Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by akvikingsfan »

@VikingUpdate via Twitter wrote:Blair Walsh hit all 8 field goals from 33 to 52 yards. #Vikings
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

@VikingUpdate via Twitter wrote:Blair Walsh hit all 8 field goals from 33 to 52 yards. #Vikings
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

akvikingsfan wrote: I know it's only one practice, but sounds like Kalil hasn't improved.
Or, maybe Griffen is just getting better?
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Raptorman wrote: Or, maybe Griffen is just getting better?
Exactly. Griffen may be turning into a beast! He's already really good.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Spolier Alert: for those of you who are high on Babs (and/or don't like Arif) avert your eyes
@ArifHasanNFL Babs looking good enough 2 stick? Practice squad body for a year then maybe back-up ready? Or 2 much of a project?

He's a free PS spot (wouldn't take one of the 10) bc of international rules. Otherwise no shot to make even the PS ... Which isn't to say I'm not impressed by him. It's fantastic what he's doing. But project is a generous word.
Pretty sure the international exemption for the PS is no longer available.

Anyway ... my question is ... if we offer Babs a spot on the PS, would he take it? As I recall he has a wife and young child back in Poland and the PS salary is a pretty big drop off from the minimum for a roster player (although I don't remember exactly what it amounts to).
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

They get paid a minimum of $6,300 per week. I would say that is a lot more than he was making back home...and plenty of money to pay for an apartment for his family to live in for a year or two.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:Judging by the live-Tweeting, Diggs is catching everything.
I must say I told ya so :wink:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

DK Sweets wrote:They get paid a minimum of $6,300 per week. I would say that is a lot more than he was making back home...and plenty of money to pay for an apartment for his family to live in for a year or two.
Wow, more than I thought it was. $100K for 4 months. No doubt he'd take that.
Vikings28
Starter

Post by Vikings28 »

Like what I'm hearing about Diggs. Apparently he looked good in mini camp and now he's doing it again.

Nice to see people tweeting positive things about Hodges as well. Greenway will still probably be out there in a lot of three LB sets but hopefully Hodges gets plenty of snaps too. His main strength in college was his ability to cover and that has translated to the NFL. A lot of potential there with Barr, Kendricks, and Hodges.

Also, looks like Pruitt is making a good impression:
@PriscoCBS
Rookie TE Pruitt for Vikings is player coaches raving about and a guy who just had a nice deep catch. Fantasy sleeper?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Vikings28 wrote:Like what I'm hearing about Diggs. Apparently he looked good in mini camp and now he's doing it again.

Nice to see people tweeting positive things about Hodges as well. Greenway will still probably be out there in a lot of three LB sets but hopefully Hodges gets plenty of snaps too. His main strength in college was his ability to cover and that has translated to the NFL. A lot of potential there with Barr, Kendricks, and Hodges.

Also, looks like Pruitt is making a good impression:
Hope Pruitt lives up to the hype he's generated this offseason. I love being able to go 2 TE and have a guy who can get deep and has speed and athleticism. You bring in a guy who can cover him and we get an advantage on the ground. You bring in a bigger body and we have an advantage in the air.

The vikings have enough talent at the skill positions to get creative with mismatches all over the place if the line can improve enough to protect the QB for a few seconds.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TE is notoriously difficult to make an impact in the first year or two. Counting on Pruitt for a substantial contribution this season might be wishful thinking. That said, he does offer intriguing upside for the future. I'll be interested to see how he does with his blocking responsibilities, which was an area of weakness in scouting profiles and something he'll have to do fairly well to earn snaps.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Thompson's Day 3 recap: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/7/29/ ... -3#4798914

Teddy didn't have the best day but the guys behind him...yikes seems to be an appropriate word.

Summary

Looking good: Walsh, Hodges, Griffen, Peterson, McKinnon, Wallace, CJ, Diggs, Patterson (to an extent), Thielen (moreso on special teams but had a good day yesterday), Pruitt, Ellison, Ford, Fusco, Sullivan, Tyrus Thompson, Berger

Not looking so good: Babs, TJ Clemmings, Isame Faciane, Austin Shepherd, backup QBs

Video: http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... c00fc5af0d
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@GoesslingESPN #Vikings announce Shamar Stephen has been removed from the non-football injury list. He'll be able to practice today.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Thompson's Day 3 recap: http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/7/29/ ... -3#4798914

Teddy didn't have the best day but the guys behind him...yikes seems to be an appropriate word.

Summary

Looking good: Walsh, Hodges, Griffen...
I'm excited about Griffen and expecting some big things from him this season. I believe he's on his way to being a stud.

From what I'm reading, Zimmer likes what he's sees in Sharif Floyd, too.

The Vikings need that from all their DL players.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

losperros wrote: I'm excited about Griffen and expecting some big things from him this season. I believe he's on his way to being a stud.

From what I'm reading, Zimmer likes what he's sees in Sharif Floyd, too.

The Vikings need that from all their DL players.
Indeed. Also likes what he's seeing from Joseph, who seemed to turn it on towards the end of last season. Zimmer is putting more focus on stopping the run, so I expect that area to improve from a disappointing 2014 in that regard.

I'm also liking what I'm hearing from Audie Cole and Hodges. It's starting to sound like we may have the start to some good depth at the position.