2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by Cliff »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 am Time to get aggressive at qb, even if Kirk gets resigned. I personally think they target Daniels, if the rumours are true that Viking tried desperately to trade for Richardson then Daniels is the closest qb to him in the current draft. Can the Vikings make a reasonable trade to get Daniels will be the question. But they gotta do something, we need to take a qb high we are in on and I don’t think the 2nd tier of QBs are going to do it.
So much changes between now and draft day it's hard to know but it's possible they just won't have a trade partner. The "pros" aren't always good at predicting where QBs are going to go in the draft. There's been a lot of awkward moments for QBs sitting in the Green Room that were projected to go high but fell into the middle-to-low 1st round. One or two that ended up not even going in the 1st round. If they do have a chance at a top tier prospect I hope they make a move.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 pm Here's another Mock using PFN. Traded back got
15 McCarthy. (I really don't want to take him at 11. I'm almost certain we can trade back at least a bit and still get him)
46 Chop Robinson
50 T'Vondre Sweat
97 Josh Newton CB TCU
109 Jaheim Bell TE FSU
129 Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
165 Beaux Limmer Center Arkansas
178 Jawhar Jordan RB Louisville.

I think this draft is realistic and very good for the Vikings.
The Raiders have pick 13 and they could use a QB. They are probably getting some heat from the hotels who offer packages with Raider tickets that it would be nice to get a name out there. Right now you have nothing we can market. We don't want to lose the business to an Elvis knockoff package.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 am Time to get aggressive at qb, even if Kirk gets resigned. I personally think they target Daniels, if the rumours are true that Viking tried desperately to trade for Richardson then Daniels is the closest qb to him in the current draft. Can the Vikings make a reasonable trade to get Daniels will be the question. But they gotta do something, we need to take a qb high we are in on and I don’t think the 2nd tier of QBs are going to do it.
There will be busts in the first tier of Qbs and there will be winners in the 2nd tier. We just have to make the proper evaluation and pick the right player.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:10 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:44 pm Here's another Mock using PFN. Traded back got
15 McCarthy. (I really don't want to take him at 11. I'm almost certain we can trade back at least a bit and still get him)
46 Chop Robinson
50 T'Vondre Sweat
97 Josh Newton CB TCU
109 Jaheim Bell TE FSU
129 Trevin Wallace LB Kentucky
165 Beaux Limmer Center Arkansas
178 Jawhar Jordan RB Louisville.

I think this draft is realistic and very good for the Vikings.
The Raiders have pick 13 and they could use a QB. They are probably getting some heat from the hotels who offer packages with Raider tickets that it would be nice to get a name out there. Right now you have nothing we can market. We don't want to lose the business to an Elvis knockoff package.
In this scenario nobody wanted McCarthy in the first 14 picks. Is it possible somebody will? Sure.
The Raiders could use a QB and maybe that QB is Kirk. They could easily not like McCarthy enough to use pick 13 on him. I barely liked him enough to use pick 15. If somebody at 11 to 14 takes McCarthy we just switch to best defender available and take Nix or Penix in round 2.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:10 pm
In this scenario nobody wanted McCarthy in the first 14 picks. Is it possible somebody will? Sure.
The Raiders could use a QB and maybe that QB is Kirk. They could easily not like McCarthy enough to use pick 13 on him. I barely liked him enough to use pick 15. If somebody at 11 to 14 takes McCarthy we just switch to best defender available and take Nix or Penix in round 2.
I didn't realize it was based on a scenario.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What's a reasonable trade? Moving up to the 2nd pick in the draft, which is likely what they'd have to do to secure Daniels, won't be cheap. It will cost a lot of draft capital both this year and probably next year as well that they won't have to spend on other areas of the team, many of which are running pretty lean in terms of younger, up-and-coming talent.

Also, keep in mind that Daniels was really a one-year wonder in terms of his college production. While he shows some unique skills, most of his highlights are of him running ala Lamar Jackson more than throwing or making good decisions with the football when under pressure. Those kinds of plays are fun to watch, but how well will it transfer to the pros, or to KOC's offense?

Not saying making an aggressive move up for Daniels is necessarily a bad idea, but it's just one that if they do it they'd better be as sure as they can of what they're getting in return.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:05 am
So much changes between now and draft day it's hard to know but it's possible they just won't have a trade partner. The "pros" aren't always good at predicting where QBs are going to go in the draft. There's been a lot of awkward moments for QBs sitting in the Green Room that were projected to go high but fell into the middle-to-low 1st round. One or two that ended up not even going in the 1st round. If they do have a chance at a top tier prospect I hope they make a move.
I'm just not nearly as sold on this QB class as I was just a month ago. There are so good prospects, but almost every one of them has some major question marks. Ditto for the 2nd tier guys. This is just a bad draft to be in a position of dire need at QB, and the Vikings are in a position of dire need because they have failed to address it in prior drafts.

