Status of Floyd and Robinson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

thatguy
Hall of Famer

Re: Status of Floyd and Robinson

Post by thatguy »

No real mention of Robinson here, but Floyd seems to believe that he'll be good to go for next week.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/viking ... jured.html
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

thatguy wrote:No real mention of Robinson here, but Floyd seems to believe that he'll be good to go for next week.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/viking ... jured.html

I thought I read that Floyd went back on the field in the 4th after his injury in the third.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Texas Vike wrote:
I thought I read that Floyd went back on the field in the 4th after his injury in the third.
Floyd got injured in the 4th quarter, it was just as I was saying "Start taking starters out Zimm, this one is over" :D
This space available for rent.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The latest:
Rhodes, Floyd hurt

Cornerback Xavier Rhodes injured his groin in the third quarter. He briefly returned on the next series then was pulled from the game for good. Cornerback Josh Robinson replaced him in the base defense and rookie Jabari Price was the third corner in the nickel package.

“They said they don’t believe it’s too bad,” Zimmer said after speaking with the medical staff.

Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd injured his shoulder late in the fourth quarter. He was initially concerned he might have suffered a major injury, but after the game he said he expects to be fine beyond some soreness today.

Cornerback Josh Robinson also left the game in the final defensive series because of an apparent leg injury.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 81541.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Man whatever happened to the tough men of the 70s? I don't remember Page, Eller, Larson or Marshall getting hurt so much as the players today.

Despite all the supposed advances I feel the old guys were tougher. I have a theory that all the current no contact practices have softened players bodies. They are not used to getting hit or banged around and so when it comes to game time their bodies can't take the strain.
Of course it's just a theory.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Delaqure wrote:Man whatever happened to the tough men of the 70s? I don't remember Page, Eller, Larson or Marshall getting hurt so much as the players today.

Despite all the supposed advances I feel the old guys were tougher. I have a theory that all the current no contact practices have softened players bodies. They are not used to getting hit or banged around and so when it comes to game time their bodies can't take the strain.
Well, that may be true, but I for one have no problem with it.

A couple of years ago, Sports Illustrated had an article about the lingering effect of injuries on NFL players. They showed a team photo of the 1981 Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl team. They had a legend with the photo that outlined where they are now. Almost every player in the photo was either suffering with a major debilitating condition, had committed suicide, had lost their marbles, etc. It was truly eye opening and very sad.

The league finally recognizes that it must protect players, at least as much as possible, for such a violent sport. Where '81 Bengals players "got their bell rung" and went back in the game, we now recognize the condition as concussion with devastating long-term conditions. Where those guys got a shot of lydecane to numb the pain from the separated shoulder, we now treat as the serious injury it is.

I hope Floyd and Robinson can play, but I can accept if they can't. These guys are human beings, not gladiators who kill each other for our pleasure. The league and its teams have an obligation to protect players.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Delaqure wrote:Man whatever happened to the tough men of the 70s? I don't remember Page, Eller, Larson or Marshall getting hurt so much as the players today.

Possibly, but I would argue that the athletes today are stronger resulting in bigger hits and more injuries.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: The league finally recognizes that it must protect players, at least as much as possible, for such a violent sport. Where '81 Bengals players "got their bell rung" and went back in the game, we now recognize the condition as concussion with devastating long-term conditions. Where those guys got a shot of lydecane to numb the pain from the separated shoulder, we now treat as the serious injury it is.
This too
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

FWIW Both got off the field under their own power. (Not that that necessarily means anything. )
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Papa Khann
Waterboy

Post by Papa Khann »

I think it has a lot to do with the athletes today being both bigger and faster. The collisions are nastier.

Papa
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

Bigger, faster, stronger players will have more violent collisions. The guys preceding them were very tough men, but no where near the size/strength of what is out there now. Not, of course, that I'd have liked to tangle with the 'old' guys mind you!

Now, I know it's just a movie, but remember the Rocky where he went to beat the Russian fighter that killed Apollo? How big was that guy? How strong? All that training and he still had a weakness. Compare that to the players of today, who have all the advantages of science in training, nutrition, medicine, etc. They can still be beaten and hurt.

