point that the way the Vikings keep Mannion around make for bad optics even if I’m wrong.

Well, here we go again if we sign him to the practice squad. What are we supposed to think if they bring him back again?