1st Round Final Prediction

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 1st Round Final Prediction

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:45 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

Great, now I’m nauseas.
:lol:

Honestly, this draft will show us if KAM is all bark and no bite IMHO. If he's just another Spielman or does he bring any real insight to the GM position. Does he make the obvious, desperate moves or does he understand how to play the system like a fine-tuned instrument? Can he get the pick in on time or will he end up speeding up the 1st round ala Mike Tice?

Got to have a little humor in all this. Nobody knows how it will turn out. The Vikings have been so unlucky for so long at the QB position that one has to believe fate owes us a good turn for a change.
We can likely get McCarthy without even using pick 23 this year. It's looking like he will be available until at least pick 8 and it wouldn't cost much to trade up to that pick.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 am

Where did you read or hear that?

That doesn't sound like something a good GM would say.
Reports are he's trying to trade up while holding on to pick 23. Kwesi never said it and it certainly isn't untouchable. Char heard wrong.
I turned hold on to untouchable. I heard or read it but my interpretation had an anti Kewsi spin on it. Feelings for a person will sometimes lead to miss interpretations.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:52 am
VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:45 am

:lol:

Honestly, this draft will show us if KAM is all bark and no bite IMHO. If he's just another Spielman or does he bring any real insight to the GM position. Does he make the obvious, desperate moves or does he understand how to play the system like a fine-tuned instrument? Can he get the pick in on time or will he end up speeding up the 1st round ala Mike Tice?

Got to have a little humor in all this. Nobody knows how it will turn out. The Vikings have been so unlucky for so long at the QB position that one has to believe fate owes us a good turn for a change.
We can likely get McCarthy without even using pick 23 this year. It's looking like he will be available until at least pick 8 and it wouldn't cost much to trade up to that pick.
He has a sniffle more than a bark. He's shown no bite. Perhaps a little nibble at best. You need a little humor. This will dictate the foreseeable future for our team. Any player 27 or older they won't see a SB if we miss. Maybe not even a watered down playoff appearance and extra cash from that. Without looking it up I think Kevin Williams was the wait around dash sprint pick. He was a good player. Looking for anything.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Will the RGIII debacle in Washington cause them to shy away from any running QB and go with a pocket guy? Could they pick Mccarthy?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 am
Reports are he's trying to trade up while holding on to pick 23. Kwesi never said it and it certainly isn't untouchable. Char heard wrong.
I turned hold on to untouchable. I heard or read it but my interpretation had an anti Kewsi spin on it. Feelings for a person will sometimes lead to miss interpretations.
Good of you to recognize your bias. I dislike Kwesi passionately. He never said they were even trying to hold on to the pick. That was just rumors.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 am Will the RGIII debacle in Washington cause them to shy away from any running QB and go with a pocket guy? Could they pick Mccarthy?
Anytime you get a guy that looks to run for yardage they will get banged up. I think they go Jayden. IMO I don't see how a 5th year guy goes up to a possible 1st pick. I understand improvement but that goes beyond that. RGIII was in a bad spot. That was an owners pick. It worked for the entertainment value nobody can deny that. But him in a Shanny offense was a mismatch. I think GMs face that. If an owner says I want this guy guess who the pick will be. The Commanders have little interest. Jayden will provide that with his style. Good luck with that skinny frame. NFL players hit. Ask our guy Hall when he tried to bust through the goal line.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

cmoss84 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 am Will the RGIII debacle in Washington cause them to shy away from any running QB and go with a pocket guy? Could they pick Mccarthy?
That is high for McCarthy based on what is known about him. That would be a real leap of faith to spend the 2nd pick in the draft on the QB with arguably the biggest question marks around him.

It would shake the draft up though as almost nobody expects McCarthy to go in the top 3.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

11) QB Bo Nix
23) CB Cooper DeJean
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:59 pm 11) QB Bo Nix
23) CB Cooper DeJean
I'd love that one. :govikes:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

23) CB Cooper DeJean
Bo is definitely not getting the love from the draft prognosticators. In a lot of the last-second mocks I've looked at he's not even in the first round. This despite a literal feeding frenzy at the QB position early.

Last item of note as we head into the 1st round is the noise around the Giants making a move up. Not sure what they have to sell to make the move worth it, but plenty of chatter about them moving up to as high as 3rd to take McCarthy (who, not without some irony, has drawn comps to Daniel Jones).

On the bright side, I really don't think KAM will deal with the Pats for the 3rd pick. Too expensive and he'd REALLY have to love Maye or McCarthy to make that move. The Pats are in dire need of a QB too and dropping all the way to 11 might not be worth it for them even if they also get 23 and a 1st next year.

If the Giants move up to 3 and take McCarthy, however, I could see KAM hitting the panic button if he wants Maye, because I don't see Maye falling past the Pats if they're sitting at 6.

I still think the way things are setting up KAM might be best-served holding at 11 or even trading back. If 4 of the first 6 picks are QBs, a whole lot of talent at other positions is going to be pushed down the board. KAM might get some very attractive offers for 11 and if Bo Nix is falling he could easily end up scoring Nix between 15-20 while still hanging on to 23 and probably gaining a mid 2nd-to-high-3rd.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 pm
23) CB Cooper DeJean
Bo is definitely not getting the love from the draft prognosticators. In a lot of the last-second mocks I've looked at he's not even in the first round. This despite a literal feeding frenzy at the QB position early.

Last item of note as we head into the 1st round is the noise around the Giants making a move up. Not sure what they have to sell to make the move worth it, but plenty of chatter about them moving up to as high as 3rd to take McCarthy (who, not without some irony, has drawn comps to Daniel Jones).

On the bright side, I really don't think KAM will deal with the Pats for the 3rd pick. Too expensive and he'd REALLY have to love Maye or McCarthy to make that move. The Pats are in dire need of a QB too and dropping all the way to 11 might not be worth it for them even if they also get 23 and a 1st next year.

If the Giants move up to 3 and take McCarthy, however, I could see KAM hitting the panic button if he wants Maye, because I don't see Maye falling past the Pats if they're sitting at 6.

I still think the way things are setting up KAM might be best-served holding at 11 or even trading back. If 4 of the first 6 picks are QBs, a whole lot of talent at other positions is going to be pushed down the board. KAM might get some very attractive offers for 11 and if Bo Nix is falling he could easily end up scoring Nix between 15-20 while still hanging on to 23 and probably gaining a mid 2nd-to-high-3rd.
I just want us to either make a slight trade up for McCarthy giving up very little more than 11. Or stick and pick best QB at 11. I don't want us to get "cute" and trade back.