Draft Day Question #3

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hypothetically, if we HAVE to pick at 12 and these 3 players are on the board, who do you take?

CB- Trent McDuffie
6%
DT- Jordan Davis
41%
S- Kyle Hamilton
53%

Total votes: 17

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Draft Day Question #3

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:00 pm I like the mock draft database. Crunches the numbers from 100 mocks and gives the most highly projected results.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... draft-2022

The most commonly mocked player to the Vikings is Trent McDuffie.

That said McDuffie is definitely not who I want.
Something is off, maybe I missed him but I don’t see Stingley, at all. :? Also no Jameson Williams crazy. Imagine getting Williams at 12 and stingley at 46 :lol: nice pipe dream
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:34 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:00 pm I like the mock draft database. Crunches the numbers from 100 mocks and gives the most highly projected results.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mo ... draft-2022

The most commonly mocked player to the Vikings is Trent McDuffie.

That said McDuffie is definitely not who I want.
Something is off, maybe I missed him but I don’t see Stingley, at all. :? Also no Jameson Williams crazy. Imagine getting Williams at 12 and stingley at 46 :lol: nice pipe dream
You're not supposed to see Stingley at all. It went with the player most commonly picked by the consensus for each team. Stingley was not the most commonly picked player for any team. Same with Williams and one other player.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

IIsweet wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:04 am Completely agree with Char'Vike.
Hamilton is the next difference maker at Safety. I think that he immediately starts with Harry. I would be very happy with this pick at 12.
However, I am a huge believer in interior pressure. Thus Jordan Davis is still my favorite here. 6'6" 340 and fast. How do you stop that ??? His burst demands double teams. There has never been a player with that size and burst. My other favorite is Devote Wyatt due to his measurements and speed that parallel Aaron Donald.

I also have 1 sleeper pick that would get me so excited that I would probably buy season tickets while living in Florida. What if we heard..

With the 12th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select .... Jameson Williams... Wide Receiver... Alabama !!!!

That would set the NFC world on fire. With JJ, Thielen, and Jameson... Holy smokes !!!

Imagine Dalvin Cook running with the ball in space. Imagine having an open WR everywhere. This pick would make the "draft gurus" go absolutely nuts !!!
I sure hope not, Osborn did pretty well so Vikings do not need another wide receiver
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:08 am
Hamilton is the next difference maker at Safety. I think that he immediately starts with Harry. I would be very happy with this pick at 12.
However, I am a huge believer in interior pressure. Thus Jordan Davis is still my favorite here. 6'6" 340 and fast. How do you stop that ??? His burst demands double teams. There has never been a player with that size and burst. My other favorite is Devote Wyatt due to his measurements and speed that parallel Aaron Donald.

I also have 1 sleeper pick that would get me so excited that I would probably buy season tickets while living in Florida. What if we heard..

With the 12th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select .... Jameson Williams... Wide Receiver... Alabama !!!!

That would set the NFC world on fire. With JJ, Thielen, and Jameson... Holy smokes !!!

Imagine Dalvin Cook running with the ball in space. Imagine having an open WR everywhere. This pick would make the "draft gurus" go absolutely nuts !!!
I sure hope not, Osborn did pretty well so Vikings do not need another wide receiver
Seriously ??? Thielen is 32 years old. Osborn did well, but is not an elite WR. You think we scare any team with him on the field ?? He is just nowhere near the talent of Jameson. Teams try to lock down JJ and single cover Osborn and Thielen. With Jameson, that will not be possible as he is too fast and an elite route runner. Maybe one of the best deep ball threats to come out of college since ??? Jameson, had he not gotten hurt at end of season in bowl game, probably was drafted top 4 players.
Adding Jameson Williams gives us an incredible group on the field. Think Moss, Carter, Reed. Potentially better though !! Plus Cook. Add a healthy Irv Smith. That offense can be ridiculous.
I am still on the Jordan Davis train, but this option flat out has me excited.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:51 pm
allday1991 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:34 pm

You're not supposed to see Stingley at all. It went with the player most commonly picked by the consensus for each team. Stingley was not the most commonly picked player for any team. Same with Williams and one other player.

