Cousins Extended

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cousins Extended

Post by StumpHunter »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:57 am Kirk was offered more money by the Jets.
He was offered more money in a higher tax state, from a team that would have seriously limited his future earning potential compared to going to the far more talented Vikings team. Kirk isn't stupid and he knows going to the Jets would have ruined his career.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:24 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:22 pm
First of all, many people recognize that the defense needs fixed. That’s the whole point of not wanting so much tied up in the quarterback … no money to fix the defense.

Yes, every person should do the most they can for themselves and their family. I don’t begrudge Cousins that.

But pro sports are just a different animal. Major League Baseball just raised the minimum salary to $750,000. I can’t even imagine making that much money. NBA players on the end of the bench make millions. Example … Otto Porter Jr. averages 20 minutes per game and makes $2.4 million. Jonathan Kuminga makes $5.5 million … he’s 19 years old.

Now look at NFL quarterbacks. Most starters who are not on their rookie deals make north of $20 million a year. Chicago paid its backups $16 million in 2021. Chase Daniel has more than $28 million in career earnings … he has exactly two wins. If you make $60,000 per year, you’d have to work 100 years to equal the money Nick Foles made last year. It’s insane.

So the question I have for Cousins is this: Do you want to win a Super Bowl, or do you want to win the negotiation? Three times now, he’s shown us his answer. He’s a smart guy. He knows the more the Vikings spend on him, the less they have to build a winner. It appears he doesn’t care.

By the time his contract expires, Kirk Cousins will have made $231 million for his career. You and I can’t even fathom what that means. It’s generational wealth. Cousins’ great grandchildren will still be benefiting from it. How much is enough, Kirk?

In some ways, I guess Cousins deserves congratulations. He’s the greatest negotiator in NFL history.
One team a year wins a Super Bowl. Do you think they were the only players that wanted to win it. This year the Bengals didn't care and that's why they lost? I'm sure you played sports and people go out there and try to win. Even in armature golf they play to win and I played that type of stuff in my life with money on the line. This is the career that these people choose. Very few people make it to the NFL. They all are paid well compared to the average person. Yes 231 million is off the charts. I'm sure there are people worth billions who think how can someone live on only 230 million. I don't know why a fan would get pissed at any athlete trying to make as much as they can. Our guy Cook is making a ton. Are people pissed at actors? How about surgeons? They make money. The Bengals signed one of our former 1st round bust draft picks Trae Waynes in FA. It hasn't worked out the way they had hoped. Signing FA stiffs isn't the answer. Having nothing at QB isn't either. I stopped watching baseball when the world series was cancelled in 1994. The players said they don't give a #### about the world series. That's true. They want the money and I don't blame them. The NFL is entertainment. IMO I'm glad we signed Cousins he gives us the best shot at winning. The haters will say he sucks and doesn't care about winning. Deshaun Watson has a career record of 28-25-0. He don't care either and he makes good money. He has a no trade clause. But he's not a loser with that record. There's other losers out there also.
Cry me a river.

My wife works at a company whose CEO makes about $500,000 a year, with the potential for a 50% bonus. The company’s annual revenue is roughly $500 million.

Kirk Cousins will make $45 million in 2022. Do you know what the Minnesota Vikings’ revenue was in 2019, the year before the pandemic? $448 million.

But hey, get all you can. Man’s gotta feed his family.

There is such a thing as enough. Tom Brady has figured that out. He has seven rings. Kirk Cousins hasn’t. He’s never won so much as a high school championship.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:55 am

The Saints, Broncos (pre-Wilson), Bucs, Colts, Redskins, Steelers, and Seahawks probably would off the top of my head.
Considering one of those teams has already refused to pay Cousins that type of money and one is starting Tom Brady next season, I am not sure how accurate that list is.

I also think you are conflating a need for a QB with a willingness to overpay for one that doesn't actually make the team better.
If he hit the open market he would make more. The Bucs without Brady would have paid him if they had the cap. The Redskins were under different management.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:07 am
StumpHunter wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:29 am
Considering one of those teams has already refused to pay Cousins that type of money and one is starting Tom Brady next season, I am not sure how accurate that list is.

I also think you are conflating a need for a QB with a willingness to overpay for one that doesn't actually make the team better.
If he hit the open market he would make more. The Bucs without Brady would have paid him if they had the cap. The Redskins were under different management.
Yes, that's why Kirk signs short fully guaranteed expensive deals with no trade clauses... Because every team is stupid enough to give into this crap... Sorry, I was really excited about the new hires, but it's going all Vikings on me again. We ARE the Charlie Brown of football, and Lucy's a ####.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:59 am Foreman44..Maybe talking crazy here,

How much of this decision was forced on them. Cousins can play football, win games when a defense plays. But will he be the man if you are down 17 points and have to put the team upon his back. Like Brady,Rodgers, Russell, Mahones, etc.. I don’t think so.

