I'm Retiring

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: I'm Retiring

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Thanks for keeping the board alive Glg!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Your absence has been and will continue to be a huge loss for the community. I know you won't completely lose touch, but already it's not the same around here. I miss reading your thoughts on a regular basis. You provided insight on much more than just football over the years.

Thanks for the time you put in making the community a better place. It didn't go unnoticed.

Take care of yourself.
-Cliff
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

Thanks GLG, i like your style.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Your absence has been and will continue to be a huge loss for the community. I know you won't completely lose touch, but already it's not the same around here. I miss reading your thoughts on a regular basis. You provided insight on much more than just football over the years.

Thanks for the time you put in making the community a better place. It didn't go unnoticed.

Take care of yourself.
-Cliff
This times infinity. Godspeed. You've done a lot for so many with this community. There's pretty much nothing I read or contribute to more consistently than this forum. Thanks for helping shape it into the joy it is to visit every day.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Post by bigskyeric »

Thank you GLG. Good Luck in the future with all you do. Skol.
Seek and Destroy
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

You are just taking the pension and running! :D

I'm sure you will find that love again someday when they become a juggernaught. Just don't let anyone convince you to join the dark side! Until than good luck in your other hobbies, so long for now.
This space available for rent.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Many, many thanks for your fine work, glg.
We will miss you as we missed Mike when he left. May you find many pleasurable Sundays from here on.
I have come close to this type of decision, but like Michael Corleone, I think I'm out ... And they pull me back in.

All the best.
"Meet at the quarterback"
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

excuse my ignorance, but is this a retirement from VMB...or a retirement from the Vikings?! :shock:

either way, do what you gotta do. happiness in life is most important. :thumbsup:
i'm ready for a beer.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

glg wrote:Six years ago, Mike posted a similar message here. Now it's my turn. As many of you have noticed, I haven't been around as much in the last year as I had in the past. Unfortunately, I've found myself losing my love of the game. Rick Reilly put it better than I could. I don't mean to try to convert anyone or bum anyone out. I just can't watch anymore. It saddens me because this board and football in general have been a lot of fun over the years. (My wife, OTOH, is happy not to have to schedule around games on fall weekends ;) )

Cliff has agreed to take over as admin and he's already brought on some new staff to help him out. I hope you'll give them the same support you've given me over the years.

Thank you to everyone here. As Mike said when he retired, it’s not just the people that run this site that make it great, but the members here also.

I don't understand, but I wish you luck. I've been lurking here for years without an account and I always found you a knowledgeable poster.

My best to you and you're family.

I'd be willing to bet though, if the Vikes were in the SB you might change that tune right quick. ;)
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have to admit; I am not a huge fan of what football is doing.

The QB slide and hit rules I kind of understood; because the value to the team.

Now the wide outs cannot be touched at all. I liked football, because of the

tough physical nature of it. Players like Ronnie Lott, were what attracted me

to the game. Good Luck in whatever you choose to do(IE what the boss let's

you do....J/K).
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I get it.
I dropped my nfl game ticket
I watch what i can on network
I stopped going games
The league and our team are NOT encouraging
40 yrs of frustration
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Thanks Geoff, I remember when you took over years ago when the previous admin decided to pass the torch and so it gets passed on to the next and it's nice that vmb.com can live on this way.

Like others have said I too have had similar thoughts about the game but even if the NFL has an ugly aspect to it, and as a result will continue to change, I think I'll always find something to enjoy. It's like anything now with the internet and how we all receive information: we know more about everything now. Information overload. The concussions and the aftermath is a very dark cloud that hangs over the NFL but the other stuff, the sensationalized Deadspin/PFT/ESPN/TMZ soap opera reporting, is just a result of the new social media world we live in that ultimately has effected everything. I chose to ignore that stuff and only pay attention to what happens on the field. It's like with musicians or other artists: a lot of people who have created amazing things are actually horrible #### in real life. Does that affect how you appreciate their work? I guess for some people it might but I argue that the two need to be separated.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Kansas Viking wrote:Wow, it's been 6 years? I'm getting old. :) Good luck Geoff. You did a great job after I stepped down and I know that you are leaving the board in good hands. It will continue to prosper under the great people here.
Ditto!

When that new stadium opens, I'm going to try and make it to one of those first games. Maybe some of us who date back to the usenet group days should get in touch if we're going to make it to one of the first ones.
-Rus
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Rus wrote: Ditto!

When that new stadium opens, I'm going to try and make it to one of those first games. Maybe some of us who date back to the usenet group days should get in touch if we're going to make it to one of the first ones.
That's a good idea, Rus!
PurplePeopleEater
Transition Player

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

How can you just stop watching football :?: :?: :?: :confused:
And the former Bear will go 99 yards