Justin Jefferson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Justin Jefferson

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 am
CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:12 am
I would trade Addison for Levis. But I doubt the Titians would do it. We will never be able to keep both Addison and Jefferson. The cap hit would be to large for the position group. One will need to go. Of course you can take away from other position groups and make them weak. Of course none of this will happen because the Titians want to see what they have in Levis year 2. He will struggle and then they will do it again. We are about to go through that same process of waiting years to see if the right guy was picked.
You're in favor of trading a likely Pro Bowl receiver for an at best middle of the pack QB, because you believe the WR will get too expensive. Sorry Char, but I'm shocked. Doing that eliminates all chance of us ever becoming a good team until we replace that QB with somebody good..
It's hard to say what Levis will become just like Addison. Both played well for rookies at there positions. Addison is a good player but he was much better the first half of the season. Having no QB the 2nd half didn't help. Dobbs missed him on an easy TD when the guy covering him fell down. He threw it 10 yards out of bounds. Levis threw 8 TDs with 4 in one game. QB is the hardest position and doing anything as a rookie is probably the hardest in football. But the Mac Jones story proves it provides little input to determine the outcome. He was a good rookie and now would be cut but there is a need for bums as backups. We had a team with 2 HOF WRs (Carter, Moss) and a very good 3rd guy (Reed). That was my favorite group in our history. That team was shut out 41-0 in the champ game against the Giants. Nothing at QB killed us. That same core went 15-1 during the season and lost a home Champ game. Again nothing at QB. QB needs to replace now so I would make the trade but I highly doubt the Titians will. They have a 3rd rounder who was projected as a 1st rounder riding the bench waiting for his rookie contract to end and move on.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:56 am

You're in favor of trading a likely Pro Bowl receiver for an at best middle of the pack QB, because you believe the WR will get too expensive. Sorry Char, but I'm shocked. Doing that eliminates all chance of us ever becoming a good team until we replace that QB with somebody good..
It's hard to say what Levis will become just like Addison. Both played well for rookies at there positions. Addison is a good player but he was much better the first half of the season. Having no QB the 2nd half didn't help. Dobbs missed him on an easy TD when the guy covering him fell down. He threw it 10 yards out of bounds. Levis threw 8 TDs with 4 in one game. QB is the hardest position and doing anything as a rookie is probably the hardest in football. But the Mac Jones story proves it provides little input to determine the outcome. He was a good rookie and now would be cut but there is a need for bums as backups. We had a team with 2 HOF WRs (Carter, Moss) and a very good 3rd guy (Reed). That was my favorite group in our history. That team was shut out 41-0 in the champ game against the Giants. Nothing at QB killed us. That same core went 15-1 during the season and lost a home Champ game. Again nothing at QB. QB needs to replace now so I would make the trade but I highly doubt the Titians will. They have a 3rd rounder who was projected as a 1st rounder riding the bench waiting for his rookie contract to end and move on.
I'll stake my predicting cred that Levis is never a pro bowl QB. I would also say that Addison will be a pro bowler, but I'm going to wait until I see how our QB situation works out.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Cliff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:17 am
BeforeIDie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 pm

2nd rd talent QB, regarding Levis, is assuming he doesn’t amount to much. Was Brady a 5th rd talent? Would you trade Andrew Booth jr for Will Levis right now? And, as has been stated before in this same thread, Hooker went in the 3rd rd. And there is FREE AGENCY. I’d rather have Case Keenum right now than Sam Darnold, especially given the Monopoly money. I am seeing Mel Kiper (heard of him?) mock the Vikings trading 11, 23, AND the 2025 1st for Mcarthy. That’s a bigger investment gamble than paying Kirk even $50 Milly a year. And speaking of hindsight… Addison is an easy example to use in hindsight. Addison could have easily turned out terrible. And yes, Id trade Addison for Will Levis straight up right now (IF the Vikings don’t acquire a QB in the first rd this year). I also wouldn’t have minded having Hooker on our team last season for a 3rd, especially since we would’ve seen him swim in the deep end given the Kirk Achilles.
So then the Vikings have done exactly what you want already. Drafted a QB in the 5th and had him sit behind Cousins for a year. In fact, you should be thrilled with how the Vikings have handled QB over the last 20 or so years. Drafting QBs low and/or signing them from free agency.

Mel Kiper says a lot of things.

Anyway, I'm not saying QBs in lower rounds CAN'T be good but that strategy hasn't panned out for the Vikings and I'm tired of watching it.

I must’ve communicated poorly. I was responding to your comment labeling Levis as a “2nd rd talent” and using an example of how Brady was not a 5th rd talent just because he was drafted there.

