Who do we draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Who do we draft?

Post by saint33 »

DKSweets wrote:Trae Waynes would be an awesome pick. I think investing in a shutdown secondary would be a great way to build this team.

I'm starting to lean this way too. Although it's early and there are still a number of different guys I'm more than intrigued by
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Amari Cooper analysis (very good read): http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... ricooper15
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Should we take Brandon Schreff at #11? In a word: no

I think Schreff has an outside chance of being a RT in the NFL, but almost no chance of being a LT. Schreff has struggled with his pass blocking against speed off the edge in the Big Ten. At the NFL level he could be a Brad Badger type performer at LT. When I saw him play in person against the Gophers this year I thought he was downright nasty as a run blocker but his pass blocking was (at times) just awful. In the NFL I think Schreff has the potential to be a very good (potentially dominating) OG, a good but not great RT and a very marginal LT. Schreff is a weight room monster and I expect him to post some pretty impressive stats at the Combine. I'd project him more as Robert Gallery then Reily Reiff.

We don't need a RT so if we draft Schreff it has to be as an OG. Should we draft an OG at #11 overall? I wouldn't. Too high for that position. There are other interior linemen in this year's draft that we can get in the 2nd that would be comparable to Schreff. Cameron Erving is intriguing. He played LT at FSU before moving to Center. I expect he'll be in the top 5 interior OL rankings for most of the draft analysts that are worth following. He could be a guy who could come in and play OG as a rookie, and potentially be the backup plan for Kalil (something I don't think Schreff could offer).

Lookout for Benardick McKinney's combine numbers (inside LB from Mississippi St.). Could be off the chart. After the combine he might be one of those guys who rocket-up the board. Kid can play; he's not just a workout warrior. He might be a Brian Urlacher type player in the NFL. Maybe he ends our drought at MLB.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The more I read about this guy, the more I'm intrigued with him if we can potentially get him in R2 or later.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... -beckham15

More on DGB: http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap300 ... ntconcerns
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:The more I read about this guy, the more I'm intrigued with him if we can potentially get him in R2 or later.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... -beckham15

More on DGB: http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap300 ... ntconcerns

I read part of the lengthy (and sloppy) article at the first link and thought, "no way in heck do I want to draft this guy--red flags all over the place".

The second, well-written, article made me respond, "well, maybe." I found these quotes to be very interesting:

Re: his talent
"He's one of the best receivers I've ever seen," said one AFC college scout who has extensive experience evaluating Green-Beckham. "He's special. He's gigantic; he has tremendous body control, balance; he runs like a deer and can leap out of the gym and high-point the ball. He's special. It's impressive. If not for all that stuff, he'd be the best receiver to come out since Calvin Johnson."

Now, the scout concedes that the 21-year-old is raw, and there is opposition to the rest of his assessment. Another AFC scout affirmed the Johnson comparison physically, but said, "He's not a slam dunk. He runs two routes." An NFC personnel executive added, "I wanna compare him to (Randy) Moss. ... I saw one play where he took off and dusted a corner, and said, 'He looks like Calvin.' But play in, play out, he doesn't play to Calvin's speed." An AFC exec argued that inconsistent hands and route-running keep Green-Beckham from that level.

Re: his character concerns--(two pot citations and an on campus incident in which he pushed an alleged female victim down a flight of stairs).
"He's very immature," said the first of the AFC scouts, having evaluated Green-Beckham closely. "People like him as a guy, but you cannot defend the off-field incidents."

One example of people liking Green-Beckham: Pinkel helped him find his next landing spot, vouching for him with his friend Bob Stoops at the University of Oklahoma. Green-Beckham transferred to Norman, with the Sooners hoping he'd obtain a waiver allowing him to play in 2014. When that effort failed, and the NCAA decided Green-Beckham had to sit a year in accordance to the transfer rules, many worried he'd revert to his old ways.

By all accounts, that didn't happen. According to the information gathered by a number of NFL evaluators, Green-Beckham walked the straight and narrow as, in essence, a very well-known practice-squader last fall. He was there for early-morning workouts, quickly established himself as a star on the practice field and planned to stay for the 2015 season. Those plans changed after the firing of co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell, with whom Green-Beckham had built a strong relationship, but the gifted prospect was able to leave OU under much better circumstances than he did Mizzou.
Of course, the counter argument here is that it's not that difficult to behave for a few months with so much on the line.

And the question then becomes whether it's sustainable.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I feel very strongly that he shouldn't go before round 3, but I'm almost certain he wont last that long.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Lots of good prospects will be on the board at 11, but Scherff is my favorite prospect this year. I hope he is there at 11.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am a supporter of us going for Dorial Green-Beckham. You cannot teach size and athleticism. Just think of how much of an asset he would be for our offense, especially in the red zone?

Another guy I like is Devin Smith from Ohio St. Man, I hate Ohio St. but that dude can fly. He would be a great deep threat for our offense.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I am a supporter of us going for Dorial Green-Beckham. You cannot teach size and athleticism. Just think of how much of an asset he would be for our offense, especially in the red zone?

Another guy I like is Devin Smith from Ohio St. Man, I hate Ohio St. but that dude can fly. He would be a great deep threat for our offense.
I'm scared of DGB, but I have to second Devin Smith - severely underrated, IMO. I think he'll wind up as a mid to late first rounder.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

If we go with DGB in the first round, I will lead the angry pitchfork mob.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DeVante Parker - WR - Cardinals
CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that Louisville senior WR Devante Parker said that he has met with the Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins at the combine.

The 6-foot-3, 208-pound Parker,offers ideal size and speed for the position, and a ridiculous 80-inch wing span. The Louisville prospect isn't afraid to go up and compete for the football at it's highest point, and has a natural feel for the game. If Parker runs an impressive forty time it could help increase his stock. Right now, Parker is seen as top-15 pick in this years' draft.
Source: Dane Brugler onTwitter

---
P.J. Williams - DB - Seminoles

Louisville WR Devante Parker mentioned that FSU DB P.J. Williams was the "toughest guy" he's faced.

The Florida State prospect is an aggressive cover corner who isn't afraid to be left alone on an island. Williams offers a nice combination of size and speed at the next level. The 6-foot, 196-pound Williams, who has the ability to play press and off-man zone, has been seen as a potential first-round prospect by some.
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Todd Gurley - RB - Player

Georgia RB Todd Gurley refused to allow doctors to examine his surgically repaired knee at the Combine.

Gurley tore his ACL last November, the lone red flag on his otherwise spotless resume. Per Silver, it is considered "highly unusual, if not unprecedented" for a player to turn down his physical at the Combine. People inside the NFL still think highly of Gurley, but may not have full medical information on him until the Combine re-check closer to the draft. We can't speculate on why Gurley refused the exam, but it's definitely an eyebrow-raising decision.
Source: Mike Silver on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer Denzel Perryman, one of top ILB in draft, says he met w/ #Vikings' LB coach Adam Zimmer at Senior Bowl, expects to talk again tonight
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MikeSilver Update on Gurley: I'm told that his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, did not want 32 teams poking and prodding his surgically repaired knee...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I want our first pick to be a CB in the worst possible way, but I'm sure I'll be happy no matter who we choose.