Young Theodore Bridgewater

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TeddyViking
Practice Squad

Re: Young Theodore Bridgewater

Post by TeddyViking »

I think it's the other way around. Right now Teddy Bridgewater handles pocket pressure better than Luck. Bridgewater reads the field amazingly, goes through his progressions amazingly. That's the biggest flaw with Luck if you flush him out of the pocket he will make mistakes. He stays locked in the pocket but when he has to adjust his feet under pressure he is not as good. Teddy has amazing footwork and thrives under pressure. IMO Teddy is elite in that area of his game right now. Luck will never be as good as Teddy is in that area. And Luck has had many more years of grooming to get where he is at today. Teddy is already better than him in that area and will catch up or surpass him in all other areas except for arm strength.

As for those who say Teddy is not doing it alone, what a silly argument. Of course he is not doing it alone. Someone has to catch those passes. I love Charles Johnson but CJ was a 7th round pick that came off the browns practice squad and he's your best receiver. Anyone who is not blind can see that your offensive line has struggled. And your best running back is closer to a fullback. It's not those guys are not contributing but just listen to your coaches. Teddy makes them better and in turn they help Teddy succeed.

So hats off to his teammates on offense. It's so clear Teddy has been working with CJ and Jennings on routes and they deserve credit for improving as well. But that's what Teddy does. He makes people better. The coaches rave how much the team gravitates toward him. It's funny how some fans on here don't. Teddy gets along with his teammates and helps them anyway he can.

I'm optimistic about patterson. For whatever reason Cordarelle has came out the gate slowly. IMO it's because he hasn't put in the work with Teddy. There was one pass where he just seemed to stop running his route and another where he didn't seem to even attempt to reach the ball. I don't understand why that happen but the kid seems to be intelligent and if he just takes the time to work with Teddy I expect him to show great improvement.

Hell I think the offensive line has improved but every team already gets "stop Teddy and you stop the Vikings". Teddy is being pressured more than almost any QB in the league and he still performs. People don't get it the Broncos Manning couldn't handle the pressure last Monday and crumbled. Rodgers couldn't handle the Bills pressure and crumble. Teddy faces that pressure every week and still puts up some of the best number of any rookie over a four game stretch ever.

The jets through everything at TB and in the end Teddy dissected what they were doing and ate Ryan's lunch. Yeah all of that yardage was after the catch but after the initial catch there were blockers all around and open field ahead. Ryan tipped his hat to Teddy for seeing that and said he should have disguised it better. And that's what teams have to do with with Teddy because... he is off the chart with his pre snap judgement. Not just for a rookie but for people not named Manning, Brady and Rodgers.

People can't see it because the running game is lacking and the O/L is asked to do to much. Not to dish all the O/L, Kalil is improving. I don't know if Mike Harris is the answer at the other side but if AD comes back so much of of everything gets better because no one can key on teddy anymore. Teddy is not doing it alone and that is ridiculous for anyone to say, But Teddy is doing it with less than any of the other top QB's and he is improving every week and his numbers are off the charts for any rookie and that is a ridiculous thing to disagree. Teddy made everyone around him better at Louisville. And he has carried that to Minny.

The point is if you are true Vikings fan you have a lot to be excited about and if you are not elated you got to ask yourself why. If you are not ready to crown him just yet that's fine but understand something, what you have seen the last 4 weeks is closer to Teddy's floor than his ceiling. He will have bad games going forward as do all QB's but come opening season he will better than he is now and he will only get better from there on. That's got to be something to be excited about.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: Is anybody here even questioning the pick?
I'm sure there were a few after the first Detroit game. I have heard the term "bustwater" in a few forums this season (don't think it was this one). I also remember reading about wanting to draft Marriota just a few weeks ago.

Also, my comment on Luck was because of his recent struggles.

Reading TeddyViking's last comments, I also take a little offense to them. I just agree with his general statement. I believe the Vikings have something special in Teddy.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

It's an ESPN insider so only those that subscribe will be able to see.

