The Real Chance that the Vikings Don't Address Offensive Line Early

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

The Real Chance that the Vikings Don't Address Offensive Line Early

Post by fiestavike »

Are the vikings going to address the OL early in the 2019 NFL draft?

First let's take a look a the roster after a recent flurry of mid and low tier FA signings.

The tackle positions for the Vikings are likely set. Riley Reiff is the starting LT. He is under contract for three more years with significant portions of his contract guaranteed until 2021 (the last year of his deal). O'Neill is likely to hold down the RT position for the foreseeable future, and has 3 more years to go on a rookie contract. Behind them, the Vikings have Rashod Hill under contract for 2019 only. Spending draft capital on a Tackle to replace Rashod Hill in 2020 is reasonable, but it probably won't be an early pick who will probably be held off the field for two full years by Riley Reiff's contract (if not his performance) until at least 2021. The one caveat here is that Reiff could slide down to LG. Does he want to? Could he do so effectively? That notion carries a good deal of risk. More on this later. *Storm Norton and Adam Bisnowaty are also on the roster, but its hard to imagine either one is more than a longshot to make the active roster at any point in 2019.

On the interior of the line, the Vikings return Pat Elflein, Danny Isadora, Brett Jones, Cornelius Edison and Aviante Collins. Elflein had a solid rookie campaign followed by a poor sophomore season. Jones seems to have some starter potential, and Collins was generating some buzz last year until going down with an injury. Edison played better than expected in the preseason. It seems very likely that the C position will be manned by either Jones or Elflein this season. Dakota Dozier and Josh Kline were also brought in during FA, with Kline being paid as the presumptive starter at RG.

All of this seems to indicate that at least for 2019, there is only one OL spot likely to be up for grabs in training camp. LG.

Currently competing for that spot are Collins, Isadora, Dozier, Edison, and the loser of the Elflein/Jones C battle, as well as whatever rookie players remain to be brought in during the draft.

The Vikings could look to address that LG position early in the draft, but don't bet on it. It wouldn't be in line with the teams MO, or the MO of their new offensive coach, Gary Kubiak. During his 10 years on the Denver staff, the Broncos never selected an interior offensive lineman in the first round. In his 8 years in Houston, they never selected an interior offensive lineman in the first round. In fact, only 1 time during those 18 years was an interior lineman selected by one of Kubiak's teams before the 3rd round! Since 2007, the Minnesota Vikings under Rick Spielman have also refrained from spending early draft capital on interior linemen. Other than Pat Elflein (3rd round) the Vikings have not selected a SINGLE interior offensive lineman before the 5th round in that time span!

If the Vikings spend the #18 pick on an OL, you can be reasonably sure it will be a Tackle, and that will very likely mean that Riley Reiff will be sliding down to LG. The Vikings have selected an offensive tackle 3 times in the 1st or 2nd round since 2007, And the teams Kubiak have been associated with have done so 3 times in 18 years since 1995.

Vikings fans should be prepared to roll into the 2019 season with an offensive line that looks an awful lot like this:

LT: Riley Reiff
LG: Pat Elflein (or 3rd/4th round pick)
C: Brett Jones (or Pat Elflein)
RG: Josh Kline
RT: Brian O'Neill
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: The Real Chance that the Vikings Don't Address Offensive Line Early

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:49 pm Are the vikings going to address the OL early in the 2019 NFL draft?

First let's take a look a the roster after a recent flurry of mid and low tier FA signings.

The tackle positions for the Vikings are likely set. Riley Reiff is the starting LT. He is under contract for three more years with significant portions of his contract guaranteed until 2021 (the last year of his deal). O'Neill is likely to hold down the RT position for the foreseeable future, and has 3 more years to go on a rookie contract. Behind them, the Vikings have Rashod Hill under contract for 2019 only. Spending draft capital on a Tackle to replace Rashod Hill in 2020 is reasonable, but it probably won't be an early pick who will probably be held off the field for two full years by Riley Reiff's contract (if not his performance) until at least 2021. The one caveat here is that Reiff could slide down to LG. Does he want to? Could he do so effectively? That notion carries a good deal of risk. More on this later. *Storm Norton and Adam Bisnowaty are also on the roster, but its hard to imagine either one is more than a longshot to make the active roster at any point in 2019.

