Am I the only one excited about a potential 1-15 season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Am I the only one excited about a potential 1-15 season?

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm not excited.

If we were gauranteed an all-world quarterback as a result then yes, but nothing will convince this team knows how to recognize and evaluate quarterbacks the correct way.

All a bad record is good for is hopefully getting a last place schedule. Minnesota should be in the playoffs next year if they can find a quarterback.
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

Purpnation wrote:The Colts were a team set up, and built around their FRANCHISE QB Peyton Manning, when he got injured, they had to rely on a guy who was about the farthest thing from a franchise QB, people act is if Andrew Luck did some amazing feat by getting the Colts back to playoffs, but really, all they needed was a QB.

They were a finely tuned automobile that for one year, lacked an engine, by drafting Andrew Luck they got said engine, and now its clear they are one of the best teams in the league.

We on the other hand are FAR from what the colts are, put Andrew Luck on this team and we still most likely just and 8 -8 team.
I don't quite get your argument. You're saying Luck didn't do anything special but made ALL the difference in a team going from 2-14 to 11-5! But you're then saying that an elite QB won't make that much difference for the Vikings because they have so many more holes than the Colts had. I couldn't disagree with that more.

First of all, you go 2-14 QB is not your ONLY problem. An elite QB - not a good one - like Peyton, Rodgers, Brady or Brees can make other holes on a team seem much, much smaller. You got a shot at a guy you think will be like that, you do not pass on him. I don't care how many other holes the team has. They become much easier to fill once you've got the right "engine" as you say.

If the Vikings end up picking in the top 2 or 3 spots, they HAVE to take a QB. Unless they believe there is no franchise "Luck" type guy there like in last year's draft.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I think you'd have to be absolutely nuts or hate yourself to be excited about a potential 1-15 season. I think what you mean is, should we go 1-15, is anyone else excited about the teams future potential.

In that case I'll be excited for the draft and the potential of our future picks. That also probably means new coaches which also can be exciting depending on how that process goes. I've really soured on Spielman lately and because the Wilfs put a lot of faith in him I think he'll still be here so that puts a bit of a damper on it for sure. The next best thing if we can't get rid of Spielman would be to let him hire his own coaches and see what he can do. That's simply because as much as I'm down on Spielman, I'm not sure the Wilfs couldn't do worse if they're the ones who have to go out and find this new GM we need.

At that point we'd have no one else to blame because at the end of the day, every important decision would ultimately lead directly back to spielman. Coach sucks? Who brought the coach? etc. But we need that unity between GM and coaches to stop getting square peg / round hole players / systems, a shared vision of the team that we some how lost along the way this season. I think Spielmans as much to blame for that as Frazier but like I said, I think he'll be staying...
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Despite the potential reward, it is not in me, nor should it be in anyone to be excited about being a loser.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If we can get Bridgewater.

Any fan should be for whatever is best for the team. 1 win and a top flight QB prospect is best for the team.....
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Ok well, Clowney then?

Mariota. :lol:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:If we can get Bridgewater.

Any fan should be for whatever is best for the team. 1 win and a top flight QB prospect is best for the team.....
So bench everyone right?
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

"It'll get worse before it gets better"- Dalton, Roadhouse. As much as I understand the logic behind throwing a season, it's just not in me, it's not how I want to improve. You almost have to have the "if it happens, THEN I'll get excited for the future" mindset. But I couldn't ever cheer for my team to lose ahead of time or in the moment. But at the end of every season when we end up with an average record that takes us nowhere and an average draft pick just short of grabbing someone elite, I do always wish we had lost more games, so I definitely understand the logic.
radar55
All Pro Elite Player

Post by radar55 »

Orion wrote: please if the vikings had gotten peyton manning we would have 5+ wins.
that's pretty funny........would he have played corner or safety
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

It's funny how people are automatically assuming that the Vikings will go QB in the first round. I say if Chicago doesn't extend Jay Cutler's contract, we should go after him. We need to fix other areas before we get to QB, in my opinion. We need a DB, LB, DT, G, and RT in my opinion. UNLESS................we're going after AJ McCarron then hell yes we need to draft him. But the safest bet is Cutler.

