Draft Day Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Draft Day Discussion

Post by VikingsVictorious »

BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 pm
You really need to look into McCarthy more than you have. His stats were sensational just not high volume. He was very strong in pressure situations. I'm so glad we took Addison last year instead of Levis and got JJ this year.
What if it meant getting Levis last year, then Odunze this year? Kwesi did 2 trade ups in the first rd this year, so pretty realistic to get up to 8 above the bears. Jefferson and Odunze. Best tandem in the league. I’m being petty. Odunze > Addison.
We can't know if we would have been able to get Odunze. Maybe. If we were able to get Odunze it may have cost us Turner. Odunze is pretty amazing, but so is Addison. It would be fun. I think McCarthy is a far superior QB prospect to Levis. Do you know how incredible his college stats were. All that was missing is high volume and I'm not concerned about that. I don't think throwing more passes will be a problem.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Happy with JJ and Dallas, but now the draft is pretty much over for the Vikings...

One 4th rounder plus 2 x 6th and 2 x 7th is all we have left.
Tene Quod Bene
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:03 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 pm

What if it meant getting Levis last year, then Odunze this year? Kwesi did 2 trade ups in the first rd this year, so pretty realistic to get up to 8 above the bears. Jefferson and Odunze. Best tandem in the league. I’m being petty. Odunze > Addison.
We can't know if we would have been able to get Odunze. Maybe. If we were able to get Odunze it may have cost us Turner. Odunze is pretty amazing, but so is Addison. It would be fun. I think McCarthy is a far superior QB prospect to Levis. Do you know how incredible his college stats were. All that was missing is high volume and I'm not concerned about that. I don't think throwing more passes will be a problem.
Interesting stat I heard, jj didn’t play in 8 fourth quarters this year because Michigan was blowing people up. Think about that, 8 full quarters were lots of QBs pad their stats in junk time this guy sat and still had 2900 yards and 25 tds. For example if you take 8 4th quarters away from Maye or Penix how many tds and yards would that result in? I’m a beyond stoked we got Jj, imo dudes a stud.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

What a first round.

KOC got his quarterback … AND Flores got his game-wrecking edge.

I don’t give a damn about value charts. Kwesi killed it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am What a first round.

Exactly. Most of the Mock Draft world had the Vikings moving up and giving the 11th, 23rd, and next year's 1st to get him. Instead they just have to burn a 4th and a 5th. Moving up to 4 or 5 would maybe have matched the "value chart" but so what?
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am What a first round.

Exactly. Most of the Mock Draft world had the Vikings moving up and giving the 11th, 23rd, and next year's 1st to get him. Instead they just have to burn a 4th and a 5th. Moving up to 4 or 5 would maybe have matched the "value chart" but so what?
Fully agree with you both. That was a killer first day. Would be great to have a few picks tonight for C and DB, but I'd still take that first round outcome 10 times out of 10. Don't think we have any firepower left to move into tonight's picks but I guess you never know.

Wonder how Kirk (really) felt about the Penix pick?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I was a big fan of the overall strategy. Using later round picks to get more value at the top rather than selling off value at the top to get more value at the bottom. We've been watching the Vikings move down for decades it seems. I haven't done the research though, maybe my memory is off.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

psjordan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am
Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:50 am

Fully agree with you both. That was a killer first day. Would be great to have a few picks tonight for C and DB, but I'd still take that first round outcome 10 times out of 10. Don't think we have any firepower left to move into tonight's picks but I guess you never know.

It's insane.

The Falcons could've taken Rome Odunze and given Kirk a serious weapon.

They could've taken Dallas Turner and upgraded the defense by miles.

Instead ... they took Kirk's replacement!

Is it possible Atlanta has buyer's remorse before Cousins ever takes a snap?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am
psjordan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 am

It's insane.

It's planning for the future and I think its smart even if not immediately helpful. It's how GB ended up with Rodgers and now Love. If Cousins plays well they might even be able to trade him in 2 years. His contract might not look too bad to a team after 2 more increases to the salary cap. They've got a QB that is capable of playing well now and a plan when he's gone or if he's injured.

It's the situation Vikings fans have wished they'd been in all off season.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am I was a big fan of the overall strategy.
I agree, my only caveat is that typically that strategy is married with a "this was a top heavy draft" kind of statement or sentiment, but all indications I've seen is that this is one of the deepest drafts (outside of edge rusher, which makes getting Turner a real coup) in years. One pundit said next year's Edge class is MILES ahead of this year's depth.