On the interior of the line, the Vikings return Pat Elflein, Danny Isadora, Brett Jones, Cornelius Edison and Aviante Collins. Elflein had a solid rookie campaign followed by a poor sophomore season. Jones seems to have some starter potential, and Collins was generating some buzz last year until going down with an injury. Edison played better than expected in the preseason. It seems very likely that the C position will be manned by either Jones or Elflein this season. Dakota Dozier and Josh Kline were also brought in during FA, with Kline being paid as the presumptive starter at RG.

All of this seems to indicate that at least for 2019, there is only one OL spot likely to be up for grabs in training camp. LG.

Currently competing for that spot are Collins, Isadora, Dozier, Edison, and the loser of the Elflein/Jones C battle, as well as whatever rookie players remain to be brought in during the draft.

The Vikings could look to address that LG position early in the draft, but don't bet on it. It wouldn't be in line with the teams MO, or the MO of their new offensive coach, Gary Kubiak. During his 10 years on the Denver staff, the Broncos never selected an interior offensive lineman in the first round. In his 8 years in Houston, they never selected an interior offensive lineman in the first round. In fact, only 1 time during those 18 years was an interior lineman selected by one of Kubiak's teams before the 3rd round! Since 2007, the Minnesota Vikings under Rick Spielman have also refrained from spending early draft capital on interior linemen. Other than Pat Elflein (3rd round) the Vikings have not selected a SINGLE interior offensive lineman before the 5th round in that time span!

If the Vikings spend the #18 pick on an OL, you can be reasonably sure it will be a Tackle, and that will very likely mean that Riley Reiff will be sliding down to LG. The Vikings have selected an offensive tackle 3 times in the 1st or 2nd round since 2007, And the teams Kubiak have been associated with have done so 3 times in 18 years since 1995.

Vikings fans should be prepared to roll into the 2019 season with an offensive line that looks an awful lot like this:

Good post fiesta! I would really prefer that they move O'Neill to LT and Reiff to RT if anything. Oneill has the quickness to stay with speed rushers where Reiff doesnt (Buffalo game proved that). I have a weird feeling they won't do this but I think it's a necessity. Yeah Kline will start at RG. Elflein is a question mark. I like what they've done so far because we have a lot of options heading into the draft and don't have to pinpoint guard. We can take a center and move Elflein to guard. We can draft a guard and keep Elflein at center or we can even draft a tackle and move Reiff inside (my last option). The good thing is though, we can draft guard, center and/or tackle, and it helps tremendously because we can do some moving around.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:14 pm
fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:49 pm Are the vikings going to address the OL early in the 2019 NFL draft?

Good post fiesta! I would really prefer that they move O'Neill to LT and Reiff to RT if anything. Oneill has the quickness to stay with speed rushers where Reiff doesnt (Buffalo game proved that). I have a weird feeling they won't do this but I think it's a necessity. Yeah Kline will start at RG. Elflein is a question mark. I like what they've done so far because we have a lot of options heading into the draft and don't have to pinpoint guard. We can take a center and move Elflein to guard. We can draft a guard and keep Elflein at center or we can even draft a tackle and move Reiff inside (my last option). The good thing is though, we can draft guard, center and/or tackle, and it helps tremendously because we can do some moving around.
If they want to switch the Tackles, I hope they do it at the start of camp and stick with it. I want less ambiguity, and more continuity, and for that reason, I'm inclined to leave Reiff on the left and O'Neill on the right.

Since Zimmer took over, the Vikings have done a pretty darn good job developing DEs and DBs and LBs. They need a coach on the offensive side who can take those flashes we've seen from guys like Elflein, Collins and Edison, and mold them into a competent group of interior linemen because history shows they aren't going to try to fix that group with draft capital. That may or may not be a philosophical error, but its certainly failed to materialize and there have been obvious errors in the execution of that philosophy, exacerbated by a real lack of continuity on the offensive side of the ball.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The question I would ask is how successful the Kubiak OLs were during that time frame? It could be that Kubiak is the coach they've been looking for to compliment the strategy of not taking OL early. The history you detailed certainly supports that position. It could also be another season of challenges.