How much was forced on the Vikings when Denver signed Russell. I believe talk of Washington having interest. But they are out. Watson a ? Mark. Maybe Indianapolis?
Maybe they felt Couples is there best shot, like it or not.
Maybe nothing I said makes sense.

We definitely need to fix our o line, and build a solid defense

:) I
fiestavike wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:33 pm

I still remain unconvinced that Mark Wilf, Zygi Wilf, or Kwesi know what the hell they are doing when it comes to football.
The Vikings trailed 20-7 early in the fourth quarter before Cousins showed his moxie at Lambeau.

He hit Diggs for a 3-yard touchdown to pull the Vikings within one score. Then, after a Green Bay field goal Cousins aired out a 75-yard touchdown to Diggs, which was the sixth-longest touchdown pass of his career and the longest of Diggs' career.

"I think I could've gotten more into it," said Cousins when asked if the heave was as far as he could throw a football. "I think what was impressive about that play was finishing. If he gets tackled there or is short, who knows if we come away with a field goal or a touchdown.

Minnesota later trailed 29-21 with 1:45 left before Cousins orchestrated a game-tying, 75-yard drive in the clutch.

The series ended with a 22-yard touchdown pass to Thielen on a perfect throw from Cousins, who then found Diggs for the 2-point conversion. The haters will call a 22 yard TD pass Mr Check down.

That set up overtime, where Cousins completed seven of nine passes for 85 yards. He twice led the Vikings down the field to get in field goal range, but Minnesota missed both attempts.

There is your comeback. Mr Check down can complete some long passes. He played well in OT but as usual we had a kicker who couldn't make a kick when it would have given us the win. I've seen that happen before (Anderson) and after. That's part of our franchise history. ST need to play ball also.
neb33
Waterboy

Post by neb33 »

Kirk isn't a great QB, but he does rank right up there with the best in the game at present time. I'm not all thrilled about him as QB but he does need help on O line and a better D. I do give him credit for the extension to lower that cap number this year and down the road.

My question is who the Viking could have got as QB for less money and as equal quality of play? More money would have been spent and less money to fix problem areas that need fixing to be a SB contender. Having continuity is a big deal also.

Rodger is a great QB and never made it of the gate. Lol

I just not see another QB out there that would be better right now than what they have.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:21 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:29 pm I am man enough to say it.

I. Was. Wrong.

Did not see this coming. Not at all. But now I’m seeing images of KOC with his signed Kirk Cousins Redskins jersey in a shadow box (wait … I can’t say the “R” word, can I?), complete with a note calling KOC the best coach ever in the whole wide world. I guess KOC wasn’t kidding. He really does like Kirk.

What stuns me is that Cousins actually agreed to a somewhat team-friendly deal … although with another fully guaranteed contract.

OK Mr. O’Connell. Now we’re gonna see just how much of a quarterback whisperer you are.
Nothing team friendly about this deal. It is another Cousins special that is lose lose for the franchise. If he plays well on it, which he won't, he gets even more money in 2023. If he plays poorly or the same as he has the past 4 seasons, we will have wasted another 35 million on him.

Lose-lose.

KAM has now failed in his first two big moves as GM and is off to a really rough start. Dude better nail the draft or he might not make it 3 years.
Agree Stump, with me Kam has to strikes already.
Going to be interesting to see who gets cut to try and fill the wholes.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Chad Graff, The Athletic.

Last month, Vikings co-owners Mark and Zygi Wilf stood shoulder to shoulder near the 50-yard line of the team’s practice facility moments after introducing Kevin O’Connell as the franchise’s new head coach. It was a proud day for the organization, they said, and they beamed watching O’Connell mingle alongside new general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah.

It also seemed like a golden time for them to usher in a new era of Vikings football with a rebuild and a reset of the previous regime that experienced some success but was never able to achieve its ultimate goal. By the end, it was clear change was needed. The offensive line was a mess, the defense was worse and the quarterback occupied a massive portion of the salary cap. The team hadn’t been over .500 for two full years.

But the owners were adamant they didn’t need to rebuild. This is a team they expected to be in the playoffs. With new leadership and better coaching, they insisted, this Vikings team should compete for a spot in the postseason year after year.