I also think that the human structure, as good as we're designed, has enough areas of weakness that are more prone to break down as we get bigger and stronger. Discounting concussion, how many injuries have intensified in severity over the years and have resulted in more officiating? Protecting the QB and K, almost to the point of bubble wrap? Even with our size and strength, we are vulnerable, just don't tell the aliens.
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Well, that may be true, but I for one have no problem with it.

A couple of years ago, Sports Illustrated had an article about the lingering effect of injuries on NFL players. They showed a team photo of the 1981 Cincinnati Bengals Super Bowl team. They had a legend with the photo that outlined where they are now. Almost every player in the photo was either suffering with a major debilitating condition, had committed suicide, had lost their marbles, etc. It was truly eye opening and very sad.

The league finally recognizes that it must protect players, at least as much as possible, for such a violent sport. Where '81 Bengals players "got their bell rung" and went back in the game, we now recognize the condition as concussion with devastating long-term conditions. Where those guys got a shot of lydecane to numb the pain from the separated shoulder, we now treat as the serious injury it is.

I hope Floyd and Robinson can play, but I can accept if they can't. These guys are human beings, not gladiators who kill each other for our pleasure. The league and its teams have an obligation to protect players.
Knapp I hear what you're saying agree with you when it comes to concussions. I don't think anyone realized the severity of that. I'm glad the league is addressing that. That being said there are far too many injuries to players lie muscle groin shoulder etc injuries. There shouldn't be groin injuries if players are stretching properly every day. But aside from that the players don't do any hitting at all throughout the week any more and then bang each other as hard as they can on Sundays. Thier bodies can't adjust to the pounding cause their not used to it. If they are not cutting and sprinting and jumping hard at all during the week their muscles can't handle the sudden jump cut or Sprint come game time. I know it's only opinion but it makes some semblance of sense. At least to me.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Delaqure wrote: Knapp I hear what you're saying agree with you when it comes to concussions. I don't think anyone realized the severity of that. I'm glad the league is addressing that. That being said there are far too many injuries to players lie muscle groin shoulder etc injuries. There shouldn't be groin injuries if players are stretching properly every day. But aside from that the players don't do any hitting at all throughout the week any more and then bang each other as hard as they can on Sundays. Thier bodies can't adjust to the pounding cause their not used to it. If they are not cutting and sprinting and jumping hard at all during the week their muscles can't handle the sudden jump cut or Sprint come game time. I know it's only opinion but it makes some semblance of sense. At least to me.
It's all good, bro. We all have opinions and the right to express them.

Here's the deal ... leave it to the players, and they'll just get back out there. In the really old days, you'd have legends of players like Artie Donovan, who once finished out a game on a fractured leg. Guys would routinely get shot up to mask the pain of injuries so they could play, not caring that it was making those injuries much worse and far more debilitating down the road. The NFL wisely has put a stop to all that crap.

Plus, things are just different now. A corner with a tweaked hamstring is going to get torched ... doesn't matter who he's covering. Third-string guys are so fast now that an injured player hurts the team. In the old days, the good players were so much better than the backups that they could still help the team even if they were slowed by injury. Not the case anymore.

I'd rather see Robinson go to the bench if he tweaked something, especially in a blowout, so that he's potentially able to help the Vikings next week or down the road. Leave him in there to tough it out, and you might just lose him for the season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: Can't decide on my next jersey. Of the new unis I have a white Smith and purple Peterson, but Peterson's days as a Viking are numbered so I wanna get another Purple one. Can't decide between Rudolph, CP, Rhodes (FSU fan) or wait to see if Teddy is good.
CP84!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This space available for rent.
purplereign1
Rookie

Post by purplereign1 »

Tougher, maybe. It does however make a big difference when you are battling 265 lb offensive lineman and 325 lb offensive lineman that can bench 500 lbs. NFL players today are all freaks compared to 30 years ago. We have learned how to make muscles much bigger, stronger, and more explosive, but tendons and ligaments are still the same.