Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Young Theodore Bridgewater

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Demi wrote:He'll be the man when you don't need to pick part of his stats, because they are improved as a whole. Which they could be, since they've improved along the way, and stayed that way. But right now he still has those other games.

I still find it odd the amount of doubt some people have when it comes to him, even I'm sold on him at this point. If I would say that same stuff about Tjoke or Ponder before I'd get all sorts of crap and told how negative I was being.
Well, that's it. If one of the most cynical posters here is on board (no offense Demi), Bridgewater has to be the real deal. :)

But that's a good point Demi. When you don't have to prove to anyone he's the man, that's when you truly know he's the man.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Mothman wrote:The Vikings have one of the league's worst offenses with him. He's been their QB the majority of the year and they're ranked 26th on offense, 27th in passing. I'm not denying the obvious improvement Bridgewater has made recently, just pointing out a fact and I'm doing so because I feel compelled to defend his teammates on offense. In this age of QB glorification, I'm seeing Bridgewater get the lion's share of credit for what the Vikings are doing well on offense but almost 55% of the team's passing yards have come after the catch. The Vikes lack star power on that side of the ball and that's one of the main reasons their offense isn't ranked higher but they're a hard-working bunch and Teddy's teammates have done a lot to help him shine in some recent games. I'm not trying to take anything away from Bridgewater's contribution but when the Vikes offense has been effective, as it was last week against Miami, it's been far from a one man show. Everybody is doing their part, which is good, because that's how football is supposed to work. :)
Mothman brings up an important point. Our offense is still sub-standard. The Vikes are averaging about 10 yards per game fewer passing yards this year than last, although it seems that most of that difference is the increase in sack yardage this year, which I think is because of the offensive line issues. Still, the Vikes are averaging more than 200 yards per game passing, which is better than anything from 2010-2012. And as one might expect, Teddy has a better per-game passing average than either Ponder (always sub-200 each year) and Cassel (around 200) with about 225 yards per game (excluding sacks). Clearly, we want to see the Teddy that has averaged nearly 300 yards per game the last three weeks. Of course, wanting it doesn't necessarily make it so. I'm convinced he's the best long-term QB prospect we've had since Kramer (long-time members should know I wasn't a big fan a Daunte's - great stats yes, winning games no), but reasonable people can differ on this.

I do think Teddy has something to do with the nice YAC that the Vikings receivers have going. I don't have stats, just my eyeballs. I hated when Ponder threw to receivers who always had to be standing still. We could never get YAC on those. Teddy tends to hit his receiver in stride (IMHO) and that leads to better YAC.

I think Bleacher Report has an article talking about how much better the receivers have been at getting open lately, and they think that has been the biggest difference in Teddy 0.9 (beta version, first six or so starts) and Teddy 1.0 (last five starts). ...Another piece of the puzzle matching Mothman's suggestion that the team is playing better, not just Teddy.
TeddyViking
Practice Squad

Post by TeddyViking »

John_Viveiros wrote:Mothman brings up an important point. Our offense is still sub-standard. The Vikes are averaging about 10 yards per game fewer passing yards this year than last, although it seems that most of that difference is the increase in sack yardage this year, which I think is because of the offensive line issues. Still, the Vikes are averaging more than 200 yards per game passing, which is better than anything from 2010-2012. And as one might expect, Teddy has a better per-game passing average than either Ponder (always sub-200 each year) and Cassel (around 200) with about 225 yards per game (excluding sacks). Clearly, we want to see the Teddy that has averaged nearly 300 yards per game the last three weeks. Of course, wanting it doesn't necessarily make it so. I'm convinced he's the best long-term QB prospect we've had since Kramer (long-time members should know I wasn't a big fan a Daunte's - great stats yes, winning games no), but reasonable people can differ on this.

I do think Teddy has something to do with the nice YAC that the Vikings receivers have going. I don't have stats, just my eyeballs. I hated when Ponder threw to receivers who always had to be standing still. We could never get YAC on those. Teddy tends to hit his receiver in stride (IMHO) and that leads to better YAC.

I think Bleacher Report has an article talking about how much better the receivers have been at getting open lately, and they think that has been the biggest difference in Teddy 0.9 (beta version, first six or so starts) and Teddy 1.0 (last five starts). ...Another piece of the puzzle matching Mothman's suggestion that the team is playing better, not just Teddy.
First your offense is no longer sub standard. The offense has not been sub standard the past four weeks. And that's the point. Did anyone actually think Teddy was going to come in here and Tear the league up right out the gate. I certainly didn't. Norv Turner's offense is way to complicated for that to happen. Kalil said only recently he has got comfortable with the new blocking schemes and what Teddy has had to absorb is ten-fold more.

