DRAFT OG ALREADY

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

ponderwheelsbroads
Waterboy

DRAFT OG ALREADY

Post by ponderwheelsbroads »

Enough is enough, draft one in the top 3 because you can never have too much depth at oline..why is Charlie Johnson still in the NFL??
Toronto Maple Leafs, Minnesota Vikings, Toronto Blue Jays...it's not easy
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: DRAFT OG ALREADY

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

ponderwheelsbroads wrote:Enough is enough, draft one in the top 3 because you can never have too much depth at oline..why is Charlie Johnson still in the NFL??
Johnson is playing better then Kalil.
ponderwheelsbroads
Waterboy

Ya they both suck but what are we gonna do? Draft another left OT?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Johnson is playing better then Kalil.
The backups that came in played a little better than the starters, IMO.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Do Like Dallas did, take the long view and replace them all cause we aint gonna win with this line anyway. Doubt we win another game this year after today. Worst Oline in the NFL
ponderwheelsbroads
Waterboy

This...pocket collapses as soon as the ball is snapped...awful
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Of all people on this board I am the last to defend the offensive line, but I felt they looked MUCH better than against Detroit.
The level of competition isn't an excuse, because honestly 3 of our linemen looked like they didn't belong in the NFL after Detroit, but both Buffalo and Detroit have great fronts and I thought there was some redemption in this game.

Having said that, our line IS THE weakness on this team and we need to address it in dramatic fashion.

I don't care if we draft 4 linemen with our first four picks and bring in 3-4 journeymen free agents and an established starter in free agency. I think the way that we just flooded the secondary with bodies this offseason paid some dividends and I would do the same thing with the Oline. Somebody is bound to pan out, and personally, I want a line good enough that other teams know exactly what play we are going to run and still can't stop it!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

I'd like to see them pull the trigger in the late 1st round for someone like Dorial Green-Backham. I think having a versatile offense will do a lot to stop teams from having confidence in blitzing against us.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Slick Rick wrote:I'd like to see them pull the trigger in the late 1st round for someone like Dorial Green-Backham. I think having a versatile offense will do a lot to stop teams from having confidence in blitzing against us.
I live in the kid's hometown and followed him at Mizzou - no. He's a headcase and misses easy catches too often, let alone contested passes.
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

Amari Cooper would be good with most likely a top 5 pick, trade back in the first to get solid O-Line Man.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

I have a feeling we will see Yankey in the rotation before the end of the year. And Antonio Richardson on the line next year. We have some decent players on the roster they just need to figure it out. Obviously Kalil is Struggling, Richardson is waiting in the wings. The guy was a stud in College. We will also have Fusco back next year as well. I would draft another Tackle, There are a couple of really good Oline guys this year.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

Does anyone know if there are early projections on which OLs should be available in free agency? What will our cap room look like next year, assuming AP isn't around?

The OL play is so frustrating. Two years ago it was the strength of the team, and because it was so young, it was supposed to be a cornerstone of the team, while we strengthened other areas. Having to re-tool the OL has really set this team back.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I think Dallas has set the standard now of what it takes to have a good / dominant O-line. I thought they were being pretty dumb "reaching" on linemen all those picks but man, even Demarco Murray can go nuts behind that line and Romo looks good again.

I think the big problem with our O-line is that everyone's "okay" but no one is that rock solid anchor you can rely on.

Like Loadholt for example is okay or solid but then he'll just get beat really easily and unexpected like every 5 to 8 plays. Sullivan is solid most of the time but gets dominated by guys like Suh. Charlie Johnson I mean he is what he is at this point, a cheap journeyman. Kalil's a headcase I guess and Fusco is probably another "average" starter. You just can't make up a line with 5 guys like that who have limited upside and obvious weaknesses.

The problem is we're kind of locked into our tackles Kalil being a high pick and Loadholt just getting paid. Maybe the best we could do is draft a LG early and try a new O-line coach.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I think Dallas has set the standard now of what it takes to have a good / dominant O-line. I thought they were being pretty dumb "reaching" on linemen all those picks but man, even Demarco Murray can go nuts behind that line and Romo looks good again.
Even Demarco Murray? He had over 5 ypc two previous years. Romo is an above average QB, and they have a top 5-10 WR. And a 9 time pro bowl tight end in Witten.

This wasn't some garbage offense that added a few offensive linemen and took off. They had talent everywhere but the offensive line. Easy to throw first round picks at offensive linemen when you're set everywhere else. We don't know if our QB position is set, if our WRs will pan out, if our tight end will stay healthy, and if we have a back worth the starting job!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Demi wrote: Even Demarco Murray? He had over 5 ypc two previous years. Romo is an above average QB, and they have a top 5-10 WR. And a 9 time pro bowl tight end in Witten.

This wasn't some garbage offense that added a few offensive linemen and took off. They had talent everywhere but the offensive line. Easy to throw first round picks at offensive linemen when you're set everywhere else. We don't know if our QB position is set, if our WRs will pan out, if our tight end will stay healthy, and if we have a back worth the starting job!
Yeah, and as long as we're giving up 60+ sacks a year which we're on pace for, we're NEVER going to know what we have in our skill position players so it's time to fix the line and see what happens. We've drafted WR (Patterson) RB (Mckinnon) QB (Ponder, Bridgewater) TE (Rudolph, Ellison) and the same problems persist, heck we've even changed coaching staffs.

The only constant so far is the OL coach and the OL personnel so that's where I would look to make changes.