O' Neill's best spot longterm

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: O' Neill's best spot longterm

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Do you like Reiff at LT? I think he is decent but I would like him a lot more on the right side. If we were really spoiled maybe even pl at him inside.
I do. When he's healthy. I just don't see enough of a benefit to switch. If anything, Reiff (last year, when healthy) performed better at LT than he did in Detroit at RT. I feel like he's better over there. I wouldn't move him inside. Remmers is a better tackle and he's playing guard (poorly). A lot could depend on the talent we bring in this off-season.
Remmers had a GREAT game against Detroit. His best as a Viking no matter the position.

I don't have a PFF subscription, but I'd wager anything he graded very high.

Why? Maybe it helps that O'Neill is playing next to him, and Reiff was back in the lineup. I don't know. But he was really good. I was stunned.

The line was actually pretty respectable against Detroit. Kirk Cousins officially got hit once on the entire day, and that was on the sack at the end of the first half (by contrast, the Vikings hit Stafford 17 times). And let me tell you ... our line opened a hole big enough for a truck to drive through on Cook's 70-yard dash.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 pm Remmers had a GREAT game against Detroit. His best as a Viking no matter the position.

Why? Maybe it helps that O'Neill is playing next to him, and Reiff was back in the lineup. I don't know. But he was really good. I was stunned.
PFF had Remmers as the top rated RG last week (per his agent, Brett Tessler on Twitter). Good observation by you.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Purple Domination wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:43 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 pm Remmers had a GREAT game against Detroit. His best as a Viking no matter the position.

PFF had Remmers as the top rated RG last week (per his agent, Brett Tessler on Twitter). Good observation by you.
I think pff is generally pretty spot on.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:04 pm For those calling for Reiff to be cut, i have a question: Who is the best OL on the team? Who is #2? Who is #3?

My guess is that Reiff and Elflein will share the top two spots quite consistently if everyone on this board answers the above. So what I have trouble squaring is on a team where the obvious weakness is the OL, WHY (!?!?!) would they want to cut one of their two best players? Especially if that guy is the Left Tackle? I just don't see it. Sorry.
Would you rather have Reiff or money to re-sign Richardson and/or stop Thielen from holding out?
mael·strom

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:15 am
mansquatch wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:04 pm For those calling for Reiff to be cut, i have a question: Who is the best OL on the team? Who is #2? Who is #3?

My guess is that Reiff and Elflein will share the top two spots quite consistently if everyone on this board answers the above. So what I have trouble squaring is on a team where the obvious weakness is the OL, WHY (!?!?!) would they want to cut one of their two best players? Especially if that guy is the Left Tackle? I just don't see it. Sorry.
Would you rather have Reiff or money to re-sign Richardson and/or stop Thielen from holding out?
Are those the only options?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Probably. I doubt anyone restructures.
mael·strom

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Rick Spielman met with the media and confirmed O'Neill won the RT job.

If Remmers continues to play great next to O'Neill, I think we have our OL for the next season in Reiff, Jones, Elflein, Remmers, and O'Neill.

How nasty of a line would that be, eh?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm Rick Spielman met with the media and confirmed O'Neill won the RT job.

If Remmers continues to play great next to O'Neill, I think we have our OL for the next season in Reiff, Jones, Elflein, Remmers, and O'Neill.

Nasty enough to rank in the bottom third of the league.
mael·strom

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:17 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 pm Rick Spielman met with the media and confirmed O'Neill won the RT job.

Nasty enough to rank in the bottom third of the league.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Because we are paying top notch money to him. If an upgrade is available. I rather pay them that money. For instance, Lets say that a draft pick will give us 90% of what Reiff will at LT but we get them at 1 million instead of 7 or 8. Would it not be better to take that and pair them with a top-notch guard at making 7 million? Sometimes, a slight drop in individual ability is worth more if you can approve the rest of the position group especially at Oline.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Possibly. We have 14 million next season. 7 in cap space and about 7 increase each season. I am ignoring the cap space freed up by players leaving on min vet contracts because they will be replaced for the same.

I think Reiff stays but Remmers is gone at 6 million a year. Rudolph should be let go as well or restructured and Sendejo may be gone as well at 5 million. That would free up an additional 20 millon or so.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 pm
dead_poet wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am

I do. When he's healthy. I just don't see enough of a benefit to switch. If anything, Reiff (last year, when healthy) performed better at LT than he did in Detroit at RT. I feel like he's better over there. I wouldn't move him inside. Remmers is a better tackle and he's playing guard (poorly). A lot could depend on the talent we bring in this off-season.
Remmers had a GREAT game against Detroit. His best as a Viking no matter the position.

The line was actually pretty respectable against Detroit. Kirk Cousins officially got hit once on the entire day, and that was on the sack at the end of the first half (by contrast, the Vikings hit Stafford 17 times). And let me tell you ... our line opened a hole big enough for a truck to drive through on Cook's 70-yard dash.
Det is a very poor DLine team this season. Had a guy playing that they jut traded for (one that offers almost nothing via pass rush) and Ziggy just coming back from injury/ still injured. We won't be playing Det if we make playoffs and we need to compare our Oline performance against better competion. I hate when we use their performance against bad teams to justify "grand improvements"
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I don't think people are calling for him to be cut. I think people want this team to put out it's best 5 guys AND consider resigning key players depth players. If I can draft a guy that gives me similar production and still keep 4 other depth players like Harris,
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:10 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Det is a very poor DLine team this season. Had a guy playing that they jut traded for (one that offers almost nothing via pass rush) and Ziggy just coming back from injury/ still injured. We won't be playing Det if we make playoffs and we need to compare our Oline performance against better competion. I hate when we use their performance against bad teams to justify "grand improvements"
Dude, is there anything you don't argue?

Nobody said anything about grand improvements. Just that the O-line played a good game, and Mike Remmers had his best game as a Viking. That's all. Would it be OK with you if I said that? If not, let me know, and I'll resign my position on the board.

And for the record, that "guy they just traded for who offers nothing"? PFF had Damon Harrison rated at 90.0, one of the top D-line performances of the week. But y'know, facts are overrated. In fact, I hate it when we use them.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

My thoughts are we aren't going to want to pay Remmer's tackle money playing guard. Is Remmers willing to take less pay?

What becomes of Easton next season? Do we let him walk?