The perfect Kirk Cousins solution

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

The perfect Kirk Cousins solution

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's pretty clear that Mike Zimmer is about to coach his last 5 games as Vikings coach. And there's a pretty good chance that Rick Spielman will be bringing a box to work the day after the season.

However, that still leaves the situation with Kirk D. Cousins.

Say what you want ... he's clutch, he's not clutch. His stats are hollow, his stats are meaningful. He's a respected leader, his teammates laugh at him behind his back. Whatever. Forget that for a moment. Who Kirk Cousins is or isn't as a player isn't the issue going forward.

The issue is that Kirk D. has one more year left on his contract, when he will command a significant portion of the GDP with his cap hit of $45 million. So the question becomes WHAT DO THE VIKINGS DO ABOUT KIRK D.?

I believe I have the solution.

Find a way to send Kirk Cousins to Detroit!

Think about it. Kirk D. is from Holland, Michigan, home of the Reformed Church in America and just 180 miles from Detroit. Just a 3-hour minivan ride (well, maybe 4 hours for Kirk, who surely drives below the speed limit). He could play for the team he dreamed of as a boy. He could GO HOME to Michigan for the twilight of his career. Heck, he might even buy a house!

After all, did you see him after the game yesterday? He was the first one to congratulate as many Lions as he possibly could. Such a sportsman. Such a gentlemen.

Such a Lion.

I don't care how you do it, Vikings. Just do it. Trade him for draft picks. After all, the Lions have tons of 'em, plus they're gonna have the #1 pick in the entire draft. Plus, if you trade him, it's only $10 million in dead cap for one season. That's nothing. And you know what else? The Lions are idiots. They'd surely see Kirk Cousins as a massive upgrade over Jared Goff. They did 12 years of Matthew Stafford. They're accustomed to gaudy stats. If they're gonna lose, why not do it with 350 yards passing? I'm telling you, the Vikings could rob the Lions blind.

Come on, Vikings. Use your brains. Put on your marketing hats. You can do this!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The perfect Kirk Cousins solution

Post by StumpHunter »

If they had a pick outside the top 10 they might do it, but I think they just go with a QB in the draft.

The current Panther's regime has no idea what they are doing at QB and are currently on the hook to pay Sam Darnold 19 million next year unless they can trade him, and no one will make that trade unless they are getting something in return. I don't want Darnold as my QB any more than I want Cousins, but I would take him, a 1st round pick + 16 million in extra cap space for Cousins.

Go into 2022 with Darnold and Mond competing for the starting job and if Mond works out, great, you have your starter for years to come. If not, you are looking at drafting really high in 2023 and should have a stronger team to put around a young rookie after freeing up a lot of cap and 2 1st round picks in 2022.

This assumes the Panthers GM survives the season of course.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

If you can find a trade partner for Kirk that gives you a 1st rounder and takes his salary then take it immediately. Whatever your feelings about Cousins I think it's clear that a 33 (will be 34 by start of next season, likely 35 or 36 by the time the Vikings have a "rebuilt" roster/staff) isn't the guy you build a team around. He's got the kind of contract that reflects one of the players your team is built around and he's just not that guy anymore if he ever was.

Ultimately I think the new coach has to decide. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody wanted Cousins for a 1st and his salary. If that's the case they may draft a rookie QB and let Cousins play out the remainder of his contract.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:12 pm If they had a pick outside the top 10 they might do it, but I think they just go with a QB in the draft.

The current Panther's regime has no idea what they are doing at QB and are currently on the hook to pay Sam Darnold 19 million next year unless they can trade him, and no one will make that trade unless they are getting something in return. I don't want Darnold as my QB any more than I want Cousins, but I would take him, a 1st round pick + 16 million in extra cap space for Cousins.

Go into 2022 with Darnold and Mond competing for the starting job and if Mond works out, great, you have your starter for years to come. If not, you are looking at drafting really high in 2023 and should have a stronger team to put around a young rookie after freeing up a lot of cap and 2 1st round picks in 2022.

Ah, but the Lions DO have a pick outside the top 10. They get the Rams' first-round picks in both 2022 and 2023.

Not only that, are Matt Corral, Kenny Pickett, Sam Howell, Carson Strong or others really worthy of the No. 1 pick? It's a down year for QBs. Experts are saying MAYBE 3 QBs go in the first. And nobody is mocking a QB with the No. 1 overall pick. Now 2023? That's a different story, with Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud coming out. Of course, everybody is going to be after those guys.

I see your point with the Panthers. I just don't really want Sam Darnold on the Vikings. What I saw in Darnold when he played the Vikings was just scary. Now if there were some way to guarantee a shot at Young or Stroud in 2023, I would swallow hard and go with Darnold or Mond in 2022. But you know, the fact that we hear absolutely NOTHING about Kellen Mond at this point in the season is a red flag to me.

Anyway, it's not a bad topic of discussion ... how to deal with the Cousins situation. The Vikings either need to find a way to jettison Cousins before next season or extend him. Cuz you can't just let him walk after 2022 for nothing. He's got value to somebody.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Why would the Lions want the loser of that battle. We would have to give them picks. But Kirk did look happy after the loss. I'm sure he thanked our D coordinator also for the relaxed coverage and no pressure during that last drive.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:29 pm It's pretty clear that Mike Zimmer is about to coach his last 5 games as Vikings coach. And there's a pretty good chance that Rick Spielman will be bringing a box to work the day after the season.

Say what you want ... he's clutch, he's not clutch. His stats are hollow, his stats are meaningful. He's a respected leader, his teammates laugh at him behind his back. Whatever. Forget that for a moment. Who Kirk Cousins is or isn't as a player isn't the issue going forward.

The issue is that Kirk D. has one more year left on his contract, when he will command a significant portion of the GDP with his cap hit of $45 million. So the question becomes WHAT DO THE VIKINGS DO ABOUT KIRK D.?

Think about it. Kirk D. is from Holland, Michigan, home of the Reformed Church in America and just 180 miles from Detroit. Just a 3-hour minivan ride (well, maybe 4 hours for Kirk, who surely drives below the speed limit). He could play for the team he dreamed of as a boy. He could GO HOME to Michigan for the twilight of his career. Heck, he might even buy a house!

After all, did you see him after the game yesterday? He was the first one to congratulate as many Lions as he possibly could. Such a sportsman. Such a gentlemen.

Such a Lion.

I don't care how you do it, Vikings. Just do it. Trade him for draft picks. After all, the Lions have tons of 'em, plus they're gonna have the #1 pick in the entire draft. Plus, if you trade him, it's only $10 million in dead cap for one season. That's nothing. And you know what else? The Lions are idiots. They'd surely see Kirk Cousins as a massive upgrade over Jared Goff. They did 12 years of Matthew Stafford. They're accustomed to gaudy stats. If they're gonna lose, why not do it with 350 yards passing? I'm telling you, the Vikings could rob the Lions blind.

Who says it is clear that Zimmer is getting fired? No team is going to want Cousins’ contract and Vikings are not going to take a 45 million cap hit so stop dreaming and accept that Cousins will be here next year
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Just saw that Brady is out in Carolina. Not a good sign for management sticking around there.

One other thing to consider, Rodgers, Wilson and Watson might all be available via trade next season. Gonna be a buyer's market for QBs unfortunately. Should have moved him last year.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:29 pm It's pretty clear that Mike Zimmer is about to coach his last 5 games as Vikings coach. And there's a pretty good chance that Rick Spielman will be bringing a box to work the day after the season.

Such a Lion.

Who says it is clear that Zimmer is getting fired? No team is going to want Cousins’ contract and Vikings are not going to take a 45 million cap hit so stop dreaming and accept that Cousins will be here next year
I say it's clear. Zimmer will be fired. A month ago, Mike Zimmer had the highest Vegas odds of being the first coach fired at the end of the season at 38.5% He was +160. It HAS to be higher now that his team has biffed away two straight games, especially with the debacle at Detroit. Say what you want, but the chances of Zimmer being around in 2022 are very small.

By the way, if Cousins is going to be here, then the Vikings ARE taking a $45 million cap hit. So you're contradicting yourself. As for trading him, you're only trading $35 million, which is his salary next year. The rest is prorated bonus. That's still a lot, but if a team thinks he can make a difference, I guarantee you they'll listen.

As it stands now, the Vikings will have the 10th pick in the draft. Keep playing like yesterday, and it'll be higher — we're one game out of being in the top 5. That has value. Lots of value. There are ways to get this done. StumpHunter outlined one way. I'm not sure I'd want Sam Darnold on the team, but it can be done.

Or we can do it your way. Delay the rebuild a year while we pay Cousins a quarter of the team's cap space and REALLY tank. Come to think of it, we might as well hang on to all the other overpaid old guys so we can go 0-17 and grab Bryce Young. Brilliant.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:39 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:12 pm If they had a pick outside the top 10 they might do it, but I think they just go with a QB in the draft.

Ah, but the Lions DO have a pick outside the top 10. They get the Rams' first-round picks in both 2022 and 2023.

Not only that, are Matt Corral, Kenny Pickett, Sam Howell, Carson Strong or others really worthy of the No. 1 pick? It's a down year for QBs. Experts are saying MAYBE 3 QBs go in the first. And nobody is mocking a QB with the No. 1 overall pick. Now 2023? That's a different story, with Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud coming out. Of course, everybody is going to be after those guys.

I see your point with the Panthers. I just don't really want Sam Darnold on the Vikings. What I saw in Darnold when he played the Vikings was just scary. Now if there were some way to guarantee a shot at Young or Stroud in 2023, I would swallow hard and go with Darnold or Mond in 2022. But you know, the fact that we hear absolutely NOTHING about Kellen Mond at this point in the season is a red flag to me.

Anyway, it's not a bad topic of discussion ... how to deal with the Cousins situation. The Vikings either need to find a way to jettison Cousins before next season or extend him. Cuz you can't just let him walk after 2022 for nothing. He's got value to somebody.
There is nothing in the draft coming up for immediate result. People need to forget about Mond and next year. He's a 3rd string developmental guy who will be lucky to claim the backup spot next year. The Saints need a QB. The Broncos need a QB and it goes on. Maybe no team wants him.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:04 pm Just saw that Brady is out in Carolina. Not a good sign for management sticking around there.

One other thing to consider, Rodgers, Wilson and Watson might all be available via trade next season. Gonna be a buyer's market for QBs unfortunately. Should have moved him last year.
Interesting, isn't it?

Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins are from the same draft class. Quarterback-needy teams would give up a king's ransom for Wilson. Meanwhile, we've got the most overpaid quarterback on the planet.

Yep. Shoulda moved Cousins last year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:39 pm

There is nothing in the draft coming up for immediate result. People need to forget about Mond and next year. He's a 3rd string developmental guy who will be lucky to claim the backup spot next year. The Saints need a QB. The Broncos need a QB and it goes on. Maybe no team wants him.
I like how you're at least naming some possibilities. New Orleans is an interesting one. With the strong defense Nola has, Sean Payton could really use a competent quarterback.

And yeah, Kirk's contract for next year would cost $35 million to whoever took him. But they could restructure his deal just as easily as we could. In fact, I'd guess New Orleans would HAVE to restructure, given their cap situation.

Of course, I'd bet New Orleans will be all-in on Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers if they become available. But if not, or if the Saints miss out on Rodgers or Wilson, they might bite on Cousins.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RandyMoss84
All Pro Elite Player

Post by RandyMoss84 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:05 pm
RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm

I say it's clear. Zimmer will be fired. A month ago, Mike Zimmer had the highest Vegas odds of being the first coach fired at the end of the season at 38.5% He was +160. It HAS to be higher now that his team has biffed away two straight games, especially with the debacle at Detroit. Say what you want, but the chances of Zimmer being around in 2023 are very small.

By the way, if Cousins is going to be here, then the Vikings ARE taking a $45 million cap hit. So you're contradicting yourself. As for trading him, you're only trading $35 million, which is his salary next year. The rest is prorated bonus. That's still a lot, but if a team thinks he can make a difference, I guarantee you they'll listen.

As it stands now, the Vikings will have the 10th pick in the draft. Keep playing like yesterday, and it'll be higher — we're one game out of being in the top 5. That has value. Lots of value. There are ways to get this done. StumpHunter outlined one way. I'm not sure I'd want Sam Darnold on the team, but it can be done.

Or we can do it your way. Delay the rebuild a year while we pay Cousins a quarter of the team's cap space and REALLY tank. Come to think of it, we might as well hang on to all the other overpaid old guys so we can go 0-17 and grab Bryce Young. Brilliant.
2023? You mean 2022 and no team is going to take Cousins’ expensive contract with 1 year left
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm
I like how you're at least naming some possibilities. New Orleans is an interesting one. With the strong defense Nola has, Sean Payton could really use a competent quarterback.

And yeah, Kirk's contract for next year would cost $35 million to whoever took him. But they could restructure his deal just as easily as we could. In fact, I'd guess New Orleans would HAVE to restructure, given their cap situation.

Of course, I'd bet New Orleans will be all-in on Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers if they become available. But if not, or if the Saints miss out on Rodgers or Wilson, they might bite on Cousins.
I can see Wilson in NO. That's a great match, actually. They'd be dangerous. I can't for the life of me imagine Mr. Pizza Ranch driving his minivan into the Big Easy though. His puckered up style just doesn't jibe with that team or that city, IMO.

I like your initial idea, honestly, even though it seems unlikely to come to fruition.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RandyMoss84 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:05 pm
I say it's clear. Zimmer will be fired. A month ago, Mike Zimmer had the highest Vegas odds of being the first coach fired at the end of the season at 38.5% He was +160. It HAS to be higher now that his team has biffed away two straight games, especially with the debacle at Detroit. Say what you want, but the chances of Zimmer being around in 2023 are very small.

2023? You mean 2022 and no team is going to take Cousins’ expensive contract with 1 year left
Corrected. It now says 2022.

We'll see about Cousins. The team has to make an attempt ... unless they plan on keeping him past 2022. He'll represent nearly a quarter of the cap hit if they keep him at $45 million. To keep him at that price and then let him walk would be insane. If they're going to keep him, then they probably will have to restructure him ... again. Meaning two years from now, we'll be in the same bind. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of these guys kicking the Cousins can down the road.

A lot will depend on who the coach and GM are. If it's Zimmer and Spielman, which I see as highly unlikely, then all bets are off (including whether I'll even pay attention to the Vikings in 2022). If it's another coach or another coach and GM, then there's no telling what might happen. Somebody else might have a completely different idea on what to do with Cousins. A new GM would almost undoubtedly come from another organization. That person would have different connections, different relationships.

Look, you don't know what's going to happen, and neither do I. So if you don't want to participate in the "what can we do with Cousins" scenario, that's cool. Don't participate. But you don't need to keep saying it'll never happen. Heard you the first time. Thanks.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:41 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm

I can see Wilson in NO. That's a great match, actually. They'd be dangerous. I can't for the life of me imagine Mr. Pizza Ranch driving his minivan into the Big Easy though. His puckered up style just doesn't jibe with that team or that city, IMO.

I like your initial idea, honestly, even though it seems unlikely to come to fruition.
That would suuuuuuuck. New Orleans would be dangerous with even competent QB play. Give Sean Payton another HOF QB with that roster? It would be pretty much unfair.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.