My suspicion is it will be somewhere in between. We could get lucky and all the guys they have will fit Kubiak's system well right out of the gate. However, if they do not, then the first year we could see some growing pains. My guess is that some will fit, but not all.
Time will tell.

As I've said all offseason, I'd say the odds are rather high that they do not address interior OL early. There is an obvious case for them to buck this trend as the roster has an obvious gaping hole at Guard, but history is not on the side of this move.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm The question I would ask is how successful the Kubiak OLs were during that time frame? It could be that Kubiak is the coach they've been looking for to compliment the strategy of not taking OL early. The history you detailed certainly supports that position. It could also be another season of challenges.

My suspicion is it will be somewhere in between. We could get lucky and all the guys they have will fit Kubiak's system well right out of the gate. However, if they do not, then the first year we could see some growing pains. My guess is that some will fit, but not all.
Time will tell.

As I've said all offseason, I'd say the odds are rather high that they do not address interior OL early. There is an obvious case for them to buck this trend as the roster has an obvious gaping hole at Guard, but history is not on the side of this move.
You really think a half-assed attempt at fixing the Oline is the way to go? It hasnt worked for us, at all, and it wont with Kubiak either. The battles are won in the trenches. You have to spend quality picks on them just like any other posistion. Why do so many think its fine to address the Dline/Defense with quality picks but not the Oline/Offense? Esp. with Zimmer as our coach, he can coach up just about any player in the draft that he thinks is worth. It baffles the mind people still post garbage that the Oline doesnt need immediate quality picks NOW, not later. Kubiak isnt a god (although he may seem to be like one with all our GM and offensive coaching problems.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm You really think a half-assed attempt at fixing the Oline is the way to go? It hasnt worked for us, at all, and it wont with Kubiak either. The battles are won in the trenches. You have to spend quality picks on them just like any other posistion. Why do so many think its fine to address the Dline/Defense with quality picks but not the Oline/Offense? Esp. with Zimmer as our coach, he can coach up just about any player in the draft that he thinks is worth. It baffles the mind people still post garbage that the Oline doesnt need immediate quality picks NOW, not later. Kubiak isnt a god (although he may seem to be like one with all our GM and offensive coaching problems.
I think taking steps that can actually fix the problem makes sense. Drafting a position just because there is a perceived immediate need at the position, even if there are better players at other positions, or even uniquely talented better players at other positions who slide for some reason (which can easily happen by the 18th pick of a draft), isn't smart and isn't likely to either fix the position of immediate need or make the overall team better in the short, or longer, term.

This is a flat offensive line class. Nobody really stands out, and its reasonable to think that guys who are going to have very successful pro careers are going to end up sliding into the 3rd - 6th rounds this year. I think Spielman needs to take the position seriously, both in the draft and in free agency, but at the same time, he's got to look at what is available to him when the Vikings are on the clock in the first 2 rounds and take the best players available, even if they don't play offensive line positions.

With that said, I think its extremely unlikely the Vikes won't take an OL with at least one of the first two picks, but it's still possible, and even more, it's possible that will be the right move for the overall team given the players available at those picks.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm
I think taking steps that can actually fix the problem makes sense. Drafting a position just because there is a perceived immediate need at the position, even if there are better players at other positions, or even uniquely talented better players at other positions who slide for some reason (which can easily happen by the 18th pick of a draft), isn't smart and isn't likely to either fix the position of immediate need or make the overall team better in the short, or longer, term.

This is a flat offensive line class. Nobody really stands out, and its reasonable to think that guys who are going to have very successful pro careers are going to end up sliding into the 3rd - 6th rounds this year. I think Spielman needs to take the position seriously, both in the draft and in free agency, but at the same time, he's got to look at what is available to him when the Vikings are on the clock in the first 2 rounds and take the best players available, even if they don't play offensive line positions.

With that said, I think its extremely unlikely the Vikes won't take an OL with at least one of the first two picks, but it's still possible, and even more, it's possible that will be the right move for the overall team given the players available at those picks.
Exactly. Passing on a Wilkins or Sweat or someone along those lines is not good drafting. That’s having OL goggles just because you have a “need” there and taking a late first to second round offensive lineman over a guy like Wilkins is reaching at its finest. If we had a loaded offensive line but had a “minor” hole at guard, and then had a weak DL, would anyone pass on a Quinton Nelson at guard just to draft a DT because we need one? I sure hope not. We gotta take the OL goggles off and look at the big picture. We can’t pinpoint a position and say “hey we have to draft a guy on the OL in the first no matter what”. No different than when Shariff Floyd fell to ya. Suppose to go in the top 5-10 but slid all the way to us and was clearly the BPA at that time. So you pull the trigger. If someone that is that good and doesn’t play OL is sitting on our laps at 18, you take them. You have the 2nd and 3rd to address OL and can obviously find quality lineman there. Especially in this draft. I can almost guarantee Spielman and Zim won’t have OL goggles on which is a good thing. They are pretty opened minded when it comes to that. Some of the best defensive players in the league didn’t go until the mid teens or later. JJ Watt, Donald, Sheldon richardson, chandler jones, cam Jordan, Rhodes, McCourty, Harry, Wilkerson, etc. If there is a player like that sitting there at 18 and then a few late round and beyond OL picks, you take the BPA. Simple as that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:08 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm You really think a half-assed attempt at fixing the Oline is the way to go? It hasnt worked for us, at all, and it wont with Kubiak either. The battles are won in the trenches. You have to spend quality picks on them just like any other posistion. Why do so many think its fine to address the Dline/Defense with quality picks but not the Oline/Offense? Esp. with Zimmer as our coach, he can coach up just about any player in the draft that he thinks is worth. It baffles the mind people still post garbage that the Oline doesnt need immediate quality picks NOW, not later. Kubiak isnt a god (although he may seem to be like one with all our GM and offensive coaching problems.

Righttttt, lets not seriously address the Oline for yet another year because we dont want to draft high picks for the offense. Lets keep watching our QBs scramble for their lives, drop the ball turning it over, trying to roll out with 5 defensive linemen chasing them down, while our wannabe Olineguys are sucking for breath. Lets not look at Ricks track record of drafting or trading for Oline guys and failing in the worse way.

Do you really think the Vikes would pass up a BPA just because they need help on the Oline. I know Rick likes to pass the buck when it comes to the Oline, but even he isnt dumb enough to let a great player slip by because he had his mind set on an Oline guy (like hes done before with QB's AND WRs). I really think Rick has learned his lesson. If there is equal value between a D player or an O player, he will go with the O player. He KNOWS Kirk needs all the help he can get.

Our Oline is in terrible shape, with hope Kubiak can fix it, and coach up our Hills, Klines, Reiffs, etc, magically. Its not going to happen. You cant continue to draft or pick up bad Oline guys in FA and think something different will happen this year. You know what thats the definition of? We need to give the Oline the attention and respect NOW, this year, with good picks. Even if we miss on them, like say we did with Elf (hopefully he isnt as bad as he seemed last year). It worth it to use high picks on the players that look like monster guys for the Oline, so we can at least have 2 years for a pocket passer like we have now and paid a billion dollars for.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 am

Righttttt, lets not seriously address the Oline for yet another year because we dont want to draft high picks for the offense. Lets keep watching our QBs scramble for their lives, drop the ball turning it over, trying to roll out with 5 defensive linemen chasing them down, while our wannabe Olineguys are sucking for breath. Lets not look at Ricks track record of drafting or trading for Oline guys and failing in the worse way.

Do you really think the Vikes would pass up a BPA just because they need help on the Oline. I know Rick likes to pass the buck when it comes to the Oline, but even he isnt dumb enough to let a great player slip by because he had his mind set on an Oline guy (like hes done before with QB's AND WRs). I really think Rick has learned his lesson. If there is equal value between a D player or an O player, he will go with the O player. He KNOWS Kirk needs all the help he can get.

Our Oline is in terrible shape, with hope Kubiak can fix it, and coach up our Hills, Klines, Reiffs, etc, magically. Its not going to happen. You cant continue to draft or pick up bad Oline guys in FA and think something different will happen this year. You know what thats the definition of? We need to give the Oline the attention and respect NOW, this year, with good picks. Even if we miss on them, like say we did with Elf (hopefully he isnt as bad as he seemed last year). It worth it to use high picks on the players that look like monster guys for the Oline, so we can at least have 2 years for a pocket passer like we have now and paid a billion dollars for.
It doesn't matter all that much what we prefer, the issue I was trying to raise is that there is a real chance it isn't going to happen. If the Vikings take an OL in the 1st round, history indicates its liable to be a tackle. Maybe that would be a Jonah Williams type who could play G for a year or two (in some ways that would be ideal), but otherwise they have to be prepared to slide Reiff down to G (which may or may not solve the LG position) or go ahead and eat a LOT of dead money by releasing him (very unlikely)(also doesn't solve the LG position).
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm
mansquatch wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm The question I would ask is how successful the Kubiak OLs were during that time frame? It could be that Kubiak is the coach they've been looking for to compliment the strategy of not taking OL early. The history you detailed certainly supports that position. It could also be another season of challenges.

Time will tell.

You really think a half-assed attempt at fixing the Oline is the way to go? It hasnt worked for us, at all, and it wont with Kubiak either. The battles are won in the trenches. You have to spend quality picks on them just like any other posistion. Why do so many think its fine to address the Dline/Defense with quality picks but not the Oline/Offense? Esp. with Zimmer as our coach, he can coach up just about any player in the draft that he thinks is worth. It baffles the mind people still post garbage that the Oline doesnt need immediate quality picks NOW, not later. Kubiak isnt a god (although he may seem to be like one with all our GM and offensive coaching problems.
Well obviously you should have sent your resume to the Wilf's in 2011 when they made Rick the full time GM. They and the other 31 franchises have obviously done a very poor job scouting your talent all these years.

Of course the superbowl champion Patriots would beg to differ with your assessment of the strategy the Vikings are employing. Seeing as their entire OL was a bunch of rejects from other teams, none of which was an early day draft prospect. It is quite obvious that the approach can work, one might even argue that it should be in vogue seeing as the Cowboys didn't even reach the NFCCG and they had a bunch of 1st round picks on their OL. But nah, you are right, it is half-assed approach. I'm sure BB just got lucky this past January.

There have always been two questions in play on the OL for the Vikings during Zimmer's term. First one is if the strategy is viable. NE shows that it can be. Second one is do we have the right people to execute it. It is quite obvious looking at the history of the OL coach under Zimmer that the Vikings MGMT is keenly aware of the need for a OL Coach who can properly execute this approach. They felt they had that guy in Sparano. (See 2017 OL) When he died, it created a vacancy, one which they have just now filled.

To Fiesta's post. The question is more about what they are likely to do, not whether or not you like it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:50 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Well obviously you should have sent your resume to the Wilf's in 2011 when they made Rick the full time GM. They and the other 31 franchises have obviously done a very poor job scouting your talent all these years.

Of course the superbowl champion Patriots would beg to differ with your assessment of the strategy the Vikings are employing. Seeing as their entire OL was a bunch of rejects from other teams, none of which was an early day draft prospect. It is quite obvious that the approach can work, one might even argue that it should be in vogue seeing as the Cowboys didn't even reach the NFCCG and they had a bunch of 1st round picks on their OL. But nah, you are right, it is half-assed approach. I'm sure BB just got lucky this past January.

There have always been two questions in play on the OL for the Vikings during Zimmer's term. First one is if the strategy is viable. NE shows that it can be. Second one is do we have the right people to execute it. It is quite obvious looking at the history of the OL coach under Zimmer that the Vikings MGMT is keenly aware of the need for a OL Coach who can properly execute this approach. They felt they had that guy in Sparano. (See 2017 OL) When he died, it created a vacancy, one which they have just now filled.

