Off-season Prediction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:10 pm I'm not saying to throw out that article about what happens after X amount of time with most players. I'm sure it has some value. However, those players aren't Hunter so the article has very little predictive value on Hunter. Hunter will do what Hunter will do not what they did.
That's true, and the article does state that there are exceptions to the general rule. Hunter might be one of them.

But even if he is one of them, that doesn't invalidate the larger dataset taken over decades of time and hundreds of professional defensive ends. There are always going to be outliers in such populations, but betting men don't bet on outliers - they bet on the most likely outcomes. And for better or for worse, the Vikings' GM is a betting man.

I'd put the odds of Hunter Daniels playing for the Vikings next year at under 5%. We'll see if I'm right.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:25 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 pm

I believe having two different head coaches, OC’s along with the O Line never being addressed also played a factor in his struggles. A first and a second in hindsight is too much for Fields, but a 3rd or 4th along with a 7th rounder wouldn’t be bad.
I'd be OK with a 3rd round pick for Fields. That's a fair price for a backup QB that could come in and win a game or two.
A 3rd rounder for a viable backup QB isn't bad. Heck, he'd be at least as good as Mullens.

Unfortunately, the Vikings don't have a 3rd round pick this year, plus I suspect some QB-needy team will give up more than that even if the Vikings did have a 3rd to offer.

And lastly, I just don't see the Bears trading a good QB to a divisional rival. I mean, if the Bears were willing to do that at any price (even a 1st), I'd run for the hills. That's like the scene from Breaking Bad where Gus goes down to Mexico to meet up with the drug lord that killed his best friend right in front of him. Gus offers the guy tequila and the drug lord rightfully makes Gus drink it first, which he thinks proves it isn't poisoned. If you've seen the episode, you know the result.

Yeah, the Bears would (and should) have ZERO interest in improving the fortunes of any of their divisional rivals, especially at the QB position. So if it were offered, and even if the Bears insisted they were torn up about trading Fields, I'd take a hard pass.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:20 pm A) I don't think the Bears would trade Fields to us (divisional thing), unless we overpaid...which we won't.
B) Someone desperate for a QB will give up at least 2 2nds for him.
Can people even see my posts? Is this thing on? This site used to have a lot of great conversations. Now...I feel like a ghost.
Big gulps huh? Welp...see ya later!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think Fields sucks even as a back up and wouldn't give up any picks for him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:20 pm A) I don't think the Bears would trade Fields to us (divisional thing), unless we overpaid...which we won't.
And it only makes sense if Chicago is going to trade him, that they do it to whoever they can squeeze the most from. So far the few trades I can think Poles has made have turned out well on their side.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 pm I think Fields sucks even as a back up and wouldn't give up any picks for him.
I'd take fields as a backup. Just cause they are mainly fliers as it is. And he has upside to take over a game here and there. I wouldn't want to give up more than a fourth or fifth. Buy low only.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

makila wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:58 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 pm I think Fields sucks even as a back up and wouldn't give up any picks for him.
I'd take fields as a backup. Just cause they are mainly fliers as it is. And he has upside to take over a game here and there. I wouldn't want to give up more than a fourth or fifth. Buy low only.
I wouldn't be mad at a 5th I guess but I'd rather have unknown back ups over guys I know are not good already. Maybe you get a Kurt Warner or Tom Brady. I know I'm not gonna luck out with a find like that by trotting out guys who have shown they can't play at this level already.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:52 pm
Can people even see my posts? Is this thing on? This site used to have a lot of great conversations. Now...I feel like a ghost.
I have noticed that too. I think they’re ignoring my comments. I wouldn’t blame them. I would ignore me too.

My thoughts on the offseason is that there are a lot of needs in multiple position groups. I’m guessing it will be another case of there not being enough draft picks and money for free agents to fix it all. Simple math tells me that the number of draft picks and dollars isn’t enough to solve every weakness. Add the fact that they played just good enough to not have a top five pick and got a more difficult schedule out of it. I see they are playing in London as well and that is a difficult week for any team.

I think it’s unrealistic to expect them to right the ship to a contender by next season. I’m thinking that running it back in 2022 and calling it a competitive rebuild in 2023 isn’t the best approach but was a condition of employment to follow ownership’s plan. Meanwhile the rest of the division looks to be improving as we stumble. I hope that all turns around.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:27 am

I have noticed that too. I think they’re ignoring my comments. I wouldn’t blame them. I would ignore me too.

My thoughts on the offseason is that there are a lot of needs in multiple position groups. I’m guessing it will be another case of there not being enough draft picks and money for free agents to fix it all. Simple math tells me that the number of draft picks and dollars isn’t enough to solve every weakness. Add the fact that they played just good enough to not have a top five pick and got a more difficult schedule out of it. I see they are playing in London as well and that is a difficult week for any team.

I think it’s unrealistic to expect them to right the ship to a contender by next season. I’m thinking that running it back in 2022 and calling it a competitive rebuild in 2023 isn’t the best approach but was a condition of employment to follow ownership’s plan. Meanwhile the rest of the division looks to be improving as we stumble. I hope that all turns around.
Many feel like a ghost mainly because nothing is happening at this point. I like to read peoples thoughts but when it's always one player that gets 99% of the attention it can get boring. StanM we have 9 draft picks and if we pick well you should be able to get a few guys that can make an immediate impact. If we draft like we did in 2022 and get nothing then the amount of picks don't matter. The scouting along with the GM don't have their act together. I don't know what the best approach is. Having nothing at QB will never work. I also don't think the rest of the division is improving. The Lions are the champs but are they really that much better than us? Their D blows and they will get beat in the playoffs. The Packers made the playoffs but we hammered them when we were healthy. Their D blows also. The Bears are still searching for a QB which might never end. They missed a great DL player in the draft last year when they traded their pick to the Eagles. That's stumbling big time. You can't miss great players when they fall in your lap. We did it with Hamilton last year. Having cap for the free agent garbage dump is not the answers. There will be a few players out there that are very good but you will need to overpay big time. The rest are players teams no longer wanted. Friendly cut players like Davenport who we threw 13 million away on last season. You can't build that way not matter what you call the build. We need to draft the best in the league. No more than that.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Dude. Sorry if I didn't reply to some comments you made. I feel you are a good contributor and would hate to lose you.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

If Kirk doesn't go down we win the division over the Lions and host at least one playoff game.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

It's official. KAM wants KFC back.

cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:16 pm

Many feel like a ghost mainly because nothing is happening at this point. I like to read peoples thoughts but when it's always one player that gets 99% of the attention it can get boring. StanM we have 9 draft picks and if we pick well you should be able to get a few guys that can make an immediate impact. If we draft like we did in 2022 and get nothing then the amount of picks don't matter. The scouting along with the GM don't have their act together. I don't know what the best approach is. Having nothing at QB will never work. I also don't think the rest of the division is improving. The Lions are the champs but are they really that much better than us? Their D blows and they will get beat in the playoffs. The Packers made the playoffs but we hammered them when we were healthy. Their D blows also. The Bears are still searching for a QB which might never end. They missed a great DL player in the draft last year when they traded their pick to the Eagles. That's stumbling big time. You can't miss great players when they fall in your lap. We did it with Hamilton last year. Having cap for the free agent garbage dump is not the answers. There will be a few players out there that are very good but you will need to overpay big time. The rest are players teams no longer wanted. Friendly cut players like Davenport who we threw 13 million away on last season. You can't build that way not matter what you call the build. We need to draft the best in the league. No more than that.
Understandable...but it is quite frustrating when you make a post-then have someone repeat the same exact thing...while people respond to the second person and not the original post. All good. As Stan said...I don't blame people for not reading my responses.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm

If Kirk doesn't go down we win the division over the Lions and host at least one playoff game.
Kirk was a 500 QB when he was done for the season. 4-4
In fact even though he missed half a season he still lead the team in turnovers. Even Mullen’s couldn’t catch him.

Something else, the year Teddy was drafted he was the starting QB by game 5.

Sure Kam wants Kirk back. All they have to do is agree on a contract which they couldn’t do this year.
Edit: last year
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:41 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:32 pm
Kirk was a 500 QB when he was done for the season. 4-4
In fact even though he missed half a season he still lead the team in turnovers. Even Mullen’s couldn’t catch him.

Something else, the year Teddy was drafted he was the starting QB by game 5.

Sure Kam wants Kirk back. All they have to do is agree on a contract which they couldn’t do this year.
Edit: last year
We were also on a 3 game win streak including beating 2 playoff teams within that streak one of which is the No 1 seed in our conference. We lost to the Eagles with JJ fumbling the ball at the goal and giving the Eagles the ball at their own 25. Flores D gave up 34 and allowed 279 yards rushing in that game. That's a pounding. I highly doubt many QBs have a great record when their team gives up 34. Sure the QB gets the W or the L and they play the most important position but I'd certainly rather watch us with him than without. Mullens had his chance to become our star as did Hall and Dobbs. None of them could perform well enough. Teddy is still out going from team to team. He's not a very good QB. If he was he would get big money. One last thing Addison had 7 TDs 1st 8 games and looked like rookie of year. Only 3 TDs over the last 9. Anybody can do that. Either Addison has been figured out and was a bad pick our he needs someone with passing ability throwing to him. I think having a QB helped others might say the complete opposite and Addison makes the QB.