This photo of Matt Birk makes me uncomfortable

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: This photo of Matt Birk makes me uncomfortable

Post by Funkytown »

indianation65 wrote:I'm guessing you cats have seen former Viking Brad Culpepper currently on Survivor. He lost a lot of weight and rallies against carrying too much. If this has been mentioned in another section apologies.

Addendum: His wife is on the show as well. I'm very glad!

...wisdom
Interesting. Oddly enough, this initially reminded me of before/after photos of people on Survivor. :)
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

...seriously?

It. Was. A. Joke.

I'm very much female. How many men do you know who have the name MELANIE?!?!? Can you find me five in the history of the world?

Apparently people didn't get the joke. I thought the fact that I am female added to the joke. Guess not.

At least S197 got it. Dude must have an ounce of funny to him. :D Wait, you're a guy, right? I always thought you were. ;)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MelanieMFunk wrote:...seriously?

It. Was. A. Joke.

I'm very much female. How many men do you know who have the name MELANIE?!?!? Can you find me five in the history of the world?

Apparently people didn't get the joke. I thought the fact that I am female added to the joke. Guess not.

At least S197 got it. Dude must have an ounce of funny to him. :D Wait, you're a guy, right? I always thought you were. ;)
I was kidding :lol:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: I was kidding :lol:
I figured. It was just easier to reply to both. :D
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Wow that does really look like a Photoshop job.
But too lose that and turn it into muscle is quite the accomplishment.
I always hoped he would come back to MN in some form of a coach. He had a lot of roots here at one time.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

indianation65 wrote:I'm guessing you cats have seen former Viking Brad Culpepper currently on Survivor. He lost a lot of weight and rallies against carrying too much. If this has been mentioned in another section apologies.

Addendum: His wife is on the show as well. I'm very glad!

...wisdom
Yep, I have seen him. I had not realized that he played for a couple of seasons w/ the Vikings. Dude weighed 280? Dropped 100 bills after retiring. That's awesome. The NFL body type is unhealthy and a very odd ideal in our society, especially as one ages, as Breeze points out.

If Birk's motive is to bring attention to this fact, then great! All for it. But I've always detected a certain smugness w/ him that rubs me the wrong way. Like I mentioned upthread, he might well be a super cool cat in person, but he just comes off a bit arrogant in the media.

RE: Rick Flair! Funny!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

MelanieMFunk wrote:It. Was. A. Joke.

Unfortunately, there are _many_ women in the US with offensive lineman bodies.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I read this several time and kept registering it as the recent former Vikings' QB. And frankly, found it very hard to believe. I'm betting Daunte is walking (sitting?) around now at 300+ lbs.

Birk probably has an IQ of about 150. What _I_ really want to see is some typical retired NFL bonehead with an IQ of 80 do the same thing. Post back here when Bryant McKinnie weighs 250 lbs.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Eli wrote:Unfortunately, there are _many_ women in the US with offensive lineman bodies.
:lol: Big people need lovin' too! But, that's not as bad as the facial hair. That's the worst.

Anyways, good for Birk for losing the weight. It is a little shocking, though. Especially since he's trying to sexify--or something. :)
Captain
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Captain »

MelanieMFunk wrote:
...seriously?

It. Was. A. Joke.

Lol holy crap! I got the joke, I was just joking on top of your joking! :vike:

...So when we gettin' your "transformation" pictures? :D
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Lol holy crap! I got the joke, I was just joking on top of your joking! :vike:

...So when we gettin' your "transformation" pictures? :D
Sure ya did. :D

And I'll send those right out. Right after I do my "Insanity" program. 5 times. :)

PS Sorry for the bit of defensiveness. It annoys me when people can't tell I'm a female online. (It does happen. It has on here.) My name is right there. I don't have some random neutral name. Some people don't get it, and I don't have a ton of patience for blatant stupidity. :) I thought you were another one. My bad.

:govikes:
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

Melanie, I got the joke. Boys can be so silly sometimes!

There is something off about the 2nd picture. Not sure if it's photoshopped, but his skin looks too old for 37. I understand losing 75 lbs may leave you a bit 'off' in the skin department, but his forearms especially look strange. And I'm sure he doesn't have to go to the gym, he probably has all the equipment in the comfort of his own home!

No matter what, I wish the man well. He was a good, solid player for us for many years and I don't begrudge him going after his ring. It is the Holy Grail for these guys.
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

A lot of Lineman have trouble in the NFL KEEPING their weight UP. Good for him :thumbsup: bet he lives longer
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

S197 wrote:Glad he's in great shape but yeah that photo is a little weird. Kinda reminds me of Rick Flair.
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! TO BE THE BIRK, WHOOOOOO, YOU'VE GOT TO BEAT THE BIRK!!!

Jeff Saturday also lost a ton of weight as well. It just proves that the body isn't meant to carry that much weight. With Birk and his back problems and all the other injuries, the weight loss helps...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »