Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by dead_poet »

7/29
@MasterStrib Zimmer: "[Danielle Hunter] is a lot less raw than we thought." seem impressed with him so far.
-- interesting....
@christomasson Mike Zimmer said it's a "pretty good battle'' between Cullen Loeffler and Kevin McDermott for the long snapper job.
@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer: "Were going to push (Anthony Barr) more today, accelerate his conditioning." #Vikings
@christomasson Mike Zimmer said he thinks Antone Exum has improved a lot and become more of a professional in his second year.
@christomasson Mike Zimmer when I asked him about Teddy Bridgewater moving forward: "My expectations are higher than anybody else's.''
@MasterStrib Zimmer said press coverage for both corners and WRs was hit and miss. There will be an extra period on press coverage at practice #Vikings
@Andrew_Krammer Zimmer on Patterson: "He's been impressive. I can't tell if he's turned a corner, but I think he's rounding one."
-- good news
‏@christomasson Mike Zimmer figures wide receiver Stefon Diggs could contribute a lot as a rookie. He's having a good camp.
-- nice
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
denburch
All Pro Elite Player

Post by denburch »

dead_poet wrote:7/29
-- interesting.... -- good news -- nice
Love it!
It's time to take back what was rightfully ours in '98....and '09!!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Andrew_Krammer Another tidbit from Zimmer: #Vikings want to start working on deep ball more, timing routes have been focal point of passing in practice.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The more I think about it... why not bring in Vick for backup qb position. Even it is for camp only to see what he has left. I have heard the backup qbs have looked terrible so far, Vick could offer veteran leadership and might teach teddy a thing or two. You can't tell me that our backup qbs right now are better than him...... and he would be pretty cheap I think.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Norv Zimmer wrote:The more I think about it... why not bring in Vick for backup qb position. Even it is for camp only to see what he has left. I have heard the backup qbs have looked terrible so far, Vick could offer veteran leadership and might teach teddy a thing or two. You can't tell me that our backup qbs right now are better than him...... and he would be pretty cheap I think.
I agree and have said so. If Teddy goes down, then with the current backups, the season is flushed down the toilet :(
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple bruise wrote: I agree and have said so. If Teddy goes down, then with the current backups, the season is flushed down the toilet :(
I'm not sure Vick would be much of an upgrade as a passer.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The more I think about it... why not bring in Vick for backup qb position. Even it is for camp only to see what he has left. I have heard the backup qbs have looked terrible so far, Vick could offer veteran leadership and might teach teddy a thing or two. You can't tell me that our backup qbs right now are better than him...... and he would be pretty cheap I think.
NO!!!

Vick does not want to be a backup.

Vick couldn't win the starting job with the Jets over a poor QB.

Vick admitted he didn't stay sharp and focus on helping the team, in the back up role.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Having a good day today: Tyrus Thompson, Patterson, Bridgewater, Griffen, Kendricks, CJ, Hunter (getting some work with the 1s), Rudolph, Wallace, Diggs, Crichton

Not so hot: Bykowski, Kalil, Waynes, Shepherd, Kafka, Heinicke
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Not liking the tweets I'm seeing about Kalil.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Having a good day today: Tyrus Thompson, Patterson, Bridgewater, Griffen, Kendricks, CJ, Hunter (getting some work with the 1s), Rudolph, Wallace, Diggs, Crichton

Not so hot: Bykowski, Kalil, Waynes, Shepherd, Kafka, Heinicke
Is this personal observation? Of just a feel from all the information coming out of camp..

Norv eluded too Harris as the starter at guard more than anyone else?

Norv also was very pleased with Zach Line and said Pruitt could play at FB as well ...
Norv didn't mention Asiata in that role or any other player.
Norv also seemed pretty high on Chase Ford and said we wouldn't have won two
games, without Ford last season.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Is this personal observation? Of just a feel from all the information coming out of camp..

Norv eluded too Harris as the starter at guard more than anyone else?
Tweets from beat writers watching.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

I don't think Harris is any good so hopefully one of the young guys steps up and beats him out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ArifHasanNFL Surprising work by Babs, did better than I expected. Still not great.
@eric_j_thompson @PAOnTheMic made a great call this afternoon: watch out for Trae Waynes, special team ace this year. Perfect skill set for a ST gunner.
@Andrew_Krammer Been watching DL/OL drills most of today's practice. Solid outings for Austin Shepherd, Phil Loadholt. Clemmings, Fusco uneven.
@ArifHasanNFL DL OL one on ones concluded. Good: Tyrus Thompson, Crichton, Hunter, Robison, Loadholt, Linval Joseph. Bad: Kalil, Harris, Clemmings
@VikingsCorner 100% correct.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings28 wrote:I don't think Harris is any good so hopefully one of the young guys steps up and beats him out.
Couple guys really like Thompson. Calling him a "sleeper" to start at RG. I wouldn't go that far...yet. But who knows. It's still open. I think they said Harris was the "biggest" (heaviest?) guy on the team, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a guard if he can still move.

I also understand Harris is "starting" because Zimmer doesn't want to put a rookie in there right away, so deferring to veterans as he did last season with Barr (as an example). I don't think that battle is over yet.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

dead_poet wrote: Couple guys really like Thompson. Calling him a "sleeper" to start at RG. I wouldn't go that far...yet. But who knows. It's still open. I think they said Harris was the "biggest" (heaviest?) guy on the team, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a guard if he can still move.

I also understand Harris is "starting" because Zimmer doesn't want to put a rookie in there right away, so deferring to veterans as he did last season with Barr (as an example). I don't think that battle is over yet.
That's true. Could just be a respect thing right now with Harris. I'm bit a surprised they decided to give up on Clemmings at guard so quickly. That sounded like a legit possibility during rookie and mini camp but now he's back to working just as a tackle. I guess maybe they want him ready as a tackle in case things go bad with Kalil or Loadholt.