Who are realistic options to replace Frazier?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Who are realistic options to replace Frazier?

Post by allday1991 »

Lovie Smith? he had the bears Defense rocking the whole time he was there.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote: I've been banging the Horton drum for awhile. Provided he has the mentality, personality and aptitude to hire the right coordinators, of course.

Carmichael makes me nervous. Payton's the mastermind there. We saw the Saints last year w/o Payton, and the Saints finished at the bottom of the NFC South at 7-9 (though I think still in the top-5 in total offense). But how much of Saints' overall success is due to Carmichael? He walked into a dream situation. The Saints were the number one offense in the league the year before he became coordinator with a franchise quarterback and excellent system already in place overseen by offensive genius head coach. I also think he said publicly that New Orleans would be really tough to leave. Especially to a team primarily built around a RB and playing outdoors in Minnesota. Talk about a bit of a cultural and environmental shock. Of course, I rather like the idea of a Saints-style offense with a guy like Manziel tossing the rock. That could be a heck of a lot of fun to watch.
I think Horton interviewed for a few HC positions last year if I recall correctly so he may get his shot somewhere. He'll almost certainly need a strong OC, however.

Good points about Carmichael, it's tough to tell how much benefit should be attributed to him. I guess I'm ready for a jolt, which is why I would shy away from a guy like Shaw who would probably fit in better in terms of running a similar power style offense. I don't follow the Saints much so I can't really evaluate him all that well but I like the style and I like the guys he's learned from. Adam Gase is another guy who might fit the bill, I don't think he's quite ready to take the reigns just yet but he looks like a guy that could definitely be a candidate down the road if he can shake the "good because of Manning" stigma.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Bill Cowher. ENOUGH SAID.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I like Horton too. But he is the EXACT opposite of Fraizer. Dont know if this team is ready for a HC that might actually yell at them for screwing up.
New team...
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mike Zimmer or Ray Horton are my choices. These guys deserve to be head coaches. Zimmmer would be the better choice for the defense now, but Horton could probably build us into a mean attacking 3-4 or even an attacking 4-3.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

King James wrote:Bill Cowher. ENOUGH SAID.
Yeah I hope they get someone with some real head coaching experience who knows how to put together an organization and has been part of a successful one in a top role.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mrc44 wrote:Gruden already said he will not be coaching in 2014.
...he did? :x
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

MelanieMFunk wrote: ...he did? :x
Unless he gets enough money and is in full control of draft picks/personnel decisions. He would do it for that. His ego is too big not to.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

I'd take any solid OC/HC which are willing to adapt their style/specialty to the new QB. We can't have someone who forces their styles/schemes on potentially elite players other than linemen. The NFL doesn't work that way anymore.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

NextQuestion wrote:1.) Why aren't we canning him now?
because we're a terrible team in a terrible town with terrible owners and a terrible stadium and terrible fans. :lol:
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Phil Mackey @PhilMackey

Interesting that Jon Gruden says he doesn't see the value in playing Tampa-2 defense anymore.

Gruden to Wilf: "Pay me a lot of money (which Wilf would do), let me pick the drafted QB, and I will make sure the Tampa 2 is not allowed in our defense."

*Evil Zygi grin*

Zygi: "Deal."

:clap:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:What purpose does firing Frazier now serve? So the interim guy can go 3-0 and get hired full time like Frazier did?
Proves a point. Just because the interim guy isn't going to be the next HC means nothing. Fraizer hasn't learned from a single mistake hes made. he repeats them. Repeatedly.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

I would love to see Cower or Gruden come in here and get away from this idea that a head coach needs to be the players best friend. I really dont give a #### if he is a nice guy or not. I just want a coach that can utilize talent, make adjustments to a game plan and is'nt afraid to play to win in sted of always playing not to lose.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

radar55 wrote:I would love to see Cower or Gruden come in here and get away from this idea that a head coach needs to be the players best friend. I really dont give a #### if he is a nice guy or not. I just want a coach that can utilize talent, make adjustments to a game plan and is'nt afraid to play to win in sted of always playing not to lose.
I don't think that it's fair to say that Frazier tries to be every players' "best friend." From what I can tell, Frazier has earned the respect of his locker room (don't include Harvin in this b/c that dude is a punk anyway). I don't think there's anything wrong with Frazier telling his players how proud he is of them and that there are reasons to keep fighting even in a miserable season like this - look at how quickly the Texans imploded. They're not even competitive anymore. The Vikings have had tons of close games that they've blown; however, his team is still fighting to the end, and I think that's the mark of a good coach.

At the end of the day, I know I'll get lambasted for believing this, but I would love to see Frazier return as HC with an entirely different staff and upgraded defense. I think that the sky is the limit for Frazier given the right situation. But hey, I'm not dumb enough to think that the chances that Frazier returns are anything more than slim to none. I just have a lot of respect for the guy, and I think he's a fine example for anyone in any profession to follow. We need more professionals like Leslie Frazier in the world.
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Vincent Vega
Rookie

Post by Vincent Vega »

Isn't there some Green Bay cast off the Vikings could grab? It's worked so well getting every player that the Packers no longer want. What's Mike Holmgren doing now?