3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 3rd Round Pick: RB Alexander Mattison

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:26 pm also can I point out him being outplayed by The talented wide receivers that Arizona has has nothing to do with the bums that we have collected. I know they are all fan favorites and BB is the second coming of Wes Walker but he had one catch all preseason. Hakeem would have been better for this team than Mattison
Again, Keesean Johnson was a 6th round pick and drastically out performed butler. Not just a little, drastically. Bisi Johnson is a 7th round pick and out performed butler. Butler had 1 catch for 6 yards this preseason, the coaching staff was not impressed and he had trouble catching the football. What makes you think he would be good for this team when he’s been outperformed by a 6th and 7th round pick. Call Bisi Johnson a bum all you want, he’s done way more than Butler has this preseason. If butler was as good as you claimed him to be, he would have done something or showed something. And he did practically nothing and showed that he struggles catching the football. Why are you bothering to argue that?!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 pm He averaged 3.6 yards per carry. Boone was playing against lesser talent but also had lesser talent blocking for him. it's a wash. the bottom line is he's faster to the whole he's faster through the whole he's runs just as hard and as head bigger runs and looked way more explosive. now whether you think he's better or not you can't dismiss the fact that he's out played him.
There is absolutely no fact that Boone outplayed Mattison. It seems to me that you are desperate to save face regarding your stance that we should have drafted Butler. It is a fact that Boone got more yards in preseason games at a higher YPC than Mattison. It is not a fact that he outplayed him. If you understood logic at all you would know that you are presenting a fallacy. As for looking more explosive that is a matter of opinion which a lot of people don't share with you. I would go more by the training camp reports from the media and the opinions of the coaches which completely favor Mattison. Time for you to just admit how wrong you were about Butler and move on.
What was I wrong about Butler about? His career is two months young. His position was a greater need for us than RB. Seems like everything I have said is correct. My point was and.always will be that WR was more important than RB because we had capable Backups. I wanted Butler. I still think despite his injury, he will be a fantastic pro. I didn't think we needed to spend a 3rd on a RB. I argued for a 5th or 6th. Boone is playing like a starter. News break, he always has. We just signed a 5th after all our WRs doing nothing. Our starting QB just had a 3-13 outing against vanilla defenses because we were down one wr. But I'm wrong... Laughable
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:26 pm also can I point out him being outplayed by The talented wide receivers that Arizona has has nothing to do with the bums that we have collected. I know they are all fan favorites and BB is the second coming of Wes Walker but he had one catch all preseason. Hakeem would have been better for this team than Mattison
Again, Keesean Johnson was a 6th round pick and drastically out performed butler. Not just a little, drastically. Bisi Johnson is a 7th round pick and out performed butler. Butler had 1 catch for 6 yards this preseason, the coaching staff was not impressed and he had trouble catching the football. What makes you think he would be good for this team when he’s been outperformed by a 6th and 7th round pick. Call Bisi Johnson a bum all you want, he’s done way more than Butler has this preseason. If butler was as good as you claimed him to be, he would have done something or showed something. And he did practically nothing and showed that he struggles catching the football. Why are you bothering to argue that?!
He didn't have trouble catching the ball. He had trouble holding on to the ball. That screams fumbles. It's your source btw. How did Bisi Johnson out performed him on a different team. Lol
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:08 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 pm

There is absolutely no fact that Boone outplayed Mattison. It seems to me that you are desperate to save face regarding your stance that we should have drafted Butler. It is a fact that Boone got more yards in preseason games at a higher YPC than Mattison. It is not a fact that he outplayed him. If you understood logic at all you would know that you are presenting a fallacy. As for looking more explosive that is a matter of opinion which a lot of people don't share with you. I would go more by the training camp reports from the media and the opinions of the coaches which completely favor Mattison. Time for you to just admit how wrong you were about Butler and move on.
What was I wrong about Butler about? His career is two months young. His position was a greater need for us than RB. Seems like everything I have said is correct. My point was and.always will be that WR was more important than RB because we had capable Backups. I wanted Butler. I still think despite his injury, he will be a fantastic pro. I didn't think we needed to spend a 3rd on a RB. I argued for a 5th or 6th. Boone is playing like a starter. News break, he always has. We just signed a 5th after all our WRs doing nothing. Our starting QB just had a 3-13 outing against vanilla defenses because we were down one wr. But I'm wrong... Laughable
You ever hear of quit while you're behind. Butler has totally sucked during his entire short professional career. We drafted a guy in the 7th round who is doing much better. Mattison is getting rave reviews. Boone is not playing like a starter. He's playing like a guy who did well against backup players during preseason football games. What he did last year against real NFL players speaks You have been wrong about everything. Time for you to move on.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:10 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 pm

