Draft Day Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Day Discussion

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am
But the Packers took Love at 26.

Atlanta could've taken a true impact player at 8. Instead they took a guy who, even if he pans out, won't start a game until he's 26 years old unless Kirk gets hurt again.

Also, you guaranteed $100 million to Cousins. Why wouldn't you put players around him who could help HIM? He's the guy you invested in. The Falcons see themselves as a quarterback away from contending in a weak division and a down NFC. They got their quarterback. Why wouldn't you use that 8th pick to draft someone who could help you in this window?

Sorry man. We just disagree here. This was one of the worst picks I've ever seen in an NFL draft.
It seemed smarter before I realized they can't trade Kirk in a couple of years. Could it be possible they just liked Penix that much? Definitely seems more bizarre to me now.
What is most puzzling to me about the Falcons is they didn't have a need at QB while they did have a need along the defensive line and a potential game-changing defensive edge player was on the board (Turner) when their pick came up. As much as the Falcons might need a QB-of-the-future, they also need to be able to put some pressure on opposing passers.

We'll see how this all turns out but this strikes me as one dumb move (overpaying Cousins) compounded with another dumb move (drafting an older rookie QB with the 8th pick in a draft where you needed defense more than anything else).
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

God damn!! KAM & KOC nailed it last night. I'm super psyched. So they relinquished a 3rd & a couple 4th & 5th rounders. They'll make it up with undrafted free agents. They've done pretty well there. I just noticed the two teams they traded with both have names that start with the letter J (Jets & Jaguars). JJ...cool coincidence. Now get that extension with the other JJ (Justin Jefferson) done.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Demarates wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am Happy with JJ and Dallas, but now the draft is pretty much over for the Vikings...

One 4th rounder plus 2 x 6th and 2 x 7th is all we have left.
Yeah, but it's worth it. McCarthy and Turner should be difference makers. Later picks are usually just bodies.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am What a first round.

KOC got his quarterback … AND Flores got his game-wrecking edge.

I don’t give a damn about value charts. Kwesi killed it.
Exactly. Most of the Mock Draft world had the Vikings moving up and giving the 11th, 23rd, and next year's 1st to get him. Instead they just have to burn a 4th and a 5th. Moving up to 4 or 5 would maybe have matched the "value chart" but so what?
We also got a 6th round pick in the deal softening the blow a little bit. A lot of people thought we would have to sell the farm to get McCarthy. I didn't. Kwesi totally surprised me having the balls to call all the bluffs and get McCarthy for just a mid/late round pick.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I'm wondering if Cousins rehab has been going well, or if they have worries he might have set backs. Anyway it was refreshing to have a GM move up to get what could be as some have said the best defensive player in the draft and a potential all pro for years to come .
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Husker Vike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 am I'm wondering if Cousins rehab has been going well, or if they have worries he might have set backs. Anyway it was refreshing to have a GM move up to get what could be as some have said the best defensive player in the draft and a potential all pro for years to come .
Reports indicate that Cousins was shocked when the Falcons took Penix. I guess he found out while the Falcons were on the clock.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 am
Demarates wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 am Happy with JJ and Dallas, but now the draft is pretty much over for the Vikings...

One 4th rounder plus 2 x 6th and 2 x 7th is all we have left.
Yeah, but it's worth it. McCarthy and Turner should be difference makers. Later picks are usually just bodies.
It's all about impact. Witness KAM's first year when he traded down, leaving Jordan Davis or Kyle Hamilton on the table at 12 for Lewis Cine and Andrew Booth later. Wonder if he'd like to have either one of those two players in exchange for the two he got.

McCarthy could have a major impact. Maybe not right away, but he's even money to at the very least be no worse than Cousins. Turner I think is going to wreck the league out of the gate, especially under Flores.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am
Husker Vike wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:32 am I'm wondering if Cousins rehab has been going well, or if they have worries he might have set backs. Anyway it was refreshing to have a GM move up to get what could be as some have said the best defensive player in the draft and a potential all pro for years to come .
Reports indicate that Cousins was shocked when the Falcons took Penix. I guess he found out while the Falcons were on the clock.
I saw that to. I also saw stunned. I would be shocked also. They can't rush the passer which means your done as a SB contender. The Eagles are the latest example. Record sack number to middle of the road junk sacks and couldn't beat anybody. Even their QB sucked from that. Is it that hard for a GM to see this? Penix could turn out to be the best in this class. Nothing has shown that. Especially that give up under the bright light champ game. Cousins hit the market and made another pile. That helps ease the burden of another organization that has no clue how to win.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am
But the Packers took Love at 26.

Atlanta could've taken a true impact player at 8. Instead they took a guy who, even if he pans out, won't start a game until he's 26 years old unless Kirk gets hurt again.

Also, you guaranteed $100 million to Cousins. Why wouldn't you put players around him who could help HIM? He's the guy you invested in. The Falcons see themselves as a quarterback away from contending in a weak division and a down NFC. They got their quarterback. Why wouldn't you use that 8th pick to draft someone who could help you in this window?

Sorry man. We just disagree here. This was one of the worst picks I've ever seen in an NFL draft.
It seemed smarter before I realized they can't trade Kirk in a couple of years. Could it be possible they just liked Penix that much? Definitely seems more bizarre to me now.
And you and I both know … you can’t trade Kirk even if he doesn’t have a no-trade clause. There are no trade partners for Kirk Cousins. It’s not that teams don’t like him as a QB. It’s that nobody wants to give up assets and take on a huge cap hit for a guy who has one playoff win.

Two teams won this draft … the Bears and the Vikings. The difference is that both of the Bears’ picks came before the Vikes’ first pick. With two picks in the top 9, they SHOULD’VE killed it. The Vikings getting McCarthy and Turner without giving up any current or future firsts is absolutely phenomenal.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
StpViking
Starter

Post by StpViking »

Haven't posted on this board in quite a while. Love what I'm seeing from this semi rebuild. Andrew Van Ginkel AND Dallas Turner on the edge. That's quite the combo. I'm excited to see the 21st century version of the purple people eaters. Let's see who they get for the Alan Page/John Randle role.
White 8DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! Waz Up!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

StpViking wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:21 pm Haven't posted on this board in quite a while. Love what I'm seeing from this semi rebuild. Andrew Van Ginkel AND Dallas Turner on the edge. That's quite the combo. I'm excited to see the 21st century version of the purple people eaters. Let's see who they get for the Alan Page/John Randle role.
Long time. Great to see you. :D
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

The falcons pick at #8 I don't get. Everyone at work was asking me what I thought. Ultimately, I realized I don't care at all. Don't get it, even remotely, with Kirk's contract. Signing him (or any qb in similar position), you should be win now. Very weird move. Whatever, not our issue anymore.

I LOVE last night. So much. Great value. I am ok with having no picks tonight since I think they extracted phenomenal value at the picks last night.

Let's add some iol, cb, and lb depth with late round bodies.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

Here is what is left for Saturday.

Remaining picks
Round 4: No. 108

Round 6: No. 177 (from Carolina through Jacksonville)

Round 6: No. 203

Round 7: No. 230 (from Atlanta through Cleveland and Arizona)

Round 7: No. 232 (from Denver through San Francisco and Houston)
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Feels very much like we got 2 top 10 talents with 11, 23, and change.
We might actually have a decent amount of depth on both sides of the ball...
Day 3 optimism: A lot of top 80 prospects left (according to nfl.com). Feeling a defensive tackle is coming.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

There's always some players from day 3 that pan out. Here's 3 I like. C Tannor Bortolini, G Mason McCormick and QB Mark Gronowsky.