How teddy has improved is exactly how he has done it all his career. He studies the playbook listens to whoever is willing to teach him and works hard. He works with his receivers to get the timing down. It's no wonder the receivers are getting open more. They have been working with Teddy. Just read what Jennings said in the link below...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 12311.html

He thinks Teddy reminded him of Aaron Rodgers on that one pass play. But Aaron Rodgers had more grooming coming into the league and then proceeded to play behind Favre. Teddy has progressed amazingly. His eerily close to breaking Roethlisberger's completion percentage rookie record. Without guys like Jerome Bettis and Plaxico Buress and Hines ward.

There's no question the offense is improving and that has contributed to Teddy's improvement. But don't get it twisted. You still slightly above average receiving with a running game that is without AP and an O/L that has been decimated with injury and given up 48 sacks (a number that is actually lower because of Teddy's elusiveness).

If the Vikings improve some of those areas and Teddy does nothing else but stand pat his numbers will increase. But Teddy will not stand pat. Teddy has set goals all of his life. And all his life he has quietly achieved them. From high school to get a scholarship to play college and from college to graduate in 3 years and play in the pros and now his new goal is to be the best at his position playing the game. Yeah a lot have that goal but Teddy will not be outworked to achieve his goal.

It's just a matter if he has enough talent and I think he has shown he does. Plus he has all the intangibles that people don't see are actual just as important if not more so... Footwork, reading progressions, degree of fearlessness under pressure, ability to instinctively adjust to whatever someone sends his way. I know I am repeating myself but the point is these things will not be diminished when someone studies him more. Most of the media hasn't seen it yet even the announcers give most of the credit to Turner. Not saying he doesn't deserve some but Teddy is the one executing what he teaches. Teddy is the guy reading the defense and making 40 changes at the line just in the Detroit game.

Those naysayers who said Teddy had bust written all over him and they would not draft him until the 4th round are not wiping all the egg and bs off there face to actually look and see how stupid they were. And Idiots like skip ball-less who does take notice goes so far as to say Teddy will disappoint the Vikings like all the QB's of Vikings past. How stupid do they have to be to not see what's happening in front of there face. Sure teddy has a lot of things he has to improve but that is also the point. Teddy is already playing at a high level with so much more to learn.

Teddy is emerging as an elite QB and if you followed his career its really easy to see it's no coincidence. Trust someone who was late to the game as a TB fan but in one year has become a true believer. Or do not trust me and wait and see for yourself the last 4 games are no fluke and are actually closer to his new floor.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Tony has one of the best wide receivers and running backs in the league.
Also, Romo is playing behind the best Oline in the NFL.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

TeddyViking wrote:I do think Teddy has something to do with the nice YAC that the Vikings receivers have going. I don't have stats, just my eyeballs. I hated when Ponder threw to receivers who always had to be standing still. We could never get YAC on those. Teddy tends to hit his receiver in stride (IMHO) and that leads to better YAC.

First your offense is no longer sub standard. The offense has not been sub standard the past four weeks. And that's the point. Did anyone actually think Teddy was going to come in here and Tear the league up right out the gate. I certainly didn't. Norv Turner's offense is way to complicated for that to happen. Kalil said only recently he has got comfortable with the new blocking schemes and what Teddy has had to absorb is ten-fold more.

How teddy has improved is exactly how he has done it all his career. He studies the playbook listens to whoever is willing to teach him and works hard. He works with his receivers to get the timing down. It's no wonder the receivers are getting open more. They have been working with Teddy. Just read what Jennings said in the link below...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 12311.html

He thinks Teddy reminded him of Aaron Rodgers on that one pass play. But Aaron Rodgers had more grooming coming into the league and then proceeded to play behind Favre. Teddy has progressed amazingly. His eerily close to breaking Roethlisberger's completion percentage rookie record. Without guys like Jerome Bettis and Plaxico Buress and Hines ward.

There's no question the offense is improving and that has contributed to Teddy's improvement. But don't get it twisted. You still slightly above average receiving with a running game that is without AP and an O/L that has been decimated with injury and given up 48 sacks (a number that is actually lower because of Teddy's elusiveness).

