Cousins Extended

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Cousins Extended

Post by IIsweet »

This is actually the year for the extension. The free agent class of QB is very weak. The draft class does not have a superstar QB. The needs of our team going forward are improving the defense and getting younger there. This is the perfect draft class to do so.
There is a new DC in town and changes to the scheme. Investing in that side of the ball makes a lot of sense.
Keeping Cousins around allows this team to have a proven QB and he has a repertoire with our skill guys already.
I just feel that we need to draft defense a lot this year and then look at drafting a QB in 2023 unless Mond can run the offense.
It also gives the players the feeling that we are trying to win now. They are already excited with new coaching, but also the fact that they are trying to win now and not rebuild is good for veteran player morale.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:39 am

I absolutely disagree with you Cousins gets no more excuses.
When Cousins was supposed to be scoring touchdowns. We was settling for 3 and outs and field goals that’s all on Cousins.
....the guy threw for 33 TDs. Tied for 7th in the NFL. I mean we could go back to the Teddy Bridgewater days where he's averaging 14 TDs a year
You forgot to add this.
The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:23 am

....the guy threw for 33 TDs. Tied for 7th in the NFL. I mean we could go back to the Teddy Bridgewater days where he's averaging 14 TDs a year
You forgot to add this.
The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.
Ok? Why is that a "problem"? That's above average with a poor interior and a dinosaur for a HC that paid zero attention to this offense. With KOC coming in, I expect that number to go up barring any crazy injuries. I can tell you what IS a problem is the defense being ranked 31st.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:36 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:27 pm A lot of people will be eating crow after this year. Kirk is going to have a career year if they shore up the middle offensive line. Kirk was playing under one of the worst coaches in the league prior to this year. This QB draft sucks, Mond is unknown to this brain trust, next year's QB won't have to be rushed out there as a rookie (if they draft one).
For me it will depend on what that "career year" means. If he puts up yet another good statistical season, one in which we miss the playoffs yet again, or go one and done in the playoffs once again; I certainly won't feel good about it.

I'm excited about KOC and have been since the hire. If he gets more out of Kirk and this team as a whole, and it leads to playoff success, I'll be very happy. As I'm sure nearly everyone on the board will be.

I've beat this drum to death, but I maintain Cousins is not nearly as bad as many proclaim, and not nearly as amazing as others proclaim. But the name of the game is winning, especially in the playoffs. And no single position in any team sport is more important to the quarterback position when it comes to winning games.
Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. I thought he was a dam good QB and he had the stats. If winning the Super Bowl is the measuring stick for good/bad QBs then there haven't been too many good QBs in the NFL. Our best Fran never won a Super Bowl. Lost 3 of them. Elli Manning has 2 which to me is outstanding. Some question if he was a good QB. Kirk is certainly better than going into a season with nothing at QB. Will we win the Super Bowl. I doubt it. Will Green Bay win the Super Bowl I doubt it and Rodgers is the best in the NFC. There wasn't a bunch picking the Rams last year. The Bucs weren't the favorites the year before that. The Bucs could win it again with Brady back. I do know this you won't see a team challenge with nothing at QB. The Saints have a good team but nothing at QB. They are done. They know it also. We should always be looking to upgrade. That means the draft. This year has very little based on the evaluations. But a guy could be good some day. Like 3-5 years down the road.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Forgot to add, Kirk really is a great thrower of the football. I am not a fan of him, but he does throw a great ball, when he is not pressured. Maybe we add some FA interior OL and focus on defense with the draft.
Regardless, if he can be protected, then maybe we have a guy that can light up the scoreboards. He will not be told to always check down from here on ! No longer MSU, nor Zimball.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Forgot to add, Kirk really is a great thrower of the football. I am not a fan of him, but he does throw a great ball, when he is not pressured. Maybe we add some FA interior OL and focus on defense with the draft.
Regardless, if he can be protected, then maybe we have a guy that can light up the scoreboards. He will not be told to always check down from here on ! No longer MSU, nor Zimball.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 am
halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 am

You forgot to add this.
Ok? Why is that a "problem"? That's above average with a poor interior and a dinosaur for a HC that paid zero attention to this offense. With KOC coming in, I expect that number to go up barring any crazy injuries. I can tell you what IS a problem is the defense being ranked 31st.
Cousins career records speaks for itself. He has had good teams, Super Bowl coaches.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:52 am
vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:36 am

For me it will depend on what that "career year" means. If he puts up yet another good statistical season, one in which we miss the playoffs yet again, or go one and done in the playoffs once again; I certainly won't feel good about it.

