Ponder VS a Real QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Ponder VS a Real QB

Post by Crax »

TheFoxInDetox wrote: So, according to your theory, the Vikings are just a great QB away from being a superbowl favorite?
Would you consider our defense and o-line half decent currently? I'm not sure.
TheFoxInDetox
Veteran

Post by TheFoxInDetox »

I do believe that all the pieces are half decent. All except QB.

I've said it before, Ponder and his inept QB play are dragging everybody down. Keeping the D on the field too long, giving the opponents short fields, allowing 9 men in the box and not punishing them through the air, ect.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Eli wrote: A half-decent defense, half-decent offensive line, half-decent running backs, half-decent receivers, and the best QB who's ever played the game.

It's not a difficult equation.
Best regular season QB maybe, subpar in the post season. Total package I still see Montana as the best ever. it is impossible to judge and compare this era to any other, the rules are so skewed in the QBs favor now. Which makes our guy look even worse, add in defenses cheating 9 guys up for the run, makes it pathetic.

You put Montana, Elway, Fouts etc... in this era, they would be putting up massive numbers too. That Chargers offense in the early 80s, Fouts might drop 6k yards and 60 TDs on it. Think what Marino would do with these rules, I shudder. Imagine the Vikings with Marino and AP in this era, put 9 men in the box, I double dare ya. Adrian vs 5 - 6 man fronts, please.

That is why 5 years ago this team had to find a star at QB, Adrians career has been wasted, and he will go down as the best never to play in a Super Bowl.
This space available for rent.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

Halo I'm afraid you may be correct. Sad.

I don't think here is any doubt that the QB position is the most important position on the field. You can win a Superbowl with a mediocre QB but you have to have a devastating defense to do it. If you don't you need a great QB. We have a below average QB and have no hope of winning the big one at his current play level. Our receivers have improved a lot over last year our passing game has improved because of it. I don't really see an improvement in Ponder himself. Let's ride this out turn him loose let him play it out and by the end of the year we will have such a definitive body of work that it will be undeniable what we have to do.

I just pray that we can find a QB in the draft to build our team around.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Crax wrote: Would you consider our defense and o-line half decent currently? I'm not sure.
You know, it's interesting -- Manning is playing with a 3rd-string center and a backup left tackle, yet he's putting up video-game numbers.

He's pretty good.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:You know, it's interesting -- Manning is playing with a 3rd-string center and a backup left tackle, yet he's putting up video-game numbers.

He's pretty good.
News at 11. ;)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote:
LOL!

I wouldn't trade the whole team. He wouldn't look so good playing 1-on-11.
I'd taking Manning and 10 average players over Ponder and 10 pro bowlers...
majorm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by majorm »

NextQuestion wrote:I think Pete Prisco said it last night on Twitter...

"Manning doesn't beat you with his arm. Beats you with his brain".
But the arm is pretty good too.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Demi wrote: I'd taking Manning and 10 average players over Ponder and 10 pro bowlers...
So would everybody else here :smilevike:
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Terrelle Pryor looked better than Ponder, while his Raiders were getting stomped into the ground by Manning's Broncos. There was a play Monday night in which Pryor was being rushed be a Bronco DE. He stepped up to avoid the pass rusher by a fraction of an inch. A split second later a DT was bullrushing a guard deep into the backfield and into his lap, so he calmly stepped to his left, then stepped up into a disintegrating pocket and fired a strike 20 yards downfield. If we ever see Ponder do that it will be a career highlight.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

TheFoxInDetox wrote:Seriously. We don't belong in the same league.
Ha, that's funny because that was exactly my thought every time the Broncos had the ball. I literally said we don't belong in the same league. I mean our team looks bad and our coaches seem lost as it is, then you watch the Broncos and it makes it seem so much worse lol.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
TheFoxInDetox
Veteran

Post by TheFoxInDetox »

Eli wrote:Terrelle Pryor looked better than Ponder
That's what I kept telling myself during that game. Pryor actually looks like he could be the real deal. I'd trade Ponder and a 3rd for him in a heartbeat.