Cousins Extended

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Cousins Extended

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:39 am

I absolutely disagree with you Cousins gets no more excuses.
When Cousins was supposed to be scoring touchdowns. We was settling for 3 and outs and field goals that’s all on Cousins.
....the guy threw for 33 TDs. Tied for 7th in the NFL. I mean we could go back to the Teddy Bridgewater days where he's averaging 14 TDs a year
Context.

2015 team points with Bridgewater and his 14TDs: 16th in NFL
2021 team points with Cousins: 14th in NFL

The *team* on offense wasn't much better. Plus, in 2015 they actually made the playoffs too.

Bridgewater was the perfect QB for Zimmer's scheme and style of roster building, in my opinion, and I think Zimmer himself felt the same way.

Hopefully Kirk does better with a more offensive-minded coach.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 pm
halfgiz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:42 pm

Not real happy with the no trade clause either.
The no trade clause is proof that the Vikings management believes in Kirk.
It is a concession that means nothing. No team is going to trade for a QB that doesn't want to play for them.

A single year extension versus a multi year one means a whole lot though.

Do you think it is so short because they are all in on him?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:49 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pm Cousins would have made more on the open market. He is a top 10 QB. Those guys get paid big.
I don’t know any top 10 QB’s with a losing record. How many can you name?
I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of interest in Cousins for the money.
Matt Stafford for one. I had to think about it for about a second.
Kirk isn't one of them because he doesn't have a losing record.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 am

....the guy threw for 33 TDs. Tied for 7th in the NFL. I mean we could go back to the Teddy Bridgewater days where he's averaging 14 TDs a year
You forgot to add this.
The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.
13th and 11th out of 32 is pretty good.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 am

You forgot to add this.
The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.
Ok? Why is that a "problem"? That's above average with a poor interior and a dinosaur for a HC that paid zero attention to this offense. With KOC coming in, I expect that number to go up barring any crazy injuries. I can tell you what IS a problem is the defense being ranked 31st.
:rock: :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

IIsweet wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:54 am Forgot to add, Kirk really is a great thrower of the football. I am not a fan of him, but he does throw a great ball, when he is not pressured. Maybe we add some FA interior OL and focus on defense with the draft.
Regardless, if he can be protected, then maybe we have a guy that can light up the scoreboards. He will not be told to always check down from here on ! No longer MSU, nor Zimball.
His under pressure stats are very good. He throws a good ball under pressure or not.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:14 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:19 am

I didn't say a word about the Super Bowl. It's obvious that it is VERY hard to win one. Many amazing players go their entire career without winning one. I've said as much on this board many times.

I'll go a step farther and say making the playoffs is difficult. Those these days half of the league makes it so I'm sure that could be argued. It doesn't change my stance on Cousins, or the QB position in general. It's the same topic that comes up countless times on this board in regard to Cousins.

Was your example with Marino meant to compare him with Kirk?! :shock:

I think anyone trying to be subjective would agree that the ONLY thing those two have in common is that neither won a Super Bowl. The guy made it to the playoffs in like 10 seasons. He made it to a Super Bowl. He was a Pro Bowl player like 10 times and All-Pro something like 6 times. 61,000 passing yards. He's in the Hall of Fame. Mentioning these two players in the same sentence in regards to their football talent is laughable. And this coming from a guy that doesn't mind Cousins near as much as other posters.