On Sunday night, one day before NFL teams are allowed to discuss potential contracts with free agents, the Wilfs and the Vikings doubled down on that idea, agreeing to a one-year contract extension with Kirk Cousins that ties him to the franchise through the 2023 season. The new contract, which comes with two void years at the end, according to a source, lowers Cousins’ cap hit $14 million to $31.4 million in 2022 but comes with a $35 million, fully guaranteed extension and a no-trade clause. The agreement comes after multiple teams expressed interest in trading for Cousins, according to sources, but instead leaves the Vikings committed to the 33-year-old quarterback in a clear sign that they will be doing everything in their power to snap a two-year skid without a playoff berth.

“Kirk was one of the first players I called when I joined the Vikings, and it was immediately clear how much he cares about this organization and about winning,” Adofo-Mensah said in a statement following his first major move at the helm. “High-level quarterback play is a prerequisite to building a championship team, and we are confident Kirk will continue along that path.”

For the Vikings, the move provides salary cap flexibility at a time when it’s badly needed. Additional moves to lower their cap number are expected in the coming days, which will allow them to sign a few players, including likely a guard and cornerback, when free agency officially opens Wednesday.

The deal also gives Adofo-Mensah and O’Connell a quarterback they feel they can win with at a time when ownership has made its desires clear. O’Connell is convinced, according to sources, that he can help Cousins achieve the best season of his career with an innovative scheme while connecting with him off the field.

For Cousins, it’s another shrewd move for a quarterback who has financially leveraged his situation throughout his career better than arguably any other in the NFL. He held all the cards in the latest round of negotiations with the Vikings but didn’t want to leave a team where he had Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen to throw to, all while benefiting from a Dalvin Cook-led running attack. He enjoyed his brief time in Washington when O’Connell was his quarterbacks coach and feels he’ll succeed in the new scheme. That, in Cousins’ dream scenario, will lead to big numbers and another chance at a big contract. Plus, Cousins was able to add a no-trade clause via this extension, so he’ll again have plenty of leverage after this season.

But what does it get in the big picture?

The Vikings are undergoing a changing of the guard — except at the most important position. They’ve welcomed a new regime focused on innovation and collaboration, but they return a quarterback with a 33-29-1 record with the Vikings and a 59-59-2 career mark. So how much change can they expect?

If you ask ownership, quite a bit. The Vikings played in a record-setting number of close games last season. With better coaching, they feel, more of those close losses will flip to wins, and the Vikings will be back in the playoffs.

But it’s also fair to acknowledge that the roster needs some massive improvements. Despite the star names, it’s a roster with very little depth, virtually no cornerbacks, a depleted defensive line and major concerns on the interior of the offensive line.

Perhaps this is the start of a flurry of transactions for the Vikings, who need to soon make a decision on Danielle Hunter and could restructure the contracts of Adam Thielen and Eric Kendricks.

But a decision on Cousins had to come first, and now the Vikings’ plan is clear. It doesn’t matter that the last two years have ended in disappointment. The Vikings are spurning a rebuild in hopes that the core of this roster, led by Cousins, will be able to get over the hump with a new coach and general manager.

(Photo: David Berding / Getty Images)
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:40 pm I think it was a smart move. If our new GM/HC felt Cousins sucks he would be out of here. They have the power and fresh eyes. Against the Packers last year Cousins beat them 34-31. Without him we got our a$$ kicked 37-10. The D sucked in both games but Cousins showed he could get some points on the board.
I absolutely disagree with you Cousins gets no more excuses.
When Cousins was supposed to be scoring touchdowns. We was settling for 3 and outs and field goals

The problem was that the offense was 13th in points per game last year and 11th in 2020.That’s all on Cousins.
Last edited by halfgiz on Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I think it's clear that we, as fans, were ready for a rebuild of the roster, and the decision makers do not think we need one. That's what is frustrating. I think most fans are willing to regress in the short term for long term gains at this point. This comes across as the opposite. The Wilfs don't want to have a "bad" year imo. Blah.

Hopefully new coaching staff and front office can build something different around kirk. Skeptical right now though.

On thing it makes me wonder though, this appears to send a message that they think the coaching staff was the issue. Really curious what will happen with other roster hold-over questions. If they start keeping them and going back in to win now.... then it means they think Rick built the appropriate roster. : |
Last edited by makila on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:31 pm Cousins would have made more on the open market. He is a top 10 QB. Those guys get paid big.
I don’t know any top 10 QB’s with a losing record. How many can you name?
I’m guessing there wasn’t a lot of interest in Cousins for the money.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I’m feeling sorry for all those who typed pages long evaluations arguing for and against Cousins. They probably got a case of carpal tunnel and two more years of Kirk.

