2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2017 Vikings Free Agency Thread (Discussion Thread)

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Thaumaturgist wrote: It fits right in with how I'm feeling about the rest of the team.

:puke:
Because we didnt fill every OL need in FA?? Because we dont have a RB yet even though the good ones are in the draft which is still a month away?? Just curious as to why the team is worth "throwing up" over?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
kyvikingsfan
Waterboy

Post by kyvikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Like I said, what is the point of not paying AD if we are not going to do anything. I get that $18 million is way too much, but what have we done with the extra money?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I agree completely. I though maybe we were going to get Charles, but now it looks like he is going to Seahawks. Maybe we are saving that money for next year when we have to pay Rhodes, but I'm tired of the next year talk. With the defense we have I want a team that can compete day one. So far it looks like we might need to pick up a couple QB's cause it was a miracle Bradford didn't get hurt last year with that Line.
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

About Remmers, as mentioned above a couple of times...

Mike Remmers could be making a return to Minnesota.

According to multiple reports, Remmers will meet with the Vikings on Friday as the team looks to add to their ranks along the offensive line. Remmers will visit the Houston Texans over the weekend.

The former Carolina Panthers right tackle had a short stint with the Vikings in 2013 after he was claimed off of waivers in November of that year. He would later sign for the Panthers where he established himself as the starting right tackle, a position he will play with his next team. Remmers was initially signed by the Rams as undrafted free agent.

The Vikings have been active in free agency already, signing former Detroit Lions offensive tackle Riley Reiff. Reiff moved from left to right tackle in 2016, however should the Vikings sign Remmers, would likely flip back to the left side to compensate for his arrival.

http://min.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-OT ... --51699584
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

I find it a little concerning that we are supposedly looking into wide receivers like Jeffrey and Floyd. We currently have Diggs, hopefully resigning Thielen to a decent contract, Wright, and Treadwell. My main concern really is what does this say about Treadwell? Is this an indication they don't believe in him? And only after one year? Lots of questions about him and these reports aren't encouraging.
Last edited by MikethePurple on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Lacy at first. After thinking it over it may not be a bad move. The key is to not think of him as a replacement for AD, think of him as a replacement for Asiata.. then it makes sense. I believe they will draft a RB too and go with a committee approach.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If lacy could get his weight down he would
be a better pass catcher in the backfield
but Lacy still looks 60 pounds overweight
or so.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

jackal wrote:If lacy could get his weight down he would
be a better pass catcher in the backfield
but Lacy still looks 60 pounds overweight
or so.
Perhaps a move to Minneapolis - away from the cheese curds, butter burgers, and beer that are staples of the Green Bay diet - will do him well.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

nightowl wrote:I wasn't thrilled with the idea of Lacy at first. After thinking it over it may not be a bad move. The key is to not think of him as a replacement for AD, think of him as a replacement for Asiata.. then it makes sense. I believe they will draft a RB too and go with a committee approach.
His pay would likely make it hard for him to feel like an Asiata replacement, as he is sure to command much more then Asiata. but as far as the last couple years go, I don't think AD is a significant upgrade over him. 2015 was Lacy's worst year while AD was busy having a rather good year, and even then Lacy's ypc is only .4 lower, when you consider past week 4 every team in the league was playing the Packers heavy in the box and daring our 25th ranked passing game to throw, that is rather impressive, and again, that was Lacys bad year at any rate.

Lacy is the kind of back you can build a team around, he is a bruising hardnosed runner who is great at breaking tackles and pushing the pile, in addition to being a significantly better pass catcher and blocker then AP is/was. I think the Packers, Vikings, and Seahawks would all be very good destinations for him.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Because we didnt fill every OL need in FA?? Because we dont have a RB yet even though the good ones are in the draft which is still a month away?? Just curious as to why the team is worth "throwing up" over?
Because it's the Vikings, and they are so maddeningly frustrating. Because they have put themselves in this position. Because they just provide lip service... Yea, we know the OL is bad, but we're going to spend our $ on an average lineman. Don't worry, we have multiple 6'th and 7'th round draft picks to get our next lineman. Ugh.... I'm tired of the mediocrity, and I'm just frustrated with the team, and the direction they seem to be taking in fixing the problems. That's OK, right?
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Because it's the Vikings, and they are so maddeningly frustrating. Because they have put themselves in this position. Because they just provide lip service... Yea, we know the OL is bad, but we're going to spend our $ on an average lineman. Don't worry, we have multiple 6'th and 7'th round draft picks to get our next lineman. Ugh.... I'm tired of the mediocrity, and I'm just frustrated with the team, and the direction they seem to be taking in fixing the problems. That's OK, right?
Big spenders in FA get burnt significantly more then not.

You guys signed a good tackle, and still have a draft and all of the rest of free agency to continue to address the line, just relax! Free agency is a marathon, not a sprint.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Did you pay attention to who were free agents for tackles?? There werent many "above average" offensive tackles. So where do you expect them to sign an above average tackle?? Look at the pathetic moves other teams made for Kalil and Okung. Did you want to be one of those teams?? What did you expect from us in FA?? There arent many elite players out there. Signing Riley Reiff isnt a good way to solve an OL problem?? What is then?
So, you admit there were above average tackles in free agency. Hopefully they would have signed one of them. The only other thing I'd have done, and it's pretty hard to do, if not damn near impossible :wink: , but go back 5-10 years, and not get into this mess in the first place. I'm just sick of the state of this team, and just expressing that.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Matt Vensel retweeted

Greg Auman
@gregauman
16m
Arizona State kicker Zane Gonzalez says the Vikings and Browns are working him out Monday.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

#Vikings WR/returner Cordarrelle Patterson, who just visited the #Redskins, is off to visit with the #Raiders, source said.
1:21 PM - 10 Mar 2017
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Vikings sign RT Mike Remmers for $30 million 5 years. Former LT/RT for Carolina Panthers.

Ah yes, nothing like signing a guy from an OL that gave up 8 sacks in one game to our defense last year. :D
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

720pete wrote:Vikings sign RT Mike Remmers for $30 million 5 years. Former LT/RT for Carolina Panthers.

Ah yes, nothing like signing a guy from an OL that gave up 8 sacks in one game to our defense last year. :D
He's actually a pretty decent RT
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

720pete wrote:Vikings sign RT Mike Remmers for $30 million 5 years. Former LT/RT for Carolina Panthers.

Worst than that... he's the weak link on the 8 sack unit.