But you are right. Neither have won a Super Bowl so in that way they are similar. And you are right that winning Super Bowls is hard. And if Kirk plays another decade and gets even half of the accolades and stats that Marino has I'll look at him differently. :lol:
I wasn't comparing Kirk to anybody. My entire point is that winning a Super Bowl is extremely difficult. Marino is a HOFer Kirk will never be that. You need a good team at all levels to win the dam thing. That's why Marino never won one. That was the point. The Phins never had a defense under him. Some posters hate Kirk and it's there opinion which is fine. We all have an opinion. IMO our defense sucks. Even when it was No 1 they didn't play well in the playoffs. The Saints ripped them the 2nd half and we needed a miracle to win the game. When we went to SF with Kirk our D was rolled over on the ground. It was embarrassing. Philly embarrassed them. It was the same old story with Zim's D. Never went out and took a playoff game over. The Eagles defense took the Champ game over. We only put up 7 points and that was on the first drive. I thought it would be a cakewalk with the No 1 D playing against a backup stiff QB. That D folded and showed their true colors. No Viking fan liked that performance. A team won't make the Super Bowl when getting destroyed on D in the playoffs.I don't care who the QB is. If they dumped Cousins I certainly wouldn't cry about it. I do know this. He gives our current team the best opportunity to win. Putting some bum in there won't help. That was showed last year against the Packers.
I think Kirk could definitely be a HoFer. Just win a couple Super Bowls. :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:57 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:39 pm
The no trade clause is proof that the Vikings management believes in Kirk.
It is a concession that means nothing. No team is going to trade for a QB that doesn't want to play for them.

It's so short because Kirk bets on himself and wants short contracts.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:59 pm
halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:49 am

I don’t know any top 10 QB’s with a losing record. How many can you name?
I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of interest in Cousins for the money.
You might want to check his overall record. :whistle:
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:08 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:14 pm
I wasn't comparing Kirk to anybody. My entire point is that winning a Super Bowl is extremely difficult. Marino is a HOFer Kirk will never be that. You need a good team at all levels to win the dam thing. That's why Marino never won one. That was the point. The Phins never had a defense under him. Some posters hate Kirk and it's there opinion which is fine. We all have an opinion. IMO our defense sucks. Even when it was No 1 they didn't play well in the playoffs. The Saints ripped them the 2nd half and we needed a miracle to win the game. When we went to SF with Kirk our D was rolled over on the ground. It was embarrassing. Philly embarrassed them. It was the same old story with Zim's D. Never went out and took a playoff game over. The Eagles defense took the Champ game over. We only put up 7 points and that was on the first drive. I thought it would be a cakewalk with the No 1 D playing against a backup stiff QB. That D folded and showed their true colors. No Viking fan liked that performance. A team won't make the Super Bowl when getting destroyed on D in the playoffs.I don't care who the QB is. If they dumped Cousins I certainly wouldn't cry about it. I do know this. He gives our current team the best opportunity to win. Putting some bum in there won't help. That was showed last year against the Packers.
I think Kirk could definitely be a HoFer. Just win a couple Super Bowls. :govikes:
Man I love your optimism! :rock:
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:10 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:57 pm

It's so short because Kirk bets on himself and wants short contracts.
It is short because that is all the Vikings would give him.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:07 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 am
Considering one of those teams has already refused to pay Cousins that type of money and one is starting Tom Brady next season, I am not sure how accurate that list is.

I also think you are conflating a need for a QB with a willingness to overpay for one that doesn't actually make the team better.
If he hit the open market he would make more. The Bucs without Brady would have paid him if they had the cap. The Redskins were under different management.
Pure speculation. All we know is that when Kirk hit free agency before, there were only two teams to offer him a massive contract.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:32 pm
In the NFL? I think even after this year with the rams he still has a losing record.

Though I always find it funny that the one guy people point to is a good QB who played his entire career for the worst franchise in sports. He leaves that franchise and voila; Super Bowl winning QB! :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:06 pm
IIsweet wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:54 am Forgot to add, Kirk really is a great thrower of the football. I am not a fan of him, but he does throw a great ball, when he is not pressured. Maybe we add some FA interior OL and focus on defense with the draft.
Regardless, if he can be protected, then maybe we have a guy that can light up the scoreboards. He will not be told to always check down from here on ! No longer MSU, nor Zimball.
His under pressure stats are very good. He throws a good ball under pressure or not.
His under pressure stats are worse than Wentz.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:32 pm
I just read he was 59-59-2.