He didn't have trouble catching the ball. He had trouble holding on to the ball. That screams fumbles. It's your source btw. How did Bisi Johnson out performed him on a different team. Lol
Whether he’s dropping balls or fumbling, he’s NOT making plays. 1 catch for 6 yards was his line in the preseason and was drastically outplayed by a 6th rounder. And when you compare Bisi Johnson and butler on how they did in the preseason, who made plays and who didn’t? Bisi Johnson made plays. Butler did not. Why is that hard to understand? Like others are saying, quit while you’re behind. You’re just digging yourself a deeper hole by continuing to argue this. If butler actually did something this preseason and wasn’t dominated by a 6th rounder, you might have an argument. You have none right now. Literally zero
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 am

You ever hear of quit while you're behind. Butler has totally sucked during his entire short professional career. We drafted a guy in the 7th round who is doing much better. Mattison is getting rave reviews. Boone is not playing like a starter. He's playing like a guy who did well against backup players during preseason football games. What he did last year against real NFL players speaks You have been wrong about everything. Time for you to move on.
Agreed. Mattison has been receiving rave reviews all along. Given dalvins injury history, it’s smart to draft a guy that can carry a load like mattison can. It’s no different than when we signed Murray. And when cook was out, especially in 2017, we didn’t skip a beat. You don’t want to be in a situation like we were when Asiata and McKinnon were here. Your star RB goes down and our running game became awful. Our star RB goes down in 2017 and we still finished the year as the 7th best rushing team in the nfl WITHOUT cook. Mattison had more carries in 2 years at Boise st than Boone had in 4 years at Cincy. There is zero proof Boone could ever carry a full load. There is plenty of proof that mattison can. And given we are moving more towards a run first attack, you need to have the RBs to do that. Which is why we needed mattison more than we needed Hakeem butler. It’s the same reason we needed Irv Smith more than we needed Hakeem butler given how we’re moving to 2 TE sets more. And if you can find guys in the later rounds that can perform like Bisi Johnson, it’s even better.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I'm obviously speaking to a brick wall. I don't see how you can't understand that two months into a career and an entry to the hand please a factor on how a wide receiver a position that uses their hands perform. I would go further to explain how Butler isn't an ideal fit for the air raid system but I doubt you have much understanding on football systems. You've continued to try to dispel how Boone has performed this preseason. as I pointed out he has unskilled guys blocking for him and he hasn't average 3.6 yards a carry dispute that. All he did was lead the NFL in rushing in the preseason. He's outplayed our third-rounder. None of that matters. The fact of the matter is we have a plethora of running backs now and a void at wide receiver. We should have addressed wide receiver higher whether it's Hakeem Butler or not.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:08 am
I'm obviously speaking to a brick wall. I don't see how you can't understand that two months into a career and an entry to the hand please a factor on how a wide receiver a position that uses their hands perform. I would go further to explain how Butler isn't an ideal fit for the air raid system but I doubt you have much understanding on football systems. You've continued to try to dispel how Boone has performed this preseason. as I pointed out he has unskilled guys blocking for him and he hasn't average 3.6 yards a carry dispute that. All he did was lead the NFL in rushing in the preseason. He's outplayed our third-rounder. None of that matters. The fact of the matter is we have a plethora of running backs now and a void at wide receiver. We should have addressed wide receiver higher whether it's Hakeem Butler or not.
More like you're a ####ing brick wall. Literally everyone else has disagreed with you and given you reasons why you are making terrible arguments to justify your boner for the mother####er. You need to stop before you make yourself look any more foolish.

Mattison averaged 3.6 against starting defenses... there's a reason they're STARTING defenses.

Boone averaged 4.8 against BACKUP defenses.

In that hole of your own doing, have you ever realized that maybe... JUST MAYBE... second stringers perform better against second stringers because there's less latent ability there? Damn man. What an odd concept. A second stringer performing alright against a second string defense and a ROOKIE ####ING RUNNING BACK playing decent enough at first string defenses!

