Well that wasnt fun!

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Well that wasnt fun!

Post by VikingMachine »

Not sure what hit us last night but it damn near tore the roof off the house and caused alot of destruction. We lost 2 great big beautiful trees, our garage, roof, siding, trampoline, deck furnature and plenty more. We had our new baby kitten on the deck in its kennel. I went out after the worst of it and found him safe and sound in his kennel 75 feet from where we left him out in the front yard. My 4-wheeler is under a wall from the garage so no idea what kinda shape thats in...

Here are some pictures:

Check out our flagpole bent to the ground right at the base:

glg
Site Admin

Re: Well that wasnt fun!

Post by glg »

Yow. Looks like you lost a bunch of shingles on the house. Is the red pickup okay? Looks like maybe it got lucky and you'll be able to saw it out of there relatively unharmed. Glad the kitten was okay.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Where do you live?

Glad the kitty was ok, must have scared the crap out of him!! Glad you guys are ok too. I hope everything works out well for you guys!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Where do you live?

Glad the kitty was ok, must have scared the crap out of him!! Glad you guys are ok too. I hope everything works out well for you guys!!
Thanks for the well wishes guys!

We live near Park Rapids MN. I havent heard of anyone else getting hit like us other than the people that live about a half mile behind us, they lost their outbuilding like we did our garage.

Our other 2 cats live outside/inside and they go out at night. They were in that garage that was destroyed and I was pretty worried that they didnt make it but about an hour after the storm or whatever it was, they both came up to the house. They are both alive and seem to be ok but they looked like hell when they came up. They were both completely soaked and if you own a cat you know that they dont allow themselves to get wet if at all possible.

Looks like our insurance is gonna do right by us so thats nice but what a freakin mess to clean up!!!!
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Thank goodness everyone made it through ok, Chris. Stuff can be replaced. Glad no one was injured.
Mike

Sackmeifyoucan
Veteran

Post by Sackmeifyoucan »

We live near Park Rapids MN. I havent heard of anyone else getting hit like us other than the people that live about a half mile behind us, they lost their outbuilding like we did our garage.
WOW!
That is some wild stuff!
Glad you are all alright.

Do you know a Brian Forsberg from Park Rapids by chance?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

wow

I am glad everyone is okay in your family. Sorry that happened to you as well.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
TrenchGoon
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by TrenchGoon »

Glad you are all alright. Must have been exciting. Glad to hear insurance is going to help out too. That makes a big differences...makes it a lot less stressful. And if you are a handy man type you can fix the stuff yourself after you get a bid for insurance and come out of it pretty well.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Sackmeifyoucan wrote: WOW!
That is some wild stuff!
Glad you are all alright.

Do you know a Brian Forsberg from Park Rapids by chance?
Actually that name sounds familiar but i cant place it.
John
Bartender/Retired

Post by John »

I'm glad everyone is alright.

Looks like you might have had straight line winds. We had the same about 16-17 years ago and our flag pole looked just like yours. We also lost the roofs on the house and garage and lost 40 trees in that storm.

Cleaning up the mess isn't fun, buy a back brace now. :wink:
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Have to agree with John on the cleaning up. I am just finishing the last of the repairs
from our January storm.

Seeing the roof materials on the lawn brings back memories. I sat there and stared at them
for the longest time and thought Oh Boy. Actually the Insurance company was great we got a
check for a new roof and fence repairs within a week.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Colinito
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Colinito »

Damn man, sorry about that. I hope everything's alright, and I'm glad you didn't lose any lives/pets. This thread certainly didn't encourage me to move to Minneapolis, however, which is something I'm thinking about. LA it is. Now if we could just get the Vikings there... :) Just kidding, don't taze me bro.
VikingMachine
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingMachine »

Colinito wrote:#### man, sorry about that. I hope everything's alright, and I'm glad you didn't lose any lives/pets. This thread certainly didn't encourage me to move to Minneapolis, however, which is something I'm thinking about. LA it is. Now if we could just get the Vikings there... :) Just kidding, don't taze me bro.
I would take some straight line winds over earthquakes anyday. I do have to say though, after visiting California, I would seriously consider moving there if the cost of living wasnt so rediculous.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Glad to hear everyone is ok. The house looks like it withstood the wind. That flagpole, though... wow!

I remember summer vacations at Timberlane Lodge on Long Lake up in Park Rapids when I was a wee one. Crossing the Mississippi at Lake Itasca was SO cool! So were the burial mounds. Beautiful area up there.

BGM
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Good to hear all are well. Kinda reminds me of what my place looked liked after the 2nd hurricane in 2004. Only we had a bit more damage. We had telephone poles snapped off at the base. The only thing holding them up was the wires. I'll take a Tornado over a hurricane any day. You have less notice but you also have less time to worry about it. With a hurrricane its 5 days of wondering and then after, if you left, its a day or two before you get back and you stll don't know.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966