Spielman gets an extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Spielman gets an extension

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Vikings signed GM Rick Spielman to a one-year extension through 2020.

Spielman had been heading into a lame duck season. Now both he and coach Mike Zimmer are under contract through 2020. The Vikings' general manager since 2006, Spielman's tenure has come with a high floor and interesting ceiling. A big thinker who is never afraid to make splashy moves, Spielman sometimes pays for his boldness but is more often rewarded for it.
I’m not opposed to it at all. I have always liked how Spielman has built through the draft and has put together a very talented. Him and Zim now have contracts that’s are both up in 2020.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Spielman gets an extension

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:15 pm
Vikings signed GM Rick Spielman to a one-year extension through 2020.

Spielman had been heading into a lame duck season. Now both he and coach Mike Zimmer are under contract through 2020. The Vikings' general manager since 2006, Spielman's tenure has come with a high floor and interesting ceiling. A big thinker who is never afraid to make splashy moves, Spielman sometimes pays for his boldness but is more often rewarded for it.
I’m not opposed to it at all. I have always liked how Spielman has built through the draft and has put together a very talented. Him and Zim now have contracts that’s are both up in 2020.
And he's brought us so many SB championships. The WIlf's know NOTHING about football.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

The guy is garbage at evaluating offensive talent and a terrible fit to pair with a defensive minded coach.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think he is one if the better GMs put there. Does he need to do some things better? Absolutely. We do have a very talented roster though and most of it has come from his draft picks.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm I think he is one if the better GMs put there. Does he need to do some things better? Absolutely. We do have a very talented roster though and most of it has come from his draft picks.
He is incompetent. You dont reward that with an extension. What in the world has he done to make you think hes a good GM? Hes been in MN for ages and has accomplished NOTHING. We won 8 friggin games last seas. Think about that. Some fans are happy with mediocrity. I just dont understand that. "Well we aint as bad as the Browns, Ricky must be doing something right!"
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:53 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm I think he is one if the better GMs put there. Does he need to do some things better? Absolutely. We do have a very talented roster though and most of it has come from his draft picks.
He is incompetent. You dont reward that with an extension. What in the world has he done to make you think hes a good GM? Hes been in MN for ages and has accomplished NOTHING. We won 8 friggin games last seas. Think about that. Some fans are happy with mediocrity. I just dont understand that. "Well we aint as bad as the Browns, Ricky must be doing something right!"
Well 16 of 22 of our starters have been draft picks or undrafted rookies signed by him. We may have gone eight and eight but we have one of the most talented rosters in the league on paper. Unfortunately the weakest link is the offensive line and that holds back a lot of your team success if it's not functioning at least adequately. I also think there were a lot of schematic problems last year. For that he has to take some blame.
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It's not a coincidence Rick, Zim, and Cousins contracts are all synced up. They either perform or we see a major house cleaning in two years. I think this is the best call,a new GM if needed will be able to bring in his own coach and QB.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 pm It's not a coincidence Rick, Zim, and Cousins contracts are all synced up. They either perform or we see a major house cleaning in two years. I think this is the best call,a new GM if needed will be able to bring in his own coach and QB.
No, it isnt a coincidence. It proves the Wilf's know nothing about football. Kubiak will probably do just enough to give them all new contracts, without getting any closer to a championship.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:15 pm

And he's brought us so many SB championships. The WIlf's know NOTHING about football.
So I guess most of the analysts out there that say he’s a top 10 GM in the league must know nothing either. And you of all people, do think he’s a good GM because you know a lot about football.....hmmm. Nobody is “happy with mediocrity”. The point is, he’s built a roster to compete. You don’t just win a SB over night. So many things have to go right, you have to stay away from injuries, your coaches have to be on par, etc. Not many teams have won SBs lately outside of the patriots. I’m sorry but it doesn’t make you a great GM just by winning a SB or even making a SB then crapping the bed after that. Ask packer fans what they think of their last GM and how horrid he drafted. Ask falcons fans what they think of their GM, les Snead was on the verge of being fired before Mcvay got there. Schneiders team has been floating around average now. Spielman has made his mistakes just like all GMs but Spielman has put together a roster with a ton of talent and will keep adding it. Not many teams have the talent we do. It’s about putting it together as a team and playing sound football now. Either way, nfl.com has him ranked at 8, sporting news has him at 3 and rotoworld has him at 9. That’s not a coincidence. He’s been much more successful than a lot of other GMs out there. And I can guarantee you don’t have a better option out there either. Having nearly 90% of your starters being players you drafted, that shows you have a pretty damn good idea of what you’re doing. I’ll take their opinions over yours any day of the week
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I think Speilman is an above average GM. I don't think he's best in the league but he is far from the worst. I think he has completed 3/4 of a good roster. Unfortunately, he never seems to be able to seal that final piece of a perfect roster. He built a decent defense during the 07-09 era but simply did not trade for a QB or sign on to put the team over the hump. Instead went with Brad Johnson, Gus Ferrotte, TJack etc. I think he is doing the same thing the this time but with the oline. Had a chance to lock down guard with a trade and a signing or draft pick. Instead, we get a retread we are hoping to fix. Unless the way we draft is fixed, I expect us to have major issues next season. I believe we will still be defensively dominating in this draft. When we have a chance to be a dominate team.

A WR corp of Diggs, AT, Butler, Beebe and Zylstra and or /Robinson.
A TE corp of Rudolph, jace sternberger, Conklin, Morgan
Oline of Ford, Powers, Pat, Oniel etc.
Adding a RB like Hill or Henderson would make me smile too.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:03 pm
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 pm

So I guess most of the analysts out there that say he’s a top 10 GM in the league must know nothing either. And you of all people, do think he’s a good GM because you know a lot about football.....hmmm. Nobody is “happy with mediocrity”. The point is, he’s built a roster to compete. You don’t just win a SB over night. So many things have to go right, you have to stay away from injuries, your coaches have to be on par, etc. Not many teams have won SBs lately outside of the patriots. I’m sorry but it doesn’t make you a great GM just by winning a SB or even making a SB then crapping the bed after that. Ask packer fans what they think of their last GM and how horrid he drafted. Ask falcons fans what they think of their GM, les Snead was on the verge of being fired before Mcvay got there. Schneiders team has been floating around average now. Spielman has made his mistakes just like all GMs but Spielman has put together a roster with a ton of talent and will keep adding it. Not many teams have the talent we do. It’s about putting it together as a team and playing sound football now. Either way, nfl.com has him ranked at 8, sporting news has him at 3 and rotoworld has him at 9. That’s not a coincidence. He’s been much more successful than a lot of other GMs out there. And I can guarantee you don’t have a better option out there either. Having nearly 90% of your starters being players you drafted, that shows you have a pretty damn good idea of what you’re doing. I’ll take their opinions over yours any day of the week
Good, go comment on their website, and quit responding to my comments. You have stated so many time how superior you are to most people on this board, why do you stick around? You act like a child. If you dont think a GM with a SB under their belt is better then one with NONE, you and I have nothing to talk about. Embrace the mediocrity of Speilman and Co.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

:popcorn:
mael·strom

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 pm It's not a coincidence Rick, Zim, and Cousins contracts are all synced up. They either perform or we see a major house cleaning in two years. I think this is the best call,a new GM if needed will be able to bring in his own coach and QB.
This is correct. Spielman, Zimmer, and Cousins are all put on notice now. This pisses me off but it's also the first real sign that the wilfs are sick of the same ####.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I don't see what the big deal is. It's a one year extension, not 10.

It was done to create an option. Imagine they don't extend Zim and Rick and the team plays great this year and contends or wins it all. Then they're both Free agents and the bidding war would be crazy.

This way they would have time to work something longer while also not being so tied down they can still cut bait if they crap the bed again.

No big deal, unless someone wanted them gone this year, which clearly was not happening.

If they only win 8 games again I can see Wilf firing them and eating the last year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:03 pm

Good, go comment on their website, and quit responding to my comments. You have stated so many time how superior you are to most people on this board, why do you stick around? You act like a child. If you dont think a GM with a SB under their belt is better then one with NONE, you and I have nothing to talk about. Embrace the mediocrity of Speilman and Co.
I stated how I am superior to everyone else? Now you're just putting words into my mouth. There are plenty of members on here that actually provide facts, go in depth, back their opinions. You do not. You get your opinion of someone and you run with it, no matter what. You dont back up any of your posts which shows that you do little to research it and it's entirely opinion based that carries little validity. Granted, we are all entitled to our own opinion but back it up for goodness sake. You want to jump all over anyone that defends Spielman or Cousins (or Waynes for a while) but then just get all defensive when someone questions it? Why? Because you didnt have anything to back it up with in the first place. So that's why YOU act like a child when someone questions your opinion, just like you have with a few posts recently. Instead of saying "go bother someone else" or try to belittle someone like you did with Wally, defend you're opinion if you're so confident with it. You think Spielman is a bad GM because he doesnt have a SB and think Cousins isnt good because he had an 8-7-1 record this year. If that's the only way QBs and GMs were judged (records and SBs), they'd be getting fired right and left. It's not realistic and you know it. Hence why you dont have much to come back with. It's like you sit and lurk for someone to post about how Cousins is a good QB or Spielman is a good GM and then jump all over it when its posted. You cant just post to discuss, you have to post to argue and belittle someone that doesnt agree with your non-backed opinion. THAT is what's tiring.
-Chazz Palminteri