Ahh makes sense, are you able to see who they have listed as second and third? It would be nice to know how ahead McDuffie is from second. Edit, found it, seems like Booth is favoured second after McDuffie very interesting seems like they think we are a lock for a corner.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:18 am

Seriously ??? Thielen is 32 years old. Osborn did well, but is not an elite WR. You think we scare any team with him on the field ?? He is just nowhere near the talent of Jameson. Teams try to lock down JJ and single cover Osborn and Thielen. With Jameson, that will not be possible as he is too fast and an elite route runner. Maybe one of the best deep ball threats to come out of college since ??? Jameson, had he not gotten hurt at end of season in bowl game, probably was drafted top 4 players.
Adding Jameson Williams gives us an incredible group on the field. Think Moss, Carter, Reed. Potentially better though !! Plus Cook. Add a healthy Irv Smith. That offense can be ridiculous.
I am still on the Jordan Davis train, but this option flat out has me excited.
Not better than Moss, Carter, Reed. Moss and Carter are two of the top 5-10 WRs ever. Moss probably 2nd best all time behind Rice.

However, I would have no problem at all with us drafting Williams or Garrett Wilson. Any other WR I don't think so.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:28 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:51 pm

Ahh makes sense, are you able to see who they have listed as second and third? It would be nice to know how ahead McDuffie is from second. Edit, found it, seems like Booth is favoured second after McDuffie very interesting seems like they think we are a lock for a corner.
Yeah it's what I call group think. Once it's declared that we need a CB all the pundits pick a CB for us.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 am
Texas Vike wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:48 pm Watching some of Hamilton's highlights. The kid's a baller. My only concern is that we have two solid safeties, so how would we get him on the field?
Smith is 33 and is averaging 2 highest cap hit in the NFL according to OTC. How long can that go on? We can just say times up thanks for the memories and move along. The other guy is a converted CB who played very little so I'm not sure how that is solid. It's more hopeful. For Smith Pro Football Focus grades him at 79.1, which is the 10th-best for a safety in the NFL. It might not be the 92.3 grade from 2017. That's a huge slide. Not the same player anymore. I realize fans like to see players stay forever but that can't happen with the cap unless they take a big time drop and can still play. Hamilton could be BPA when we pick.
I think it is fair to say that Smith has lost a step and that finding his replacement now makes sense. It's just that we are by far worse off at the CB position, which is also undoubtedly a more important position than safety. Even so, I like Hamilton at 12.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:05 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 am
Smith is 33 and is averaging 2 highest cap hit in the NFL according to OTC. How long can that go on? We can just say times up thanks for the memories and move along. The other guy is a converted CB who played very little so I'm not sure how that is solid. It's more hopeful. For Smith Pro Football Focus grades him at 79.1, which is the 10th-best for a safety in the NFL. It might not be the 92.3 grade from 2017. That's a huge slide. Not the same player anymore. I realize fans like to see players stay forever but that can't happen with the cap unless they take a big time drop and can still play. Hamilton could be BPA when we pick.
I think it is fair to say that Smith has lost a step and that finding his replacement now makes sense. It's just that we are by far worse off at the CB position, which is also undoubtedly a more important position than safety. Even so, I like Hamilton at 12.
CB is a weaker position group for us but there won't be a CB available at 12 that is close to Hamilton ability. Hamilton is by far the best safety in this class. If the top CB drops to us then yes that needs to be the pick. He won't drop that far. Hamilton could because the position isn't as important as a top cover guy. He could even go top 10. It wouldn't surprise me at all. The bottom line people can't even do mocks in this years draft. Guys are all over the board. Nobody is sure who the first pick will be. Having no QBs has shaken this up big time. For us it would be nice in those two top QBs go top 5. That will drop some players. I seen a mock that had the Lions taking Willis at pick 2. Sounds odd but you never know with QBs.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We have no speed at WR. The best of the draft group could be sitting there at 12 and they have speed. Olave is a game breaker. He can take a hitch to the house. You won't see safeties coming up which helps every player. Osborn doesn't have game breaker talent.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:04 pm

We have no speed at WR. The best of the draft group could be sitting there at 12 and they have speed. Olave is a game breaker. He can take a hitch to the house. You won't see safeties coming up which helps every player. Osborn doesn't have game breaker talent.
Dang, charcoal is inside my head saying it for me. Completely agree. Jameson, Wilson, are the 2 that I want.
I would also be thrilled with DT Jordan Davis at 12 and WR Alec Pierce at 46. That kid is brilliant, has great size, speed, and hands.