I'm excited about KOC and have been since the hire. If he gets more out of Kirk and this team as a whole, and it leads to playoff success, I'll be very happy. As I'm sure nearly everyone on the board will be.

I've beat this drum to death, but I maintain Cousins is not nearly as bad as many proclaim, and not nearly as amazing as others proclaim. But the name of the game is winning, especially in the playoffs. And no single position in any team sport is more important to the quarterback position when it comes to winning games.
Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. I thought he was a dam good QB and he had the stats. If winning the Super Bowl is the measuring stick for good/bad QBs then there haven't been too many good QBs in the NFL. Our best Fran never won a Super Bowl. Lost 3 of them. Elli Manning has 2 which to me is outstanding. Some question if he was a good QB. Kirk is certainly better than going into a season with nothing at QB. Will we win the Super Bowl. I doubt it. Will Green Bay win the Super Bowl I doubt it and Rodgers is the best in the NFC. There wasn't a bunch picking the Rams last year. The Bucs weren't the favorites the year before that. The Bucs could win it again with Brady back. I do know this you won't see a team challenge with nothing at QB. The Saints have a good team but nothing at QB. They are done. They know it also. We should always be looking to upgrade. That means the draft. This year has very little based on the evaluations. But a guy could be good some day. Like 3-5 years down the road.
I didn't say a word about the Super Bowl. It's obvious that it is VERY hard to win one. Many amazing players go their entire career without winning one. I've said as much on this board many times.

I'll go a step farther and say making the playoffs is difficult. Though these days half of the league makes it so I'm sure that could be argued. It doesn't change my stance on Cousins, or the QB position in general. It's the same topic that comes up countless times on this board in regard to Cousins.

Was your example with Marino meant to compare him with Kirk?! :shock:

I think anyone trying to be objective would agree that the ONLY thing those two have in common is that neither won a Super Bowl. The guy made it to the playoffs in like 10 seasons. He made it to a Super Bowl. He was a Pro Bowl player like 10 times and All-Pro something like 6 times. 61,000 passing yards. He's in the Hall of Fame. Mentioning these two players in the same sentence in regards to their football talent is laughable. And this coming from a guy that doesn't mind Cousins near as much as other posters.

But you are right. Neither have won a Super Bowl so in that way they are similar. And you are right that winning Super Bowls is hard. And if Kirk plays another decade and gets even half of the accolades and stats that Marino has I'll look at him differently. :lol:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

vikeinmontana wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:19 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:52 am
I didn't say a word about the Super Bowl. It's obvious that it is VERY hard to win one. Many amazing players go their entire career without winning one. I've said as much on this board many times.

I'll go a step farther and say making the playoffs is difficult. Those these days half of the league makes it so I'm sure that could be argued. It doesn't change my stance on Cousins, or the QB position in general. It's the same topic that comes up countless times on this board in regard to Cousins.

Was your example with Marino meant to compare him with Kirk?! :shock:

I think anyone trying to be subjective would agree that the ONLY thing those two have in common is that neither won a Super Bowl. The guy made it to the playoffs in like 10 seasons. He made it to a Super Bowl. He was a Pro Bowl player like 10 times and All-Pro something like 6 times. 61,000 passing yards. He's in the Hall of Fame. Mentioning these two players in the same sentence in regards to their football talent is laughable. And this coming from a guy that doesn't mind Cousins near as much as other posters.

But you are right. Neither have won a Super Bowl so in that way they are similar. And you are right that winning Super Bowls is hard. And if Kirk plays another decade and gets even half of the accolades and stats that Marino has I'll look at him differently. :lol:
I wasn't comparing Kirk to anybody. My entire point is that winning a Super Bowl is extremely difficult. Marino is a HOFer Kirk will never be that. You need a good team at all levels to win the dam thing. That's why Marino never won one. That was the point. The Phins never had a defense under him. Some posters hate Kirk and it's there opinion which is fine. We all have an opinion. IMO our defense sucks. Even when it was No 1 they didn't play well in the playoffs. The Saints ripped them the 2nd half and we needed a miracle to win the game. When we went to SF with Kirk our D was rolled over on the ground. It was embarrassing. Philly embarrassed them. It was the same old story with Zim's D. Never went out and took a playoff game over. The Eagles defense took the Champ game over. We only put up 7 points and that was on the first drive. I thought it would be a cakewalk with the No 1 D playing against a backup stiff QB. That D folded and showed their true colors. No Viking fan liked that performance. A team won't make the Super Bowl when getting destroyed on D in the playoffs.I don't care who the QB is. If they dumped Cousins I certainly wouldn't cry about it. I do know this. He gives our current team the best opportunity to win. Putting some bum in there won't help. That was showed last year against the Packers.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Hunter Morrow wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:19 pm If we never extended him, we could have been done with him before last season and wouldn't have been in a position to extend him for another season. We're 3 years behind on a necessary rebuild. We could have had a new GM, HC and quarterback for an entire season already. That's what drives me crazy with this Cousins extension of the extension and extending Spielman and Zimmer off that wild card game. It genuinely put this franchise 3+ years behind where it should be taking into account that void year stuff which is relief now for pain later. I hate it. I cannot tell you how much I hate this.

:wallbang: :soap
Kirk is a very good QB. Sure we could have gone the rebuild route and good chance we'd be rebuilding for the next 10 years.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:29 pm I am man enough to say it.

I. Was. Wrong.

Did not see this coming. Not at all. But now I’m seeing images of KOC with his signed Kirk Cousins Redskins jersey in a shadow box (wait … I can’t say the “R” word, can I?), complete with a note calling KOC the best coach ever in the whole wide world. I guess KOC wasn’t kidding. He really does like Kirk.

What stuns me is that Cousins actually agreed to a somewhat team-friendly deal … although with another fully guaranteed contract.

OK Mr. O’Connell. Now we’re gonna see just how much of a quarterback whisperer you are.
I think it is a good deal in the Bizarre world of NFL QBs. I was hoping to get him for $30 Million, but with the new QB deals being signed that was a pipe dream.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:21 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:29 pm I am man enough to say it.

I. Was. Wrong.

Did not see this coming. Not at all. But now I’m seeing images of KOC with his signed Kirk Cousins Redskins jersey in a shadow box (wait … I can’t say the “R” word, can I?), complete with a note calling KOC the best coach ever in the whole wide world. I guess KOC wasn’t kidding. He really does like Kirk.

What stuns me is that Cousins actually agreed to a somewhat team-friendly deal … although with another fully guaranteed contract.

OK Mr. O’Connell. Now we’re gonna see just how much of a quarterback whisperer you are.
Nothing team friendly about this deal. It is another Cousins special that is lose lose for the franchise. If he plays well on it, which he won't, he gets even more money in 2023. If he plays poorly or the same as he has the past 4 seasons, we will have wasted another 35 million on him.

Lose-lose.

KAM has now failed in his first two big moves as GM and is off to a really rough start. Dude better nail the draft or he might not make it 3 years.
I agree that he messed up on the hiring of the coach as it should have been Harbaugh, but this is not a bad deal for Kirk.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:42 pm
40for60 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:29 pm
Right, the worst part is he has a no trade clause.
Not real happy with the no trade clause either.
The no trade clause is proof that the Vikings management believes in Kirk.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:27 pm A lot of people will be eating crow after this year. Kirk is going to have a career year if they shore up the middle offensive line. Kirk was playing under one of the worst coaches in the league prior to this year. This QB draft sucks, Mond is unknown to this brain trust, next year's QB won't have to be rushed out there as a rookie (if they draft one).
:rock: :govikes:
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:40 pm
:rock: :govikes:
Considering the Vikings have the 13th easiest schedule this year, and an extra home game.
I would expect them to have a better season.
You know what them easy schedules come from? Kirk not winning :shock: