Kyle Rudolph and Vikings break off contract talks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Kyle Rudolph and Vikings break off contract talks

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings have broken off extension talks with TE Kyle Rudolph.
Rudolph and the Vikings had been working toward an extension but have reportedly reached an impasse. After selecting LSU's Irv Smith 50th overall in last month's draft, Rudolph's days in Minnesota could be numbered. Rapoport confirmed the long-time Viking is already drawing trade interest. The eight-year vet tallied 64 catches last season, which ranked seventh in the league among tight ends. He's due $7.5 million in 2019, the final year of his current contract.
This is interesting. I know they still need to sign Bradbury and one or two others. The only way this could happen is if we saved some money along the way. I figured Rudy would take a pay cut but clearly we offered him much less than he wanted. This is going to get interesting. I would be shocked if he ended up anywhere other than the Patriots.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Kyle Rudolph and Vikings break off contract talks

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:19 pm
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings have broken off extension talks with TE Kyle Rudolph.
Rudolph and the Vikings had been working toward an extension but have reportedly reached an impasse. After selecting LSU's Irv Smith 50th overall in last month's draft, Rudolph's days in Minnesota could be numbered. Rapoport confirmed the long-time Viking is already drawing trade interest. The eight-year vet tallied 64 catches last season, which ranked seventh in the league among tight ends. He's due $7.5 million in 2019, the final year of his current contract.
This is interesting. I know they still need to sign Bradbury and one or two others. The only way this could happen is if we saved some money along the way. I figured Rudy would take a pay cut but clearly we offered him much less than he wanted. This is going to get interesting. I would be shocked if he ended up anywhere other than the Patriots.
I doubt they want to commit to him long term, which is understandably what he would want if he were going to agree to take less this year. A trade is probably ideal for both parties at this point.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The Vikings will miss his presence in the red zone next season if they don't find a big body receiver to replace him. It appears that is an area where Kyle has one up on Smith.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm The Vikings will miss his presence in the red zone next season if they don't find a big body receiver to replace him. It appears that is an area where Kyle has one up on Smith.
Maybe ... he had 4 TDs last year so not the biggest threat in the red zone ever.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm The Vikings will miss his presence in the red zone next season if they don't find a big body receiver to replace him. It appears that is an area where Kyle has one up on Smith.
Maybe ... he had 4 TDs last year so not the biggest threat in the red zone ever.
Having a RB who can get his pad level down will help in the redzone. Mattison is going to prove valuable.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This is not at all surprising. Rudolph has always been consistently good, but we've never seen a great season from him. I think the Vikings have reached the point where they feel that his current and projected cap numbers are no longer of fair value against his contribution on the field.

I would be hesitant to blame the Vikings immediately if Rudy walks or is cut. Part of the negotiation is Rudolph's perceived value . Another part is what the market might pay him. A third is what the Vikings can reasonably afford to pay. My sense is that the Vikings are taking a view similar to what I said above: "Look you are good player for us, but you are not an elite NFL tight end." Rudy probably thinks he can get more on the open market and is not willing to take a deal that would be as friendly to the Vikings as maybe they would prefer. Main point is it takes two to Tango on this and just because the article says the Vikings walked away, it is possible that Rudolph's demands were unreasonable and it forced this move. Vikings could also be low balling him. Given that they drafted a young guy to fill this role, they probably are.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Wow, didn't know that. 4 TDs is half of what he had in 2017. Might explain the 21st in the NFL TDs per RZ visit ranking.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

As long as he doesn't go to Green Bay.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:48 pm

As long as he doesn't go to Green Bay.
That's a good measure. I wouldn't be that upset if he went to GB. He's just not all that good.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

With all of that said, Rudolph has been very durable with the exception of his first few seasons.
He's also very reliable for catching, b in t has clearly slowed down. The Vikings have other TEs that I think could combine to make it not too big of a loss.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

More of a targeting factor. Seems like he and Kirk never built chemistry last season. Doesn't mean he doesn't still draw attention.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:47 pm

Wow, didn't know that. 4 TDs is half of what he had in 2017. Might explain the 21st in the NFL TDs per RZ visit ranking.
Or maybe teams game planned to take him away due to his 2017 numbers.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Pats just signed Ben Watson. They might not be in the market anymore despite Rudy being a better choice.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd like to keep him around for one more season.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I thought Kyle might not be around this year when the Vikes wasted a 2nd rd pick on Irv. I guess its ok to pick need when its Kubiak doing it LOL. So many people here cry about going BPA every pick, and when the Vikes go need (on almost all the picks, needs for Kubiaks new system) no one bats an eye or says a word.

Kyle didnt look very good last year, I doubt we miss him much if he does leave, but you never know. He will be missed more in the community at this point.