If the Vikings improve some of those areas and Teddy does nothing else but stand pat his numbers will increase. But Teddy will not stand pat. Teddy has set goals all of his life. And all his life he has quietly achieved them. From high school to get a scholarship to play college and from college to graduate in 3 years and play in the pros and now his new goal is to be the best at his position playing the game. Yeah a lot have that goal but Teddy will not be outworked to achieve his goal.

It's just a matter if he has enough talent and I think he has shown he does. Plus he has all the intangibles that people don't see are actual just as important if not more so... Footwork, reading progressions, degree of fearlessness under pressure, ability to instinctively adjust to whatever someone sends his way. I know I am repeating myself but the point is these things will not be diminished when someone studies him more. Most of the media hasn't seen it yet even the announcers give most of the credit to Turner. Not saying he doesn't deserve some but Teddy is the one executing what he teaches. Teddy is the guy reading the defense and making 40 changes at the line just in the Detroit game.

Those naysayers who said Teddy had bust written all over him and they would not draft him until the 4th round are not wiping all the egg and bs off there face to actually look and see how stupid they were. And Idiots like skip ball-less who does take notice goes so far as to say Teddy will disappoint the Vikings like all the QB's of Vikings past. How stupid do they have to be to not see what's happening in front of there face. Sure teddy has a lot of things he has to improve but that is also the point. Teddy is already playing at a high level with so much more to learn.

Teddy is emerging as an elite QB and if you followed his career its really easy to see it's no coincidence. Trust someone who was late to the game as a TB fan but in one year has become a true believer. Or do not trust me and wait and see for yourself the last 4 games are no fluke and are actually closer to his new floor.
Bravo, well said. :clap:
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

TeddyViking wrote:First your offense is no longer sub standard. The offense has not been sub standard the past four weeks. And that's the point. Did anyone actually think Teddy was going to come in here and Tear the league up right out the gate. I certainly didn't. Norv Turner's offense is way to complicated for that to happen. Kalil said only recently he has got comfortable with the new blocking schemes and what Teddy has had to absorb is ten-fold more.
Technically the offense was pretty average in two games, above average in the other, and significantly below average in the Carolina game. We are actually about 10 yards below league average in the last four games, offensively. Now, I think a lot of that is the fact that we had such a big lead against Carolina that we didn't need to pass much to get the W. And our passing game is clearly better than our running game over the last few weeks.

I agree with you though. Teddy looks elite to me. If we could match him up with an elite runner and some decent linemen (to grind out the clock late), a healthy Rudolph (TE, not reindeer), and maybe even with the current crop of WR's remaining healthy, this whole offense could be really elite.
TeddyViking
Practice Squad

Post by TeddyViking »

John_Viveiros wrote: Technically the offense was pretty average in two games, above average in the other, and significantly below average in the Carolina game. We are actually about 10 yards below league average in the last four games, offensively. Now, I think a lot of that is the fact that we had such a big lead against Carolina that we didn't need to pass much to get the W. And our passing game is clearly better than our running game over the last few weeks.

I agree with you though. Teddy looks elite to me. If we could match him up with an elite runner and some decent linemen (to grind out the clock late), a healthy Rudolph (TE, not reindeer), and maybe even with the current crop of WR's remaining healthy, this whole offense could be really elite.
I was referring to the passing game but clearly I didn't say that. My apologies. Also I don't mean to hijack this thread. I get how that can be annoying. I am kind of a sports junky and I love athletes with character. And for whatever reason Teddy has turned into one of my favorite athlete in all sports. Still I am not blind and I can see some of his faults and that he still has a lot to learn. I just find it amazing he has come so far so quickly. I do expect Teddy to take some steps back, it's like the old adage about frogs, "Two steps forward one step back...", except with Teddy his history has shown it's more like three steps forward half a step back. SO that is why I feel confident he will continue to improve.