Bridgewater deserves OROY award

I don't subscribe but I've found it posted. Doesn't say much that hasn't already been covered.

Here's the last part. MODs, you can delete if inappropriate:
Bottom line

The OROY case for Beckham is very strong, as his numbers can match up on a per-game basis with just about any wideout in the NFL, but Bridgewater's numbers can go toe-to-toe with the top quarterbacks in the league. Quarterback value trumps wide receiver value, and thus Bridgewater's OROY candidacy is stronger.

One can also make a compelling argument for Dallas Cowboys offensive guard Zack Martin, as he recently received the top spot in Mel Kiper's most recent rookie rankings. As great as Martin has played, he is the final piece in a strong offensive line rather than a cornerstone player on whom the team is built (such as Bridgewater).

In the end, if the OROY voters want to reward the player who has made the biggest impact on his team, and who has done so under the most difficult circumstances, Bridgewater is by far the most logical choice for this award.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:I'm sure there were a few after the first Detroit game. I have heard the term "bustwater" in a few forums this season (don't think it was this one). I also remember reading about wanting to draft Marriota just a few weeks ago.
I actually meant the question more literally that you took it. I've definitely seen people questioning the player. I just can't think of anyone here, on this forum, that questions the pick (ie; the decision to take Bridgewater), especially at this point. Regardless of how good he eventually becomes, drafting him seems like it was a very sound decision, especially for a team that was in the Vikings position at QB.
Reading TeddyViking's last comments, I also take a little offense to them. I just agree with his general statement. I believe the Vikings have something special in Teddy.
I think a lot of people do. I hope they do but it takes more than a month of largely good play to convince me and that's why I bristle a bit when people become antagonistic just because I, or other Vikes fans, don't have stars in our eyes about Bridgewater yet.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote:It's an ESPN insider so only those that subscribe will be able to see.

Bridgewater deserves OROY award

I don't subscribe but I've found it posted. Doesn't say much that hasn't already been covered.

Here's the last part. MODs, you can delete if inappropriate:
Wow what an accomplishment if he could end up getting that award.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

If Bridgewater was named OROY, that would make him the third Vikings player to receive that honor since Rick Spielman joined the team.

Thanks for the link, 808vikingsfan. You only quoted a section of the article so I think that's probably fine.

Here's a link to an SI piece by Doug Farrar in which he writes about the year's best rookies at different positions. Barr is mentioned at LB but I'm posting the link here because of the following:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/23/best-n ... ron-donald
With one week left in the regular season, here are the first-year players who have impressed the most.

Quarterback: Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings/Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders/b]

Carr, the 36th overall pick, may have had this spot locked up midseason -- he's done a tremendous amount with very little around him -- but it's Bridgewater who has moved ahead with a great last month. In each of his last four games, the Vikings' quarterback (selected with the last pick in Round 1) has completed over 70 percent of his passes, and while he still has issues with accuracy and ball placement, he's tremendous under pressure, and he's starting to look like the kind of quarterback who can lead a franchise to better things. Carr has certainly looked like that as well, throwing 20 touchdowns to his 11 interceptions. You'd like to see him unleash it a bit more downfield -- Carr's 5.53 yards-per-attempt is by far the lowest among qualifying NFL quarterbacks this season -- but Carr is mobile, tough, smart and whoever takes over in Oakland from coaching and personnel perspective will have something to work with in 2015.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Mothman wrote: I actually meant the question more literally that you took it. I've definitely seen people questioning the player. I just can't think of anyone here, on this forum, that questions the pick (ie; the decision to take Bridgewater), especially at this point. Regardless of how good he eventually becomes, drafting him seems like it was a very sound decision, especially for a team that was in the Vikings position at QB.
Sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. My point was how quickly we start bashing a player during times of struggle, even after a good performance. If the Vikings did draft Luck, I wouldn't be surprised to see comments about drafting Marriota after the outings Luck recently had.
I think a lot of people do. I hope they do but it takes more than a month of largely good play to convince me and that's why I bristle a bit when people become antagonistic just because I, or other Vikes fans, don't have stars in our eyes about Bridgewater yet.
For me, it's not just about his last 4 games. It's his progression. It's his work ethic. It's comments from those that followed him during college that see him translating his game to the pros. It's stories like how he started and performed well when he was a true freshmen, or how his ball rarely touches the ground during practice. I admit, when he was being touted as the #1 pick in the draft, i didn't see what was so special about him. I read about GUMP and his pocket presence but he looked just average in his youtube clips to me. There was no 'wow' factor, not like with Luck or Newton. I think maybe that's part of the case right now. Maybe some are waiting for him to start throwing bombs on a regular basis. I don't think he's that type of QB. He may develop into more of a surgical type of QB like Peyton. Maybe we're waiting for him to never miss an open receiver or never get rattled after a big hit. Well that's never going to happen. Even the great ones still do. Maybe it's just hard to see because we are Vikings fans. I can tell you this, fans of other teams already see it.

Just found this.

Here's stats since midseason: (taken from this forum)I'd say they're very comparable to the elite.

So I guess my question to you and those that are on the fence. When will he be the franchise QB in your eyes? It's not a jab at all. I really would like to know at what point will he be considered "the man" in your eyes. Maybe I am rushing into it a bit. All I see are stars . :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

He'll be the man when you don't need to pick part of his stats, because they are improved as a whole. Which they could be, since they've improved along the way, and stayed that way. But right now he still has those other games.

I still find it odd the amount of doubt some people have when it comes to him, even I'm sold on him at this point. If I would say that same stuff about Tjoke or Ponder before I'd get all sorts of crap and told how negative I was being.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:So I guess my question to you and those that are on the fence. When will he be the franchise QB in your eyes? It's not a jab at all. I really would like to know at what point will he be considered "the man" in your eyes. Maybe I am rushing into it a bit. All I see are stars . :)
Totally understandable.

For me, the answer to your question is a matter of time. Right now, I see Bridgewater as sort of a designated franchise QB, the player drafted to fill that role, the player everyone hopes will become the franchise QB. In that sense, I suppose he's already the franchise QB to many but for me to see him that way, to see him in the same light as a Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger or even Flacco, it's going to take rime. To convince me in one more season, he'd have to be outstanding and play every game, even that might not be enough.

I know how that sounds but I've just seen too many instances where a team thinks they have their franchise QB and then a year or two later, they're in serious doubt or already looking for a replacement. I need to see that Bridgewater is durable, that he can play at a high level for more than one season, that he can be successful even after defenses get more film on him and work to break him down. I need to see him lead the team in an upset win, come through in the clutch again and again, etc. Put simply, he needs to establish himself, to prove it and keep proving it, because that's what a franchise QB does. I just don't see that as something that can be done in a season. It has to happen over time.

I understand that all QBs make mistakes. They all throw interceptions, are affected by pressure, can get rattled after a big hit, miss throws, etc. I'm not waiting for perfection and I've never held Bridgewater or any other QB to that standard. I just believe it takes time for any player to truly establish himself as a franchise QB. Teddy will be the Vikings franchise QB in my eyes when he proves it over time.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:He'll be the man when you don't need to pick part of his stats, because they are improved as a whole. Which they could be, since they've improved along the way, and stayed that way. But right now he still has those other games.

I still find it odd the amount of doubt some people have when it comes to him, even I'm sold on him at this point. If I would say that same stuff about Tjoke or Ponder before I'd get all sorts of crap and told how negative I was being.
Which is basically happening to anyone who isn't all aboard the Bridgewater train.

Frankly, I don't see much doubt about him at all as it pertains to his immediate future. If there's anybody here who doesn't think he's earned the right to go into training camp next season as the clear, designated starter, they're welcome to speak up. I think he's earned it. The QB job should be his to lose at this point but personally, I still consider that a long way from establishing himself as the franchise QB. YMMV.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Frankly, I don't see much doubt about him at all as it pertains to his immediate future. If there's anybody here who doesn't think he's earned the right to go into training camp next season as the clear, designated starter, they're welcome to speak up. I think he's earned it. The QB job should be his to lose at this point but personally, I still consider that a long way from establishing himself as the franchise QB. YMMV.
I'm not psychic and don't know what will happen, but seeing Teddy succeed is what I want to happen.

The Vikings badly need a franchise QB right now. The musical quarterback stuff has to stop. If Teddy is that guy, and given his young age, it will mean great things for the team.

Given his learning curve, I'd say so far, so good for Bridgewater. As I said before, he just has to keep the learning curve going.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I'm not psychic and don't know what will happen, but seeing Teddy succeed is what I want to happen.

The Vikings badly need a franchise QB right now. The musical quarterback stuff has to stop. If Teddy is that guy, and given his young age, it will mean great things for the team.

Given his learning curve, I'd say so far, so good for Bridgewater. As I said before, he just has to keep the learning curve going.
Exactly my point, Craig: he has to keep the learning curve going. If he does, I certainly see franchise QB potential in him. He's on that path.
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Wow Teddy Bridgewater doubters are out in full force today.. :v):
TeddyViking
Practice Squad

Post by TeddyViking »

Mothman wrote: I understand that all QBs make mistakes. They all throw interceptions, are affected by pressure, can get rattled after a big hit, miss throws, etc. I'm not waiting for perfection and I've never held Bridgewater or any other QB to that standard. I just believe it takes time for any player to truly establish himself as a franchise QB. Teddy will be the Vikings franchise QB in my eyes when he proves it over time.
I couldn't agree more and Teddy has gone through that. It's clear he struggled early adjusting to the speed of the league. But it's also clear he has adjusted. He has made a leap to establishing himself as pro QB. I don't mean to sound arrogant but the thing I think I see clearer than most is that his ability to improve and establish himself is built in his DNA. More than talent who has football smarts off the chart. It's what makes him special.

Making the leap from college to the pros is no different than making the leap from High school to college. It's why almost all good college QB's are red shirted. But not Teddy he insisted on playing his freshmen year. And like this year he struggled early but by mid season he had entrenched himself as Louisville starter and by end of the season he was all the buzz at Louisvile. Every year he has improved on that and every year his strongest performances have been in the biggest games.

For get about all the stats and records he is breaking, Teddy is improving over all every game. The pundits haven't caught up to how well he is playing because he does it so quietly. I get people want to say things like a lot of QB's have had great rookie careers and then been disasters or flash in the pans but I say they haven't done it like Teddy.

The league had to adjust to the running of RGII, kaepernick and Newton and they did. But what Teddy is doing is unprecedented when you truly consider the talent surrounding him. Tony Romo is being discussed as MVP and people are talking about how amazing he has played over the last three games 79% completion. But I say teddy's 73% over the same 3 game period is even better maybe much better. Tony has one of the best wide receivers and running backs in the league. Tony has the luxury of picking and choosing when he throws. How sweet that must be.

Teddy has not known that feeling in his entire college and pro career. Tony has thrown 14 times less than Teddy during that 3 game span because he doesn't have to. Teddy has to throw and every defense knows that and gets in the blocks ready to come. Imagine if Tony Romo had to throw 41 times against Detroit.

Teddy quietly broke a rookie record that I bet will be decades before it is matched. completing 75% while throwing more than 40 passes. Do you guys realize how amazing that is and it's no fluke. All of you do is look at teddy past history in high school college and the pros to see that but don't go by that. After that game he proceeds to have his best game against Miami! It's no fluke guys. Teddy is the real deal. The why he is playing these last 4 games is closer to his floor than his ceiling. Merry Christmas

P.S. sign Duron Carter he will be a stud
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have to admit when the Vikings jumped back in and grabbed Bridgewater I was not thrilled.

I watched his pro bowl day and thought,"holy crap the guy is worse than Ponder under pressure."

Teddy has exceeded my highest expectations and I am thrilled we finally have a quality QB.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!