Cousins Extended

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Cousins Extended

Post by Angels Wings »

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Vikings are signing Pro Bowl QB Kirk Cousins to a one-year, $35 million fully guaranteed extension that puts him under contract through 2023, per sources.

Cousins gets a raise to $40 million in 2022, $55 million payable by next March and a no-trade clause.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Cousins Extended

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Atrocious, gutless decision. Lets see how O'Connell and Cousins get along since Cousins is said to have angled for him here and its just such a love fest with an offensive-minded wiz kid who will "unlock Cousins" and "help him take the next step."
If the team wins a playoff game next year, I'll eat my shoes. This is a disaster.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This is exactly why this team hasn't seen a Super Bowl in 60 years. Another two seasons of 9-8 here we come.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Blah. I said before the coaching staff was hired...I wanted to see a new coaches assessment of Cousins. I guess need to trust KOC's vision for the offense and the front office's cap plan. *sigh*

Salary is 30M for 2023, with the void years the athletic says below it reduces the cap hit next season. I guess that's positive. After finding cap details, actually helps the team

-----
Vikings, Kirk Cousins agree to one-year, $35 million extension: Source

By Chad Graff and Ben Standig

March 13, 2022Updated 7:30 PM CDT

22 Comments

Vikings, Kirk Cousins agree to one-year, $35 million extension: Source. Cousins' extension includes a no-trade clause, sources tell The Athletic, and keeps him with Minnesota through 2023.

The Minnesota Vikings and quarterback Kirk Cousins have agreed to a one-year extension, his agent Mike McCartney announced Sunday. The extension is worth $35 million and includes a no-trade clause, sources tell The Athletic.

The deal keeps Cousins with the team through 2023 and has two void years added to lower his salary cap hit, per a source. He will earn $40 million in 2022 and $30 million in 2023.

Last month, new coach Kevin O'Connell said that he's excited to coach Cousins and build his systems around the QB. The Vikings had received trade interest in Cousins prior to O'Connell's comments.

In four seasons with Minnesota, Cousins has thrown for 16,387 yards with 124 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. He led the Vikings to a playoff appearance in 2019, his second season with the team.
-----
edit: cap # from schefter:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Vikings gave Kirk Cousins a one-year, fully-guaranteed $35 million extension, per source. He will make $40 million this year and $30 million next. Deal has two voidable years in it to lower his cap number this year to $31.25M. $15M of deal will be paid by this time next year.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
58m
Replying to
@AdamSchefter
Correction: $50M of deal will be paid by this time next year, not $15M.
Last edited by makila on Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Well just like that my mock was busted lol. But I dont hate it. I had us either extending him or trading him in my mock. Went with trading him but this was the other option. He will count for 31 mill vs. the cap which is around the 8th ranked cap hit among QBs. I honestly want to see him under a non-Mike Zimmer offense. Sure some will say "he had that in Washington". Well I guess, but his offensive talent in Washington was nowhere near the offensive talent here. It wasnt even comparable.

I will say, they need to find a way to improve this defense. Bringing Hunter back will be key. And this draft is loaded defensively and I expect them to go defensive heavy early on. If they can manage to get this defense into the 15-18 range, this is a playoff team IMO.

This extension gives Cousins a test run under KOC and company. I'd like to see it, others wont but that's just me. SKOL
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Is anyone really surprised? I am fine with it, he has been very good this year, it is the awful defense and offensive line that was the main problem and Cousins took a $20 million paycut from $35 million to $15 million which helps
Last edited by VikingsFan84 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

If we never extended him, we could have been done with him before last season and wouldn't have been in a position to extend him for another season. We're 3 years behind on a necessary rebuild. We could have had a new GM, HC and quarterback for an entire season already. That's what drives me crazy with this Cousins extension of the extension and extending Spielman and Zimmer off that wild card game. It genuinely put this franchise 3+ years behind where it should be taking into account that void year stuff which is relief now for pain later. I hate it. I cannot tell you how much I hate this.

:wallbang: :soap
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Oh Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I am man enough to say it.

I. Was. Wrong.

Did not see this coming. Not at all. But now I’m seeing images of KOC with his signed Kirk Cousins Redskins jersey in a shadow box (wait … I can’t say the “R” word, can I?), complete with a note calling KOC the best coach ever in the whole wide world. I guess KOC wasn’t kidding. He really does like Kirk.

What stuns me is that Cousins actually agreed to a somewhat team-friendly deal … although with another fully guaranteed contract.

OK Mr. O’Connell. Now we’re gonna see just how much of a quarterback whisperer you are.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:29 pm I am man enough to say it.

I. Was. Wrong.

Did not see this coming. Not at all. But now I’m seeing images of KOC with his signed Kirk Cousins Redskins jersey in a shadow box (wait … I can’t say the “R” word, can I?), complete with a note calling KOC the best coach ever in the whole wide world. I guess KOC wasn’t kidding. He really does like Kirk.

What stuns me is that Cousins actually agreed to a somewhat team-friendly deal … although with another fully guaranteed contract.

OK Mr. O’Connell. Now we’re gonna see just how much of a quarterback whisperer you are.
I still remain unconvinced that Mark Wilf, Zygi Wilf, or Kwesi know what the hell they are doing when it comes to football.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Might as well trade Danielle Hunter and go for the best o-line guy you can get to replace Udoh/Cole and try to keep Conklin and win 41-38 every week.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think it was a smart move. If our new GM/HC felt Cousins sucks he would be out of here. They have the power and fresh eyes. Against the Packers last year Cousins beat them 34-31. Without him we got our a$$ kicked 37-10. The D sucked in both games but Cousins showed he could get some points on the board.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Bummer. Oh well. Life goes on.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I. Was. Wrong.

I'm sure it's not your first and probably not your last to be wrong. The NFL is more free flowing than it's ever been. I think it's good for the fans, the entertainment value and players. I think this was the right move by our GM/HC. At least we can compete.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

I. Was. Wrong.

Nothing team friendly about this deal. It is another Cousins special that is lose lose for the franchise. If he plays well on it, which he won't, he gets even more money in 2023. If he plays poorly or the same as he has the past 4 seasons, we will have wasted another 35 million on him.

Lose-lose.

KAM has now failed in his first two big moves as GM and is off to a really rough start. Dude better nail the draft or he might not make it 3 years.