The only other thing I would add is for those worried that his small frame won't last. I would just say this kid has taken more hits in his career than most QB's with his experience and he just keeps on keeping on. He has a small frame but he is like Dennis Rodman he just bounces right back up. Of course if a 300 pound beast falls on him the wrong way he will break. And the way he holds onto the ball sooner or later that will happen but it won't be so much because of his skinny legs as much as it will be because of his porous pass rush. Fortunately I think your coach is aware he needs to protect Teddy. I think he will do what is necessary to make that happen.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Johnny Manziel supposedly had a party Friday night in which Josh Gordon attended. Manziel was then late to treatment on Saturday and the Browns had to send team security to find him :lol: :lol:

EDIT:
Johnny Manziel (IR, hamstring) didn't show up on time for treatment on his injury Saturday and was fined.
Manziel threw a big party Friday night, one that was attended by Josh Gordon and other teammates. It was apparently a good time, as Gordon missed the Saturday walkthrough and got suspended. Meanwhile, Manziel wasn't at the facility ether Saturday and wasn't answering his phone, so team security was sent to find him. We can't imagine a worse rookie year for JFF, who lost a camp battle to Brian Hoyer, looked wildly unprepared and overwhelmed in two starts and failed to conduct himself well off the field. The Browns will be on the hunt for quarterback help again this offseason.
.....and this is the best and most accurate tweet I've seen in a while
BREAKING: #Vikings did not have to send out a search party to find Teddy Bridgewater before yesterday's practice. #madetherightdecision
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
cromulus
Backup

Post by cromulus »

Speaking of tweet's, this from Teddy (@teddyb_h2o)
Fundamentals travel, systems don't.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: Which is basically happening to anyone who isn't all aboard the Bridgewater train.

Frankly, I don't see much doubt about him at all as it pertains to his immediate future. If there's anybody here who doesn't think he's earned the right to go into training camp next season as the clear, designated starter, they're welcome to speak up. I think he's earned it. The QB job should be his to lose at this point but personally, I still consider that a long way from establishing himself as the franchise QB. YMMV.
Most of us right now are saying 'he's our man' meaning he's our starter. After watching a, hmm how do I put this, turd play, for years (which you stood up for every year, saying lets give him a chance, its not all his fault, which it wasn't) some of us are happy just having a secure starter. But if someone comes along and out preforms him, Im sure all of us on the Teddy Bandwangon would be happy and support them.

I don't know who these people are you think that Teddy is franchise QB of the Vikings, except maybe in jest. I don't know of any ROOKIE ever to be defined with that role. I find it very interesting in the QB's you are willing to have so patience with, and any time someone is a little too zealous with their excitement over Teddy, you have to slow them down.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Most of us right now are saying 'he's our man' meaning he's our starter. After watching a, hmm how do I put this, turd play, for years (which you stood up for every year, saying lets give him a chance, its not all his fault, which it wasn't) some of us are happy just having a secure starter. But if someone comes along and out preforms him, Im sure all of us on the Teddy Bandwangon would be happy and support them.

I don't know who these people are you think that Teddy is franchise QB of the Vikings, except maybe in jest. I don't know of any ROOKIE ever to be defined with that role. I find it very interesting in the QB's you are willing to have so patience with, and any time someone is a little too zealous with their excitement over Teddy, you have to slow them down.
My attitude has been the same with both Ponder and Bridgewater: wait and see. A rookie season is rarely a career-defining season. I try not to be over-zealous with either praise or criticism of young QBs. I find hyperbole about that position frustrating, whether it's positive or negative. YMMV.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Most of us right now are saying 'he's our man' meaning he's our starter. After watching a, hmm how do I put this, turd play, for years (which you stood up for every year, saying lets give him a chance, its not all his fault, which it wasn't) some of us are happy just having a secure starter. But if someone comes along and out preforms him, Im sure all of us on the Teddy Bandwangon would be happy and support them.

I read somewhere that Brady has secured a 1st round bye in 9 of his 11 years as a starter. I know it's not all because of the QB but that's an amazing stat to be a part of. Maybe I was rushing it a bit. Still, Bridgewater, rookie or not, has been impressive this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
TeddyBaller
Starter

Post by TeddyBaller »

best rookie qb in the league this year, just sucks he has to play for a super conservative offensive coordinator
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@PFF #Vikings RT @PFF_Sam: @SI_DougFarrar Final 5 weeks of the season only QB with a higher PFF grade than Teddy is Aaron Rodgers.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
MusicCityViking
Backup

Post by MusicCityViking »

Bridgewater is easily the best QB picked in the 2014 draft. To give some perspective:

Bortles: 77 QBR
Carr: 70 QBR
Bridgewater: 85 QBR

Significantly better than all of the other rookie QB's. He shows great composure in the pocket and improves in many aspects every game. He also ranked in the top 5 in the league in QBR in each of the final 5 games of the season.