Training Camp Master Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Training Camp Master Thread

Post by dead_poet »

7/31: Norv Turner presser
‏@ArifHasanNFL Turner: Having 5 of preseason games will be great to figure out the third QB position.
@ArifHasanNFL Turner thinks it's ideal to have 3 QBs but certainly not committed.
@MasterStrib "He's looked surprisingly good in there. It's tough for a guy his size in there...but he's getting tested." -Turner on Mike Harris #Vikings
@ArifHasanNFL Mike Harris looked "surprisingly good" in there at RG. Thinks length and pad level would inhibit his progress there, but working around it.
@ArifHasanNFL Turner appreciates McKinnon's ability to "pull guys to sleep" before exploding forward
@Andrew_Krammer Norv Turner said Mike Harris has looked "surprisingly good" at right guard. Biggest hurdle is adjusting size to quickness needed at guard.
@christomasson Norv turner said he was surprised by how mobile teddy bridgewater was last year didn't show up as much in college
-- probably because his college offensive line was better in pass protection (#burned)
@ArifHasanNFL Turner: We're playing a lot faster [than same time last year] but at same point in install.
@MasterStrib Turner said he doesn't get caught up in completions, incompletions, first downs, etc. "My emphasis is if guys are doing what we ask them to do the way that we ask them to do." - Norv Turner
@christomasson Norv turner said it will help Patterson having back to back systems for first time in five years
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@VikingsCorner Talked with rookie OT T.J. Clemmings after the morning walkthrough. He was continually stressing the importance of technique in this system.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@MasterStrib DE Caesar Rayford is consistently the last player off the field after walkthrough/practice working on technique #Vikings
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

In other news:

‏@VicTafur
McGloin pushing Ponder for backup job already, getting some second-team snaps. #Raiders
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Vikings Corner: Day 5 Training Camp Notebook

Bridgewater continues to perform well, backups make slight improvement
Stefon Diggs is starting to get some love in his effort to win the Mr. Mankato award from 1500ESPN.
For the first time this season, MyCole Pruitt was tested as a blocking tight end. He passed the first exam and perfectly laid a block on linebacker Gerald Hodges in the second level.
Matt Kalil struggled again to handle Everson Griffen. He was beaten on an inside spin move and simply was destroyed off the edge on one occasion.
Defensive tackle Linval Joseph is having an excellent training camp thus far. He is finally using interior leverage and his size to an advantage.
Trae Waynes really struggled to cover the wide receivers. He trailed behind Corrdarelle Patterson on a dig and slant route and pass interference was called on him when he grabbed a hold of Mike Wallace's jersey.
Jeff Locke punted about six balls and three of them landed inside the 5-yard line. Trae Waynes was playing gunner and sprinted down the field to snatch one of the kicks.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

I work freaking hard on this, especially tonight, because I had time. :D

See what you missed in my Training Camp Thread

:govikes:
lateral23
Starter

Post by lateral23 »

I was at camp tonight for the evening practice. I couldn't believe my eyes during the full team stretches and calisthenics, Patterson was completely half-assing everything. For part of it, it appeared he had one of the coaching staff close by talking to him, while he continued to give very little effort to the pre-practice workout. I couldn't tell which member of the coaching staff it was. Through the rest of the evening, he seemed to be giving decent effort, though he was on second team drills. I am not sure if I am overthinking this or if it was as bad as it looked.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

John Sullivan reportedly left practice early because his wife went into labor. So...congratulations to him!

[EDIT]: Which I now see was mentioned in Funk's post. Thanks for the work, by the way!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Funkytown wrote:I work freaking hard on this, especially tonight, because I had time. :D

See what you missed in my Training Camp Thread

:govikes:

Appreciate the hard work.

Week 1 can't get here soon enough.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

lateral23 wrote:I was at camp tonight for the evening practice. I couldn't believe my eyes during the full team stretches and calisthenics, Patterson was completely half-assing everything. For part of it, it appeared he had one of the coaching staff close by talking to him, while he continued to give very little effort to the pre-practice workout. I couldn't tell which member of the coaching staff it was. Through the rest of the evening, he seemed to be giving decent effort, though he was on second team drills. I am not sure if I am overthinking this or if it was as bad as it looked.
If you're worried about how committed he looked to you during his pre-practice stretches and calisthenics, you're definitely over-thinking.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

lateral23
Starter

Post by lateral23 »

Mothman wrote:If you're worried about how committed he looked to you during his pre-practice stretches and calisthenics, you're definitely over-thinking.
I guess that my thinking is that however trivial it might have been, it shows a lack of respect and appreciation for the process.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mark Craig:
@markcraignfl: One thing that has stood out to me in camp is how Peterson is catching the ball so much more smoothly on a consistent basis.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:Well, put on your purple shades and you'll realize that there is always a drop off between the best QBs in the league and their back ups.

See? Isn't that better? ;)
I dont think you need purple shades to see that, I think it would be by far preferable for there to be a sizeable gap between Bridge and his backup.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011