I really fear KAM is going to pull a "Ponder" this year and make a costly mistake because he's desperate. I hope he avoids the temptation and either stays put at #11 and takes a defensive player who could likely make an immediate impact or, if he does trade back, look to take a 2nd tier QB there.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:54 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:26 pm
The scenario was the PFN draft simulator. McCarthy lasted until I took him at pick 15. Neither Denver or the Raiders wanted him enough to select him. I didn't want him enough to select him at 11 so I traded back got extra picks and took him at 15.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:36 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:54 pm
The scenario was the PFN draft simulator. McCarthy lasted until I took him at pick 15. Neither Denver or the Raiders wanted him enough to select him. I didn't want him enough to select him at 11 so I traded back got extra picks and took him at 15.
I got it. These scenarios present some interesting players. That 1st DT you picked who can get after the QB seems like a possible dominate player. Bringing pressure up the middle is huge. I think Dexter Lawrence type of play. Be nice if we had a couple 2nd rounders and a 3rd. You could potentially build a roster quick. I like that guy Chop also.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 pm
Cliff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:05 am

I'm just not nearly as sold on this QB class as I was just a month ago. There are so good prospects, but almost every one of them has some major question marks. Ditto for the 2nd tier guys. This is just a bad draft to be in a position of dire need at QB, and the Vikings are in a position of dire need because they have failed to address it in prior drafts.

I really fear KAM is going to pull a "Ponder" this year and make a costly mistake because he's desperate. I hope he avoids the temptation and either stays put at #11 and takes a defensive player who could likely make an immediate impact or, if he does trade back, look to take a 2nd tier QB there.
There is no reason to be desperate. Call me crazy but I thought Mullens showed some talent. Yes he made some stupid turnovers and looked awkward as hell at times but think about the guys history. He had his throwing arm rebuilt. Then he had the back problem. Rehabbing and then thrown to the wolves is a tough deal. When he had a clean pocket he did great. The closer he got to the end zone things got to tight for him. That's something that needs to be looked at. Even Hall did some good things. Putting his head down and getting crushed at the goal line after the run didn't help him. That was the wrong move. It's a learning experience. What's worse is reaching for a nothing QB and giving away draft picks to do it. This is like every year and I have no idea who is going to be good. If there is one good starter from this class it will be a surprise. This Daniels reminds me of Fields. I thought Trevor Lawerence was a great pick. He has more combined TOs than TDs. That's crap. Year 3 was worse than year 2. Again crap. Cousins is 36 and it's ancient. Rodgers is 40 and will suite it up again. Teddy at 31 retired. Age is a factor but it effects each player differently.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I've messed around on the draft simulator and when I stay put not trades I can usually get Dallas Turner at 11 and my choice of Nix/Penix at 42. That would be a reasonably likely way it plays out. How would we all feel about that?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:36 pm I've messed around on the draft simulator and when I stay put not trades I can usually get Dallas Turner at 11 and my choice of Nix/Penix at 42. That would be a reasonably likely way it plays out. How would we all feel about that?
People keep saying they don't want another Ponder in the 1st round. I agree, but why take him in the 2nd instead?

I'm not interested in grabbing a 2nd or 3rd tier QB and pretending they're addressing the QB position another 3 years. I'd rather they resign Cousins and sign a decent backup QB in free agency. Maybe try again next year for a serious shot at QB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:36 pm I've messed around on the draft simulator and when I stay put not trades I can usually get Dallas Turner at 11 and my choice of Nix/Penix at 42. That would be a reasonably likely way it plays out. How would we all feel about that?
I don't care for Penix. I think at 42 I'd rather get a LOS player on either side of the ball. That beast DT who is a monster would be much better at 42 than a nothing QB. I'd take QB Michael Pratt later on. He will probably suck like most if not all of them but if he can sit a few years maybe it can work out. Prescott and Cousins were 4th round picks. Both sat.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:58 pm
cmoss84 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:22 pm I wanted to try this out with zero trades:

11. Dallas Turner (edge) Alabama
42. Michael Penix Jr. (QB) Washington
108. Jamari Thrash (WR) Lousville
129. Sataoa Laumea (OT) Utah
155. Justin Eboigbe (DT) Alabama
165. MarShawn Lloyd (RB) USC
178. Drake Nugent (OC) Michigan
227. Omar Speights (LB) LSU
Penix gets hurt every year. Don't you think that will continue or was it bad luck? I'd prefer a safer pick at 42.
I picked him there because the other main guys were gone and i think it will be too expensive to move up. Hell...Penix, Nix, and McCarthy might go 25-35. This is going to get interesting.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 am
People keep saying they don't want another Ponder in the 1st round. I agree, but why take him in the 2nd instead?

I'm not interested in grabbing a 2nd or 3rd tier QB and pretending they're addressing the QB position another 3 years. I'd rather they resign Cousins and sign a decent backup QB in free agency. Maybe try again next year for a serious shot at QB.
I think both Nix and Penix have a decent shot at being good NFL QBs. That's why I take them in the 2nd round.