Bears @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MontVikeFan
Rookie

Re: Bears @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

Post by MontVikeFan »

I'm starting to think that NOBODY in the NFL wants the first overall pick!
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

MontVikeFan wrote:I'm starting to think that NOBODY in the NFL wants the first overall pick!
Exactly. They all play to win. Anything else is pure folly, an exercise for myopic fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

tmscr wrote: I will give the Vikings the benefit of the doubt and say they picked the guy who performed better in camp. Cassel was probably not going to start regardless. However, Cassel didn't do enough to lose the job after the Panthers game (see how well they're doing now). The Freeman signing was a total waste. Cassel should have been the QB for the Giants game, and ever since then. He's obviously better than Ponder. Not a great talent, but certainly competent enough to give the Vikings a chance to be competitive in most games.
Whoever the QB on this team is it is very difficult to pull out wins with the worst defense that I have ever seen a Viking team have. And yes Cassel played a great game. I couldn't careless if it is Cassel, Ponder, Freeman or an unknown as long as the team wins that is all that matters to me.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

I am glad we managed to win inspite of ourselves. There were mistakes all around, but in the end we got the W.

BTW, we are holding the #1 spot in one stat...but may have blown that. We averaged, prior to this game, 32 points allowed. That's #1 in the league. Now where's the smilie with it's tongue sticking out?
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

CalVike wrote: Exactly. They all play to win. Anything else is pure folly, an exercise for myopic fans.

So tired of hearing about the draft. Players aren't going to tank it, ever, because their jobs are constantly being evaluated. Fans who want losses such find other hobbies aside from sports. Makes me irate.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I like how Frazier calls them "routine throws," even though Ponder rarely even SEES them, let alone make them.
Wow. I thought Frazier would wait until at least Wednesday to start leaning toward Ponder as the starter.

Blackmail must be in play here. Compromising photos, perhaps?
Yea Frazier is being pretty condescending of the fan base and his players saying Cassels throws were routine , when Ponder couldn't even get the freakin ball off without taking a sack . I have zero respect for LF and hope that he is done here in Minnesota .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Was anyone else a little bit excited to have won for all intents and purposes, but then still end up with an L for better draft position?
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Lash Man wrote: Yea Frazier is being pretty condescending of the fan base and his players saying Cassels throws were routine , when Ponder couldn't even get the freakin ball off without taking a sack . I have zero respect for LF and hope that he is done here in Minnesota .
You may be right, but I think you may be reading to much into the use of the word "routine." Listening to Frazier post game he sounded really happy with Cassel's performance. Speculating now, but I imagine any NFL coach reviewing the tape will recognize Cassel in the 2nd half & OT did far more than Ponder in the 1st half, not just in the tangibles like yardage and third down completion percentage (remembering Ponder was sacked on three third downs early) but also on the types of throws, with Cassel routinely completing the throws Ponder misses or more likely fails to attempt, recognizing Cassel is far from perfect still a big step up today from Ponder. No way Ponder starts next week on merit. But he still may start.

tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

The field seems to be wide open when Cassel is at QB. The playbook opens up too. Now, the offensive line was pitiful in the first half, but I've seen enough of Cassel to say he is clearly the better option at QB. I feel for Ponder. He's a gamer and is giving his best. Don't like seeing him get knocked around like he was today.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

tmscr wrote:The field seems to be wide open when Cassel is at QB. The playbook opens up too. Now, the offensive line was pitiful in the first half, but I've seen enough of Cassel to say he is clearly the better option at QB. I feel for Ponder. He's a gamer and is giving his best. Don't like seeing him get knocked around like he was today.
Receivers seem open, too. Because he has the confidence to fire the ball on slants and midrange routes. Jennings, Wright and Carlson suddenly appeared in the box score where Ponder only had eyes for Simpson.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

If Ponder starts next week, especially considering he sustained a concussion today, I would fully support a player walk out.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

808vikingsfan wrote: I don't feel bad for him at all. He's had way too many chances to succeed with this team and has let the team down every time. He gets knocked around for a reason.
What's he supposed to do? Ask not to be put in the game? Does he hold on to the ball for too long sometimes? Absolutely. But the offensive line play was terrible during the first half. Couldn't pick up a blitz all half. As I said, I don't believe he should start any more games, but aside from quitting, I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

tmscr wrote: What's he supposed to do? Ask not to be put in the game? Does he hold on to the ball for too long sometimes? Absolutely. But the offensive line play was terrible during the first half. Couldn't pick up a blitz all half. As I said, I don't believe he should start any more games, but aside from quitting, I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do.
When 9 guys are up on the line, he's supposed to find an open receiver. He kept taking sacks because he can't see the field properly.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

On another note, the officiating was not good today. The taunting penalty against the Bears was utter nonsense. The Bears actually caught a break there. Thankfully, the crew got together and picked up the late hit flag against the Vikings in OT because that probably would have ended it. There are too many officials changing (or almost changing) the outcome of games with totally subjective ticky tack calls. That was a facemask on Ellison on the FG, but how many times is it called? I don't think I've ever seen a facemask on a FG attempt?
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Boon wrote:he doesnt use his line. he steps into pressure or runs prematurely, its his fault
Again, I'm not absolving him totally. I just saw Bears blitzing right through the line all half. You see how the Bears handled our pressure? McCown was hardly touched for most of the game.