He's pretty good when healthy.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

JEC334 wrote:It's funny how people are automatically assuming that the Vikings will go QB in the first round. I say if Chicago doesn't extend Jay Cutler's contract, we should go after him. We need to fix other areas before we get to QB, in my opinion. We need a DB, LB, DT, G, and RT in my opinion. UNLESS................we're going after AJ McCarron then hell yes we need to draft him. But the safest bet is Cutler.

He's pretty good when healthy.
No, no, NO!

I know we have had to deal with some #### #### QBs here, so our perception on what a good QB is may be a bit off, but Cutler is NOT it.

Aside from the fact that this dude is getting up there in age (Not old, but not young enough to be considered a Franchise QB for a team he just signed with.), and the fact that the guy is constantly getting injured, he has NEVER produced when it REALLY mattered.

1 Postseason appearance in his whole career should say it all in my opinion, its not like this dude has been stuck with awful teams since he's been drafted, the guy simply cant get it done. His 1 playoff win was against the 7-9 Seahawks, then the next week, the dude goes to the NFCCG on his homefield and competely BLOWS all the way up until he got injured, in fact, the luckiest thing that could happened to the Bears that whole game was that Cutler got injured and had to be taken out of the game, Hanie certainly isn't some beast, but he damn sure played alot better the Jay did.

The guy has a strong arm and a modicum of mobility, aside from that, he has ZERO qualities you look for in a Franchise QB. And to top it all off, he cannot beat the Packers to save his life.

Ill pass on Jeff George 2.0
Last edited by Purpnation on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Purpnation wrote: No, no, NO!

I know we have had to deal with some #### #### QBs here, so our perception on what a good QB is may be a bit off, but Cutler is NOT it.

Aside from the fact that this dude is getting up there in age (Not old, but not young enough to be considered a Franchise QB for a team he just signed with.), and the fact that the guy is constantly getting injured, he has NEVER produced when it REALLY mattered.

1 Postseason appearance in his whole career should say it all in my opinion, its not like this dude has been stuck with awful teams since he's been drafted, the guy simply cant get it done. His 1 playoff win was against the 7-9 Seahawks, then the next week, the dude goes to the NFCCG on his homefield and competely BLOWS all the way up until he got injured, in fact, the luckiest thing that could happened to the Bears that whole game was that Cutler got injured and had to be taken out of the game, Hanie certainly isn't some beast, but he damn sure played alot better the Jay did.

The guy has a strong arm and a modicum of mobility, aside from that, he has ZERO qualities you look for in a Franchise QB. And to top it all off, he cannot beat the Packers to save his life.

Ill pass on Jeff George 2.0
He's much better than our 3 QBs right now and knows how to win. I think the biggest problem with Culter is staying healthy. But I really think the team will be taking too many steps back trying to draft another QB so soon. We've been the past decade looking for a QB and because of it we allowed other positions (LB, CB, DT, OL, S) to deteriorate. We need Cutler in as a short term solution so we can build a decent team around him, then draft a QB when we have a solid team.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:Looking over the remaining schedule and considering the way we been playing, 1-15 looks to be a very real possibility, more likely than not. I won't appreciate it until draft time, maybe!
We'll beat Chicago and Detroit at home. Idk about more than that though.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

We beat the Steelers, so I have a little bragging rights over my father. But no I don't believe in playing to lose. People need to stop assuming that just because you get a high draft pick automatically means we are gonna find a player to turn things around. History has shown that the Vikings are no strangers in screwing up first round picks anyway. We may just reach for another QB again like we did for Ponder.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

JEC334 wrote: People need to stop assuming that just because you get a high draft pick automatically means we are gonna find a player to turn things around.
This is true. If a high draft pick automatically panned out, the Lions should have won 3-4 Super Bowls by now.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!