3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Don't know much about him but like the thought process of adding a power back to compliment Cook. Would have loved to get McGovern or McLaurin though..
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by YikesVikes »

A backup guard is more important
A 3rd WR is more important
Would have rather had Jaylon Fergerson
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This pick I don't like. We have Boone, Abdullah, and Ham. This seems like a wasted picj unless someone can change my mind.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 pm A backup guard is more important
A 3rd WR is not more important. Last year, would you say Latavius Murray was more important or our 3rd WR? We have a back that has yet to play 16 games and don't have much of a backup behind him. We have the best WR duo in football. Not saying a 3rd WR isn't important, but it's much easier to get away with who we have at WR vs getting away with a below average backup RB.

As for Ferguson, he has off the field issues. Him falling isn't a surprise
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 pm This pick I don't like. We have Boone, Abdullah, and Ham. This seems like a wasted picj unless someone can change my mind.
Ham is a FB. I'm not sure why he's involved with that group. Abdullah is a special teamer. Boone is the only factor here.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mattison shouldnt have been drafted in the 3rd. Hes an ok work horse with no chance of busting one open. Hes just blah, we could have gotten better with on of Rickys 7th rd picks.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:16 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 pm A backup guard is more important
A 3rd WR is not more important. Last year, would you say Latavius Murray was more important or our 3rd WR? We have a back that has yet to play 16 games and don't have much of a backup behind him. We have the best WR duo in football. Not saying a 3rd WR isn't important, but it's much easier to get away with who we have at WR vs getting away with a below average backup RB.

As for Ferguson, he has off the field issues. Him falling isn't a surprise
I would say 3rd WR is more important. As you point out teams (including us) are routinely in 3 WR sets. Our 3rd WR (aldrick) had 6 tds last season.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 pm Mattison shouldnt have been drafted in the 3rd. Hes an ok work horse with no chance of busting one open. Hes just blah, we could have gotten better with on of Rickys 7th rd picks.
I don't like the round or the player. I could see him in the 5th possibly 4th. 3rd is too high and we have other areas of need. Another OL would have been a better choice.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think we will see a lot more two tight end sets next year as opposed to 3 WR ones barring a release or trade of Rudolph which I hope doesn't happen.
mael·strom

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27 pm Mattison shouldnt have been drafted in the 3rd. Hes an ok work horse with no chance of busting one open. Hes just blah, we could have gotten better with on of Rickys 7th rd picks.
I don't like the round or the player. I could see him in the 5th possibly 4th. 3rd is too high and we have other areas of need. Another OL would have been a better choice.
Yeah, exactly. A lot had him picked to go, in the 5th. That would have been fine. I can think of 2 WRs that would have been so much better here, or at least where Rick made his first move of drafting down. Rick sees athletic fraks first (Mattison is NOT one of those) and quantity second. He got to wipe a name off his board, doesnt care it was 2 rounds too early. Drives me batty. I know you wanted Butler more then Irv, I would have been happy with that. But if they want a big freak at WR, go Metcalf. I mean come on.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 pm I think we will see a lot more two tight end sets next year as opposed to 3 WR ones barring a release or trade of Rudolph which I hope doesn't happen.
We just picked a TE at with a second pick, and you want to keep Kyle? Hes a great guy, but has been DECLINING as a TE. You are supposed to trade these guys (aka Griffen) before that happens.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:17 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 pm I think we will see a lot more two tight end sets next year as opposed to 3 WR ones barring a release or trade of Rudolph which I hope doesn't happen.
We just picked a TE at with a second pick, and you want to keep Kyle? Hes a great guy, but has been DECLINING as a TE. You are supposed to trade these guys (aka Griffen) before that happens.
I think Kyle still has some left in the tank and is a great leader and locker room presence. Also, I believe the opportunity will be there for both to get plenty of snaps.
mael·strom

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTG6wGGhLL0

For those that think Mattison is "slow" or "not a good athlete", watch again. The kid is a straight up baller. Runs hard, very shifty at the line, patient, reads the field and defenders well at the next level, and has a lot more speed than some think. He's got that game speed. This kid is going to be a good RB for us. Reminds me a lot of Cook or Devonta Freeman. I watched tape on him like a month ago (for fantasy purposes, I'm in multiple dynasty leagues where rookies are valuable) and I liked Mattison, Miles Sanders and Hill the best out of the guys I watched. This kid can play
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:17 am

I think Kyle still has some left in the tank and is a great leader and locker room presence. Also, I believe the opportunity will be there for both to get plenty of snaps.
Again, when you pick a TE in 2nd rd, he should be your main concern with getting snaps. We have Morgan and Conclin too. Kyle's salary would be so nice to wipe out. In fact its the only reason I can see us drafting Irv so soon.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Again, Metcalf is a media creation. Hence why he completely dropped off and fell multiple rounds. Still plenty of WRs we can pursue.
-Chazz Palminteri