State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I'm waiting for the "Bishop cancelling KC visit" post.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'll take the younger LB who has actually won a super bowl.
Thanks to his offense. Unlike the other guy who was in a super bowl despite his offense.
Urlacher was done
And like I said, had as many INTs as Bishop in his career. And only 2 fewer passes defended. Because he actually has the ability to drop into coverage in the cover 2. Unlike Bishop who's going to be another touchdown, third down allowing, liability in coverage like the two guys that came before him.

Hopefully they let him visit the Chiefs we don't need his kind around here. Already have too many old beat up players with injury issues. Don't need another, much less one with a questionable skill set for the defense. Don't do it Spielman!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:And like I said, had as many INTs as Bishop in his career. And only 2 fewer passes defended. Because he actually has the ability to drop into coverage in the cover 2.
He had that ability. His ability to run had significantly deteriorated, which is why he received a low offer from the Bears and is now retired.
Already have too many old beat up players with injury issues.
... and yet you still wanted Urlacher and still defend that position. :rofl:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He had that ability.
I am referring to his statistics last season when he apparently didn't have those abilities. And still managed similar pass defense stats to what Bishop has managed his entire career. There skill sets are completely different, and Urlacher, even the shell of his former self that he is, has a better skill set and would fit better in this defense.

Which is why I continue to defend that position. It was a unique situation with a talent that was perfect for the system and brought a number of intangibles along as well.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: I am referring to his statistics last season when he apparently didn't have those abilities. And still managed similar pass defense stats to what Bishop has managed his entire career.
... and you think those stats tell enough of the story?
There skill sets are completely different, and Urlacher, even the shell of his former self that he is, has a better skill set and would fit better in this defense.
Yes, he did have a better skill set but he didn't have the athletic ability you continually insist is necessary for the job. I'm well aware of his skills, knowledge and experience but he's exactly the kind of player you constantly say the Vikings shouldn't sign: a player well past his prime who can't run enough to make those deep drops and pursue to the edges. If he could still do that, he'd be starting for the Bears again this season.

The prototypical MLB for a cover 2 defense is difficult to find and there don't seem to be any candidates immediately available. Consequently, the Vikes have to do what they can to fill the position as well as possible. That may involve tweaking their schemes a little or signing a player without the ideal skill set and athleticism for the job.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote:
The prototypical MLB for a cover 2 defense is difficult to find and there don't seem to be any candidates immediately available.
And it seems like some of the best at it are converted safties, including Urlacher.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

I've yet to read any of the "I'm the mike" quotes from Henderson, regarding Bishop's visit, but if Bishop is healed and wants to be here sounds like it could really ruffle some feathers. I think it would be a great pickup for us in general due to the lack of depth there...
He may not be the ideal MLB for our scheme, but we only have one guy who is better than him as far as LBs go.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:I've yet to read any of the "I'm the mike" quotes from Henderson, regarding Bishop's visit, but if Bishop is healed and wants to be here sounds like it could really ruffle some feathers. I think it would be a great pickup for us in general due to the lack of depth there...
He may not be the ideal MLB for our scheme, but we only have one guy who is better than him as far as LBs go.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... g-the-mike
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Funny cause I wound up reading that exact story after I made my post. If Bishop is signed and Henderson is edgy it might actually work in the Vikings favor. Nothing like having guys on the field who feel they have something to prove.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Desmond Bishop - LB - Free Agent

Vikings DC Alan Williams termed the team's workout of free agent ILB Desmond Bishop as "due diligence."

Bishop left his Tuesday tryout without a contract. He'll now head to Kansas City on Thursday, and perhaps Jacksonville at some point down the road. Provided he's healthy — Bishop was still limited in Packers minicamp as he made his way back from a ruptured hamstring — he should have little trouble finding a new home before camp.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Desmond Bishop - LB - Free Agent

Vikings DC Alan Williams termed the team's workout of free agent ILB Desmond Bishop as "due diligence."

Bishop left his Tuesday tryout without a contract. He'll now head to Kansas City on Thursday, and perhaps Jacksonville at some point down the road. Provided he's healthy — Bishop was still limited in Packers minicamp as he made his way back from a ruptured hamstring — he should have little trouble finding a new home before camp.
That must mean that he isn't healthy, right?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Desmond Bishop - LB - Free Agent

LMAO.

Erin's #### must have spooked the coaching staff into deciding against Bishop. This sucks ####. Whoever signs Bishop is getting a great linebacker.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:LMAO.

Erin's #### must have spooked the coaching staff into deciding against Bishop. This sucks ####. Whoever signs Bishop is getting a great linebacker.
You can't be serious. There's no way Henderson is capable of "spooking" Spielman and the coaching staff into passing up a player if they wanted to sign him. That's absurd.

Maybe Bishop's workout didn't impress them. Maybe they aren't convinced regarding his health or perhaps HE decided he wants to explore his options before making a decision. Just because he left town, it doesn't mean he won't end up a Viking. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's because Erin Henderson spooked the coaching staff.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: You can't be serious. There's no way Henderson is capable of "spooking" Spielman and the coaching staff into passing up a player if they wanted to sign him. That's absurd.

Maybe Bishop's workout didn't impress them. Maybe they aren't convinced regarding his health or perhaps HE decided he wants to explore his options before making a decision. Just because he left town, it doesn't mean he won't end up a Viking. Whatever the reason, I doubt it's because Erin Henderson spooked the coaching staff.
Wow I am never totally amazed by some of the absurd crap that some "fans" come up with but that statement about Henderson "spooking" The Vikings away from signing Bishop is unbelievable :roll: :rofl:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

An interesting read. Shows about 50% chance of a good return to play from the injury. I think. Use you own judgment.

http://www.amjorthopedics.com/PDF/042060038.pdf
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966