Things I have learned since 1961. (1) the Vikings never take my advice and (2) whatever I think they will probably do the opposite.

We got our QB question answered, now let’s just tighten our belts and get ready for a wild two day ride.

On a more serious note Kirk will be here for two of our new management’s four years. This gives us a chance to try Kirk under KOC, draft a QB in ‘23, sit him for a year with a clipboard, dump Kirk and clear a ton of cap and still have a couple years left. This could work out well or could be a bust but the entertainment value will keep on giving year around for the next four. If I can’t see a SB win after rooting for these guys their entire existence at least let them entertain.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:22 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:30 pm
Don't you think people should be about themselves? Nobody will hand you anything. You might get a chance. A no trade clause can be signed off by the player. Wilson had a no trade clause and so does Watson. I guess they are about themselves also. Kirk was given an opportunity when he was drafted in the 4th round and he made the most of it. Do you think that was just handed to him? I guess he just sat around clubbing it every night and did nothing. Punched in and was the first to punch out. IMO he worked hard and showed something in camp that allowed him to make the team. He started a game his 1st year for an injured RG ME and kept the season alive. If he didn't care about himself or the team or winning that never would have happened. Give the guy some credit for making himself what he is. I'm sure many threw better talent out the window like RG ME. He's still trying to get back in and keeps getting cut. Sloter keeps trying and can't make it. I'll give Kirk credit he was told you might be a backup some day when he was going through the draft process. If our defense continues to suck we don't have a chance. Very few look at that part.
First of all, many people recognize that the defense needs fixed. That’s the whole point of not wanting so much tied up in the quarterback … no money to fix the defense.
But is that true? Last year the Vikings spent $30+ million in offseason money on their defense. I'm not sure how much money a team really needs to fix their defense but getting Hunter back helps fix that defense PLUS saves money. Going with an Akiem Hicks and cutting Pierce can save money. Restructuring guys like Kendricks and Smith can save money and keep them around. Like sure, there are holes right now but given this is a defensive heavy draft and we will be able to free up enough space to get some pieces in place, I'm not freaking out over this.

Given that we had the #1 defense in the NFL not too long ago, I feel like everyone strives to get back to that point and think to themselves, well how can we get the #31 ranked defense back up to #1? Remember, we dont need a #1 defense in the NFL to be successful. If we can simply get this defense to top 15 lets say, then this team can be very dangerous. Especially with the offensive pieces we have. Shore up at least the guard spot and maybe center, and this is a very solid team.

So again, trying to build up our defense from 31st to top 15, isn't out of the realm whatsoever with or without Cousins on this team. Sure, having the #1 defense in the NFL is great and all, but there are plenty of teams that have won the SB without the #1 defense in the NFL.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:39 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:40 pm I think it was a smart move. If our new GM/HC felt Cousins sucks he would be out of here. They have the power and fresh eyes. Against the Packers last year Cousins beat them 34-31. Without him we got our a$$ kicked 37-10. The D sucked in both games but Cousins showed he could get some points on the board.
I absolutely disagree with you Cousins gets no more excuses.
When Cousins was supposed to be scoring touchdowns. We was settling for 3 and outs and field goals that’s all on Cousins.
....the guy threw for 33 TDs. Tied for 7th in the NFL. I mean we could go back to the Teddy Bridgewater days where he's averaging 14 TDs a year
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:27 pm A lot of people will be eating crow after this year. Kirk is going to have a career year if they shore up the middle offensive line. Kirk was playing under one of the worst coaches in the league prior to this year. This QB draft sucks, Mond is unknown to this brain trust, next year's QB won't have to be rushed out there as a rookie (if they draft one).
For me it will depend on what that "career year" means. If he puts up yet another good statistical season, one in which we miss the playoffs yet again, or go one and done in the playoffs once again; I certainly won't feel good about it.

I'm excited about KOC and have been since the hire. If he gets more out of Kirk and this team as a whole, and it leads to playoff success, I'll be very happy. As I'm sure nearly everyone on the board will be.

I've beat this drum to death, but I maintain Cousins is not nearly as bad as many proclaim, and not nearly as amazing as others proclaim. But the name of the game is winning, especially in the playoffs. And no single position in any team sport is more important to the quarterback position when it comes to winning games.
i'm ready for a beer.