5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterson

Post by Crax »

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-must ... 377799611/

Vikings picked up the 5th year options for Floyd and Rhodes today, but did not do so on Patterson
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 5th year options exercised on Floyd,Rhodes, not Patterso

Post by fiestavike »

Crax wrote:http://www.startribune.com/vikings-must ... 377799611/

Vikings picked up the 5th year options for Floyd and Rhodes today, but did not do so on Patterson
I think they trade him for something between a 4th and a 6th to an AFC team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Sad that he never turned out to be consistent WR. But let's be honest , he is an amazing kick returner and soon to be punt returner. He is one of the best returners we have had. Hopefully we can keep him on a small contract when he is up.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AlldayPotter wrote:Sad that he never turned out to be consistent WR. But let's be honest , he is an amazing kick returner and soon to be punt returner. He is one of the best returners we have had. Hopefully we can keep him on a small contract when he is up.
I doubt that's going to happen. If he doesn't have a bigger role as a WR this year than the miniscule role he had last year, I'd say he's a lock to seek a contract elsewhere in free agency and under those circumstances, the Vikings will probably be fine with his departure.

All of that assumes he'll actually be on the roster this season, of course. He could be traded or cut.

It would be interesting to see what a team like Pittsburgh could do with Patterson.

I wonder if Oakland would be interested since Musgrave worked with him in 2013.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I doubt that's going to happen. If he doesn't have a bigger role as a WR this year than the miniscule role he had last year, I'd say he's a lock to seek a contract elsewhere in free agency and under those circumstances, the Vikings will probably be fine with his departure.

All of that assumes he'll actually be on the roster this season, of course. He could be traded or cut.

It would be interesting to see what a team like Pittsburgh could do with Patterson.

Pittsburgh would be a great destination for Patterson. Reuniting him with Musgrave isn't a bad idea either. I think if he doesn't position himself for a larger role than he had last year, its time to trade him and recoup a little value.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I doubt that's going to happen. If he doesn't have a bigger role as a WR this year than the miniscule role he had last year, I'd say he's a lock to seek a contract elsewhere in free agency and under those circumstances, the Vikings will probably be fine with his departure.

I think Musgrave would jump at the chance to have Patterson on the Raiders. He knows what CP is like with the ball in his hands, plus he helps any team's return game. Pittsburgh is a good idea as well. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Pats could do with Patterson either. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing what the Vikings could do with Patterson, if only he could get the opportunities during regular season football.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I think Musgrave would jump at the chance to have Patterson on the Raiders. He knows what CP is like with the ball in his hands, plus he helps any team's return game. Pittsburgh is a good idea as well. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Pats could do with Patterson either. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing what the Vikings could do with Patterson, if only he could get the opportunities during regular season football.
It's really going to be up to the coaches. He's certainly appears to be doing what he can to improve this offseason.

The Pats offensive system could present a big learning curve for him because it's very different than what he's seen so far but I imagine they'd figure out ways to get the ball in his hands and I suspect the Raiders and Steelers would too.

The Vikes just don't seem very interested and Patterson needs to play for a coaching staff that's flexible enough to make use of his gifts.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I think the Raiders would be the ideal landing spot for him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This has all the hallmarks of a guy who gets tossed and then becomes a superstar elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:This has all the hallmarks of a guy who gets tossed and then becomes a superstar elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong
I usually don't hope for someone to be wrong but I hope you are squatch......
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:This has all the hallmarks of a guy who gets tossed and then becomes a superstar elsewhere. I hope I'm wrong
How many times does that happen? From my (albeit flawed) recollection it's exceedingly rare.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I'm somewhat hopeful that not picking up his option will have him more focused to learn the mundane aspects of the WR position. If not, he may not get much of a contract from anyone next year. Regardless, it seems unlikely that Patterson will get to showcase any new WR skills he's gained this year since he will most likely be behind Diggs, Wright, Treadwell, and Johnson on the depth chart.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Pretty much how I saw it going myself, Rhodes and Floyd are definitely worth keeping and now that we have MoBo there isn't much point in extending Patterson. MoBo may be able to actually learn an NFL offense and how to run a proper route though, seems like a smart dude, speaks multiple languages, forms coherent sentences in interviews, etc.

Hopefully someone is willing to bite on a 4th / 5th rounder to get Patterson from us. With touch backs going to the 25 I think it is? His value to us is extremely low now, I'd be okay if they cut him to keep a guy like Theilan on the team.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It really is sad about CP, but the writting has been on the wall. Maybe they got Der German to replace him on KO's.