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Sooo... 4.8 yards is doing alright. Lol. I don't care who agrees with me. Most people on this board prescribed to a level of group think that would make Orwell #### his pants. My point is clear. The points you want to take away from Boone for doing this against 2nd string defenders, you need to add back for him doing so with 2nd string blockers. Has it occured to you that having #### blockers and a vanilla scheme presents its own difficulties? It's not difficult to understand. He performed well because he at this point is the better player. Fin!!!!!

Last season when I said our online was terrible everyone felt that corner was more important because of the Vikes drafted a corner and group think.

(Reading can be hard and I don't mind repeating my point until you grasp it. Don't you stop working on your phonetics. You'll get it soon. I have separated it from the rest of my message to help.)

*******Again whether you like Butler or not is no concern to me. My point is and always will be that 3rd wr was a bigger need than our 2nd RB because we had talent there.*******

We have nothing at 3rd wr. I happen to like Butler and 2 months is clearly how you judge a career. Again. Laughable.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

You keep using this word "fact". I don't think it means what you think it means.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 am Sooo... 4.8 yards is doing alright. Lol. I don't care who agrees with me. Most people on this board prescribed to a level of group think that would make Orwell #### his pants. My point is clear. The points you want to take away from Boone for doing this against 2nd string defenders, you need to add back for him doing so with 2nd string blockers. Has it occured to you that having #### blockers and a vanilla scheme presents its own difficulties? It's not difficult to understand. He performed well because he at this point is the better player. Fin!!!!!

Last season when I said our online was terrible everyone felt that corner was more important because of the Vikes drafted a corner and group think.

(Reading can be hard and I don't mind repeating my point until you grasp it. Don't you stop working on your phonetics. You'll get it soon. I have separated it from the rest of my message to help.)

*******Again whether you like Butler or not is no concern to me. My point is and always will be that 3rd wr was a bigger need than our 2nd RB because we had talent there.*******

We have nothing at 3rd wr. I happen to like Butler and 2 months is clearly how you judge a career. Again. Laughable.
You keep posting Boone's preseason #s. What about his regular season numbers. He played in 4 games last year. 11 rushes for 4.3 average. Solid. Closer look in three of the games he averaged 3.7, 10 ,1.0. In the other one rush for 20 yards. I don't want to roll with that as our #2 back.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:38 am
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 am Sooo... 4.8 yards is doing alright. Lol. I don't care who agrees with me. Most people on this board prescribed to a level of group think that would make Orwell #### his pants. My point is clear. The points you want to take away from Boone for doing this against 2nd string defenders, you need to add back for him doing so with 2nd string blockers. Has it occured to you that having #### blockers and a vanilla scheme presents its own difficulties? It's not difficult to understand. He performed well because he at this point is the better player. Fin!!!!!

You keep posting Boone's preseason #s. What about his regular season numbers. He played in 4 games last year. 11 rushes for 4.3 average. Solid. Closer look in three of the games he averaged 3.7, 10 ,1.0. In the other one rush for 20 yards. I don't want to roll with that as our #2 back.
Did you forget this team was 2nd to last in rushing last season. To hold that against him is unfortunate. I expect him and the line to be much better. Also consider the amount of touches.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am

You keep using this word "fact". I don't think it means what you think it means.
You killed my father....
A fact is this roster is a mess and I'm deathly afraid of what we've constructed once the a few people get banged up. There is talent for sure but we have no backup center. If we lose a center we lose two positions. It's just been a comedy of errors on so many fronts. Drafting a RB this high was just one of them. I hope the Doctson signing turn out to be a good one. I really liked him coming out of school.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:32 am
You killed my father....
A fact is this roster is a mess and I'm deathly afraid of what we've constructed once the a few people get banged up. There is talent for sure but we have no backup center. If we lose a center we lose two positions. It's just been a comedy of errors on so many fronts. Drafting a RB this high was just one of them. I hope the Doctson signing turn out to be a good one. I really liked him coming out of school.
Prepare to die. :smilevike:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:03 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:19 am
The problem is happening again.
Butler's rookie season was believed to be developmental. He made some plays in training camp but also dropped passes and was clearly behind other rookies like Andy Isabella and KeeSean Johnson.
Can't catch good enough to be a pro. But he will get a year on IR. Good for him. Better than getting cut. He better learn how to catch or it will be over for him quickly.
You think Butler was going to get cut? Lol.
A WR that can't catch at an NFL level will get cut. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. Lol. If he don't fix his catching ability say bye bye. He has a year to do it.