To Fiesta's post. The question is more about what they are likely to do, not whether or not you like it.
The Pats have a good coaching staff, the Vikes DONT. Next thing you are going to try and say Zimmer is a better HC then BB, just unlucky, LOL. Maybe you should send s resume into the Wilfs, I cant believe you still chat with us simple folk here. But I dont think even they would let you milk out the Sparono death for this long. Coaches die or move on unexpectedly ALL THE TIME. Good teams overcome, bad ones make excuses, or have their fan base try and make them.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am
It doesn't matter all that much what we prefer, the issue I was trying to raise is that there is a real chance it isn't going to happen. If the Vikings take an OL in the 1st round, history indicates its liable to be a tackle. Maybe that would be a Jonah Williams type who could play G for a year or two (in some ways that would be ideal), but otherwise they have to be prepared to slide Reiff down to G (which may or may not solve the LG position) or go ahead and eat a LOT of dead money by releasing him (very unlikely)(also doesn't solve the LG position).
Oh there is definitely a chance we dont draft an OL first round. As for us taking a tackle or guard, it could be either to be honest. FIRST round tackle prospects are:

-Jawaan Taylor- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, Gone by 18
-Greg Little- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, could still be there at 18
-Cody Ford- Primary Position- OT Secondary-OG, could still be there at 18
-Jonah Williams- Primary Position- OT Secondary-OG or C, could still be there at 18
-Andre Dillard- Primary Position- OT Secondary- None, could still be there at 18
-Dalton Risner- Primary Position- OT Secondary- OG or C, could still be there at 18

FIRST round interior prospects are:

Chris Lindstrom- Primary Position- OG Secondary-None, could still be there at 18
Erik McCoy- Primary Position- OG Secondary- C, could still be there at 18
Garrett Bradbury- Primary Position- C Secondary- OG, could still be there at 18
Elgton Jenkins- Primary Position- C Secondary- OG, could still be there at 18

Following that, you have TONS of 2nd-5th round interior prospects such as:

-OG/C Michael Jordan- Ohio St.
-OG Michael Deiter- Wisconsin
-OG/C Conner McGovern- Penn St.
-OT/OG Nate Davis- Charlotte
-OG/OT Ryan Bates- Penn St.
-OG/C Ross Pierschbacher- Alabama
-OG Beau Benzschawel- Wisconsin
-OG/OT Max Scharping- Northern Illinois
-OG Derwin Gray- Maryland
-OG Keaton Sutherland- Texas A & M
-OG Nate Herbig- Stanford
-OG/OT Alex Bars- Notre Dame

2nd-5th round tackle prospects consist of:

-OT- Kaleb McGary- Washington
-OT- Yodny Cajuste- West Virginia
-OT Trey Pipkins- Sioux Falls
-OT Isaiah Prince- Ohio St.
-OT Tytus Howard- Alabama St.

Point is, there are way more interior prospects in the middle rounds than there are early on. So if we dont draft a guard in the first round, now guys might see why. I'm sure some will still freak but either way, this is what it's going to look like roughly. For guys that can or possibly can make an impact on an OL. Outside of McGary, I'm not big on the tackle prospects outside of round 1. Maybe Pipkins and Prince. Definitely not Cajuste. If there is a tackle like Jonah Williams waiting for us, it's tough not to pull the trigger instead of drafting a guard, given our BPA's at the time are offensive lineman. In the end, if we're going to draft a tackle, I'd rather do it early instead of later. If we pass on OG in the first, fine by me. There are a boat load that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not so much for tackles. So keeping Reiff at tackle would be smart. Preferably RT but I doubt they make that switch with him and O'Neill.

I mean for IMMEDIATE starters (not counting depth), if we only look at the first two rounds and say we go DT- Wilkins in the first and then a guy like Erik McCoy in the 2nd, what are we complaining about? The starters would be Reiff, McCoy/Elf, Elf/McCoy, Kline and O'Neill. That line is already drastically better than 2018's. Now if we went with back to back offensive lineman in the 1st and 2nd lets say, Andre Dillard and Erik McCoy then I'm not sure who guys think is going to be benched on that OL. Reiff isnt sitting on the bench making what he's making, giving up on Elflein is way too premature if you ask me and O'Neill is set. Maybe Kline? But this is what I'm saying....we dont NEED to draft an offensive lineman in round 1 if the right one isnt there. If you reach then that is bad drafting. Period. If the right guy is there then yeah take him. But I dont get why guys are so obsessed with first round OL. As long as they can perform, why does it matter if they are a first, second or third round pick? It doesnt.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am
mansquatch wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:50 am