So as with all things draft related, you never know until you know. Which is usually two years away.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am
It's insane.

It's planning for the future and I think its smart even if not immediately helpful. It's how GB ended up with Rodgers and now Love.
Hmmm - would GB and Rodgers have one more title had they given him more weapons though? No right or wrong answer I guess, but it's certainly not a clear-cut win to take the "QB of the future" when you have pressing needs. ATL should win that division, but could they have gotten further with a real weapon for Kirk? Or an Edge like Turner?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

psjordan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:51 am
Cliff wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am I was a big fan of the overall strategy.
I agree, my only caveat is that typically that strategy is married with a "this was a top heavy draft" kind of statement or sentiment, but all indications I've seen is that this is one of the deepest drafts (outside of edge rusher, which makes getting Turner a real coup) in years. One pundit said next year's Edge class is MILES ahead of this year's depth.

So as with all things draft related, you never know until you know. Which is usually two years away.
To me that's even more reason to use the ammunition to get arguably the best one in the draft considering their need at the position. Rather than whoever falls to 23 and/or whoever is left in the 4th round. It seems like getting the "left overs" at that position for this draft would have been pretty bad.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

psjordan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 am

It's planning for the future and I think its smart even if not immediately helpful. It's how GB ended up with Rodgers and now Love.
Hmmm - would GB and Rodgers have one more title had they given him more weapons though? No right or wrong answer I guess, but it's certainly not a clear-cut win to take the "QB of the future" when you have pressing needs. ATL should win that division, but could they have gotten further with a real weapon for Kirk? Or an Edge like Turner?
Nothing is a sure thing but it beats the hell out of losing your starter in FA and hoping someone in the draft falls to you or you can trade up for. Plus the investment in a high quality backup at the most important position on the team. It might not pan out, but that's the same at any position, why not invest in QB? The injury risk to their current starter is even a bit increased in Kirk's case.

There will be 2 drafts by the time he starts assuming that Atlanta's plan is for him to sit two seasons. Kirk has a no trade clause, but I bet if he's relegated to backup he'll allow it. Sitting on the bench for two years would hurt his value going into the FA market after his current contract.

Anyway, it's the only strategy that makes sense to me. It might not also be a well thought out plan. Perhaps they're already dissatisfied with Kirk (dumb tampering mistake?) or maybe they think his level of reinjury is higher than they expected originally.

When I first started thinking about this I didn't realize Kirk got another no trade clause. That definitely makes the move stranger. You'd think they go QB in 2 seasons maybe.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

It's insane.

It's planning for the future and I think its smart even if not immediately helpful. It's how GB ended up with Rodgers and now Love. If Cousins plays well they might even be able to trade him in 2 years. His contract might not look too bad to a team after 2 more increases to the salary cap. They've got a QB that is capable of playing well now and a plan when he's gone or if he's injured.

But the Packers took Love at 26.

Atlanta could've taken a true impact player at 8. Instead they took a guy who, even if he pans out, won't start a game until he's 26 years old unless Kirk gets hurt again.

Also, you guaranteed $100 million to Cousins. Why wouldn't you put players around him who could help HIM? He's the guy you invested in. The Falcons see themselves as a quarterback away from contending in a weak division and a down NFC. They got their quarterback. Why wouldn't you use that 8th pick to draft someone who could help you in this window?

Sorry man. We just disagree here. This was one of the worst picks I've ever seen in an NFL draft.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:13 am

But the Packers took Love at 26.

Atlanta could've taken a true impact player at 8. Instead they took a guy who, even if he pans out, won't start a game until he's 26 years old unless Kirk gets hurt again.

Also, you guaranteed $100 million to Cousins. Why wouldn't you put players around him who could help HIM? He's the guy you invested in. The Falcons see themselves as a quarterback away from contending in a weak division and a down NFC. They got their quarterback. Why wouldn't you use that 8th pick to draft someone who could help you in this window?

Sorry man. We just disagree here. This was one of the worst picks I've ever seen in an NFL draft.
It seemed smarter before I realized they can't trade Kirk in a couple of years. Could it be possible they just liked Penix that much? Definitely seems more bizarre to me now.