I cannot stand drafting QB in later rounds. We are on the EXACT same page there. I typically would rather shoot for the sky at QB. But in this particular draft, the standard deviation between the projected 1QB and 6QB, arguably, is closer than it normally is. This is not a Luck/Burrow/Manning draft where it’s more of a sure thing. I like Maye, but 3 1sts for him… or even worse, 3 1sts for Mcarthy is no bueno considering the talent available for just 1 1st. And Mcarthy is not exciting to watch… I think I saw that posted in another thread. There doesn’t seem to be anything exceptional about him. He’s not the best running QB in this draft, or the best passer. I keep seeing this stuff about him being a great LEADER… I’ll take a golden arm before I take social skills when choosing traits for the position of QB in the NFL. And you know when it’s easy to be a leader? When your team always wins. And Mcarthy was about 5th on the totem pole of the reason that team won a lot.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Lions just made Brown the highest paid wide receiver. Over 120 million dollar deal.
“4 years 120 million “
Sure going to make paying JJ tougher.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am Lions just made Brown the highest paid wide receiver. Over 120 million dollar deal.
“4 years 120 million “
Judging by his instagram post I think his deals already done.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

halfgiz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am Lions just made Brown the highest paid wide receiver. Over 120 million dollar deal.
“4 years 120 million “
$77 Million guaranteed.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 am
“4 years 120 million “
Can you help me out with his instagram?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:11 pm
allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 am

Sure can. 3 days ago he posted a bunch of pictures with the caption “The money speakin for itself, I call it a fortune-tell.” Many fans and writers have a theory he is already signed but the Vikings are waiting to announce it. Or did you want a link to his IG?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm
Sure can. 3 days ago he posted a bunch of pictures with the caption “The money speakin for itself, I call it a fortune-tell.” Many fans and writers have a theory he is already signed but the Vikings are waiting to announce it. Or did you want a link to his IG?
Thanks.
I don't take much of anything out of that. It's just weird.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:07 pm

Thanks.
I don't take much of anything out of that. It's just weird.
Heck I’m only 33 and I don’t get half of social media nowadays lol. It definitely is a bit cryptic though.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I am really puzzled how people can conclude anything from what JJ posted on his IG. When I read what he wrote I see him saying contracts other receivers are signing have set the bar for where his future deal will be and not necessarily that the Vikings have jumped over that bar yet.

I also find it very interesting how receivers talk about money all the time. When Addison was drafted I think the first thing he said was along the lines of "time to get paid".
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm

I am really puzzled how people can conclude anything from what JJ posted on his IG. When I read what he wrote I see him saying contracts other receivers are signing have set the bar for where his future deal will be and not necessarily that the Vikings have jumped over that bar yet.

I also find it very interesting how receivers talk about money all the time. When Addison was drafted I think the first thing he said was along the lines of "time to get paid".
Sure everyone will take it different ways. To be fair playing in the nfl is their job and most people’s jobs one of the main factor is money.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:37 pm

Sure everyone will take it different ways. To be fair playing in the nfl is their job and most people’s jobs one of the main factor is money.
Totally understandable that money is a factor. It just seems like it is a focus for players at that position when they talk in public. Moreso than other positions but maybe that is just my impression.

I guess it is similar to rappers in the music industry. Singers in other genres of music make plenty of money as well, but it isn't part of their public identity the way it seems to be for rappers.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 pm
allday1991 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 pm

Totally understandable that money is a factor. It just seems like it is a focus for players at that position when they talk in public. Moreso than other positions but maybe that is just my impression.

I guess it is similar to rappers in the music industry. Singers in other genres of music make plenty of money as well, but it isn't part of their public identity the way it seems to be for rappers.
Maybe Cpt Kirk needs to make all his money part of his public identity. Although I picture him as a working mans QB who is currently helping load a rental U-Haul for the stuff he has stored in his basement I thought maybe he should change his number. Some players pay a certain fee to have their favorite number Kirk should go in a different direction. Instead of wearing No 8 just have a dollar sign printed on his jersey. That will get the haters back out in full force. First comment will be typical loser Kirk flashing his money on his uniform. Bottom line money is always a factor. If you have a skill get the most you can from that skill. I've seen that my entire working life in IT. People would come and go in a snap of the finger. Of course IT don't pay what a highly skilled NFL QB can get. Get it while you can.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 am Bottom line money is always a factor. If you have a skill get the most you can from that skill. I've seen that my entire working life in IT. People would come and go in a snap of the finger. Of course IT don't pay what a highly skilled NFL QB can get. Get it while you can.
I'm not begrudging anyone their money or relative worth. I'm trying to point out that at the WR position there is almost a cultural glorification around the money. It's almost like a WR's identity has to do with the glitz and glam around money.

Like I said earlier in this thread, that could just be my impression (and probably is).