The Pats have a good coaching staff, the Vikes DONT. Next thing you are going to try and say Zimmer is a better HC then BB, just unlucky, LOL. Maybe you should send s resume into the Wilfs, I cant believe you still chat with us simple folk here. But I dont think even they would let you milk out the Sparono death for this long. Coaches die or move on unexpectedly ALL THE TIME. Good teams overcome, bad ones make excuses, or have their fan base try and make them.
The Pats also play in a joke division. There OL blows. It's worse than ours. They can pick a stiff off the street and be ok. Our crappy OL looked like the greatest of all time against the Jets and Phins. We pushed them all over the field. We crapped the bed against the Bills but the Griff stuff had the whole team down. People thinking a coach dying meant nothing are crazy. That had a tremendous impact on our OL. He died right before camp or during camp. Worse possible time. There was nothing available. Give Zim the Pats schedule and then see what he does. I pointed out two examples of same opponents and our OL looked great. Based on that we don't need to waste an early pick on that position.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 am Righttttt, lets not seriously address the Oline for yet another year because we dont want to draft high picks for the offense. Lets keep watching our QBs scramble for their lives, drop the ball turning it over, trying to roll out with 5 defensive linemen chasing them down, while our wannabe Olineguys are sucking for breath. Lets not look at Ricks track record of drafting or trading for Oline guys and failing in the worse way.

This is flat offensive line class. There aren't a lot of OL coming out this year that are consensus 1st rounders.

And nowhere was I, nor anyone else I'm reading, suggesting the Vikings not seriously address the Oline for yet another year.

What I'm suggesting is more along the lines of what you're saying in your second paragraph. If it's a wash between Oline and other prospects at other positions when the Vikings are on the clock, Spielman will probably take the OL prospect. But if its not a wash, if a great player is available at another position, even if not a position of great immediate need, he'll take that guy. And he should.

But the draft is about looking at the team over the longer term. Its not about fixing immediate needs. If a GM is looking to plug immediate needs with draft picks, that's the surest sign he's done a crappy job of drafting in the past (or has had some really bad luck with injuries and such for players he has drafted in the past). Good GMs never pass on unique talent if it slips to them, even if the team has greater immediate needs at other positions. That's why I still think the Hughes pick was a great move last year. Hughes got injured early, and that sucks, but the guy has unique talents and he's going to be a great player. Not a position of need, but easily the BPA on the board when the Vikings pick came around IMHO.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

fiestavike wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:49 pm Since 2007, the Minnesota Vikings under Rick Spielman have also refrained from spending early draft capital on interior linemen. Other than Pat Elflein (3rd round) the Vikings have not selected a SINGLE interior offensive lineman before the 5th round in that time span!
Whoa. Wait a minute. Sure they have, in five different seasons (six counting Elflein).

Phil Loadholt -- 2009, 2nd round
Matt Kalil -- 2012, 1st round
T.J. Clemmings -- 2015, 4th round
Willie Beavers -- 2016, 4th round
Pat Elflein -- 2017, 3rd round
Brian O'Neill -- 2018, 2nd round

Granted, that list is not exactly the Who's Who of great offensive linemen, but you don't need to overplay your hand -- because you have a good one.

You are totally correct in your assertion that the Vikings under Rick Spielman have not prioritized O-linemen in the early rounds. But here is perhaps an even more telling fact. During the time period you mention (since 2007), there have been four drafts where the Vikings took ZERO offensive linemen.

My hope is that Gary Kubiak still has the Midas touch. Everywhere he's coached, they've had offensive linemen who weren't household names but played really well as a unit. Kubiak takes linemen who fit what he wants to do, so I'm hoping that's what he's doing here. Not necessarily looking for the biggest names or studliest dudes, but guys who have the specific attributes his system requires (whether that's in free agency or the draft). Don't ask me what those are because I'm not that smart. :lol:
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.